***Official Political Discussion Thread***

This guy.....Are you okay this morning? Drink some water.

You never used a knife to cut vegetables or to help you cook? Have you ever gone camping? You can use a knife for all kinds of things? Most knives are not for killing.

This guy...

Have you ever played laser tag with a laser gun?

Have you ever played paintball with a paintball gun?

How about a super soaker gun? BB gun?

Ever been skeet shooting? Hunting? Etc?

This guy...

Have you ever played laser tag with a laser gun?

Have you ever played paintball with a paintball gun?

How about a super soaker gun? BB gun?

Ever been skeet shooting? Hunting? Etc?

You didn't drink that water did you? What kind of gun did Dump Jr reference again?

As do different guns.

So you're shifting the conversation to super soakers and laser tag :lol:

I own the kind of weapons a lot of folks on here don't like. My newest receiver actually pokes fun at liberals and "snowflakes", and I love it with the design and graphics. But people like you being disingenuous make logical and responsible gun owners look bad.

Stop making it easy for them lol

Knives were designed to be an eating utensil. Guns were designed to murder.

This is factually inaccurate. Knives were designed to hunt.

And... even if you talk about them as an eating utensil, it is to eat what has been murdered.

Many guns are designed to hunt, food.

So you're shifting the conversation to super soakers and laser tag :lol:

I own the kind of weapons a lot of folks on here don't like. My newest receiver actually pokes fun at liberals and "snowflakes", and I love it with the design and graphics. But people like you being disingenuous make logical and responsible gun owners look bad.

Stop making it easy for them lol

I also mentioned hunting rifles, etc. The point is that the only use for a gun is not mass murder, as the poster implied. There is also self-defense, target practice, skeet shooting, hunting, etc.

A lot of people have a limited perspective as it relates to guns and it is clear based on the responses.

Reminds me of Killer Mike on the Brilliant Idiots saying a lot of people don't know where food comes from.

Knives are also a hunting tool. Mainly to clean the animal after it has been killed from a safe distance.

Most hunters throughout history, have not replied on a knife as their main tool to kill an animal. It was spears, bows and arrows, guns, etc.

I know tons of dudes that hunt. They are not chasing ducks and dears with knives.

DWalk just rambling.

Kind of shocking that this is the first conviction in the US due to "SIM swapping" (article further down), it's not like this particular hacking method is anything new. It has been around for a few years.
It's good that US authorities are drastically ramping up their cyber crime enforcement though, specifically on this issue of SIM swapping as well. That's something that has been long overdue.
I would hope that government officials and politicians also keep an eye out and secure themselves properly. Especially when you take into account how people like Podesta and several DNC staffers fell prey to spear-phishing tactics.
In these cases the SIM swappers used the method to steal millions of dollars in cryptocurrencies but it could be used for a variety of purposes as it involves accessing an individual's emails, social media, iCloud, ... Anything that can be accessed with a text message prompt.

The SIM swap method bypasses all SMS-based 2-factor authentication security measures, hence why awareness about this method is important, as is enforcing its use in crimes. It appears the US has only started doing so in recent months despite the method being in use for several years now. In the 3 cases referenced in the article, hackers successfully (allegedly) SIM swapped Silicon Valley executives, cryptocurrency company CEOs, ...
Even though the method relies on gullible employees at the victims' mobile providers, this shows it's far from just regular folks or low level employees, aides, ... that are vulnerable to the SIM swap method. There are enough gullible employees who can be convinced through social engineering to compromise the security of even tech company executives.

The way it works is quite simple in terms of explaining it but obviously you can't just pick up the phone and get it done. Essentially what the SIM swapper does is contact the target's mobile phone provider and convince an employee to revoke the victim's SIM card and 'swap' it to a sim card on the hacker's device.
When contacting the victim's mobile provider, the hacker will pose as the victim and suggest he/she has lost her phone, is calling from a new device and needs her old sim card revoked and swapped to this new device. Ideally the hacker would have gathered sufficient information on the victim before making this call because they will normally ask for a bunch of security information. Figuring out the victim's security questions, if applicable, is key to this. If the hacker has the necessary information on the victim, all he needs is a gullible employee at the victim's mobile provider. And best believe there are plenty of those. Social engineering customer support to do the bidding of the hacker is nothing new and the same companies routinely fall for it over and over again.
Internet providers, in particular Comcast by a long shot, are also notoriously loose-lipped with people's private security information.

