*OFFICAL* L.A Dodgers Spring Training Thread! Vol. Baseball is almost here!

Rumor: from Chi WhiteSox willing to take on Juan Pierre's contract straight up for Contreas .... but dodgers tryna push Pierre / Meloan for Garland.

Hunter interested in DodgersPosted: Monday November 19, 2007 07:22AM ETFree agent center fielder Torii Hunter is interested in signing with the Dodgers. "The Dodgers are definitely near the top," Hunter told Yahoo! Sports. "With Joe Torre there, things have got to change. He's bringing his history with them. I'm telling you, they're going to start winning."
Riverside Press-Enterprise

*CLAP CLAP CLAP*

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The Los Angeles Dodgers and Baltimore Orioles have discussed the parameters of a trade that would send left-hander Erik Bedard to the Dodgers for a package that includes 23-year-old outfielder Matt Kemp, according to a source familiar with the talks[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]. ([/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Yahoo[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]!) Adding Bedard makes way too much sense. He's a solid ace and a true CY Young canidate in 2008.
[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/font]
tp.gif
[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The Dodgers stand a better chance of acquiring Cabrera from the Marlins, major-league sources say, if they part with outfielder Matt Kemp along with third baseman Andy LaRoche and minor-league left-hander Clayton Kershaw.[/font] [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]([/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]FOXSports[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif])[/font]
A lot of rumors about Kemp this off-season so far. I don't want to see him go because I think with his potential (IMO a better version ofMondesi) and the coaching staff that has taken over he can become a superstar... he's what? 22? But with the possibility they sign Hunter trading Kempseems more realistic at the moment.

If they trade him for Miggy, not only will the Dodgers lose him along with the likes of two more "prospects" but Miggy will only have 2 more years onhis contract unless they can negotiate an extension. The same thing with Bedard.

Here is more on the Bedard rumor:
The Los Angeles Dodgers and Baltimore Orioles have discussed the parameters of a trade that would send left-hander Erik Bedard to the Dodgers for a package that includes 23-year-old outfielder Matt Kemp, according to a source familiar with the talks.

The Orioles are in a rebuilding mode after 10 consecutive losing seasons. By making Bedard available, they are hoping to take advantage of a thin free-agent market for pitchers in order to stock up on position players and return to contention in the tough American League East within a year or two.

Bedard has won 28 games the past two seasons, last season striking out 221 hitters in 182 innings before a strained oblique shut him down. He is arbitration eligible this winter and is eligible for free agency after the 2009 season.

The Dodgers also are talking to the Florida Marlins about Miguel Cabrera, and Kemp is considered the key element of that potential deal.

The Dodgers have again made pitching a priority after last winter losing Greg Maddux in free agency and signing Jason Schmidt to a three-year contract. Schmidt pitched 25 2/3 innings before undergoing shoulder surgery. It is questionable whether he will be ready for spring training. The rotation currently includes Brad Penny, Derek Lowe, Chad Billingsley and Esteban Loaiza.

It is unclear who would join Kemp in a trade with the Orioles, but the Dodgers are a popular stop for teams looking to upgrade with young and inexpensive talent. Third baseman Andy LaRoche, left-hander Clayton Kershaw, right-hander Jonathan Meloan, first baseman James Loney, outfielder Andre Ethier, infielder Tony Abreu and infielder/outfielder Delwyn Young are the most popular requests.

The centerpiece likely would be Kemp, the 6-foot-2, 230-pounder who played all three outfield positions in parts of the past two seasons with the Dodgers. He has power, speed and throws well. In 98 games last season, Kemp batted .342.

The Dodgers also would like to upgrade over Juan Pierre in center field. They are talking to the agents for Torii Hunter, Andruw Jones and Aaron Rowand.

Kemp is supposed to be the centerpiece of the Cabrera deal, sending Kemp to the O's probably means that the deal for Miggy is dead.

It looks like they are going to land one of the three big CF free agents to replace Pierre. There is also talks that Pierre is headed to Chicago for JoseContreras.

If that happens, our linuep:

C Martin
1B Loney
2B Kent (He's coming back)
SS Furcal
3B ? (Garciaparra is the incumbent, La Roche might be shipped out)
RF Ethier
CF Jones/Hunter/Rowand
LF ? (Young?)

Starting Pitchers:
Penny
Bedard
Lowe
Billingsley
Schmidt
Loaiza
Contreras

We'll see what happens, looks like a lot of youngsters might get shipped this winter. I hate to see Kemp go, he will be special.

