NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Decided to make Julius the first beer to crack open... not sure how I feel yet.

First impressions: it's ok?

Edit: it wasn't impressive by any means. Lackluster in my opinion.
Hopefully alter ego restores my faith

Last edited:
Been a little slow for me since Irma. Starting to pick back up.

Does the Pop! Series use the same base as Super Shine?

20170924_063546~2-1039x922.jpg

Got a single of synchopathic apricot and had to go and get a pack. This stuff is really good. Stone fruit compliments it really well. The only complaint I can see against it is a lack of complexity, but imo it doesn't need it.

Last edited:
Founders breakfast Stout finally released around me for its fall release. Wondering how it tastes. Anyone try this year's version yet? I'm sitting at nearly 50 days since having a beer. I do know that I have only four or five FBSs left. So when the dead of winter does hit and I eventually do want a beer, fbs may be it. Price went up though. $12/ four pack. They used to be $9.99.

any suggestions/experience for gluten free/gluten removed beer...?
If you have any Total Wines or Bevmos near you, you can go to their website and search local stores.
You can create your own six packs at TW so you could try a variety and see which ones you like.

Where do you live?

If you have any Total Wines or Bevmos near you, you can go to their website and search local stores.
You can create your own six packs at TW so you could try a variety and see which ones you like.

houston...found out i have ibs yesterday... doc suggested to try out some gluten free's to see how i react...

grabbed a "glutiny" from new belgium...was looking for some other brews though..might give omission a shot but all they had was the lager...not much of a fan of lagers...

appreciate the help...

I had no real date set on a return to beer. Just when I felt like beer again. Made it to day 49. 1st beer back was a two hearted. Hadn't had that in over 3-4 years. Somewhat basic but I feel my palate is just so open right now. It's hard to digest these flavors.

Floral and citrus vibe with two hearted. Not overly aromatic at all. Seemed quite dry and crisp. No real lingering sweetness. Ibus seemed intense and lingering. Quite a treat to experience the malt backbone flavors. I usually miss those with a wrecked palate.

Then FBS was up next. Same sort of lighter mouth feel not intensely sweet vibe. Intensely bitter on the tongue though.

I feel like a newbie lol.

I recommend everyone to take some time off and revisit older beers. Totally new experience.

I will say fresh FBS is nicer on a coffee front but the hops do show. Ibu is listed around 60. Bottle date is 9/1. Older bottle seem to bring out more sweetness less coffee. It's a tough choice between the two.

I had no real date set on a return to beer. Just when I felt like beer again. Made it to day 49. 1st beer back was a two hearted. Hadn't had that in over 3-4 years. Somewhat basic but I feel my palate is just so open right now. It's hard to digest these flavors.

Floral and citrus vibe with two hearted. Not overly aromatic at all. Seemed quite dry and crisp. No real lingering sweetness. Ibus seemed intense and lingering. Quite a treat to experience the malt backbone flavors. I usually miss those with a wrecked palate.

Then FBS was up next. Same sort of lighter mouth feel not intensely sweet vibe. Intensely bitter on the tongue though.

I feel like a newbie lol.

I recommend everyone to take some time off and revisit older beers. Totally new experience.

I will say fresh FBS is nicer on a coffee front but the hops do show. Ibu is listed around 60. Bottle date is 9/1. Older bottle seem to bring out more sweetness less coffee. It's a tough choice between the two.

Couldn't hold out for one more? :lol:

Either way, you're a stronger man than I am. I haven't been drinking a whole lot, but I definitely need to have at least 1 a week before the addiction gets too strong.

^i missed some amazing releases around my way. That FOMO can over take ones soul. I got past that pretty quickly. Like I said, I never really had a goal in mind. I was just sick of beer. Weather got gloomy around here and I felt like some FBS. So I bought some up. I hate restrictions so I never really had labels.

But now

Everything tastes so light (in mouth feel) , crisp, and bitter. Taste buds don't know what to think. Beer is definitely tasting worse off right now. 0.5 to entire 1.0 rating levels off.

My brain can process the lighter macro beers fine but anything with a big punch of flavor, the bitterness almost comes off as sour/tart in some sense. What the hell have i done?

Now I'm tasting band aid off flavors in my favorite ipas? I think I need to quit again. I've screwed something good up. Lol.

I've never not had a beer at least once a week for 7-8 years now. This totally feels like I'm relearning what I like and don't like. Liking the macros and anything with flavor is frying my circuits.

Interesting challenge imho.

Last edited:
I’m at chico state for school. So we’re extremly spoiled with the cheap $6.99 6pack of Sierra Nevada brews. Have a saying here that when you move up you hate Sierra but end up loving it. I’ve tried every single brew they have to offer and they really got me into IPA’s when I swear I used to hate them. Torpedo is one of my new favorite beers to sip, their lighter beers are amazing with food. The brew that just released is the wet hop IPA. Pretty much just 3-4 different hops that give it a crazy depth. Has a super awkward color tho. Not much of a fan.