When the hacker has successfully convinced an employee from the victim's mobile provider to swap the SIM card, the hacker now has access to anything that uses an SMS prompt to log in or gain access to something. If the victim has 2-factor authentication enabled, it is now rendered useless because all messages and calls that were supposed to be sent to the victim's original device are now sent to the hacker's device.

As for protection against SIM swapping, I wouldn't worry much about being targeted. There's additional security options like an extra PIN code.
Using the Google Authenticator for 2-FA security is also the optimal use of 2-factor authentication, rather than the type that uses text prompts for identity verification.
For a more drastic protection measure, you can also remove your phone number from certain accounts if applicable but this obviously isn't very convenient. You can also swap your phone number with a Google Voice number, which also gives you full protection against the SIM swap method wherever VoIP is applicable.

I was actually somewhat acquainted with 2 of these individuals, though I only knew Joel Ortiz by his first name and Joseph Harris as his online alias "Doc."
Mostly superficial contacts though as we had a number mutual good acquaintances. Some business advice here and there like an appraisal or inquiring about the social media usernames they were selling and vice versa.
I haven't communicated with either of them in a few years but the arrests and the charges come as no surprise. I didn't think they'd be amongst the very first though. To me that sounds like cyber crime enforcement is at least a couple years late.
Excerpt:
66b9f5650cdb239f3fab20136ba6d697.png

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gyaqnb/hacker-joel-ortiz-sim-swapping-10-years-in-prison
Hacker Who Stole $5 Million By SIM Swapping Gets 10 Years in Prison
A 20-year-old college student who was accused of stealing more than $5 million in cryptocurrency in a slew of SIM hijacking attacks is the first person to be sentenced for the crime.

A college student who stole more than $5 million in cryptocurrency by hijacking the phone numbers of around 40 victims pleaded guilty and accepted a plea deal of 10 years in prison, Motherboard has learned.

Joel Ortiz accepted the plea deal last week, Erin West, the Deputy District Attorney in Santa Clara County, California, told Motherboard during a meeting on Thursday. The authorities believe Ortiz is the first person to be convicted of a crime for SIM swapping, an increasingly popular and damaging hack. The prosecutors and agents who have been investigating these hacks celebrated the conviction, and said they hope that this will serve as an example for the other alleged criminals who have already been arrested, as well as the ones who have yet to be caught.

"We think justice has been served. And hopefully this is a strong message to that community," Samy Tarazi, one of the agents who investigated the Ortiz case, told me.
Ortiz is one of a handful of SIM swappers who have been arrested in the last year for hijacking phone numbers and using them to then hack into emails, social media accounts, and online Bitcoin wallets. Other people who have been arrested are Xzavyer Narvaez, who’s accused of stealing around $1 million in Bitcoin; Nicholas Truglia, who’s also accused of stealing millions in Bitcoin; and Joseph Harris, one of the most infamous SIM swappers who allegedly stole more than $14 million in cryptocurrency.

The authorities think the slow but constant drip of arrests, and Ortiz’s sentencing, will send a clear message to those who are still out there.

“Each arrest that we made sent shockwaves through that community,” West said. “That they weren’t safe in their basement, they weren't safe in their room in their mom’s house, that they were being tracked down and arrested—one by one.”

West added that “in looking at Joel’s sentence—10 years—it shows that our community will not tolerate this type of crime. And we will continue to find everyone who’s responsible.”

West and her colleagues declined to say how many ongoing investigations they have, but she said that they have made new arrests and served new search warrants.

Almost all these investigations have stemmed from the Regional Enforcement Allied Computer Team or REACT, a task force of multiple local California police departments. Tarazi, an agent at REACT, said that during 2018, they received hundreds of reports of SIM swapping attacks from victims. Those reports, according to him, have now slowed down.

Ortiz will be officially sentenced on March 14.

I also mentioned hunting rifles, etc. The point is that the only use for a gun is not mass murder, as the poster implied. There is also self-defense, target practice, skeet shooting, hunting, etc.

A lot of people have a limited perspective as it relates to guns and it is clear based on the responses.

Reminds me of Killer Mike on the Brilliant Idiots saying a lot of people don't know where food comes from.

People usually have an issue with "assault" weapons. They aren't typically used for hunting because of how they destroy flesh. Their literal purpose is to kill enemy combatants.

It is clear based on your responses you don't really know anything about guns lol

Back
Top Bottom