NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

jbug88 jbug88 Whats the general consensus if you are seeing one? Worth the hype for them? I feel its worth a drive once in awhile and $12-$15/four pack, but truly beyond that, its a lateral move against the better offerings your state has to offer. Heck, I was 90 min. away in March and had no true urge to drive to try. I guess if its at your doorstep or neighborhood with a small markup, its an easy choice just to buy. Its not a bad beer set, or mediocre, but its not all that worth the allure IMHO.
RE pilsners and lagers
I learned my lesson years back. You can't session regular or hazy IPAs in the heat or even a tiny bit of stouts. but these Goses, and pilsners, and lagers (btw the FW lager is great. Its a helles lager). I'm actually maintaining vs. passing out. lol I know craft beer peeps dont wanna hear the truth sometimes. But sustaining is perfectly normal.

Worth the hype? I guess. Like I said, I'm a bit older than some of you. Chasing beer is not really my style anymore. I don't even stand in Monkish lines anymore unless they post that there is zero line and I'm on my home from work. If a liquor store between home and work got Alchemist in with a couple dollar mark up, I would've picked some up because I can't say that it isn't good beer.
That FW lager was my camping beer last month. Drank it all weekend. Really, really good stuff. A FW lager with a nice camping breakfast burrito was damn good.

Been seriously slacking on posting beer reviews here, but then again I've been finding myself drinking less as of late. I've tried a lot of stuff over the past month or so, but I'm just gonna hit the highlights:

unnamed-1.jpg

Grimm Afterimage came back around. After having a few good, but forgettable batches this one is back to its former glory. Perfect balance of fruit notes mixed with earthy bitter notes. Insanely soft and drinkable. No alcohol presence whatsoever. If this is the quality they're gonna be pumping out of their new space then consider me a full-fledged fanboy. Desert island status.

unnamed.jpg

Sand City International Playboy. Hopped with Vic Secret and 007 hops. This beer really reminded me of Pile of Crowns by LIC Beer Project, which is an incredible beer. Peach, pineapple and citrus were the over-arching flavors. Fairly thick mouthfeel. One of the best Sand City cans to date.

unnamed-2.jpg

Other Half x Equilibrium Einstein's Daydream. This is basically Equilibrium's recipe for MC^2 that was given the "daydream" treatment from Other Half (additional oats and lactose). Tasted as advertised. Took a nice tropical juice bomb and smoothed it out with some creamy fullness. Great collab.

unnamed-3.jpg

Other Half x Rigs of Dad Mellow Tone N' Juice. After looking at the Instagram account, I'm still scratching my head as to what Rigs of Dad actually is :lol:. Either way, this one was a banger. Straight juice with not much bitterness to speak of. Released alongside Einstein's Daydream, and I think I preferred this one. I underestimated it going in, but I'll be damned.

unnamed-4.jpg

Hudson Valley Horizon Loop. Sour DIPA with wheat, oats, lactose, apricots, lemon myrtle, and Simcoe. Definitely up there as one of my favorite can designs of all time. The beer itself is also fantastic. Apricots and lactose play really well together. Hudson Valley has really nailed the balance between creamy and tart, rather than full-on sour. Stuff like this is gonna really hit the spot once Summer is in full-effect.

unnamed-5.jpg

Other Half x Cellarmaker Spicy Meatball. This one doesn't have lactose, but it was still really smooth and creamy. Think I read they upped the oats on this? Not sure, but it sounds about right. Galaxy-heavy. Tropical fruits all day on this. This one was slept-on.

unnamed-6.jpg

Root & Branch Everyone Stands Beneath Their Own Dome of Heaven. Hopped with Citra, Galaxy, and Motueka. This one really impressed me. I could keep giving similar descriptions to what I've been giving above, but the big stand-outs to this were the mouthfeel and the finish. Felt like it coated your whole mouth, yet finished freakishly smooth. I was skeptical if they could keep the momentum up, but each can is better than the last. A new challenger has emerged.

unnamed-7.jpg

Hudson Valley Strawberry-Banana Silhouette. Sour "brunch" IPA with oats, wheat, strawberries, bananas, citra, and galaxy. Basically just a 5% version of their regular fare. The past Silhouette variants had lactose, but the recent cans don't. I personally think a beer with these flavors would have benefited greatly from its addition. Taste is 85/15 strawberry to banana. Good ratio for a beer like this. The banana adds a bit of creaminess, but it an extra boost would have been appreciated. Nevertheless, still drank and tasted awesome. A strawberry Silhouette with lactose would probably be incredible. I hope Hudson Valley is reading this.

