OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

How we feeling about SQ with reports about Apple integrating contactless payments in its devices?

Hardware revenue was only 1% total revenue based on their 2020 annual report. But not sure if/how that would impact their revenue from subs and transactions.

What’s the counter to the overvaluation arguement when the entire world is pouring it’s money into stocks? Volume has to be at record highs since literally anyone can buy any stock within seconds on their phone.

Not sure what you're asking here but I think it was you that said a few pages ago that you're of the opinion that P/E ratio is overrated or a bad formula to use or something of that nature. I don't think you understand how this stuff works.

I'll tell you what a bad formula is though... price:sales. That formula is an absolute joke. A company can do 10 billion in revenue per year while spending 12 billion on expenses per year, but somehow the expenses don't count? We're not going to account for the fact that the company is losing 2 billion a year as long as they're bringing in 10 billion top line revenue each year? That's foolish. That's why DraftKings, FuboTV, etc. are eating *** right now, because those ludicrous valuation formulas are being exposed. You can't just sit here and assume that a company can afford to burn 2 billion a year because "one of these years it will stop burning money and start profiting." Oh yeah, what if it runs out of money before that year arrives?

It doesn't matter if anyone can buy stock within seconds on their phone, that's not necessarily a good thing, that's actually what contributed to the artificial skyrocketing of the market. Not sure how much you know about real estate but back in 2005 anybody could get a mortgage with a 620 credit score and ZERO downpayment. You could literally be unemployed and all you had to do was change your cell-phone voicemail greeting and say "you've reached ________'s janitorial services, please leave a message" and your loan broker would do the rest. Anyone could get a mortgage back then and volume was probably at record highs and.... look what happened.

I think it was JRS that said awhile back that these past couple years have been an anomaly and that going forward you're not just going to be able throw darts at a stock list and make money. Spot on. If you are experiencing heavy losses you may want to reconsider the names you're dedicated to. Alot of these companies are STILL insanely overvalued.

There was nothing deep about what he said. Anyone with the slightest knowledge about how the economy and stock market works could have told you that the stock market is blatantly overvalued. There's a reason the average annual return on the S&P is around 8%. STOCKS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DOUBLE OR TRIPLE IN ONE YEAR.

I understand that he contributes a lot to this thread but I'd be wary of listening to someone who said that the 10-year Treasury Yield "doesn't matter." :rofl: He may have said that you're not going to get the same returns moving forward but did he say that stocks are ridiculously overvalued and that they'll drop a ****-ton? From my memory, the names that he mentioned most as his picks were Square, Teladoc, Pinterest, Roku, Peloton. All these companies have dropped 60-80% and I haven't seen a post from him in this thread in a minute, albeit I don't check every page of this thread.

How we feeling about SQ with reports about Apple integrating contactless payments in its devices?

Hardware revenue was only 1% total revenue based on their 2020 annual report. But not sure if/how that would impact their revenue from subs and transactions.
starting to get worried about SQ's performance as well. Bought in at $145 and thought that was a good entry. looking like it will hit double digits by today :ohwell:

starting to get worried about SQ's performance as well. Bought in at $145 and thought that was a good entry. looking like it will hit double digits by today :ohwell:
If you started accumulating in the last year or two you probably paid a premium fueled by the crypto bullrun. Looking at their annual and quarterly reports show damn near half their total revenue comes from bitcoin.

The p/e is a metric to compare companies in the same sector, not necessarily to evaluate a single company
It's also a jumping off point - not the singular or best metric to decide to buy or sell.

But we all know that.

There was nothing deep about what he said. Anyone with the slightest knowledge about how the economy and stock market works could have told you that the stock market is blatantly overvalued. There's a reason the average annual return on the S&P is around 8%. STOCKS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DOUBLE OR TRIPLE IN ONE YEAR.

I understand that he contributes a lot to this thread but I'd be wary of listening to someone who said that the 10-year Treasury Yield "doesn't matter." :rofl: He may have said that you're not going to get the same returns moving forward but did he say that stocks are ridiculously overvalued and that they'll drop a ****-ton? From my memory, the names that he mentioned most as his picks were Square, Teladoc, Pinterest, Roku, Peloton. All these companies have dropped 60-80% and I haven't seen a post from him in this thread in a minute, albeit I don't check every page of this thread.

Never said it was deep. Just reiterating what seems to be lost on many folks in here relatively new to the markets.

Everything elese I agree with 100%. Probably a lot of folks lost big on those calls. Mans moved on to investing in jpegs apparently smh.

I think its important for people to take the time and effort to LEARN about the markets you're investing in both on a macro and micro level. Taking advice from people online is a loosing proposition in the long run

Ehhh. It was more so the people they wanted to keep got paid. I was very happy with my comp.

I thought you were wealth management?

My boy at GS is SICK he didn’t get the 515 bonus he did last year (and he is MD track so it sounds as if this was across the board) - this is why you come to PE BAYBEE

Back
Top Bottom