Official NBA Off-Season Thread. New 2012-2013 Thread Has Been Made. Please Post In There

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gasol, Z-Bo, Conley, Gay, and Allen? Surely Bayless belongs.

Yep.

After looking through the teams, it looks like they have the order of how each player should be ranked on the team. Marc was #1, Rudy #2, ZBo #3, Conley #4 and TA #5. Seems about right being that Marc was the all-star last year. Hopefully, ZBO gets back to his all star level this season.

Bayless was #197. I think he moved down from last year. He had his best year, but didn't play much. OJ moved up about 20 spots and didn't have a great year. :lol:

I'm thinking Marc in the top 25, Rudy top 30, ZBO top 35. Conley top 50 and TA top 70.

i got 50 saythe bullsmake playoffs this year. it sounds crazy that a coach with a 75% winning percentage can't win half his games. rose will be back in time to push them over finish line

$50 anyone?

yea because Rose will be a 100%, hes an idiot if he comes back this season point blank.

and if he does come back he wont be the player he was before hand rushing back onto the court.

Bulls are a non factor this season

Who exactly is Rich Paul, LeBron’s new agent

LeBron James announced his change of agents with a hashtag announcement on Twitter — #THETAKEOVER.

Which leads to two questions:

_ Is this Step One Before “The Decision” Part II?

_ Who exactly is Rich Paul, who becomes LeBron’s third NBA agent, replacing Leon Rose, who replaced Aaron Goodwin.

Early this morning, word began to spread that the reigning MVP, Finals MVP and Olympic gold medalist would be joining Klutch Sports, a newly formed agency by his childhood friend, Paul.

The face of the league, James has seen his popularity and likability fluctuate greatly over the last two years with his decision to leave Cleveland and join the Miami Heat. While his decision did lead to a title, many around James say that he never anticipated the level of vitriol directed at him and was noticeably shaken by being among the most despised players in the NBA when he took his talents to South Beach. (Our man Sheridan predicted it on his May 14, 2010, back when he was at ESPN.com).

For his part, Paul has largely been above the fray during James’ trials and tribulations over the past two years.

A friend of James since he was at St. Vincent-St. Mary’s High School in Akron, Paul is one of the R’s in LRMR, James’ management and marketing group.

While others around James opted to be reliant on him for income and opportunities, Paul chose a different path.

Paul came from humble beginnings at Cleveland Benedictine, where he was a standout basketball player and played AAU locally. Several years older than James, Paul often has been a big brother to The King, giving him the most honest and thoughtful advice in his circle.

It was Paul who urged James to not go through with “The Decision” out of concern for the damage James might do to his brand and reputation. When Maverick Carter staged a coup to consolidate power in James’ decision-making circle, Paul left to join CAA and make his own path. While a debate can be held about the relative challenges of recruiting and representing players with CAA and LeBron James behind you, it became clear that Paul had a knack for player representation.

While many agents prefer to be flashy, Paul plays it more low-key.

In an industry that prefers to keep people at arm’s length, Paul is one of the most inclusive people you will meet. It is not uncommon after Cavaliers games – where Paul is most frequently seen – for Paul to round up a group to join him for dinner afterward in Cleveland’s trendy warehouse district. Unlike many people in James’ circle that find it difficult to be punctual, Paul is the exception, arriving on time or early to most meetings and events and often in suits or business clothes as opposed to sweats.

On the night of “The Decision,” when most of James’ circle and handlers were busy with the production side and other image-related concerns, it was Paul who contacted the Cavaliers and owner Dan Gilbert to inform them that James would be leaving for the Heat.

Sources in Cleveland say that Paul always was and has been the most respected member of James’ circle, and that his conduct that night further endeared him to Gilbert and the Cavs. While Gilbert’s late night e-mail rant was vindictive, he never cut off Paul – and that was evidenced when the Cavs selected Tristan Thompson with the fourth pick in the 2011 draft over Jonas Valanciunas. Interestingly, Valanciunas is repped by Rose, while Thompson was repped by Paul.

During the 2012 draft, much speculation centered on the Cavs targeting Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, another Paul client.

Since joining CAA, Paul has been its lead recruiter and a promising agent who has handled Thompson, Kidd-Gilchrist and Eric Bledsoe, among others. While most of the agents at CAA are older, it is Paul who has the uncanny ability to relate to college kids and steer them toward his agency.

Paul also is very tight with Chris Paul, a free agent next summer. Ask most NBA executives and their circles about Paul, and it is nearly unanimous with words of praise for him as a savvy businessman and heady agent who keeps positive relationships with everyone from owners to security personnel.