My favorite beers from them so far are torpedo, old chico pale rock, old chico amber ale, summerfest and Oktoberfest. Kellerweis gets a mention because to me it’s the least bitter and the banana after taste is dope for a hef.

^^^
You're literally the 666th responder, what ever that means !!

VooDoo Ranger New Belgium IPA for tonight :pimp:

Not gonna sip Beer with alcoholic content below 7%.

Weekend brews. Temescal Brewing Staycation IPA brewed with mosaic, montueka and simcoe. Third beer from them. Really digging this one. Nice tropical notes with a soft bitter finish.

IMG_3821.JPG

Sipping on this tonight. Wow! This drinks way too easy for the ABV. Vanilla notes throughout with chocolate and slight oakiness. You do get a slight burn though but that's expected for a 16% beer. Delicious!

IMG_3801.JPG

Venturing out of LA to the OC lately. Pickups from last two weeks. Saving them for dodger playoffs next week.

Attachments

• D4CD26B1-9616-430C-871C-DDADE7033AF2.jpeg
    D4CD26B1-9616-430C-871C-DDADE7033AF2.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 3
Any San Diego nt members have any recommendations for new or under rated breweries or restaurants with solid tap lists? I'll be in the area next month for the breeders cup in del Mar.

Some three days off from a solid hiatus, the vast majority of beers are not tasting like it used to. Every one is tasting a bit watered down and bitter. I went 4 IPAs deep yesterday and what should have been a crazy eventful day seemed way too average.

What used to feel like solid mouth feel ipas are feeling very light and watered down. Only beer to come thru for me was stones xocoveza and more or less OB death by coconut. That seemed to taste the same as in the past. The adjuncts are tasting better than ever before. Regular Ipas though. I feel like a different person.

I think I'll lay low until my SD trip. I guess I didn't miss beer like I thought I would. Nice reality check. Although I'm not sure what person is the right one to review beers. My former self or how I see beer now?

Couldn't make the GABF this year. Instead I splurged a bit.

Yearly Xococeza stock up. 2017s supply just dropped.
F6D0FB57-8468-424A-92FB-D0DE6B829086.jpeg

Some fresh 50-50 fbs x xoco happening later today. Impressions to follow.

So I made it past the phase where all beer was tasting like watered down bitter yuck juice. It took four days of me just trying and finding something I may like.

Day 5 and about my 8-9th beer between that time frame, it all came together. Finished off some Bell's two hearted. Tasting superb. Nothing seemed to be overly bitter any more. Back to my comfort zone. I know everyone's different. Very eye opening stuff. I may never trust another review score again.

Wet hop season is in full effect! Picked these up today:

FW Sploosh citra wet hop DIPA
FW Flower Ranger mosaic wet hop IPA
Alvarado Duane's World IPA mosaic wet hop IPA
Alvarado Vengeful Barbarian IPA

IMG_3826.JPG

Xocos not out yet here but I had a 2017 FBS last night and there was a slight sour coffee taste in it.
Having take some 7 odd weeks away from any beer, jumping back in was brutal to my senses. What I perceived as sour or tart was very close to IBUs and bitterness. I did initially find '17 FBS more bitter than normal but that seemed to settle down after a couple days/tries.

XOCOVEZA. Sadly I want to say this one is drinking a bit hot right now. Lighter in mouthfeel and the IBUs seem to take over a bit of the overall flavor. You can even see cinnamon powder residue as you drink the beer now. By choice? No idea. I'm sad its not drinking great out of the gate like years past.

Now a 50-50 BLEND! WOW.. The harshness of so many vibrant flavors from XOCOVEZA is muted with this blend. There is more coffee from FBS, and more mouthfeel and sweetness. Overall, pretty much the perfect beer.

Not sure if its just me getting back into the swing of things, but for the most part, FBS and XOCO are feeling a bit more IBU heaven this time around. I happened to sample some KBS, parabola, and 1050 from a year back, and those do not seem to have much of a full IBU blast like these recent stouts. Older is almost drinking better

Local brewery (la cumbre) released a 8% NE style ipa collab preview today with who I assume to be Modern Times.
ADFEA876-2C89-40B2-9187-C5C38589A468.jpeg
South African southern passion hops bringing all of the NE glory to the SW and soon to be Cali/MT distribution foot print. Easily on par with any sort of hyped Trillium level DIPAs. Can release next month

I guess it's cool that it's sitting on less than six check ins for the day compared to what hyped brewery may do in the hundreds within hours. I guess its with or without saying, with 6,000 plus breweries, the hole in the wall type places may surprise you. This was the first palate shifting senses awakening beer that I've had in a 7 week time frame. This is what and why I love the newer style ipa/dipas right here. A true perception changing beer. Be on the look out.

Back
Top Bottom