:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Discussion in 'Jordan Brand' started by blazers21ntnp, Nov 13, 2007.

1. ohwtfitzsean

ohwtfitzsean

Thanks for the reply! I actually bought (cheap af) the shoe , and the issue is not actually bad, I think I can stick it back with some kind of glue or something. Pair was used once and just cracked according to the owner. DSCF8347.JPG

2. coach js

coach js

what's really the best shoe protector? I've never used any.
    should I use protector spray?
    or is it not really worth it

3. feelingood

feelingood

I have been ritually using Kiwi Suede Protector - for the past 12 years. I tried alot of different brands but truely feel this works the best. If its not suede, its not worth using a protector spray, btw.

coach js likes this.
  4. coach js

coach js

perfect response. thank you

feelingood likes this.
  5. B-Fresh

B-Fresh

What other Jordans are durabuck?

I want to avoid all of them.

Jordan 13 playoffs-
    I tried the dish wash soap and water and it cleaned it, but it's starting to yellow and I have a little bit of marks on them that won't go away.

I was to also re-dye the black suede, I know angelus black is low-key purple, I heard about jacquard dye might try that.
    What would you recommend for black dye?

I just noticed you have the Bordeaux's in your avi lol. I like that shoe and only wore it like 10 times and now the ****s are cracking.

6. feelingood

feelingood

If its black suede/durabuck, there is a spray/suede repair that works well. Just like all sprays, becareful and tape off. It was called suede renew or something like that. I used it on my Cough Drop Foams where the durabuck eyelids began losing color and turning grey. If I recall right it was Melotonin brand, and you gotta make sure to buy the black one. Its basically black dye that sprays on and dries. If the suede is unique colors, or lighter colors or if your doing a full restoration (i.e. strip the paint or the shoes are badly damaged) thats when you really need to use dye.

Luckily my avi bourdeuxs are still wearable and havent started cracking yet. As far as which Jordans are not durabuck.. Id say about 99% of suede looking Jordans are durabuck. Its rare that JB gives us suede but those varisity 6s, the most recent PSG 5s, travis scott 4s (although I havent seen a pair in hand to be sure), Fear 5s, Fear 4s, Stealth 3s, Graphite 14s . But issue with JB is that even if they give us suede, its always low quality. However some of the shoes I listed above are exceptions, you gotta just keep your eye open. I wouldnt avoid all Durabuck or Sythetic suede shoes, I would just plan to wear them and not store them.

Dishsoap, did you make sure to dilute it well with water? I usually use dishsoap for oil stains, and it works well - but due to them being different colors it can leave some color behind. Ill pour a tiny drop onto a towel, run it under warm water while scrubbing the towel onto itself until it becomes less soapy and more diluted. Take a pic and let me see, and how old is the shoe?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  7. B-Fresh

B-Fresh

Attached Files:

8. B-Fresh

B-Fresh

It's from 2011. How they look to you?

9. feelingood

feelingood

They look great. Not bad at all. Very well kept, kudos. To clean that yellowish part, try some oxiclean diluted in water.

If the foam/rubber midsole doesnt have texture, you can use a gum or suede eraser and they take it right off. But with 13's , the pod parts have bumps. So I wouldnt rub them against a gum eraser just to be safe.

B-Fresh likes this.
  10. B-Fresh

B-Fresh

Thanks man. Have you ever heard of jacquard dye tho?

And someone recommend to use salon care 40 on the pods, how do u feel about that?

I wasn't to try that more than the spray because with the spray I'll have to tape up the whole shoe and I worry that I'll spray on to other parts by mistake.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  11. Mr.Makaveli1978

Mr.Makaveli1978

I saw a guy on YouTube clean the soles of his Space Jams using a toothbrush with Oxyclean, dishwasher soap, and cold water. Seemed to work really good. I tried it on mine and got fairly good results.

12. B-Fresh

B-Fresh

Got that link?

13. Mr.Makaveli1978

Mr.Makaveli1978

Found it.

Gordonson and B-Fresh like this.
  14. feelingood

feelingood

o
    oxiclean.

do not use salon40 unless you know what your doing since it will eat away the glue on your shoe.

B-Fresh likes this.
  15. ...€n•wL8dG3

...€n•wL8dG3

i recently got a all patent leather shoe (jordan 4 hot punch). what best way to clean an maintain??

16. feelingood

feelingood

clean when it gets dirty. Dont worry about preventive. If patent leather gets scratched or scuff, use rubbing alcohol on a pad or something to clean it.

...€n•wL8dG3 likes this.
  17. imabkboy

imabkboy

For the pods on your 13s if you haven't already, try Mr. Clean magic eraser.
    Like @feelingood said if you try 40oz cream make sure you tape off so you dont get it anywhere else.
    Another way that i stumbled across is by using Barge cement. RaleighRestorations posted a while back that he cleared the bleeding on the grey/red 13s this way
    As far as the suede redye once i discovered Jacquard i wont use anything else. You can use the DyeNaFlow or Textile line

B-Fresh likes this.
  18. B-Fresh

B-Fresh

Will the magic eraser cause the pod bumbs to fade?

@feelingood said that gum and suede erasers will make it fade.

Imma get that jacquard dye as well.

I have pics on here of the shoes, from what u seen, how much do you think they need a re-dye?

19. imabkboy

imabkboy

No the magic eraser literally dissolves away as you use it, it wont damage the pods at all. I'd say you still have a lot of life left before you need a redye, but if you do make sure you get a suede brush to reset the nap

feelingood and B-Fresh like this.
  20. feelingood

feelingood

nah. Magic eraser should be safe. It pretty much falls apart on it own when you use.

Personally, Id try oxiclean first. If that dont work then try the magic eraser (just follow the instructions on the box if you never used magic eraser before and try not to rub it as hard as you can... Dont use it on any other surfaces or any midsole other than white since it can strip the paint if you rub too hard. Magic Eraser does have a sand paper type grit to it , but it is only noticeable on painted surfaces and/or if you rub it on the surface too aggresively.)

If its a tough stain or set in, I would leave it alone. It wont be anything anyone other than you would notice. Id say you did a fine job storing them. All shoes have minor imperfections or blemishes, so chaulk it up to that.

You dont need to redye anytime soon.. Id avoid painting unless if you HAVE to restore them. Its one of those last ditch resort type of things. No need in rebuilding or dissemble an engine if all it needs is a oil change/tune up.

Also I use to hear back in the day, people use to sware by using toothpaste to clean white midsoles. Never tried it.

Personally, I usually stick with a) rubbing gently with a gum or suede eraser - though on some finishes it can damage if you rub too hard. Ive only had two shoes that got damaged by this method, both being New Balances as NB uses some wierd dull film finisher on some midsoles and it rubs that right off and leaves a scuff mark. b)oxiclean or other soap based cleaners. If its food/oil your trying to clean, use dishwasher soap. If its grass, mud, or etc use oxiclean or laundry detergent (oxiclean is a whitener so its better on white midsoles).

No matter what you clean or what you use to clean, I have learned its always best to test a small area or if you have alot of shoes pick a beater pair that resembles it the closest and test it on that first.

There are midsole cleaners in a spray bottle that work well, but never found them necessary. But when you spray them, it has the consistency of shaving cream. If you dont have the heart or the mind to test methods (which invietably we all damage shoes this way - its a trial and error/ learning process), then use this and save the headache or possible heartache.

Im always here to help, so just lmk.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    B-Fresh likes this.
  21. amiina

amiina

Update to my space jams:

Before:
    IMG_20181127_110748.jpg
    After:
    IMG_20190130_150301__01__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20190130_150332__01.jpg

22. B-Fresh

B-Fresh

Got some oxiclean, I'm guessing you were talking about the powder version? I saw a spray too, how do you feel about that?

Also is the oxiclean for the whole shoe or just the midsole/pods and the sole?

23. B-Fresh

B-Fresh

24. feelingood

feelingood

The spray is easier. Whether its powder or spray or laundry detergent, dilute it in warm water. Use it for the midsole/pods.

If your soles are piss yellow, you can use saloncare40 . But as mentioned a few times already, you need to be careful as the stuff eats away the glue on the shoe.

Oxiclean may help. Or redying your soles light blue, is even safer and a better way.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    B-Fresh likes this.
  25. B-Fresh

B-Fresh

Is oxyclean safe to use on all soles of any brands?