Another thing commonly said about Paul is how low of a profile he keeps. Paul often sits near center court but rarely is noticed and never makes obscene gestures or animated statements towards opposing teams or players, unlike other members of James’ circle.

While Paul’s new venture is just beginning, there is no doubt he is well on his way to building a successful stable. Moreover, with the summer of 2014 looming large for many NBA teams, – and considering James, with an ETO in 2014 and an opt-out in 2015, could headline an outstanding free agent class – Paul will be in great position to get a max long-term deal for his friend.

While James’ decision is two years old, Paul has urged many in Cleveland and around the NBA not to rule out a return to the Cavaliers for LeBron.

Paul, who lives in the Cleveland suburbs, has long said that a reunion can happen.

While many in Cleveland still resent the very idea of a return of The King to northeastern Ohio, it is not completely out of the question.

Especially now, after #THETAKEOVER.
Link

LeBron putting his homies on the way he has is one part commendable and one part crazy.

yea because Rose will be a 100%, hes an idiot if he comes back this season point blank.
and if he does come back he wont be the player he was before hand rushing back onto the court.
you have know idea what your talking about

ACL injurys dont hold you out for a full year anymore its between 7-9 months with 9 been the max and 7 on the low end. so if you start hearing reports he will be back after the all star break it shouldnt be a shock to anyone

adrian peterson tore his ACL and MCL and is back in 7 months.

Last edited:
I posted an article last week that details there's no correlation between a player's level of play and how long he sits out ( 1 year vs 2 years) after an ACL tear.

you have know idea what your talking about

ACL injurys dont hold you out for a full year anymore its between 7-9 months with 9 been the max and 7 on the low end. so if you start hearing reports he will be back after the all star break it shouldnt be a shock to anyone

adrian peterson tore his ACL and MCL and is back in 7 months.

look at the way Rose plays

enough said

beating a dead horse but will not understand why people think Rose and Shumpert need shut things down for an entire year. Perk, David West, Al Jeff, Bill Walker, Kyle Lowry, Jamal Crawford, Baron Davis etc etc etc - all within 9 months were back playing. They'll be back in plenty of time (all star break?), not 100% - but on the court at least. And some of those are dated and technology/medicine/rehab has only improved.

anyone wanting to make that bet, just name the price and we have a deal.

Last edited:
I posted an article last week that details there's no correlation between a player's level of play and how long he sits out ( 1 year vs 2 years) after an ACL tear.
Using factual evidence to support a claim is overrated.. just listen to Zyzz and watch how Rose plays

enough said.

beating a dead horse but will not understand why people think Rose and Shumpert need shut things down for an entire year. Perk, David West, Al Jeff, Bill Walker, Kyle Lowry, Jamal Crawford, Baron Davis etc etc etc - all within 9 months were back playing. They'll be back in plenty of time (all star break?), not 100% - but on the court at least. And some of those are dated and technology/medicine/rehab has only improved.
Perk also gained 60lbs and was a shell of his former self and has been injured ever since. Baron Davis went down again, and beyond that none of them are the same caliber of athlete as Rose and Shump anyways. But those 2 are certainly harder workers so who knows? They're not winning even with him so why not? Tank and get a lotto pick to bring with a returning Derrick Rose next season.

Speaking of ACL tears and returns, some Thunder players were just talking about how great Maynor looks and how he's dunking now which he never had done before.

Last edited:

Rose>>>>>them

hes young, id rather be cautious then stupid

Link
LeBron putting his homies on the way he has is one part commendable and one part crazy.
Wow.

I'll tell you this much. In 2014 LeBron will be 29 years old and Wade will be 32. I'd rather play with a 22 year old Kyrie Irving for the final contract of my career.

LeBron really might go back :lol:

the nets are a brand new team with a bunch of guys throwing on the team but yall think they will work from day 1 but dont trust the knicks? i dont understand that

i may hate the knicks but some of yall give them little to zero credit

yup

not to mention the knicks not having dantoni for a full season

somebody please take mike brown away!

Chauncey Billups assisted on O.J. Mayo signing

The plan to have Jason Kidd help recruit Deron Williams to Dallas didn’t quite work out for the Mavs.

But the Mavs did get an assist from an old point guard during the free-agency process. It just wasn’t one that’s ever worn a Mavs uniform.

O.J. Mayo reached out to Chauncey Billups, one of his favorite players in the league, while researching potential destinations this summer. Billups strongly recommended that Mayo play for Rick Carlisle, who played a significant role in Billups achieving his potential.

“He said (Carlisle) is a great coach for me to help expand my game,” Mayo said.

Billups, like Mayo now, was a No. 3 overall pick in his mid-20s who hadn’t lived up high-lottery expectations when he signed with the Carlisle-coached Pistons in the summer of 2002. Detroit was Billups’ fifth NBA team, and while he showed promise as a part-time starter the previous season in Minnesota, he had yet to prove he could be a premier point guard.

Carlisle gave Billups that opportunity in 2002-03, when he started for a 50-win team that advanced to the conference finals. That was the only seasons Carlisle coached Billups, but Billups gives Carlisle credit for helping him become a five-time All-Star and two-time NBA champion who is now known as Mr. Big Shot.

Mayo hasn’t bounced around the league, having spent his entire four-year career with the Memphis Grizzlies, but he has a lot of similarities to the 2002 version of Billups. Mayo is a No. 3 overall pick whose career hasn’t progressed as anticipated.

Billups’ advice to Mayo: Let Carlisle coach you.

That’s exactly what Mayo has done. He arrived in Dallas a month ago specifically so he could work with Carlisle.

Mayo usually works on one specific weakness each summer. He’s worked on whatever Carlisle wanted recently.

“My whole thing is to give my game to Coach and let him help me get better in ways I can help the team,” Mayo said.

That’s included refining something Mayo considered one of his biggest strengths: shooting the ball.

They’ve worked on keeping the ball high and staying ready to shoot, especially when Mayo gets fatigued. Carlisle used Reggie Miller and Rip Hamilton -- a couple of elite shooters he’s coached -- as examples and pointed out Mayo’s flaws while reviewing film of Grizzlies games.

“It was different, because I had never worked on it,” Mayo said. “It was actually a little irritating because I was comfortable with my shot, but he’s helped it a lot. Through workouts, it’s more efficient, more consistent. He’s just a great coach.”

Just like Billups told Mayo.
Link

Rose will be fine in terms of coming back this year, them making the playoffs all depends on when exactly he comes back, though. I can see him coming back in January, its just getting back to game mode will take some time too. That's a lot of time off from games, so shaking off the rust, getting strength back in his knee, & getting back to game mode will take some time. If he comes back in January, I think Chicago will end up making the playoffs...

@Chris_Broussard: Olajuwon will be in NY next week to work out with @Amareisreal @carmeloanthony @tysonchandler & @MarcusCamby23 story on http://Espn.com

Hakeem Olajuwon to train Knicks
By Chris Broussard
ESPN.com

If all goes as planned, the New York Knicks will have a frontcourt full of "Dream Shakers."

Hakeem Olajuwon, one of the greatest players in NBA history and the architect of the legendary "Dream Shake" post move, will spend several days next week training some of their players at the team's practice facility in Greenburgh, N.Y.

Olajuwon, who will fly from his home in Texas, said he expects to work out with Amare Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony, Tyson Chandler and Marcus Camby.

Olajuwon worked out with Stoudemire earlier this summer, training the Knicks center for two-and-a-half weeks in the gymnasium on his 400-acre ranch outside of Houston. Olajuwon, who was able to excel alongside superstar teammates Ralph Sampson and Clyde Drexler, said there's no reason Stoudemire and Anthony can't have similar success playing next to one another.

"They both have to realize that the most important thing is not how great you are individually," Olajuwon said. "You're remembered for how many games you win. So to get to play with another great offensive player should help you. It should make your job easier. You have to work well together. You can't be competitors with one another."

While Olajuwon has taught Stoudemire back-to-the-basket post moves, he said the Knicks' game plan should not be simply to post up Stoudemire while Anthony dominates the perimeter.

"It shouldn't be Amare just staying in the post because he can be a scorer in the paint and outside," Olajuwon said. "It's the same thing for Carmelo. He can score in the post and outside. So if Carmelo is in the post, Amare can be at the foul line and he can make that shot. If Amare's in the post, Carmelo can make the shot from the free-throw line, too. They shouldn't be competing against each other; they should be complementing each other. They need each other to win."

But Olajuwon doesn't think the Knicks need to be a two-man show offensively. He sees great offensive potential in Chandler, who averaged 11 points per game for the Knicks last season, three above his career average.

http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=8375671&type=story

Last edited:
Who in the league has not been worked out by Hakeem?

Nice to see some video of Broy on the court on the Wolves website :smokin

Billups giving sound advice to Ovinton J'Anthony :nthat:

The Dream hired to help out NYK's bigs :nerd:
(Wish he could help out DJ & Blake |I)

BRoy is back!!! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom