Official Jazz thread

I read somewhere that Kenny Kirkland wrote this song based on his childhood. How he had to practice playing piano while the neighborhood kids played outside. That memory was used as scenes in the beginning & end of Mo Better Blues. Kenny was a long time piano player for Branford & died several years ago. RIP KK...

Originally Posted by omgitswes

A little piece sounded like a Nas joint. The World is yours
Ha, ha...Damn Wes, you nailed it...Pete Rock used it for the Nas song...

haha
pimp.gif
. Didn't know Pete Rock produced that.

If y'all haven't noticed I really like vocal jazz. Came across this girl yesterday just browsing youtube.
Only heard Ella sing this song, but I like this girl too.

Wow, that girl can blow. She's hot too. Here is your prize for guessing right. Sting shot this DVD concert on 9/11 & he wasn't sure if he was going to proceed with it. It was also telecast live on the internet too. I'm glad he did it because he had an amazing band & great performance. Features your boy Chris Botti on trumpet & Christian McBride on bass. Song was on his first album The Dream Of Blue Turtles back in 1985 & inspired by Anne Rice's Interview With A Vampire. Let me know what you think Wes.

A while back, I mentioned this documentary. It's out of print & hard to find on DVD. While surfing through youtube, I saw someone had uploaded the whole thing. If you like/love jazz this is a must watch. It's beautifully done by acclaimed photographer Bruce Weber. Chet had a long history of heroin abuse & he tragically commited suicide by jumping out of a hotel window...

Originally Posted by psk2310

A while back, I mentioned this documentary. It's out of print & hard to find on DVD. While surfing through youtube, I saw someone had uploaded the whole thing. If you like/love jazz this is a must watch. It's beautifully done by acclaimed photographer Bruce Weber.�Chet had a long history of heroin abuse & he tragically commited suicide by jumping out of a hotel window...
Thanks I'm watching this tonight.

I'm not a huge Sting fan at all, but yeah you're right that band was really good. I've noticed Botti has done a few songs with Sting now.
Do you know if Botti is putting out another album anytime soon?

Wes- Not sure what Botti is up too.

Mo Matik- Love that Monk.

I was digging through some CDs I had in storage & pulled this out. Hadn't listened to this in a long while. Husband & wife duo. Not sure if they're still around. Loved this medley of Castles Made of Sand/Little Wing. Tuck is one of the most underated guitarist ever...

This is a cover of Carlos Santana's Europa. I dare say this is better than the original...As humble as he is, I bet Santana might agree. Tuck's use of harmonics into his playing is nuts.

Didn't realize I never posted the original version of Maiden Voyage in there. One of my favorite jazz tunes...

One of my good friends from high school is Roy Ayers nephew or cousin or something like that I don't remember. I just remember they're related.
I know this isn't really jazz, more funk but Roy has some jazz tracks out doesn't he?

One more from Lee Morgan. Dude's songs always had a bop or slight funk to them. Love the title of this album, The Rumproller...

Not sure why dude posted a photo of Miles, but here's a Clifford Brown tune featuring Max Roach...

McCoy Tyner on piano & Elvin Jones on Drums amongst others. Elvin influenced very single British rock drummer back in the 60s. They were all facinated by him. From Charlie Watts, Keith Moon, & John Bonham. All of them. Even American acts like the Doors' John Densmore cited him as a major influence...

I didn't know this thread existed....but here is my contribution...
He and James Brown are my favorite artists of all time. I was called out on another thread for not participating here....
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom