NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

I like the hoppy pilsners a lot.

Monkish did a Citra Pilsner called Amen, Brother which was very good

I feel many early craft beer drinkers have sort of come full circle. I mentioned a page or two back, with only weekend drinking, even your macro lagers have some taste and flavor. One can definitely amp that up to craft standards and a higher level of flavor. But a well crafted lager is a gem. Not many can do it. And If they do, most costs too much. There's a delicate balance. I have places around me trying to get their pilsner or lager to be as clean and crisp as say Budweiser. Who's laughing now lol? Maybe they were onto something.

If a craft place can charge $10 for what is essentially Budweiser, they can and will. Slippery slope on the craft lager/pilsner trend. I know many Brewers and workers who go macro AALs all the time. They dont exactly advertise to their customers.

I feel that finally quantity and quality can be combined. Some of my area breweries are pushing their prices to some really great levels. Competition can be a great thing.

At the same time, a craft lager that tastes like Corona but is priced higher, I just don't buy it. A local brewery did a $14/4pk of a hallerteau hop 5.5% pale ale and I took the bait. Tastes like something I can have for half the cost.

Suarez and hell even HF are nice with their lighter options but at its core, the value of spending that much on something with less booze and less hops has always troubled me. Luckily competition has brought some of the lager prices down. I'm not saying in a blind taste, you'd mistake HF for a macro. But there comes a point where I feel we're getting fleeced price and value wise.
--------

Two pilsner types that I just love.

Your German pilsner. Think FW PIVO, Which has seen it's shipments decline in my area. Floral and earthy hops all the way.

Your Czech pils. Think pilsner urquell. Bready with a true crisp bite. A 12 pk here runs $15. Nothing within 500 miles can match that. Flavor and value.

-----
Had my first brewery visit today in a couple months time. Had my first draft pour in that same time frame. I've been really going the package route hard. 8 plus new breweries opened up in that time. Only one is making positive waves in my book. The others are out for money with inferior product.

Between macro options, a few craft pilsners, a haze here or there, some WC Ipas to make sure my buds are alive, and a limited selection of stouts, that's pretty much where ive set my new standards. A real battle of two extreme styles. I'm done with goses and fruited sours. Cost isn't worth the quality value. Beer fridge has turned into a fruits and veggies fridge. It feels good to amp down a bit. There's so many snakes out there now. Brewery tap room visits arent happening at much of a frequency.

We need some spark to bring all these mediocre breweries back into realignment with quality and price. I wouldn't even mind if the bubble finally bursts.

Last edited:
20190622_181036.jpg

I've had most Treehouse IPAs except Hurricane. Still love Julius and Haze. For me, nothing touches Green when that's dialed in. That's without a doubt my favorite beer on the planet next to Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

Well said! For the comment before this I know what u mean by Julius, but I feel that is because Julius is the base for many other Tree House beers. Julius, by itself, is very smooth and easy drinking.

Green can be great, Green can be excellent, and then Green can be amazing LOL. I have had different Greens from different times. BUT I still am Team Perpetuity - that is the still the most consistently tasting Tree House offering. I feel the same could be said for any of the Sap offerings as well!

PitifulWeirdDiplodocus-size_restricted.gif

Made a trip to treehouse this past week as they had Gggreen and a few offerings I haven't had. Gggreen was fantastic, I would put it slightly below Very Green but it's still world class. Spring and Summwr were the 2 new offerings I went to get. I enjoyed then both. Also had a Julius and i will continue to say I dont see the hype in it. It packs no flavor compared to the rest of their lineup.

Attachments

• 20190623_131051.jpg
    20190623_131051.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20190623_141703.jpg
    20190623_141703.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20190623_125640.jpg
    20190623_125640.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 1
Well said! For the comment before this I know what u mean by Julius, but I feel that is because Julius is the base for many other Tree House beers. Julius, by itself, is very smooth and easy drinking.

Green can be great, Green can be excellent, and then Green can be amazing LOL. I have had different Greens from different times. BUT I still am Team Perpetuity - that is the still the most consistently tasting Tree House offering. I feel the same could be said for any of the Sap offerings as well!

PitifulWeirdDiplodocus-size_restricted.gif
Ayeee :pimp:

I’m a big fan of Lights On as well. Such a fantastic beer. Probably my favorite Pale Ale next to Half Acre Daisy Cutter

I Have Promises to Keep is the double version of in perpetuity. That is a top 5 treehouse beer for me, was absolutely fantastic.

^my one buddy often times drinks beers when traveling somewhere

whether it's a PSU football game or out of state somewhere

I assume his wife or a friend is driving

he's a bit of a beast...I'll see him checking in beers on Untappd at a restaurant like a cheese steak place doing BYOB

my wife would kill me if I tried to do that :lol:

Last edited:
6B86E315-2131-4088-BAA2-46AB9E419C70.jpeg
Decided to treat myself my bday weekend. Hit your mid thirties and I don’t have the energy anymore for these releases. Lol. Don’t do these can releases that much anymore anyways but Monkish had one yesterday. Got some extra cans if anyone wants to trade.

Past couple weeks

20190706_000446-776x1034.jpg

20190619_205747-978x784.jpg

20190619_210059-958x783.jpg

20190628_103609-784x806.jpg

20190706_003032-784x1116.jpg

20190706_003120-784x1090.jpg

I've found the majority of the local lagers I've tried to be mediocre to OK. That Weihenstephaner Original was truly refreshing. It's interesting how your palate changes over time. I'm Gose'd out for now, I didn't notice too much of a difference between the ones I've had lately unless it was dry hopped or fruited but even in those categories they were identical.

The barrel of monks beers were solid. I spoke with one of the owners at TW which convinced me to try more of their beers. They're focused on Belgian ales with high drinkability. Good stuff.

20190705_234728-784x1064.jpg

For the weekend.

Last edited:
Past couple weeks

20190706_000446-776x1034.jpg

20190619_205747-978x784.jpg

20190619_210059-958x783.jpg

20190628_103609-784x806.jpg

20190706_003032-784x1116.jpg

20190706_003120-784x1090.jpg

I've found the majority of the local lagers I've tried to be mediocre to OK. That Weihenstephaner Original was truly refreshing. It's interesting how your palate changes over time. I'm Gose'd out for now, I didn't notice too much of a difference between the ones I've had lately unless it was dry hopped or fruited but even in those categories they were identical.

The barrel of monks beers were solid. I spoke with one of the owners at TW which convinced me to try more of their beers. They're focused on Belgian ales with high drinkability. Good stuff.

20190705_234728-784x1064.jpg

For the weekend.
how Session lager switch from short bottles to cans? lame af

Hey NYers...got a question for y’all.

My missus & I are gonna be in NYC for a day in a couple of weeks. Our flight lands at JFK at noon on a Wednesday. We’ll have time to hit up a couple breweries. Thinking Other Half for sure since they open at noon. Only problem is we don’t want to spend all day in Brooklyn waiting around for Interboro or Grimm to open at 5.

Got any recommendations? Hit me up.

Back
Top Bottom