NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Just got back from Sand City's 2nd Anniversary release. Easily the craziest release Sand City has ever done. Got there 2 hours before opening and I was still about 100th on line. Enjoying one of the cans at the moment, but before I get to that let's go over some of the cool stuff I've had recently:

unnamed.jpg

Tilted Barn Violet. This one was super impressive. Huge creamy component to this one. Very similar to the "daydream" series Other Half is doing, but I don't think this has any of the adjuncts that the Other Half beers have to create those qualities. One of the better IPAs I've had this year.

unnamed-1.jpg

Tilted Barn Propagator. This is a rotational beer, but the one in the photo is a 6.5% ABV IPA. Got a lot of the same creamy/lush characteristics as Violet, but I preferred Violet by a narrow margin. Still an incredible beer.

unnamed-2.jpg

Other Half DDH All Enigma Everything. I enjoyed the first iteration of this, and the DDH version takes it to the next level. Enigma has a bunch of flavors that I can't quite put my finger on. It's almost like watermelon/citrus/green onion in the best way possible. Not my favorite hop, but still very enjoyable.

unnamed-3.jpg

Sand City Infinity Minus ONE (+2). Formerly Infinity+ONE. I loved this beer when it was first canned, but this batch isn't what I remembered it being. Color is noticeably different with less haze. Still smells great and tastes good too, but I had high hopes for this batch and it didn't fully deliver. Still a very good beer, but the first batch was phenomenal.

unnamed-4.jpg

Other Half DDH Hop Showers w/ Motueka. This beer was created for the naysayers/people that snub their nose at Other Half's flagship beers. This batch was absolutely insane. Like drinking a carbonated tropical fruit cocktail. Couldn't believe how good this was, and it seems like a lot of people on BeerAdvocate felt the same. One of Other Half's best beers so far this year, which is saying something.

unnamed-5.jpg

Other Half Cream of Broccoli. Basically just Broccoli with the addition of lactose sugar to make it creamier (Broccoli is already an oat IPA). This is good stuff, but I think I prefer the original Broccoli. Sometimes I prefer hop bite over smooth and creamy.

unnamed-6.jpg

Other Half Vic Secret+Mosaic. This is an awesome beer. Pretty much encapsulates everything I liked about OG Other Half beers and really dialed them in. A super intense, punch-in-the-face juice bomb that I've come to know and love.

unnamed-7.jpg

Other Half x Bellwoods High Ballers on Death Mountain. Brewed with guava, hibiscus, and lime. This was like City Slickers on acid. I could see how some wouldn't enjoy this, but I was digging it.

unnamed-8.jpg

Sand City 2. 9% and brewed with Galaxy, Citra, Amarillo, Mosaic, and Simcoe. Booze is virtually nonexistent on this one. Still a bit green/bitter, but this can is as fresh as they come. Excited to see how these develop over the next few weeks.

Cheers, NT!

Day off today. Roommate is moving to Cali on Wednesday to start a new job. Decided to split something nice with him as a send-off:

unnamed.jpg

Honest opinion? It's fine.

Definitely the most bourbon-forward barrel aged stout I've ever had. Almost like a 75/25 ratio in favor of the bourbon. Nice warming characteristic after you take a sip, but the flavor of the booze is pretty subdued. This has much more oak flavor than OG BCBS. Less sweetness as well. Whereas the OG has big notes of vanilla, fudge, toasted coconut, etc., this has more of the "refined" notes of bourbon (tobacco, leather, oak, etc.). Is this worth the extra money compared to the OG? In my opinion, no. Is this considerably better than the OG? In my opinion, no. Hell...I thought the bomber of Perrin No Rules that I had a few weeks back was better than this. Good beer, but don't believe the hype.

Interesting to see your feedback on Rare. I had it about about a year ago at Goose event and was a little underwhelmed, not to say it was a bad beer...I guess I just hyped it up so much in my head. It's definitely a good beer for bourbon lovers.

I've gotta say I'm surprised to see you hold No Rules in such a high regard. That beer as always been very sweet to me.

Interesting to see your feedback on Rare. I had it about about a year ago at Goose event and was a little underwhelmed, not to say it was a bad beer...I guess I just hyped it up so much in my head. It's definitely a good beer for bourbon lovers.

I've gotta say I'm surprised to see you hold No Rules in such a high regard. That beer as always been very sweet to me.
It is an extremely sweet beer, but it has enough complexity to it to justify its presence. I've come to realize I tend to favor coffee/dessert stouts more than barrel-aged stouts. I've never been a fan of bourbon/other spirits, but I could appreciate their presence in a big, thick stout. I'm a hop-head to the core though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Going in the total opposite direction, this one was NOT a letdown whatsoever:

unnamed.jpg

Hudson Vally Brewery Amorphia. 6% Sour IPA brewed with raw wheat, malted oat, milk sugar, strawberries, and vanilla beans hopped with Mosaic and El Dorado. I had heard a lot of glowingly positive things about their sour IPAs/sours in general going into this, and this lived up to the hype and then some. This rides the line perfectly between sour and hoppy. Perfect amount of tartness. The addition of the milk sugar, vanilla beans, and strawberries bring this to the next level. This is like liquid strawberry shortcake. Hudson Valley has gained quite the following in the short time they've been open. Their value on the secondary market is up there with the top breweries/most hyped beers, and I can see why. One of the best, if not THE best beer I've had all year.

Had this the other night when the NLDS started. I'll have another when the NLCS starts. And my 3rd can? >D We'll see.
PKBI2510[1].jpg

I haven't fully decided if I want to try it, but I was thinking of throwing it out to you guys.
Anybody in here looking for Monkish growlers?
Maybe set up trades for stuff in your area or BA Stouts?
PM me.

