NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

I'll look into this. I can also get my hands on some rarities :nerd: if anyone is looking to start trading..

I've also asked in here but it seems like no one is interested. I'm interested though.

We should do a check to see how many people would be up for it and the beers we have available. There's a lot of sweet elixirs out there that are just too far to get a hold of.

Saturday was the second time in my life where I've driven to Other Half, taken one look at the line, said "**** this" and got right back in my car to drive home.  Line was about 600 deep at 5:30 AM.  Part of me is kicking myself now because I had a friend who stuck it out and got the full allotment, but he's throwing a few cans my way to soften the blow.  I guess that's a win overall.

Anywho...I've been drinking good as of the past few weeks:

Other Half Watch It Fall Slowly.  4.9% Non-traditional Pilsner hopped with Palisade, Citra, and Huell Melon.  I really like when Other Half strays away from IPAs and this one is no exception.  Definitely has that crisp pilsner backbone but the hops give it a really nice fruity/juicy characteristic.  Perfect summer crusher.  Wish I bought more than one 4-pack.

Grimm DDH Tesseract.  Having grown disillusioned by some of Grimm's most recent hoppy offerings, it was nice to try a tweaked version of a beer from them that I know is very good.  This one delivered.  Notably more flavorful than the OG Tesseract, which was already a very tasty beer.  Still somewhat "soft" on the mouthfeel.  Has that textbook "gummy candy" flavor that Grimm is known for.  Glad I got a can of this.

Tired Hand Pineal.  First Tired Hands beer I've had that wasn't a collaboration.  Honestly?  This is fine, but nothing to write home about.  "Generic" is the first word that pops into my head.  Nothing stands out about this one to me.  A good beer, but forgettable.  A solid 8/10.

This, on the other hand, was fantastic.  Curiosity Thirty Seven.  I've been somewhat underwhelmed by Tree House in the past, but this one showed me the errors in my ways.  This was like Julius on crack.  Huge orange/citrus notes with some stone fruits.  Mouthfeel is unreal for 6.6%.  Protein shake level creaminess.  My favorite beer of 2017 so far, possibly one of my favorites of all time.  I'm a believer now.  

Trillium Big Sprang.  "Kolsch Inspired" Ale hopped with Nelson Sauvin.  Hard to call this much of a Kolsch, but it's still quite tasty.  It's a bastardized IPA, but coming from Trillium that's not exactly the worst thing.  Viney/white grape notes with a bready/crackery note.  Nice stuff.

Scored a ton of Haze in some trades.  Glad to revisit.  Big stone fruit characteristic on this one.  Up there with Green and Alter Ego as my favorite flagships from Tree House. 

Barrier Tanto.  This one was weird.  Up front the beer is incredible.  Huge citrus/tropical notes, but the back-end is a mess.  Has that off-putting chewable Tylenol bitterness that some of these hazy IPAs fall victim too.  If they could mitigate that taste this would be fantastic.  Barrier has shown a lot of potential with their recent offerings, but there's still room for improvement. 

Grimm Living Daylights.  DDH Sour Ale.  I've been slacking on my sour consumption/purchases as of late, but this one has me questioning my choices.  The nose is incredible on this, though the hops tend to dominate there.  Taste is just as satisfying.  Essentially a mildly sour IPA.  This was hitting the spot on a sunny day.  Fantastic.

Grimm Candlepower.  Farmhouse Ale with sage and pink peppercorns.  I've been holding onto this bottle since last Fall.  I've been straying away from Farmhouse Ales, but this one was pretty nice.  The sage and the peppercorns played off of the natural spiciness of the farmhouse yeast really well.  Not a beer I'd ever load up on, but this was very enjoyable for what it was.  

This is gonna be a big beer week for me.  I'm on vacation from work so I'm making the trip out to Tree House and Trillium on Wednesday, then I'm heading to Philly on Saturday to spend the weekend at my brother's place.  Lord knows I'll be stopping at Other Half on the way there and Tired Hands on the way back.  I'm gonna have some serious fridge-cleaning to do this week.
laugh.gif

I was hearing this was better than Heady, Na. But definitely a good beer. Not as smooth and a less floral taste.

Last edited:
Where are some good spots to get brews in the LA/OC area? I'm near lone hill liquor but they sell everything chilled. I'm looking for room temp since that's how I store.

This is gonna be a big beer week for me.  I'm on vacation from work so I'm making the trip out to Tree House and Trillium on Wednesday, then I'm heading to Philly on Saturday to spend the weekend at my brother's place.  Lord knows I'll be stopping at Other Half on the way there and Tired Hands on the way back.  I'm gonna have some serious fridge-cleaning to do this week. :lol:  
if you're looking to get cans at Tired Hands they typically only release Wednesdays, FYI

if you plan to get growlers they only fill their own (this is not state law) but if you have another growler they will exchange at no cost...i swapped out a blank one for one of theirs which is a flip top

Fermentaria and the original brew pub are about 3 blocks apart...if you get any food get the bread w/ butter, fennel seed and salt at the brew pub :smokin

This is gonna be a big beer week for me.  I'm on vacation from work so I'm making the trip out to Tree House and Trillium on Wednesday, then I'm heading to Philly on Saturday to spend the weekend at my brother's place.  Lord knows I'll be stopping at Other Half on the way there and Tired Hands on the way back.  I'm gonna have some serious fridge-cleaning to do this week.
laugh.gif

if you're looking to get cans at Tired Hands they typically only release Wednesdays, FYI

if you plan to get growlers they only fill their own (this is not state law) but if you have another growler they will exchange at no cost...i swapped out a blank one for one of theirs which is a flip top

Fermentaria and the original brew pub are about 3 blocks apart...if you get any food get the bread w/ butter, fennel seed and salt at the brew pub
smokin.gif
Yeah I figured as much.  Really just planned on going there to eat, have a few drinks, and pick up a growler or two.  

Anybody get their Fundamental Observation bottles? Got 2, but couldn't score Number Crunch.

Got my 3 bottles. Had my phone and my wife's phone going. Had 3 in her cart and I messed up and only clicked 2 in mine. Went with hers. All while sitting at brunch.
Also got a glass. Didn't even try for Number Crunch after I had just dropped $75 on 3 bottles of beer.

Where are some good spots to get brews in the LA/OC area? I'm near lone hill liquor but they sell everything chilled. I'm looking for room temp since that's how I store.
Honestly? Just go to the forums on Beer Advocate. There are a TON of threads on LA/OC bottles shops in the Pacific forum.
Good luck on the room temp thing. You'll need to hit up a Total Wine or Bevmo.
If a place has shelf and cooler space, the good stuff usually goes in the cooler and the shelf turds get left out.

This smells and tastes very sour with a funky twang following through out. It adds a musty smell that intermingles with the passionfruit. I suspect this was the base for their collab with Wakefield which was also amazing. I wouldn't have minded more flavor being imparted by the oak but it doesn't take away from it. I have a new favorite brewery.

Last edited:
Thankful to have a trading buddy that's always looking out for me.  Came home to this bounty on my doorstep:

nthat.gif

Anywho...onto the first one:

Interboro/Other Half Another Dose.  7.8% DDH IPA brewed with Mosaic and Centennial then dry-hopped with more Centennial as well as Mosaic and Citra lupulin powder.  There wasn't much hype surrounding this one before its release, but that changed really fast once people tried it.  I can see why.  Very reminiscent of Tree House Julius.  Huge citrus and tropical notes, but has a pretty strong melon flavor that sets it apart from other IPAs.  Full/chewy mouthfeel on this one.  One of the best IPAs I've had this year.  Hoping they remake this one.

Alright...I had to dive right in:

Other HalfxMonkishxTrillium Fully Loaded Baked Potato.  10% ABV Wheat/Oat Imperial IPA triple dry-hopped with Mosaic, Galaxy, Denali, and Kohatu.  This is as intense as it sounds on paper.  Drinks like a tropical smoothie.  Not all that boozy for 10%, but some of that thickness in the mouthfeel definitely comes from the syrupy characteristic of the beer.  Very good, but very, very intense.  Reminiscent of the 3rd Anniversary Other Half IPA, but I think I prefer 3rd Anniversary due to the fact that it was the more drinkable beer.  Feel super fortunate for the chance to try this one, but I don't regret bailing on the release.  Who knows? Maybe this just needs a week or two.  I'll report back at a later date about that one.

Man I still taste and dream about my trip to NYC lol, Other Half blew my mind. I need a trading buddy, any takers I'm in Chicago? Lol

Okay...last one for the night here:

Other HalfxMonkish Twice Baked Potato. DDH Imperial IPA brewed with Vic Secret, Simcoe, Citra, Riwaka, and Galaxy.  I'm not gonna front like this beer isn't delicious; because it is.  However, I will note that this beer is very reminiscent of a lot of Other Half IPAs.  This one in particular tastes a lot like No Layups/Raining Threes. Almost identical, really.  Then again, I guess that will happen when you're constantly putting out new stuff.  Maybe I should just be thankful that I live close to a world-class brewery that has new beers to try week after week.  

Honestly? Just go to the forums on Beer Advocate. There are a TON of threads on LA/OC bottles shops in the Pacific forum.
Good luck on the room temp thing. You'll need to hit up a Total Wine or Bevmo.
If a place has shelf and cooler space, the good stuff usually goes in the cooler and the shelf turds get left out.

Appreciate it. I prefer room temp because there's usually little - no space in the fridge, with room temp I just put brew in the freezer for an hour and drink. mostly shop at bevmo/costco and alpine village in torrance

Okay...last one for the night here:

Minus whale do a taters review tonight too

[emoji]127995[/emoji]‍♂️
Hahaha by the time I had finished Twice Baked I was set for the night.  Fortunately the Summer of Ford rages on and has allowed me to get an early start today:

Other HalfxMonkish Taters.  A 5.5% DDH Pale Ale with Enigma and Riwaka.  Excited going into this one considering that I'm not entirely familiar with Enigma or Riwaka.  I missed the single hop IPA Other Half did with Riwaka and I heard some pretty good things.  My first impressions of this beer are very flattering.  Getting flavors of strawberry, peach, and passionfruit.  Balanced out nicely by the malts.  Super flavorful while managing to be super drinkable.  Mouthfeel isn't at that Tree House level, but it's full enough for a 5.5% pale ale.  Out of the three cans this is my favorite of the bunch.  Nice to have something that tastes completely different from the usual Other Half fare. 

I decided to bail on my plans to hit up Tree House and Trillium today once I figured out the logistics of the trip.  Just didn't make sense to waste an entire day scoring beer that I could easily trade for.  It especially doesn't make sense when you consider that Sand City is probably releasing something within the next 48 hours and the fact that I'll be going to both Other Half and Tired Hands this weekend.  Oh well...not like I'm low on beer anyways. 
laugh.gif

In FL this week. Quick pit stop at Funky Buddha. Looking forward to that barrell aged sour on the right. J.wakefield has two stouts and a barley wine I'm picking up this weekend as well.

Back
Top Bottom