NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

If I could choose any brewery to have regularly, Other Half would strongly be considered next to Treehouse and Trillium. And even over Tired Hands (my favorite brewery but they have too many "strange" beers).

They have really dialed in their beers. And I'm happy any time I get to have some. Gonna have some tonight with dhop6
Got a few growlers from OH this passed weekend. One of them being Space Diamonds. Loved it last year when i first got it.

Honestly, i prefer OH over Trillium and treehouse. Or maybe im just spoiled bc im from MA

Got a few growlers from OH this passed weekend. One of them being Space Diamonds. Loved it last year when i first got it.

Honestly, i prefer OH over Trillium and treehouse. Or maybe im just spoiled bc im from MA
Mannnnn if I HAD to drink only one beer for the rest of my life, I'd gladly choose Green

My stance is a combination of both of yours. I truly think Other Half is putting out the best IPAs at the present moment. They've really, really dialed in their beers over the past 4-5 months. They've always been good, but now they're next-level. Batches of beer that were previously very good are now outstanding (this batch of Space Diamonds, for instance). Then again, Green is my desert island beer and something I would gladly buy a case of and drink by myself over the course of a month or so.

Other Half has also done a really good job at dialing in their operations/expansion. They're brewing way more beer now with no drop-off in quality. They started as a small spot on Centre Street, now they're almost taking up the entire block and have property stretching past the corner on Smith street. I'm just waiting for the theme park now :lol:. I'll also go ahead and make the argument that they're the most consistent brewery for NE-style IPAs at the present moment. If there's a batch variation, it's usually because they improved upon the beer.

But I digress...just got home from work. I think my favorite part of working overnights is that I can crack open a can at this time of day and feel okay about it.
unnamed.jpg

DDH Forever Simcoe was insane. Second time I had it and was better than I remember. Maybe I've grown to love that hop as time progresses. In a world where all IPAs aim to be juice with low bitterness, the piney resinous part of Simcoe reminds you that it's in fact an IPA.

Speaking of dialing in their process, I heard on Steal This Beer that the guys at OH have begun taking extra processes to make sure their beer has a much longer shelf life with the hops. That was cool to hear

In terms of breweries consistently putting out great NE IPAs, for me it goes 1. Treehouse 2. Other Half 3. Trillium.

I really just love the body that the Street series has. Medium and not heavy. I can have multiple with ease. And that Permutation Forty was no joke

Help!

I wanna start learning about beer outside of the usual grocery bought stuff. Been doing a bit of backreading and just found out about two breweries near-by (im from torrance). Do i just head out there and start sampling some and if i like something i can buy some in cans/bottles? Which one from monkish/smog breweries are good for starters? I usually drink light beer but i dont mind darker ones.

Uh yea, Torrance houses Monkish. Probably the most well-known brewery in LA/OC.

@dyzzle
Best to go to the source and sample away. Also try to remember the styles and or hops that you like.

There is also a big difference between grocery store finds and say a dedicated beer store. A lot of the fancier special releases may only be pint or 12 oz draft only at the source. So get ready to start paying some hefty checks when you jump into taproom samplings and pours.

There is now definitely a solid middle ground with beer stores getting seasonals and brewery releases. So I'd keep them as an option too.

Brewery only Releases have that hype allure and most tend to be worth it. But there's a big world out there between grocery store core lineup brews and your brewery only brews that sell out in an hour. Having to wait and jump through hoops isn't for everyone.

DDH Forever Simcoe was insane. Second time I had it and was better than I remember. Maybe I've grown to love that hop as time progresses. In a world where all IPAs aim to be juice with low bitterness, the piney resinous part of Simcoe reminds you that it's in fact an IPA.

Speaking of dialing in their process, I heard on Steal This Beer that the guys at OH have begun taking extra processes to make sure their beer has a much longer shelf life with the hops. That was cool to hear

In terms of breweries consistently putting out great NE IPAs, for me it goes 1. Treehouse 2. Other Half 3. Trillium.

I really just love the body that the Street series has. Medium and not heavy. I can have multiple with ease. And that Permutation Forty was no joke

Havent had time to try out permutation yet i heard it was TOP notch but man, of all streets series i say "the street" and "A Street" is prob my top of their series as far as i have had. Again, i feel as if im spoiled

My stance is a combination of both of yours. I truly think Other Half is putting out the best IPAs at the present moment. They've really, really dialed in their beers over the past 4-5 months. They've always been good, but now they're next-level. Batches of beer that were previously very good are now outstanding (this batch of Space Diamonds, for instance). Then again, Green is my desert island beer and something I would gladly buy a case of and drink by myself over the course of a month or so.

Other Half has also done a really good job at dialing in their operations/expansion. They're brewing way more beer now with no drop-off in quality. They started as a small spot on Centre Street, now they're almost taking up the entire block and have property stretching past the corner on Smith street. I'm just waiting for the theme park now :lol:. I'll also go ahead and make the argument that they're the most consistent brewery for NE-style IPAs at the present moment. If there's a batch variation, it's usually because they improved upon the beer.

But I digress...just got home from work. I think my favorite part of working overnights is that I can crack open a can at this time of day and feel okay about it.
unnamed.jpg

I hear you on that. I've had some rough stretches lately and that last overnight shift I crack open a beer. I'm going to be back home in NY next week and want to visit other half, what time would you recommend showing up on Saturday for releases?

I hear you on that. I've had some rough stretches lately and that last overnight shift I crack open a beer. I'm going to be back home in NY next week and want to visit other half, what time would you recommend showing up on Saturday for releases?
Hate to dance around the question, but it really does depend on what's being released. If it's a hyped collab you should probably show up no later than 8:00AM if you want to guarantee getting it. If it's a release of their regular rotation just show up an hour or so after open and there should be no line with plenty left.

Hate to dance around the question, but it really does depend on what's being released. If it's a hyped collab you should probably show up no later than 8:00AM if you want to guarantee getting it. If it's a release of their regular rotation just show up an hour or so after open and there should be no line with plenty left.

Sounds good, hopefully nothing hyped gets released next week so I don't have to wait in line. Thanks.

FB_IMG_1528034493029.jpg

This was the line for the 6th anniversary Tired Hands release. 5 hour wait but was able to get everything I wanted.

^nice

I saw they were mostly sold out by 7 when they updated on their website

Figure that’s 900+ full allotments

Should have tried to get in line a second time to double dip

My buddy went last year and tried to do that because when he was having a drink after getting his cans he became aware that others did it

They called him on it...he was easy to remember because he had his daughter who has a mental disability with him

^Was it worth the wait? I never hear about a lot of these beers being had in a blind tasting situation. That goes for a lot of that regions hyped brews. They aren't in competitions. They aren't being judged. But they sell extremely well. And people rating them rate the hell out of them. I wonder if the 5 hour wait has something to do with making them taste better.

Full disclosure. Ive had one TH beer from a trade. Pineal. I likened it to the best IPA I have ever had. But even with that said, Would I wait in line 5 hours for some really great brews? I bet half the people in line are just gonna trade it for stuff they hope is better than TH (odds are, it may not be). It's just a sad state of affairs, these lines. I waited in one line locally for 30 minutes and that felt like forever. After two beers, the buzz is all the same. People now are treating this line iphone release lineups, and jordan lineups. I want regular beer lines back pease. Some people love the line culture. Drink in the streets. Leave your trash. It becomes bigger than themselves. When its really all just water, grain, hops, and yeast, and it gets you drunk. I guess finding a 5 hr line acceptable is what grinds my gears.. Rant over

Last edited:
Was it worth it? I mean that comes down to personal preference. Probably not. But I'd do it again since I've honestly never lined up for a TH beer and I've had more beer from them than any other brewery (100+). So it became once in a while thing for a big release.

It definitely all becomes the same once you have a few. Luckily it was a 7 can release so there was a good amount of diversity. For the Only Void alone (their stout which is rarely released), I was glad to line up.

I'm definitely not about that #LineLife. I'm with you that I think the bottle sharing, public drinking, and blatant disregard for local residents/business is pretty corny. To each their own I guess. Other Half lines make this line seem like a joke (and this is Tired Hands biggest event of the year). At the end of the day, I've always had the mindset that if you want something, you gotta do something to do get it. And I have zero issues supporting the hometown brewery.

^nice

I saw they were mostly sold out by 7 when they updated on their website

Figure that’s 900+ full allotments

Should have tried to get in line a second time to double dip

My buddy went last year and tried to do that because when he was having a drink after getting his cans he became aware that others did it

They called him on it...he was easy to remember because he had his daughter who has a mental disability with him

I was planning on going back once the line cleared to let everyone get a chance but the shakes and Only Void we're gone. 1k+ people in line before release started, insanity.

I was hoping to stick around and have some of the Triple Vanilla shake on Nitro but it got kicked. They also had a milkshake version of their 666er anniversary beer

FB_IMG_1528034493029.jpg

This was the line for the 6th anniversary Tired Hands release. 5 hour wait but was able to get everything I wanted.
Nice. My brother went as well and was sending me texts the whole time *****ing about how slow the line was. :lol:

Interesting thoughts being circulated around here. I don't necessarily enjoy the lines, per se, but I use Other Half lines as an opportunity to trade with others and maybe split a bottle or two with friends. It's the equivalent of tailgating or a swapmeet, to me. Having said that, the excessively long lines/waits aren't worth it. If I REALLY want a hyped beer that badly, I'll hire a line-sitter to set up shop early so that I can get there around the time the brewery opens and get in-and-out quickly. It's costly, but I think it's dumber to wake up at the ***-crack of dawn or camp out overnight when there are ways to circumvent it. Some people really don't value their own time enough.