Since the Angels traded away their shortstop yesterday, this could mean that they are close to trading for Cabrera, and moving Figgins to SS...

If the Dodgers lose the Cabrera sweepstakes, then 3rd base will belong to Nomar.

[h3]Orioles ace Bedard to Dodgers?[/h3] [h5]Posted: Thursday November 22, 2007 03:22PM ET[/h5]
Erik Bedard is the only guy on the roster who seems to make teams jump. And the Los Angeles Dodgers still are the best fit because they have the need and the most to offer in the way of prospects. But they are a little preoccupied with Miguel Cabrera, which puts the Orioles, you know, on hold.

Baltimore Sun

Looks like the hunt for Miggy is still on, again, they have to lower their asking price.

[h1]sign of turnaround in LA[/h1] [h2]Torre and young stars key to Dodger success[/h2]
[table][tr][td]
1195943702_6439.jpg
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

By Nick Cafardo November 25, 2007

They were not about to get into the silly money the Angels gave Torii Hunter. They would not go four years on Mike Lowell. They are unwilling to part with four or even three top prospects for Miguel Cabrera, although that could change if they really want Johan Santana.

The way owner Frank McCourt looks at it, he's already ahead of the game because he hired Joe Torre to manage the Dodgers.

"I think we're in a good position right now," said McCourt. "We don't have to make a deal. We made the biggest move we needed to make in signing Joe. I don't anticipate any nonsense in that clubhouse. He gives us instant credibility and we're thrilled to have him."

McCourt, a Boston native, realizes that the 67-year-old Torre can't play third base or center field, but he wasn't about to pay a 32-year-old outfielder like Hunter $90 million over five years. He has faith that last year's free agent bust, righthanded starter Jason Schmidt, who made only six starts before his shoulder weakened, is stronger and healthier than ever, and that the Dodgers' youngsters - Matt Kemp, James Loney, and Andy LaRoche - are ready to take big steps in their development. Which is why McCourt isn't crazy about giving them all away for one player.

When he took control of the franchise, the Dodgers didn't have much in their farm system; now they have some of the best young talent in the game.

Loney, a lefthanded-hitting first baseman, batted .331 with 15 homers and 67 RBIs in 96 games with Los Angeles last season. Kemp, a righthanded-hitting outfielder, batted .342 with 10 homers, 42 RBIs, and 10 stolen bases in 98 games.

Torre will have to figure out what to do with the declining Nomar Garciaparra, who hit .283 with 7 homers and 59 RBIs. While he has battled injuries since being dealt by the Red Sox in 2004, Garciaparra, 34, was healthy for the most part last season; he just didn't have the same thump in his swing.

"It wasn't so much that we didn't win it all - which is our goal and what we want to do every year," McCourt said, "but what left a sour taste in our mouths was that we didn't fulfill the potential we had. At one time, I think we had the best record in baseball.

"Our younger guys are a year older. Our banged-up guys are healthy again. If there's a player or two out there that can make us better, I'm very interested."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/11/25/sign_of_turnaround_in_la/

CABRERA-VILLE
He has more career hits than Milton Bradley or Doug Mientkiewicz -- but he's younger than Hunter Pence or Andre Ethier. So what would you give up for a 24-year-old hit factory like Miguel Cabrera? That's the question the Angels, Dodgers, White Sox and Giants are pondering these days. Well, here's the Marlins' asking price: Four players, none of them with more than three years of big league service, all with a similar profile to the young future superstars the Twins are asking for Santana. There is one major difference between Cabrera and Santana, however: Cabrera is two years away from free agency. So a team trading for him wouldn't also have to throw 150 million bucks at him -- yet -- because the Marlins have no plans to allow any negotiating windows. But the price in talent is still so steep that the Angels would probably have no choice but to include Howie Kendrick and their top pitching prospect, Nick Adenhart. The Dodgers would almost certainly have to build their deal around Kershaw and James Loney. The Giants would be likely to have to give up either Matt Cain or Tim Lincecum, but might not have enough position-player prospects to get this done. And the White Sox have the opposite problem. Center fielder Jerry Owens and third baseman Josh Fields would be a good fit for Florida's needs, but the Sox might be short on the arms the Marlins are looking for, especially after dealing away Jon Garland this week. That Garland trade could still be a prelude to a deal for Cabrera, though. Just not with the White Sox. The Angels appeared to need one more arm to assemble the kind of package Florida is after. So now that they've added Garland to their inventory, they just might have solved that pesky little dilemma.
The Phillies didn't have much luck getting Curt Schilling to head back to Philadelphia. But they've turned their attention now to another ex-Phillie -- Randy Wolf. They were interested in re-signing Wolf last winter, but he took a one-year deal with the Dodgers over a two-year offer in Philadelphia. Now that the Dodgers have moved on and Wolf is recovering from minor shoulder surgery, he's high on the Phillies' rotation shopping list.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3121887

- Seems like McCourt is satisfied with the current roster.
- Seems less likely that we end up with Miggy.
- Good bye Wolf?

If the deal for Cabrera doesn't go through for either the Angels and the Dodgers. It will turn out as the best deal that was NEVER made for both teams. Larry Beinfest is not an idiot, he won't ask for scrubs.

Beinfest tried to use the pressure these teams were in to improve to ask for a ton of talent. I think both the Angels and Dodgers are realizing that the teamthat actually has their back to the wall is the Marlins. If Cabrera doesn't get traded at the winter meetings, he will get traded at the trading deadlineat a much cheaper rate.

Next week is going to be a little crazy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=3091400
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]ESPN.com[/font] [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]suggests that[/font] [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]the Orioles are set only in right field (Nick Markakis) and second base (Brian Roberts). Everywhere else, they have question marks[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]. A closer look at their[/font] [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]roster[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]indicates that Baltimore could probably stand to upgrade center field and the bullpen - and would love to get younger at several positions. If I'm Ned Colletti, I offer the following package for Miguel Tejada: Chin-Lung Hu, Jonathan Meloan, Delwyn Young or Andre Ethier, James McDonald or Hong-Chih Kuo, Juan Pierre, and $10 million. That's one bona fide short stop prospect, one young outfielder, a young reliever, one young starter, and a "legitimate" center fielder with the cash to offset the contract. You can't argue with the talent going to Baltimore and while the Pierre aspect is certainly a dump from the Dodgers standpoint, the Orioles would only be on the hook for $26 million spread out over four years - the same cash they'd owe Tejada over the next two seasons.
[/font]
tp.gif
In Tejada, the Dodgers could have an answer for third base in '08 and a solution for SS or 2B in 2009 when Andy LaRoche takes over third permanently (both Rafael Furcal and Jeff Kent are free agents after 2008). Bat Miguel fourth in the lineup and you've got a solid threat in the middle of the lineup.
[/font]
tp.gif
This deal works for both sides. The Dodgers get the bat they need without decimating the farm and they would likely still have enough cash to chase after Andruw Jones (with Mike Cameron as Plan B). The Orioles dump their contract in Tejada, acquire a center fielder at a reasonable price, and in the process collect four legitimate prospects who should begin helping the team in 2008. Make the call, Ned.[/font]

- The guy from Dodgerdugout.com.
- I think that package is a little too much for only Tejada... it's something I wouldn't hesitate if we were getting him + a bullpen guy or a deal forBedard. Hu, Meloan, Young/Ethier, McDonald/Kuo, Pierre + 10 Million.
ohwell.gif
.4 prospects, Pierre, and 10 Mil. Thoughts?

^^

That is way too much for Tejada, nobody is offering more than 2 or 3 prospects.

Orioles get:

Hu
Meloan
Young/Ethier
McDonald/Kuo
Pierre
Cash

Dodgers get:

Tejada

Think about that,
roll.gif
, good thing this guy isn't the GM.

I thought I would bump this thread for the winter meetings...word is there is a lot of buzz this winter:

Dodgers step up interest in A. Jones

NASHVILLE -- The Dodgers have stepped up talks with free-agent center fielder Andruw Jones, a club official confirmed Sunday.
Jones is coming off the worst season of his career -- .222 average, 26 homers, 96 RBIs. Even with those numbers, Jones would immediately become the most potent proven bat in the Dodgers lineup. Management envisions a batting order with the potential for five 20-homer players -- Jones, Jeff Kent, Russell Martin, James Loney and Matt Kemp, even though the latter three have never hit 20 homers in a Major League season.

Jones, a 10-time Gold Glove and five-time All-Star, is believed to be seeking a contract in excess of the five-year, $90 million deal Torii Hunter signed with the Angels. But there is concern among some clubs that Jones, still 30, might be tailing off.

The Dodgers apparently are not interested in a contract guaranteed longer than two years, but that would allow Jones the opportunity to revisit free agency with greater leverage after a more productive season. Jones' acquisition would create a surplus of outfielders and probably force the relocation of Juan Pierre's vulnerable throwing arm to left field.

Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti and his staff are expected to arrive at MLB's Winter Meetings on Monday afternoon. Colletti has downplayed the likelihood of a blockbuster trade while indicating an unwillingness to package multiple top prospects for the premier trade targets on the market, Florida third baseman Miguel Cabrera and Minnesota pitcher Johan Santana.

The Dodgers, however, are aggressively pursuing Japanese free-agent pitcher Hiroki Kuroda, who would provide starting pitching depth after Brad Penny, Derek Lowe and Chad Billingsley. Jason Schmidt and Esteban Loaiza are also in the mix for starting spots, depending on their health.

Dodgers offer Andruw Jones 2 yr 32 million - I like that offer dodgers won't have a long term with him and if he goes off with a career year he can getthat 6-7 yr deal.

Also, dodgers in discussion in acquiring Hank Blalock (I'm guessing it has to do with Juan Pierre) ....

I'm liking the "talks" lets get something done.

Thoughts?

I like the Jones signing if the odd man out is Pierre (the Blalock deal). An outfield of Jones, Kemp, and Ethier would be an upgrade from Pierre, Gonzo,Kemp/Ethier last year.

Jones for 2 yrs / 16 per is pretty good considering Boras was saying he had a 100+ deal lined up. right. Blalock is only signed through 2008 with an '09club option - which can give Laroche some more time to develop and let the Dodgers see if he will develop similar to Martin or Loney.

Get it done Ned.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

I thought I would bump this thread for the winter meetings...word is there is a lot of buzz this winter:

Dodgers step up interest in A. Jones

NASHVILLE -- The Dodgers have stepped up talks with free-agent center fielder Andruw Jones, a club official confirmed Sunday.
Jones is coming off the worst season of his career -- .222 average, 26 homers, 96 RBIs. Even with those numbers, Jones would immediately become the most potent proven bat in the Dodgers lineup. Management envisions a batting order with the potential for five 20-homer players -- Jones, Jeff Kent, Russell Martin, James Loney and Matt Kemp, even though the latter three have never hit 20 homers in a Major League season.

Jones, a 10-time Gold Glove and five-time All-Star, is believed to be seeking a contract in excess of the five-year, $90 million deal Torii Hunter signed with the Angels. But there is concern among some clubs that Jones, still 30, might be tailing off.

The Dodgers apparently are not interested in a contract guaranteed longer than two years, but that would allow Jones the opportunity to revisit free agency with greater leverage after a more productive season. Jones' acquisition would create a surplus of outfielders and probably force the relocation of Juan Pierre's vulnerable throwing arm to left field.

Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti and his staff are expected to arrive at MLB's Winter Meetings on Monday afternoon. Colletti has downplayed the likelihood of a blockbuster trade while indicating an unwillingness to package multiple top prospects for the premier trade targets on the market, Florida third baseman Miguel Cabrera and Minnesota pitcher Johan Santana.

The Dodgers, however, are aggressively pursuing Japanese free-agent pitcher Hiroki Kuroda, who would provide starting pitching depth after Brad Penny, Derek Lowe and Chad Billingsley. Jason Schmidt and Esteban Loaiza are also in the mix for starting spots, depending on their health.

Sad
laugh.gif

It's sad to think that a guy who only hit 22 homeruns last year, would be an upgrade to our power, in the lineup
laugh.gif

Rumor: dodgers close on bedard per mlbtraderumors.

package of kemp + broxton, i hope this is a joke.

i dont care what eric bedard has done in his career.

aint no way this goes down............

^^

Every other source says that the Dodgers don't want to part with either Kemp or Broxton, let alone both in the same deal.

i got my money on nothing major happening, and we still got kemp, loney, either, broxton and prospects...
they just need to sign one big hitter...but it looks like we blew our money on coaching, ANOTHER hurt pitcher (see kevin brown), and a centerfielder who cantthrow.
management is cheap, banking on young guns to get it done..

sounds like some other LA team...

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Talks between the Dodgers and Andruw Jones, suspended on Monday, were revived on Tuesday at the Winter Meetings, but there's still no deal and no sign from general manager Ned Colletti that one will result.
"Nothing's changed but the day on the calendar," said Colletti, who added that the demands of years and money are still too great for his appetite.

Nonetheless, the Dodgers met with Jones' agent, Scott Boras, on Tuesday with both sides aware that the Dodgers are willing to offer a short-term contract to the 30-year-old center fielder, who is coming off the worst season (.222 average, 26 homers, 94 RBIs) of his career. Chances are they will meet again this week, because there's a fit between the two and mutual interest.

Jones would provide the Dodgers with a 10-time Gold Glove winner in center field and a feared bat in the middle of the order, while the short term of the deal would allow Jones to revisit free agency while still relatiavely young (he's 30) with greater negotiating leverage if his offensive production returns to previous levels (he slugged 92 homers with 257 RBIs the previous two seasons).

Jones likely would seek a structure more along the lines of the one that former Dodgers general manager Paul DePodesta gave J.D. Drew for a longer term with an opt-out. Drew exercised that escape clause last winter, leading to all kinds of offseason intrigue.

Acquiring an outfielder of Jones' stature would allow the Dodgers more flexibility for trades, perhaps even to consider moving Matt Kemp as the cornerstone of a package to obtain one of the few prime trade targets on the market like Johan Santana, Erik Bedard or Dan Haren.

Miguel Cabrera, dealt to Detroit in Tuesday's blockbuster, was at the top of the Dodgers' target list. But Colletti refused to part with three premium players (believed to be Jonathan Broxton, Kemp and Clayton Kershaw) plus prospect Andy LaRoche. Colletti said he is not of the mind to break up the core of the youth movement and that three-for-one or four-for-one was too much to deal for any single player.

"You fill a one-year need with a tremendous player and look around and have three more needs to fill," he said. "I'm not sure how you gain on the process."

Apparently, the Marlins never backed off from their original demands.

Colletti said the ability of Detroit to acquire players of the caliber of Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis because of a surplus of young pitching illustrates the value of protecting young pitchers.

"We believe in our scouts and when you listen to them talk about someone like Clayton Kershaw, for example, a few years down the road he might be the same guy [as Willis]. If there's four players you might deal and two of them have a chance to be one of those guys [like Willis], why would you do that?"

Colletti said the interest other clubs have in the Dodgers' top young players has "fortified" his belief that the youth movement is the correct strategy in the industry's current climate. And he said it is even more difficult for the Dodgers to deal their top young players because, unlike many of the prospects in the Cabrera deal, the Dodgers players that other clubs are asking for (except for Kershaw) are already proven in the Major Leagues.

"You see what it costs to acquire a player and how much the core of your team is uprooted to do it," he said. "We're on the right course. Other guys are on the verge of joining [James] Loney, Kemp, Broxton, [Chad] Billingsley. Maybe it's LaRoche, maybe it's Chin-lung Hu, maybe [James] McDonald or Kershaw."

In other Dodgers news, they met with the Orioles to discuss acquiring Bedard and learned that Baltimore wants Kemp and closer-in-waiting Broxton in return. No deal is imminent.

In fact, Colletti said he has "no interest in trading Broxton," which pretty well puts him in the untouchable category with Russell Martin.

The 28-year-old Bedard would be the only left-hander in a rotation that includes Brad Penny, Derek Lowe and Billingsley. Bedard was 13-5 with a 3.16 ERA last year for the Orioles, finishing fifth in voting for the American League Cy Young Award and fourth in the league for ERA. He led the league in fewest hits allowed per nine innings.

The Dodgers, however, would prefer to land Japanese right-hander Hiroki Kuroda, whose signing would come without dealing away any young players. Patience is required, however, as Kuroda has not given pursuing clubs a timetable on a decision and is considering a trip to the United States next week to visit the cities vying for him. Colletti said it was not decided whether Kuroda would visit Los Angeles.

The Dodgers also planned to touch base with the Oakland A's to discuss a possible deal for Haren or Joe Blanton.

Colletti, on his stated desire to acquire a big bat, suggesting it might turn out to be Kemp or Loney: "How do you know we don't have that right there?"

And Colletti, referring to the clubhouse tension that boiled over in September, said: "I've got a real good idea what went on, I know why it occurred and it's been addressed in a lot of different ways."

Former Braves center fielder gets two-year, $36-million deal

By Dylan Hernandez, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

NASHVILLE -- The Dodgers have agreed to terms with center fielder Andruw Jones on a two-year deal worth $36 million, according to major-league sources. The deal is pending a physical.

Jones' agent, Scott Boras, said in an e-mail message earlier tonight that he and his client would entertain an offer for a shorter contract than they were initially seeking, so long as it came from "a competitive team." Boras said he considered every team in the National League West fit that criteria.

The San Francisco Giants and Kansas City Royals were among the other teams interested in Jones. The Chicago White Sox were looking for a center fielder, but Jones wasn't on their radar.

Colletti and Boras had to this point disagreed on the length of a potential deal. A major-league source said the Dodgers had in mind a two- or three-year contract, whereas Boras was believed to be looking for a package close to the five-year, $90 million deal that Torii Hunter signed with the Angels.

Back
Top Bottom