Had this the other night when the NLDS started. I'll have another when the NLCS starts. And my 3rd can? >D We'll see.
PKBI2510[1].jpg

I haven't fully decided if I want to try it, but I was thinking of throwing it out to you guys.
Anybody in here looking for Monkish growlers?
Maybe set up trades for stuff in your area or BA Stouts?
PM me.
I may be interested... also how often they release cans?

WeldWerks up in Greeley, CO puts out some stellar beers, including some of the best NE-style IPAs and stouts in the country.

They've just started canning some of their stuff, which has made its way down to Denver in non-Crowler form for the first time. And the missus managed to grab a 4-pack of this beauty - the Pina Colada Fruity Bits variant of their flagship Juicy Bits IPA.

20171020_201709~2.jpg

Last edited:
Born yesterday released this week. Got way too much of it. Easily a top 10 IPA in any market. Not sure if it'll get the credit it deserves though.

Crazy distribution push to get it bottles and through distributors to many states away in just 3-4 days. Plus it's a price that the local guys would be charging $13/4 pack for. Nothing but love for those guys on many things they do. I don't like the heienken buyout part. But

Wally, thanks for the heads up! Born yesterday def doesnt get the credit it deserves. An awesome release by lagunitas and i love how well their prices reflect the quality they put out

Today was a big day for NY beers. Other Half released their collab with Sand City along with another collab and some other heavy hitters. Currently making my way through today's offerings. Here's where I'm at right now:

unnamed.jpg

Other Half x Sand City All Infinity Everything. 8.7% ABV hopped with Galaxy, Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo, and Motueka with oats and wheat added. The hop bill is supposed to be a mash-up of All Green Everything and Infinity+ONE. Sweet sassy molassy this beer is incredible. This is the best example of a "juice bomb" that I've ever had. Very reminiscent of Raining Threes (OH's collab with The Answer), but much less "in your face" and way more approachable. Easily one of the best collabs Other Half has ever done, if not the best beer they've done all year. I had high expectations going into this, and this somehow managed to exceed those expectations by a pretty wide margin. That's saying something.

unnamed-1.jpg

Other Half DDH Citra+Galaxy. This one's self-explanatory. Big citrus/tropical notes on this one. Medium/full mouthfeel. Another juice bomb. Lacks the complexity of All Infinity Everything, but I didn't really expect complexity in a beer with two hops and the same malt/yeast bill as a lot of other OH beers. The lack of complexity sure as **** doesn't take away from this. Another one of the better beers Other Half has done as of late.

unnamed-2.jpg

Other Half DDH Citra Daydream. Oat/lactose IPA hopped exclusively with Citra/Citra lupulin powder. Other Half is officially on a roll. This one is essentially a hoppy shake while managing the perfect balance of hops/creamy characteristics/sweetness/bready characteristics. A big improvement from the OG version of this.

Very excited for the upcoming weeks. I've gotten some intel that Other Half is doing a DDH version of Green Power (one of the better beers they've come out with this year) as well as a Galaxy-based Daydream beer. Adding to this, I have plans to hit up Tree House/Tilted Barn/Bissell Bros with a few friends on the weekend after Halloween. Hope everything is going equally as well for everyone else. Cheers!

Today was a big day for NY beers. Other Half released their collab with Sand City along with another collab and some other heavy hitters. Currently making my way through today's offerings. Here's where I'm at right now:

unnamed.jpg

Other Half x Sand City All Infinity Everything. 8.7% ABV hopped with Galaxy, Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo, and Motueka with oats and wheat added. The hop bill is supposed to be a mash-up of All Green Everything and Infinity+ONE. Sweet sassy molassy this beer is incredible. This is the best example of a "juice bomb" that I've ever had. Very reminiscent of Raining Threes (OH's collab with The Answer), but much less "in your face" and way more approachable. Easily one of the best collabs Other Half has ever done, if not the best beer they've done all year. I had high expectations going into this, and this somehow managed to exceed those expectations by a pretty wide margin. That's saying something.

unnamed-1.jpg

Other Half DDH Citra+Galaxy. This one's self-explanatory. Big citrus/tropical notes on this one. Medium/full mouthfeel. Another juice bomb. Lacks the complexity of All Infinity Everything, but I didn't really expect complexity in a beer with two hops and the same malt/yeast bill as a lot of other OH beers. The lack of complexity sure as **** doesn't take away from this. Another one of the better beers Other Half has done as of late.

unnamed-2.jpg

Other Half DDH Citra Daydream. Oat/lactose IPA hopped exclusively with Citra/Citra lupulin powder. Other Half is officially on a roll. This one is essentially a hoppy shake while managing the perfect balance of hops/creamy characteristics/sweetness/bready characteristics. A big improvement from the OG version of this.

Very excited for the upcoming weeks. I've gotten some intel that Other Half is doing a DDH version of Green Power (one of the better beers they've come out with this year) as well as a Galaxy-based Daydream beer. Adding to this, I have plans to hit up Tree House/Tilted Barn/Bissell Bros with a few friends on the weekend after Halloween. Hope everything is going equally as well for everyone else. Cheers!
Any chance anything good would be leftover for tomorrow?

I got a buddy that may be stopping by tomorrow

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

Any chance you'd have a can or two of the sand city x other half to trade? I'm coming back up to NY first week of November and should have some of the creature comforts/interboro run the jewels cans releasing the 27th.

Back
Top Bottom