As far as the crowd itself, I don't think it's fair to say the bulk of the people are necessarily being all that disrespectful. There are bad eggs, don't get me wrong, but most people on the OH line are usually pretty well-behaved. Other Half opens their bathroom early and also has employees walking around with garbage bags to collect trash from people on the line. It's definitely gotten much more controlled since the early days.

I wouldn't agree with the assertion that the Tired Hands line yesterday pales in comparison to an Other Half line. The longest line OH ever had was for their three-way collab with Monkish and Trillium, and that line was maybe 800 at opening. Apparently there was close to that many on line at Tired Hands yesterday. Most OH lines are 250-350 people at open.

As far as blind-tastings and quality vs. hype, I can only speak on what's available to me locally. I hit up Other Half maybe once or twice a month and check-in at bottle shops by me maybe once or twice a week. When it comes to IPAs, I can confidently say Other Half's beers are far superior to even the best shelfies around me (Captain's Daughter, Jai Alai, Lost Nation cans, Singlecut, etc.). There are other brewery-only offerings in the area (Interboro, Barrier, Sand City, Finback, etc.), but those don't really generate lines these days and often end up seeing distro for the sheer reason that they aren't as consistently good as the beers OH is producing (I say "consistently" because they sometimes put out some really great beers, just not as frequently).

I don't really give much credence to the competitions. To me it's the equivalent of a college putting themselves out there by advertising on TV. If you're a good institution, odds are you don't need to put yourself out there like that; particularly if you already have an established reputation. Getting a gold medal in some BS GABF competition wouldn't change a thing for breweries like Tree House, Trillium, OH, Monkish, Tired Hands, etc.

No matter the case, I think we should all just be appreciative of the times. I think back to the days of 2012-2013 when I first started posting in this thread and I would have never envisioned craft beer being where it is today. We're both crippled and spoiled by choice. I walked into a bottle shop today and saw KBS, CBS, Parabola, Pecan Mud Cake, Sip of Sunshine, Burial, Jack's Abby, Grimm, Lunch, and Bourbon County turding it up on the shelves. There's something for everyone out there.

Yeah it all comes down to personal preference. I have never lined up for beer (I don't include 10-20 minutes before the brewery opens) so I had zero issue lining up under the assumption that it was going to take long at Tired Hands for their anniversary (my favorite brewery).

I lined up at 10:30 for a noon release. I expected the line to be no more than an hour or two based off what I had ready on previous releases and last year's anniversary. When that hour or two passed and I was only halfway through the line, it dawned on me that this was going to be WAY longer. I don't think anyone anticipated the lines to move that slow. But if you're already in line, leaving empty handed after already waiting to begin with is even dumber than lining up in the first place in my opinion. Would I do 5 hours again? Probably not but I have no issues lining up again in general for the release. I would have just showed up much later since cats showed up at 1:30 and still got full allotments. But alas, hindsight is 20/20.

In regards to Other Half, keep in mind that yesterday was about 1k people. But this was a special 7 can release for the anniversary (Tired Hands normally only does 2, maybe 3 beers). On a weekly basis, from what I've seen for a regular release, I've heard the Other Half line is pretty long in comparison to TH. Tired Hands gets about 100-200 at most a release. And that's mainly if shakes are releasing. But please correct me if I'm wrong, I'd be interested to know.

I agree with your point about is the actual beer "worth it". If cost, availability, and taste were the main driving factors then I would just buy Bells Two Hearted Ale exclusively. For me, it's a combination of style (Tired Hands is "world renowed" for their hazy IPAs) and supporting a local business. You are simply not getting that style of IPA by walking into your distributor. And TH represents Philly, the owner is a Philly native, and I love what they do for the community in Ardmore. Therefore, I am more than willing to go out of my way and spend a Sunday afternoon (where I'd otherwise be drinking anyways) to wait in line to celebrate their anniversary.

I can't speak on TH lines since I've never stood on one, but I've been next to a lot of Philly dudes on OH lines. Most have told me that shake lines are as bad, if not worse, than most OH lines. They could be factoring in time in comparison to length, or they could just be exaggerating, but I wouldn't know. My best source is my brother who has told me stories of 300+ people on line for Strawberry or Vanilla shakes by 9:00 AM.

