Official Jazz thread

Oh psk, in regards of me heading up to NOVA or DC. I had a guy from Lockheed call me yesterday. He told me to hit him up after this summer semester and if my cum GPA is good enough he'll try to set me up with some people to get an internship up there.

The Branford Marsalis Quartet - A Love Supreme (Live Amsterdam March 2003)

Playing the classic Coltrane album...Fire...

Branford Marsalis: Saxophones
Joey Calderazzo: Piano
Eric Revis: Bass
Jeff "Tain" Watts: Drums

Been playing a ton of Melody Gardot within the last year or so. Her voice is just mesmerizing

Jeremy Pelt - Tonight (Live in Chicago 6/17/12)

I picked Pelt's new release earlier this year also. Live version of my favorite track off of it...

Tuck & Patti - Europa

Cover of Santana...I love the way he incorporates harmonics so effortlessly into his playing...

Branford Marsalis Quartet - Again Never (Mo Better Blue Soundtrack)

One of the best movies soundtracks ever with the best quartet in the modern era with Terrence Blanchard on trumpet....

Branford - tenor sax
Kenny Kirkland - piano (RIP brother, we miss you)
Jeff "Tain" Watts - drums
Robert Hurst - bass

Thanks for posting guys...

Yes, I'm familiar & enjoy both Jane Monheit and Melody Gardot... Melody has a nice quality to her voice which just great for jazz, I think.  

Yeah, a few good "newer" guys up there too.  I dunno, but I kinda never considered Branford as a "new" guy. I know it sounds weird, but I guess its just cuz he's been around for so long, vs some of the guys who have only been around for the past few years. Ultimately, I guess it comes down to the material these new guys play.  I prefer older/traditional tunes, but a lot of new guys probably want to stay away from that stuff in an attempt to differentiate themselves.  Nothing against their talent or technical ability... just down to music preference for me, I suppose.

Anyway, can't go wrong with Buddy Rich and Lionel Hampton!

Last edited:
Hank Mobley - Split Feelins'

I always thought of Branford as kinda the "leader of the new school". I was very lucky to have seen him several times in the 90s. I'm excited about his new release that's coming shortly called 4 MFers Playing (or something like that). Some of the vids I posted when the thread was young are gone so I'm reposting this.

Robert Glasper - Enoch's Meditation (Live WBGO Studios 1/14/09)

The most lyrical jazz pianist out there today (IMO)...

Added the following albums to my iTunes -

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Bob James - One :wow:
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Last edited:
Grant Green - Django

Unrelated, but can't wait for Quentin Tarantino's new flick coming out at the end of the year...

Grant Green - Let The Music Take Your Mind

I know this is more funk than jazz, but where else can I post this great song to share?!?!

Jimmy Smith - Root Down (And Get It)

Another funk song from a jazz legend...Made famous by the Beastie Boys. RIP MCA....

Herbie Hancock - Watermelon Man

Herbie - piano
Freddie Bubbard - trumpet
Dexter Gordon - saxaphone
Butch Warren - Bass
Billy Higgins - drums

Man, that line-up!!!

John Coltrane & Duke Ellington - My Little Brown Book

No one plays a sweeter sax than Coltrane. Listen to that tone & melody....

Back
Top Bottom