Cheers, NT. :nthat:

I
Haven't bought any beer lately, preparing for the 6th Anniversary of Tired Hands in two weeks. Been killing what's left in my fridge:

Pizza Boy Floyd's Yacht Club: about time Al started brewing a hazy IPA. I love the brewery since it's local and dirt cheap but their beers are very average. This was his best yet, hope he starts brewing more

Tired Hands Eviscerated Pathway of Beauty: their all Citra IPA. I actually preferred this to Other Half's Citra Daydream although it's not really comparable. One of my favorite Tired Hands beers

Funk Double Citrus and Prop: both these were awesome, people are really sleeping on Funk in the area.

Tired Hands Ramos Gin Fizz Milkshake, Tired Hands King Royal, the Veil Tastee Passionberry, Pizza Boy White Bronco. All these adjunct beers and all I really want is a nonense, easy drinking IPA :lol:
knew their anniversary this time of year...I was hoping it was going to land on this week since I’m off work but my buddy that went last year confirmed that it’s the first week of June

Hopefully he goes again and can grab me some cans

I

knew their anniversary this time of year...I was hoping it was going to land on this week since I’m off work but my buddy that went last year confirmed that it’s the first week of June

Hopefully he goes again and can grab me some cans

Anyone have an actual date for the anniversary festivities? Gonna be around the area June 1 and 5...

BCBCS hitting Wegmans again for whatever reason. Probably bought too much last year and trickle dropping throughout the year.

Very very tempted to clean up, already have 3 in the cellar. 2-3 more would be perfect for a 5 year vertical

This guy a regularly trade with hooked me up this weekend. Super excited to try Space Diamonds as Galaxy is probably my favorite hop (and if it's anything like Treehouse Green, I'll love it). Forever Simcoe is always good with it's Pineapple. Very excited for the dhop6 as it's my first Equilibrium beer. Cheers fellas
20180528_163827.jpg

This guy a regularly trade with hooked me up this weekend. Super excited to try Space Diamonds as Galaxy is probably my favorite hop (and if it's anything like Treehouse Green, I'll love it). Forever Simcoe is always good with it's Pineapple. Very excited for the dhop6 as it's my first Equilibrium beer. Cheers fellas
20180528_163827.jpg
You chose the right time to try Space Diamonds. This batch is next-level.

You chose the right time to try Space Diamonds. This batch is next-level.

If I could choose any brewery to have regularly, Other Half would strongly be considered next to Treehouse and Trillium. And even over Tired Hands (my favorite brewery but they have too many "strange" beers).

They have really dialed in their beers. And I'm happy any time I get to have some. Gonna have some tonight with dhop6

Gonna be in SF for a weekend next month. Top two or three breweries to check out? Thanks in advance!

Cellarmaker for sure. Seven Stills and Barebottle are also worth checking out. If you have a car, I'd highly recommend Fieldwork (Berkeley or San Mateo location). As for beer bars, like someone already mentioned, Mikkeller Bar, Monk's Kettle, Toronado and Liquid Gold all have great beer selections.

I believe Cellarmaker is out there?

(not breweries)
Mikkeller Bar & The Monk's Kettle has awesome beers w/ great selections...food's good too.

Cellarmaker for sure. Seven Stills and Barebottle are also worth checking out. If you have a car, I'd highly recommend Fieldwork (Berkeley or San Mateo location). As for beer bars, like someone already mentioned, Mikkeller Bar, Monk's Kettle, Toronado and Liquid Gold all have great beer selections.

Thanks fellas. Gonna hit up Cellar for sure. If I have time, the others as well.

Help!

I wanna start learning about beer outside of the usual grocery bought stuff. Been doing a bit of backreading and just found out about two breweries near-by (im from torrance). Do i just head out there and start sampling some and if i like something i can buy some in cans/bottles? Which one from monkish/smog breweries are good for starters? I usually drink light beer but i dont mind darker ones.

Help!

I wanna start learning about beer outside of the usual grocery bought stuff. Been doing a bit of backreading and just found out about two breweries near-by (im from torrance). Do i just head out there and start sampling some and if i like something i can buy some in cans/bottles? Which one from monkish/smog breweries are good for starters? I usually drink light beer but i dont mind darker ones.

Go to Monkish, get a flight to try what you like. Monkish is great at a variety of styles but specialize in IPAs and Saisons/Farmhouse Ales.

As far as cans, good luck getting cans at Monkish. Releases are random and you gotta be in the area when they drop. Better off filling growlers

Some stuff I got recently

C11D5488-4E90-4B19-AD92-FD1CC89C8681.jpeg

Picked up the Aslin cans a week ago while visiting DC, my buddy was in San Francisco and made a trip to Santa Rosa and brought back some RR, the big bottle in the middle is a rum barrel aged barleywine from a local brewery that I got at a local grocery store that reduced price to clear (the cashier rang it for a different, cheaper price cause it wouldn’t scan and the tag was missing from the shelf...$6.49), And a few random cans from my Airbnb host in DC

Back
Top Bottom