Also, just to add to my last post I'd like to touch on Wally's thought that today's lines are a "sad state of affairs." Building off my last comment in my previous post, I would say today's line culture in beer is a reflection of quite the opposite. Given how many awesome easily accessible beers there are now, I don't see how you could call the lines a "sad state of affairs" unless you just really wanted the beers but weren't willing to wait in the line to get them. That's always been my biggest gripes with the critiques--they always present themselves as roundabout ways of saying "I'm upset because I'm being shut out." Another person waiting on line has no bearing on your life if you don't want the beers to begin with. People waiting on line for toilet paper and basic necessities is what I would consider a "sad state of affairs."

I can't speak on TH lines since I've never stood on one, but I've been next to a lot of Philly dudes on OH lines. Most have told me that shake lines are as bad, if not worse, than most OH lines. They could be factoring in time in comparison to length, or they could just be exaggerating, but I wouldn't know. My best source is my brother who has told me stories of 300+ people on line for Strawberry or Vanilla shakes by 9:00 AM.

Also, just to add to my last post I'd like to touch on Wally's thought that today's lines are a "sad state of affairs." Building off my last comment in my previous post, I would say today's line culture in beer is a reflection of quite the opposite. Given how many awesome easily accessible beers there are now, I don't see how you could call the lines a "sad state of affairs" unless you just really wanted the beers but weren't willing to wait in the line to get them. That's always been my biggest gripes with the critiques--they always present themselves as roundabout ways of saying "I'm upset because I'm being shut out." Another person waiting on line has no bearing on your life if you don't want the beers to begin with. People waiting on line for toilet paper and basic necessities is what I would consider a "sad state of affairs."

Been saying this for a minute, but the beer culture is basically the new sneaker culture.

I guess it's sad because I don't want to put in the work. That's true. Times have changed. I didn't like lining up or waiting online for sneakers Back in the day. I actually gravitate towards the non hype. And that's how beer was for awhile.

I know a few places who do or did weekday releases. Those with regular 9-5 jobs and or kids may be screwed and left out. It's hard to grasp having to work or put true effort into a hobby that is made to relax you. It's true it's not affecting my well being. I guess you could say jealously is a factor. No doubt looking online at these world class hauls. One does wonder why my priorities aren't like theirs.

Breweries are to blame too. They love the hype. Staggered unannounced releases could work. Breweries need to know this is unacceptable. But with sellouts and lines, why change anything? Hype creation helps with trades too. So for the segment who lineup, they may be hurting the locals who really want to try that beer. Some say they should've gotten there earlier. I guess I'm waiting for the day there are three TH type breweries in every city and all lines are manageable.

Like I've been saying, the kids who grew up waiting in line on BF, and for the first few iPhones, are the same people who are now of age to drink who've gravitated our way. I guess I'm resistant to giving into the lines.

Apples to oranges comparisons though. Milkshakes are the hype product, you gotta compare that to an OH collab. Rotational beer vs rotational beer, Tired Hands has barely a line.

The ****ery that the shakes bring out is chair drops. Sure people will be there at 9, but only to drop chairs and come back at release time. But like I said, the regular non milkshake releases are very tame.

I 100% agree with your point about beer being easily accessible. If hazy IPAs are your thing, almost every major city/region is making great hazy IPAs. Pick the brewery closest to you and drink their stuff

Last edited:
I guess it's sad because I don't want to put in the work. That's true. Times have changed. I didn't like lining up or waiting online for sneakers Back in the day. I actually gravitate towards the non hype. And that's how beer was for awhile.

I know a few places who do or did weekday releases. Those with regular 9-5 jobs and or kids may be screwed and left out. It's hard to grasp having to work or put true effort into a hobby that is made to relax you. It's true it's not affecting my well being. I guess you could say jealously is a factor. No doubt looking online at these world class hauls. One does wonder why my priorities aren't like theirs.

Breweries are to blame too. They love the hype. Staggered unannounced releases could work. Breweries need to know this is unacceptable. But with sellouts and lines, why change anything? Hype creation helps with trades too. So for the segment who lineup, they may be hurting the locals who really want to try that beer. Some say they should've gotten there earlier. I guess I'm waiting for the day there are three TH type breweries in every city and all lines are manageable.

Like I've been saying, the kids who grew up waiting in line on BF, and for the first few iPhones, are the same people who are now of age to drink who've gravitated our way. I guess I'm resistant to giving into the lines.
Like Ford said, you don't necessarily have to wait in line. I ALWAYS include a few thank you beers while trading. Connections go a long way. I mentioned that this was my first time ever lining up for Tired Hands and yet my Untappd shows I've had over 100 beers from them. That's because people I've traded with always over to pick up allotments for me whenever I go. There's always ways around lining up and this weekend was my first time ever doing that for any brewery. And yet I've had a significant amount of Tired Hands and Other Half beer.

Back
Top Bottom