Votes: 77 3.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 19 0.8%
  • Neutral Grey

Votes: 32 1.4%

• Total voters
frags are trash
received_354128212006367.gif

Don't understand the Gentry hate.. Sure he makes questionable decisions but dude has literally given us everything we wanted and made sneaker culture mainstream A few bad colorways shouldn't change that.

Nike was on the decline, Gentry saved them. We argue all night about reasons to not like him but numbers don't lie. He saved jordan brand and Nike.

With success comes failures I'm sure y'all are bright enough to understand that Gentry knows how to generate money and broaden brand awareness. Y'all talk like this dude is the worst businessman ever. Nike wouldn't have begged for him to come back if that was true. Also you have to realize Nike is more than just jordan brand. Those mars landing air max joints are a perfect example of that risk taking you spoke about that's a great shoe. Also I'm at the age where I can respect retros as well as retro+ I like the Turbo greens and hyper Crimsons as much as I like the Bred 6s. This site is full of sneakerheads who are passionate about shoes but I think we lose site that the average consumer could care less about the things we nitpick on here like materials, height, shape etc they just like dope colorways and options Gentry understands that

You are either related to Gentry or the man himself. Gentry is hands down the worst thing that has ever happened to a Jordan enthusiast. You forget that the fans are the most important equation of this line. In the mid 2000’s when he came on board, his sole mission was to alter the Air Jordan line so we couldn’t have accurate Retros. He’s on the record admitting this too. In his dumbass reasoning, he didn’t want Retros to take away from the Original and the collectors. Well I owned all of the originals and I’m a collector and I thought that was the dumbest **** I’d ever heard.

Unpopular opinion, but **** the average consumer, this shoe isn’t for them. This line has history and it should be held to the exact specifications as the athlete who inspired it to be made. That used to be the mantra for this line you know. People who casually wear this shoe aren’t the ones who the catering should favor.

When Gentry’s B.A. left, that’s when we saw the reemergence of this brand. He had nothing to do with the Re-mastered program, yet he’s hellbent on ruining it. I don’t know why they brought him back other than he’d run things before and the familiarity of having him back in charge made sense. The executive who ran things from his first departure should have never left, now we’re stuck with terrible Retros like we had from 2003 - 2015.

So is that shoe unfinished and all those swooshes are gonna be yellow (which I actually wouldn't mind)...or is that the finished product?

No doubt Gentry had some hits during his first tenure, mostly with retro+ stuff...CG 11’s like @hiphopsays mentioned for example...But well...The sun even shines on a dogs *** some days...

Certainly more negative came out of his run than positive...AND it can be argued that more positive has happened with the brand since he’s been gone...At least from a sneaker heads perspective...Coincidence that the Foam line was run into the ground while he was steering the ship over in Sportswear for the past several years? Could be I guess...

The jaundiced swoosh was bad enough, but a stolen one too would make them WOAT level.. Those have to be production samples of some sort.

You are either related to Gentry or the man himself. Gentry is hands down the worst thing that has ever happened to a Jordan enthusiast. You forget that the fans are the most important equation of this line. In the mid 2000’s when he came on board, his sole mission was to alter the Air Jordan line so we couldn’t have accurate Retros. He’s on the record admitting this too. In his dumbass reasoning, he didn’t want Retros to take away from the Original and the collectors. Well I owned all of the originals and I’m a collector and I thought that was the dumbest **** I’d ever heard.

Unpopular opinion, but **** the average consumer, this shoe isn’t for them. This line has history and it should be held to the exact specifications as the athlete who inspired it to be made. That used to be the mantra for this line you know. People who casually wear this shoe aren’t the ones who the catering should favor.

When Gentry’s B.A. left, that’s when we saw the reemergence of this brand. He had nothing to do with the Re-mastered program, yet he’s hellbent on ruining it. I don’t know why they brought him back other than he’d run things before and the familiarity of having him back in charge made sense. The executive who ran things from his first departure should have never left, now we’re stuck with terrible Retros like we had from 2003 - 2015.
Your post is proving my point. We're sneakerheads or more specifically Jordan heads so when we look at things we are looking at through a person who is passionate about Jordans and its history. What we lose track of is that this is a business, catering to simply one niche audience isn't good business. Casual consumers far outnumber legit Jordan heads. All they care about are colorways and popular(hyped) shoes. The history, materials etc they could care less about. This is a business and Gentry is a businessman who happens to love sneakers. You argue that he's terrible for Jordan heads but as a businessman he's what nike needs.

Your post is proving my point. We're sneakerheads or more specifically Jordan heads so when we look at things we are looking at through a person who is passionate about Jordans and its history. What we lose track of is that this is a business, catering to simply one niche audience isn't good business. Casual consumers far outnumber legit Jordan heads. All they care about are colorways and popular(hyped) shoes. The history, materials etc they could care less about. This is a business and Gentry is a businessman who happens to love sneakers. You argue that he's terrible for Jordan heads but as a businessman he's what nike needs.

Dude, most casual consumers aren’t dropping $190+ MSRP, much less more than that on resale, on casual sneakers. Interest in sneaker culture has grown, hence why Nike/JB have been able to sell more and more pairs and increase retail prices. The people that are buying these are either resellers or sneaker-heads. Casual consumers are buying Roshes, Frees, cheaper Air Max models, etc. etc. If you don’t believe me-look at when someone posts a deal for retros on Slickdeals. Most people in the comments are either thrilled to save $40-$50 on a pair of retros or are completely on the other side and comment on how stupid it is to spend over $100 on a pair of sneakers.

They’re basing that assessment off the product code I bet...Problem is the product code changes each time they release the shoe anyway...

Very true, can’t wait until we start seeing UAs being shown on IG

Maybe because the OG was never called “BANNEDS” :sick:
Better than Breds. At least that knickname isn’t as annoying as ‘raptors’ or ‘candy canes’ and is pertinent to the history of the shoe.

Nothing to do but wait to see what iteration of black and red 1’s are to release.

Bred, Banned, whatever they’re called

Very true, can’t wait until we start seeing UAs being shown on IG

Better than Breds. At least that knickname isn’t as annoying as ‘raptors’ or ‘candy canes’ and is pertinent to the history of the shoe.
It wasn't even "banned" in the first place. Bred is more fitting IMO.

Dude, most casual consumers aren’t dropping $190+ MSRP, much less more than that on resale, on casual sneakers. Interest in sneaker culture has grown, hence why Nike/JB have been able to sell more and more pairs and increase retail prices. The people that are buying these are either resellers or sneaker-heads. Casual consumers are buying Roshes, Frees, cheaper Air Max models, etc. etc. If you don’t believe me-look at when someone posts a deal for retros on Slickdeals. Most people in the comments are either thrilled to save $40-$50 on a pair of retros or are completely on the other side and comment on how stupid it is to spend over $100 on a pair of sneakers.
I'm going to respectfully disagree. I'm in between the young and older eras. You are really underestimating the youth. They buy Jordans by the truckload. Who do you think is buying up the mids and colorways that sneaker elitist hate like the hyper Crimsons? Also, I ask this respectfully but do you think you can do Gentry's job? Two years after he left adidas took Jordan's spot as the 2nd highest selling brand, now dude has to once again come and save Jordan and its sales. Y'all like to talk down on him but dude gets results and knows how to sell sneakers. Not sure why y'all try so hard to discredit him.

Back
Top Bottom