:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

I just picked up some space jams for 35 they are kinda dirty and have a scuff on the patent leather what can i do to get rid of it? or fix it up

"Wrap up a wet shirt around the toe box and set your iron to steam. Make sure to stuff the toe box with socks also. Then gently rub the iron on the wetshirt. It clears up the creases on the top, but not on the sides."

-this is a quote from mannchyld

Is there anyone on here who restores shoes with the seaglow. Preferably in the So Cal area. I'm tempted to order a bottle to use on my ds cool greyxi's because the soles are yellow but I rather have someone who knows what there doing to it for me instead.

Also if I took the shoes to an expert or professional place, how much do you think it would cost to get the soles fixed up

^ you know, since it's a ds pair, the yellowing shouldn't be too bad or deep. using sea glow is not too hard. i think you wouldn't need that manyapplications to get them "icy". instead of ordering the bottle, check the web site to see where they sell sea glow in so cal. i can't rememberoff the top of my head but i know there are some stores that carry it around there. you'll save money by not having to pay for shipping. and i don'tthink any shoe shop messes with sea glow so that might be out of the question. might want to check out regional forum to see if anyone would do the seaglowrestore for you if you don't want to mess with it.

Originally Posted by pimpjobu

^ you know, since it's a ds pair, the yellowing shouldn't be too bad or deep. using sea glow is not too hard. i think you wouldn't need that many applications to get them "icy". instead of ordering the bottle, check the web site to see where they sell sea glow in so cal. i can't remember off the top of my head but i know there are some stores that carry it around there. you'll save money by not having to pay for shipping. and i don't think any shoe shop messes with sea glow so that might be out of the question. might want to check out regional forum to see if anyone would do the seaglow restore for you if you don't want to mess with it.

Thanks for the response, I just said screw it and ended up ordering the big bottle. I got a few other things that could use some touching up on and a pair ofbeaters that will serve as the lab rats before I use it on the cool greys. I checked on there and there was no stores that were anywhere near my area that soldit.

I made a post in the so cal section. Now that ill have the sea glow, if i can find someone who knows what there doing, ill most likely just give them the restof the bottle for their own use after they finish doing my pair, if not ill do it myself.

Whats the best paint to use for repainting the leather on a pair of I's? also, is there anyways to turn a yellowing midsole back to its original whitecolor?

Hey everyone. I just picked up some really beat True Blue IIIs for $61 on ebay.

I haven't received the shoes yet but I just wanted to hear everyone suggestions on what I should do with them.

Things I need to know:

1. What type of paint I should get/ What colors? For Leather, Back Tab, Midsoles
2. Should I repaint the leather on them?
3. How should I go on about to restore the elephant print?
4. Also how do I use acetone, last time I used it it broke a little piece off the midsoles

Any other help is much appreciated.

15a154e4a0b4ca58f4d3355f7ab746c99c4b229.jpg

48935878eb1da82fb16ec21252fa97634d6ae92.jpg

625252fe9fabcbbcc86572a6a1307e52f5629e7.jpg

76f258eecaac0b56c065fb4a9e762e5dd0f4e16.jpg

SKRIBZZRC - Can you post a picture of your light fixture at least? I'm having trouble finding one that powers 2 seperate light bulbs and I want to seewhat yours looks like, just to get an idea. Thanks in advance!

silver paint marks on blackcats- best advice is to try out the suede/nubuck eraser. get as much as you can off of it without tearing up the suede. finish offwith suede/nubuck cleaning spray.
for the true blue iii's- angeles paint. if the leather isn't that bad looking, i would just leave it alone. as far as the colors for the paint, whiteis available. the true blue color will require some mix and match. go to home depot or lowes to see if the can color match. for the back tab, clean it up withmr clean magic eraser first. it should help it look a little better. i wouldn't paint the back tabs, just leave them the way they are. not sure about howto restore elephant print. as far as using acetone, i usually used it with a paper towel and wiped away the painted areas your trying to repaint over. got tobe careful since this stuff is pure concentrate.

Hey can someone tell me if i could get the paint off of these or is the paint dyed in the nubuck? also if i can how to restore them back to tan?

f841683d7955c16b2603acf61d410ac585d45abc.pjpg

^ i think those are not going to be able to be returned to their original tan color. i could be wrong though

^^ yeah, too dark of a color to try to get out of there. imo too much time and effort to return them back to "gingers".

Can somebody tell me what's up with my Black/red IV's from 99? The original black paint in the midsole has been chipping off, but now I got two newproblems. It's only happening to the part of the midsole supporting my arches of my feet. I don't want to pull it off because I'm scared it'llcause more trouble. It isn't a huge chunk of the midsole, but a thin piece. When I wear it, the midsole is holding up fine. What do i do? I wear the shoeat least once a week. Or once every two weeks.

^best advice if you don't want to remove the paint is just to touch up with angelus paint. i think the shoe's too old to try to remove the paint on it.it would probably do more harm than good to the shoe. the paint should be flexible enough for the touch up process. at least you can still wear your pair. mywhite/cement iv's have slowly cracked, so i really can't wear them once or twice every two weeks. so i envy the fact you can wear yours!

So this is the second time im asking the same question but does epoxy glue work on insoles. My flint 7s insoles are completely detached and i just wanted toknow whats the best glue to put them back. JB quality im telling out of all the jays i have just about all have this problem especially 7s so help me out,thanks.

^ i would think epoxy glue would do the job. should be strong enough to hold the insoles. just make sure you don't put too thick of a layer, even it out. iwould almost think that shoe goo would work also. i think both adhesives are the same texture, so it's up to you to choose. sorry i didn't answer thequestion before, probably just read over it or thought someone else answered it.

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

Can somebody tell me what's up with my Black/red IV's from 99? The original black paint in the midsole has been chipping off, but now I got two new problems. It's only happening to the part of the midsole supporting my arches of my feet. I don't want to pull it off because I'm scared it'll cause more trouble. It isn't a huge chunk of the midsole, but a thin piece. When I wear it, the midsole is holding up fine. What do i do? I wear the shoe at least once a week. Or once every two weeks.

At some point your midsole is going to crumble. Get as many wears out of those as you can.....because eventually you will have to retire them, or get a donorpair and attempt a sole swap

Whats up everyone? For those with questions about the indoor seaglowing method, let me elaborate further. (If this has already been posted.....myapologies...just wanted to show more detailed pics with my own results)

What you will need
-24 or 48 inch fluorescent shoplight (can be purchased at Lows or Home Depot)

-At least 1 Cool fluorescent bulb, at least 1 warm/daylight bulb. If you buy a T12 shoplight at least 40W (T8 would be a 32W bulb

-Seaglow

-Q-Tips, steel wool, old t-shirts to use as rags

I did a pair of Space Jams and a pair of Concords (no before pics of the Concords, sorry)

The pictures will show my setup. Clean off the soles before starting......apply seaglow, use the steel wool/pad that came with the seaglow to scrub the soles,Q-tips to get in-between the soles. Do this between seaglow applications. The lights are safe so no worries about fires, etc. My Spacejams were in terribleshape and needed a total of 100+ hours under the lights. If you attempt this and dont see any results at first.....be patient...I thought it was a waste untilI saw significant results on the 3rd day.....While its a lot of hours under lights, you dont have to worry about heat being produced by the lights....which inturn can cause sole separation

For the soles, you can use containers, rolled up t-shirts/rags underneath to prop them so that they are parallel to the floor

For the sides, fronts & rears you can use a variety of ways....just put some thought into it

Before of the Space Jams once again

After pics

No before pics...but my Concords were yellowed as bad as the Space Jams. Dont mind the way the Concords looked. This picture was taken after I seaglowedthem.....as I was starting the mesh cleaning with RIT

Originally Posted by HOOPERVILAA

So there is no way to whiten the ballistic mesh of the XIs??? i want to brighten up my white/red lows...

Barkeepers Friend tends to leave chalky residue and can discolor the mesh on XIs (concords, any of the lows, etc). You best bet is to purchase RIT ColorRemover &/or White Wash (you can find it in walmarts, targets, kmarts, usually where laundry detergent is kept. Here is a link if you arent familiar withRIT products

RIT: Fabric Treatments

Follow these steps and you should be fine
1. Mix half a pack of RIT with steaming hot water
2. Scrub the mesh with a toothbrush...be careful not to get any of it on the mesh. To play it safe....cover the patent leather with a rag or scrub about 1/4 aninch from the seam where the patent leather parts of the uppers begin.
3. Get some laundry detergent and make sure to scrub out all of the RIT...if you leave any your mesh will be left with residue/discolorations....should thathappen dont panic....just wet the mesh and scrub again until its all out.

*You might need to let the shoes dry and repeat several times before you see the desired results.
*If using the RIT White Wash.....your mesh may appear yellowed even after scrubbing it all out with detergent. Dont panic...as it dries it will turn white. Asstated if your not pleased with the results...just repeat...it took 4X before I got my desired results (2x with color remover, 2x with white wash)
*Be very careful not to get any on the patent leather...should this happen....immediately wipe it off with a wet rag.

Hope this helps!!

Originally Posted by andfattoo

Im not expert, but i think you may need to sand them if you already tried sneaker cleaner and magic eraser. From what i know Sea Glow only works and clears up clear soles..... anybody can correct me if im wrong.

Seaglow only works on some midsoles (they do wonders on 1 midsoles...I dont think you leave it on though....just use the seaglow as a cleaner)....I have 3pairs of playoff 12s....one an OG pair that is somewhat yellowed...I am going to try seaglow as a cleaner and post my results.

You should never sand a pair of kicks unless you plan on repainting them with angelus paint. If not, the shoes will just yellow a lot faster post-sanding. Dontattempt to sand midsoles with foam...they will yellow quick and crack quick as well.

Back
Top Bottom