Official Jazz thread

One more from Glasper...Not many cats can pull sounding so lush as a trio.
pimp.gif
 Bonne nuit...

39d360c16d07c6cd70421e5332060cf2d8db512f_r.jpg
93d268161ec437a21503320aa41072eb64d361c8_r.jpg

Got this CD & the DVD for Christmas. Today was the first time I was able to really sit down & listen to at least the first couple of songs. I was blown away. They did a bootleg series for Bob Dylan & Johnny Cash which yielded a lot of terrific stuff so I was geeked out when they said they were giving Miles the same treatment. I was blown away but this CD. I have a box set of Miles - Complete Live At The Plugged Nickel 1965, but this bootleg release is light years ahead of what Miles played then.

This iteration of of his quintet featured Wayne Shorter on alto sax, Herbie Hancock on piano, Ron Carter on bass, & Tony Williams on drums. This CD along with what ever they release in the future is a must have for any true jazz/music heads. He went from playing that cali cool or cool jazz stuff in '65 (around when Birth of Cool was released) to full bebop/hardbop/modal jazz and he had the players to do it here too.

Pulled from his website here.

On February 28, 2012, Robert Glasper Experiment will release Black Radio (Blue Note Records/EMI), a future landmark album that boldly stakes out new musical territory and transcends any notion of genre, drawing from jazz, hip hop, R&B and rock, but refusing to be pinned down by any one tag. The first full-length album from the GRAMMY-nominated keyboardist’s electric Experiment band—saxist Casey Benjamin, bassist Derrick Hodge, and drummer Chris Dave—Black Radio also features many of Glasper’s famous friends from the spectrum of urban music, seamlessly incorporating appearances from a jaw-dropping roll call of special guests including Erykah Badu, Bilal, Lupe Fiasco, Lalah Hathaway, Shafiq Husayn (Sa-Ra), KING, Ledisi, Chrisette Michele, Mos Def, Musiq Soulchild, Meshell Ndegeocello, and Stokley Williams (Mint Condition).

Throughout the Experiment wears its eclecticism on its sleeve, presenting new collaborative originals and surprising cover songs. They transform the Afro-Cuban standard “Afro Blueâ€

Originally Posted by psk2310

There is a great segment on the album art from Blue Note records at the 65 min mark. It's some of the best graphic design out there...

^When I saw where you said the vid showed some artwork... I HAD to check it out.

I'm kinda surprised they showed the Anthony Williams cover because it is VERY basic and doesn't really grab your attention like a lot of other Blue Note covers do.I found my copy (if i'm not mistaken) around the summer of 2011.

laugh.gif
That pic wasn't posted with the intentions of showing off or anything either.Just sharing with other fellow Jazz heads.

What up Ruxxx. I didn't take that photo as you were showing off. It was cool that you had it...Some of the best graphic design is often basic stuff - less is more...

During the 70s, aside from his fusion period, Miles didn't record much or perform live. He became a hermit junkie & there were reports that he was dying or dead constantly popping up by the time the mid 70s rolled around.

Denzel Washington's character Bleek Gilliam in Mo Better Blues was loosely based on Miles during this period (minus the drugs). Specifically right after Bleek got beat up & stopped playing for several years. Despite becoming a junkie, Miles began painting & sculping, becoming an accomplished artist. I always wondered how a genius on par with Mozart or Beethoven just stoped playing & composing music for a whole decade.

Looks like Don Cheadle is developing a movie with the Davis family's blessing covering this period. SlashFilm.com has a post here. Looks like George Tillman who directed the Biggie biopic Notorious is also developing a film too. The link to that story again from SlashFilm.com can be found here. Notorious felt like a made for HBO or Showtime movie to me so I'm not too excited about Tillman's proect but Cheadle's project sounds aiight...

Watching bits of my new Miles live dvd made me pull out some other music DVDs to watch my favorite bits. I've always liked some of Sting's stuff (big Police fan). I really liked Herbie Hancock reworking Sting's Sister Moon & pairing him with Cyro Baptista...Love that dude playing percussion, I just know he would've added some cow bell if he could...

Bebel's father is Joao who played with Stan Getz. My wife & I saw her like 6-7 years ago in NYC. Love her music...
pimp.gif
yup, i have Getz/Gilberto on vinyl.. those two are musical pioneers.
yo can anyone identify any of the songs from this mix (particularly the first one)??? i feel like i've heard most of them before, just wasn't sure of the names/artists. good listen btw if you have 30min to chill out:

Wayne Shorter with Herbie Hancock. BTW, congrats to Sonny Rollins on his Kennedy Center honors. Good to see he's doing well at 82 years old.

SMH at dudes arguing sides on the Common/Drake thread. Can't believe that thread has grown to 28 pages...%!$!!? I sincerely hope everyone of those people are young... I need some Roy Hargrove to mellow out.

budos band... manahan street band... my two fave rite now... oh and el michel affair... sounding out the city is the soundtract to my life...

Originally Posted by DT43

Bebel's father is Joao who played with Stan Getz. My wife & I saw her like 6-7 years ago in NYC. Love her music...
pimp.gif
yup, i have Getz/Gilberto on vinyl.. those two are musical pioneers.�
yo can anyone identify any of the songs from this mix (particularly the first one)??? i feel like i've heard most of them before, just wasn't sure of the names/artists. good listen btw if you have 30min to chill out:

That first song is just sick. It sounds like a lot like that obscure Marc Moulin/Placebo *!!% out of Belgium,but I could be WAY off.

Stevie Ray Vaughn is a blues guitar player, but he always did some Jazz influenced songs like Chitlins Carne Carne. Always loved Riviera Paradise. RIP Stevie...

Aww what the heck. Posting this....Jungle Fever was on cable the other night & it made me pull out Mo Better Blues on DVD & watch it. Still can't believe Guru is dead. RIP Gift Unlimited Rhymes Universal...

Back
Top Bottom