OFFICIAL 2009/2010 EPL Season Post

ugh i hate ochoa
laugh.gif

he's good...although i know some MEX fans that aren't huge fans.

So Bentley is going to Liverpool on loan? Finally Redknapp has come to his senses and will give 2 Saints a bench spot.

Kameni > a lot of the keepers being mentioned

LOL @ Valdes being on lists. Must be top 10 since he's Barca's keeper, right?

i didn't know S. Canizares retired...
embarassed.gif

all this while i thought he was either injured or was not preferred in goal...

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by c0nf0cal

Originally Posted by Jada2001Retro

Who's Cantona?
tongue.gif

I always forget there is a decent football thread on here. I was loving the Rooney diving arguments. I understand the hate, because I think the Eduardo ban was ridiculous too. The thing is, BOTH incidents (not sure why these are being so seriously compared other than their proximity in the fixture list) are down to terrible terrible goal keeping. Boruc had no business pulling out of that tackle. Had he swatted the ball, there wouldn't have been an eye blinked over that foul. Had Almunia had a brain between his ears, he wouldn't have been so indecisive on coming for the ball. Rooney had no support and Almunia really could have cut the angle on a shot. Almunia is a bad keeper, I don't know when anyone at Arsenal will get this.

How about Arshevin's goal though? Son can hit the ball. He should have had penalty a few seconds earlier. No idea what Fletcher was thinking making that sort of tackle. Foul and a hand ball.
See, this is a dude I can respect. Very balanced opinion and I think he's a Man Utd. fan too.

I agree that Almunia is dreadful. I'll never forgive him for allowing the 2-soft goals he allowed to Barcelona in the 06 UCL finals. Any decent goalie would've stopped both shots
smh.gif

Although it wasn't decisive, he should've saved the C. Ronaldo free kick goal in last season's UCL semi-finals. Almunia just flat out sucks but Wenger is probably going to wait another 7 years for one of his prospect goalies to develop
indifferent.gif

Big day tomorrow...I expect a couple of significant signings to be made by some EPL clubs.
I'm indeed a United supporter...have been since birth, but really since 1988. There was no option in my house...I actually wanted to supportCity (liked the blue shirts) but my father was having none of it.

Anyhoo...comparing keepers is tough, because you have to keep in mind they all play in different leagues and behind different defenses. For example, Van dersar was just hitting his peak years at Fullham, but they never won a thing, and he let in goals. He was really just as good for United, but he had a very good(arguably the best in Europe) central defense pair in front of him and he's won the UEFA award for best Keeper.

Saying things like Buffon is bad/overrated is crazy talk. A mistake here and there is one thing, but having a pair in big games makes a great keeper andunfortunately for the Arsenal, Almunia has bottled it more than twice. There are some positions you don't want a kid playing - GK is one of them. Keepersdon't hit their career form until 30-35 (strikers are 20-26 for comparison), generally speaking (casillas and buffon are exceptions - they're bothphenomenal). Almunia is 32, he should have better decision making at this point in his career. He's decent enough, but he's not a guy you ride toglory. Take a look at any successful team, and keeper has been the backbone (Schmeichel, Khan, Barthez (for France), Casillas (Spain), Buffon (Ita WC06), Cech(pre head injury, which he's never been the same you'll notice. Check Chelseas GA that season...ridiculously low), VDS, Valdez (he's a good keeperdespite what the pundits have to say), Lehmann). The other thing, re: keepers that people fail to recognize is the distribution of the ball after a save. Guys like Given are very good at this (Given is also massively underrated, but I won't go on about that). Howard can start a counter attack like thebest...there are so many good keepers its hard to quantify them all.

Originally Posted by rockforlight

Gulliermo Ochoa has to be in the top 7 in goal keepers in the world. He's still somewhat under the radar since he plays for Club America of Mexico, but man, this kid is a flying wall.

T.Howard >>>> ochoa.

It shouldn't be to bad...

Portugal @ Denmark 2 EST on Saturday...Denmark is leading the group with Portugal 4 pts back of 2nd place Hungary

Romania @ France 3 EST on Saturday should be a good one

Belgium @ Spain 4 EST...meaningless match but it's always fun to watch Spain these days

Brazil @ Argentina 8:30 EST on Saturday with Argentina desperate for a win in what has been a miserable spell so far for Maradona

Originally Posted by AirJordanSeattle23

portugal,france and argentina matches will prob be watched.

Probably? What other football matches are you going to be watching then?

France better not let Mutu get going and score...I'll go ape %!* if they don't win this must win game.

And you guys are sweatin' France why? They have 3 fixtures at home and 1 away vs Serbia. All they really need is 6 pts and Romania hasto win out plus make up the goal differential. I doubt it, doubt it.

All eyes are on SCOTLAND this weekend vs Macedonia. I mean, if you're not rooting for Scotland to qualify for the WC, you have no businessfollowing football. Screw everything else - even Brasil-Argentina. Their group play ends next week (2 fixtures AT HOME!!!) and everything thegame embodies will be on display in Glasgow. It will either be the best day of someone's life or one of the worst. (they already know whatit's like lol)

go Scotland. i'll be watching brasil vs argentina though. vamos argentina. just because someone doens't root root for scotland doesn't mean theydont have any business following football..that makes no sense. if scotland can contain pandev they are good to go in that game.

go Scotland. i'll be watching brasil vs argentina though. vamos argentina. just because someone doens't root root for scotland doesn't mean they dont have any business following football..that makes no sense. if scotland can contain pandev they are good to go in that game.

what channel will be showing the brasil vs. argentina game?

What's worse ? Being Scottish or Welsh ?
iv got friends in edinburgh..hearts of midlothian supporters. soctlands cool..irn bru.walkers short bread good times. never been to wales..soi'll pick wales.

What's worse ? Being Scottish or Welsh ?
iv got friends in edinburgh..hearts of midlothian supporters. soctlands cool..irn bru.walkers short bread good times. never been to wales..so i'll pick wales.
I don't know what it is, but the English are straight clowns when it comes to their boys in the United Kingdom.

Originally Posted by Jada2001Retro

France better not let Mutu get going and score...I'll go ape %!* if they don't win this must win game.
Mutu is out with an injury I believe

definitely tuning into Portugal/Denmmark and Argentina/Brazil, should be good ones

Chelsea banned from making transfers until 2011
laugh.gif
eek.gif

On the occasion of its last meeting held on 27 August 2009, the Dispute Resolution Chamber (DRC) was called to pass a decision in a contractual dispute opposing the French club Lens to the French player Gael Kakuta and the English club Chelsea.

The French club had lodged a claim with FIFA seeking compensation for breach of contract from the player and requesting also sporting sanctions to be imposed on the player and the English club for breach of contract and inducement to breach of contract respectively.

The DRC found that the player had indeed breached a contract signed with the French club. Equally, the DRC deemed it to be established that the English club induced the player to such a breach.

As a result the player was condemned to pay compensation in the amount of EUR 780,000, for which the club, Chelsea, are jointly and severally liable, and sporting sanctions were imposed on both the player and Chelsea in accordance with art. 17 par. 3 and 4 of the Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players.

A restriction of four months on his eligibility to play in official matches has been imposed on Kakuta. Chelsea are banned from registering any new players, either nationally or internationally, for the two next entire and consecutive registration periods following the notification of the present decision.

Furthermore, the club, Chelsea, have to pay Lens training compensation in the amount of EUR 130,000.

..but i wouldnt be surprised if chelsea appealed against this and end up winning
smh.gif

^
eek.gif

But like you said, they'll probably win the appeal... the big clubs usually do.

Back
Top Bottom