:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Thoughts regarding yellowing of "clear soles"

Over the years, we have seen tons of different shade of yellowing on all kinds of clear soles. I kept thinking what makes them yellow at different rate and I came up with one word "moisture"

For example, I have a pair of xx22 PE and Melo M7 that I use for playing outdoor and it means that sometimes you have to step over wet grass and even when it starts raining. Both shoe absorbed a lot of moisture and I never bother to dry them after contacting with water. Result was severe yellowing of the clear sole. My 2000 Concords which I no longer have I wore them a ton sometimes in rain also had really bad yellowing.

A pair of 2003 XI low IE however, I have always treasured and never wore them in rain at all has remained fairly decent. Each time I clean them I would also towel dry the bottom and here is how the sole look after 11 years. There are yellowing but not as nearly as bad as some of the shoes from the same age. The arch at mid foot are actually still milky clear and from the side they still look pretty decent as well and interestingly I have not seen them get worst and they were never treated.

So basically I'm saying that if you are worried about yellowing of the soles. Wear them on sunny days.

Water and oxygen have long been known to hasten the yellowing process, that is why so many people wear beaters on rainy days or "rainy day shoes" and only pull out the "heat" on sunny days. Probably don't see to much people wearing shoes with translucent soles,etc. on rainy days like 11's or 6's.
Whether you kept them in your closet or wore them vigorously, keeping your soles from getting yellow is quite inevitable. Why? Because the yellowing happens due to a process called oxidation. Oxidation is the combination of a substance with oxygen. Sadly, when your icy soles are exposed to oxygen, they turn yellow! How in the world can you prevent them from turning yellow then?

If you wear your shoes, yellowing of the soles can’t be avoided. So, you are going to have to accept that you are NOT going to be wearing these shoes. Now some of you guys are probably thinking: “I just paid $175 for these Space Jams, I am wearing them!”. As a collector, I personally like to buy multiple pairs of my holy grails. In this case, I wear one pair and keep the other pair on ice. But not all of us can afford more than one pair so lets discuss best ways of keep you soles icy as long as possible.

Stay off grass, dirt, gravel and things of the sort. If you are walking with your friends and they take a shortcut via the grass, do yourself a favor and walk around. It’s NOT worth it. Do not wear in the rain! Water is your worst enemy. Water will give you the nice yellow bottom for sure… No rain or snow puddles because moisture and oxygen = yellow soles.
http://www.kicksonfire.com/2009/12/25/prevent-your-icy-sole-from-yellowing/

Good reminder though.

thanks, i should've been more clear when i wrote the above. I fail to mention i meant on top of normal oxidation the water sped up the process, so a always dry pair would yellow slower.

Has anybody figured out the right Angelus paint to use to touch up white sole VI. Angelus White and Flat White does not work. its too bright. The paint on the VI is like a milky white. I got to figure this out because I got too many white sole VI right now.

I don't know whether to use Bone,  Cream, Mist, or Neutral 

This is going to be a hot topic when everybody starts wearing their Infrareds, Carmines, and Sport Blues by the end of fall

Last edited:

Has anybody figured out the right Angelus paint to use to touch up white sole VI. Angelus White and Flat White does not work. its too bright. The paint on the VI is like a milky white. I got to figure this out because I got too many white sole VI right now.

I don't know whether to use Bone,  Cream, Mist, or Neutral 

This is going to be a hot topic when everybody starts wearing their Infrareds, Carmines, and Sport Blues by the end of fall
It might not be one solid listed color, but a mixture. I'm not too sure, but if you can't find it, I would recommend you to just mix and test things out if you're really serious about repainting them. SC forum's maintenance/custom section might also have what you're looking for, remember people talking about mixing paint all the time.

Ex. if flat white is too bright, add some bone to it,etc.

It might not be one solid listed color, but a mixture. I'm not too sure, but if you can't find it, I would recommend you to just mix and test things out if you're really serious about repainting them. SC forum's maintenance/custom section might also have what you're looking for, remember people talking about mixing paint all the time.

Ex. if flat white is too bright, add some bone to it,etc.
Excuse my ignorance bro but whats SC..Sole Collector?

Hey ppl I have a pair of gamma blue 11. Bought from house of hoops. The left shoe makes a creeking noise when I walk. I pulled the insole to locate the sound. Apperently the air bubble has popped or somthing. So annoying. Does anyone kniw ehat I can do to stop it from creeking. Sucks that this happened.

Hey ppl I have a pair of gamma blue 11. Bought from house of hoops. The left shoe makes a creeking noise when I walk. I pulled the insole to locate the sound. Apperently the air bubble has popped or somthing. So annoying. Does anyone kniw ehat I can do to stop it from creeking. Sucks that this happened.
take out the insole, and sprinkle some baby powder in. it works wonders. works on the 10s too!

Has anyone tried retrobriting the back heel with the design? Im not sure what its called but my 03 viii have yellowed from there but im nt sure if its safe or if anybody has tried it

Has anyone tried retrobriting the back heel with the design? Im not sure what its called but my 03 viii have yellowed from there but im nt sure if its safe or if anybody has tried it
It's called the back tab. It will work. Just don't get it on the Jumpman or the Nike Air design.

yes it will work but depending how you use it it might dry the tab which will lead to early breakage. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom