One Thing's For Sure, He Won't Steal Again...

I was actually the father figure in a couple children's lives--ages 1 and 3, until they were 3 and 5--and the common leap of logic is assuming every kid is like your kid. Your kid may be a complete angel that responds well to simply being told what is wrong and right. Some kids are much, much more consequence driven. In the not-so-rare-in-America case (1 in 25) that the person is a sociopath, they may use every trick in the book to do wrong and then also to escape punishment. I'm not questioning your parenting whatsoever, just trying to be devil's advocate to why a large, embarrassing scene might be just what a particular child needs to endure in order to know that they don't want to do whatever they did wrong ever again.

Originally Posted by RealRubirosa

I was actually the father figure in a couple children's lives--ages 1 and 3, until they were 3 and 5--and the common leap of logic is assuming every kid is like your kid. