Official I have Windows 7 vol. Windows ftw :hat

Just installed my copy of Windows 7... What is so special, anywhere I can read about it and use its new features?

Vista wasn't THAT bad to me, but Windows 7 is smooth. It shuts down quick, wakes up quick from sleep. The toolbar even made me remove objectdock for now.Highly recommended if you have a PC

Originally Posted by Jiffyl00b

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

I copped a dell over the summer, do I get a free uprgrade?

but Im completely new to vista and I love it, windows 7 doesnt look worth it
Yea man, i picked up a new Dell in July, I asked the guys over at the Best Buy where I bought my laptop at, and they said Dell is like the only company that's not doing any promotional deals or specials with/for Windows 7
tired.gif
. HP, Sony and all those other companies have a free or atleast discounted upgrade.
I got a Dell about a month and a half-two months ago and got the free upgrade....

Are you sure it's W7 that is making you FF freeze?

Anywho Microsoft Office 2010 Professional beta is out if you haven't heard already/

Just a heads up for those that may not like seeing only icons in the taskbar, like myself - you can change the taskbar so that there's some text similar toWindows Vista, XP, etc.

d5a35efe4a016d8ec18fee2bdd64c7d06ec3a45.jpg

Right click on the taskbar --> properties --> taskbar buttons: never combine

Originally Posted by R31J23

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

You don't "need" anything extra to run 64-bit. It just makes more use of your 4GB+ RAM. on 32-bit I think your only using about 2GB.
thanks. im gonna go ahead and get 7 today and try it out then.

was that 5.2 out of a 10 for suitability of upgrade? If so that seems hellllla off
laugh.gif

I've been using Windows 7 since the RTM in August since I'm a student with a University that provides MSDNAA

I really don't see the big deal about it. I personally had no significant issues with Vista (although at the beginning it was a !+!$* to use and UAC wasterrible). A couple of tweaks and Vista was cool. Windows 7 is definitely what vista should have been. I don't really like how they went from "MyDocuments" in XP --> "Documents" in vista (like it should be) ---> "Documents" AND "My Documents" in Windows 7 (Iunderstand the purpose, but as far as I'm concerned it's ******ed).

From a strict user interface perspective, I don't use all the new feature,s, but they are definitely very good and very welcome.

I use OS X (Mac Book Pro) and use Windows 7 on VMWare Fusion on that laptop for when I require Windows. As a Windows native, I have trouble with some of theMac conventions, but love OS X. I personally don't understand how the hell people say "OS X > Win 7" or "Win 7 > OS X" in anydefinitive sense. From surface perspective ie. using oit for what most people use it for; moving files, browsing, word processing and all that, Win 7 and OS Xare pretty much on par with each other -- it's ALL personal preference. It's at a point where Macs are no longer subordinate to Windows, but no one canrealy say it's definitively better.

Anywho Microsoft Office 2010 Professional beta is out if you haven't heard already

Any idea how long its available for download? I just ordered a Thinkpad (my first laptop
happy.gif
) this week but I know I won't be getting it for another 2 weeks...

Anyone here install successfully without backing their stuff up?

I want to install it right now, but have no way of backing up my drives.

Originally Posted by SleepyBlueDemon

Anywho Microsoft Office 2010 Professional beta is out if you haven't heard already

Any idea how long its available for download? I just ordered a Thinkpad (my first laptop
happy.gif
) this week but I know I won't be getting it for another 2 weeks...

it's a 680MB file. takes a little while, but speed is pretty good

Originally Posted by SWOBOYdeHTEEZY

Anyone here install successfully without backing their stuff up?

I want to install it right now, but have no way of backing up my drives.
Yes, I did a clean install from XP to Windows 7 and it was pretty flawless. The only thing I had to upgrade (actually, I had to re-install) wereaudio drivers from RealTek. I just went to the RealTek website and downloaded the audio drivers without any problem.

As for any files, folders and programs you might currently have on your system that you might be afraid of losing (that's if you're doing a cleaninstall), Windows 7 installation will actually set up a folder named "Windows.old" for you. This folder will contain all those files from yourprevious operating system and will appear in your user folder system after the installation.

i dont know if this has been explained, or answered but...
say i wanted to buy a new laptop

could i have windows xp installed on it?

i know some of you might say why, but i dont like change
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by TheSouthside

i dont know if this has been explained, or answered but...
say i wanted to buy a new laptop

could i have windows xp installed on it?

i know some of you might say why, but i dont like change
ohwell.gif

You can just o=go ahead and geit with Windows 7

If you feel you need XP for some things you can use a VirtualBox. Run an OS within an OS

Back
Top Bottom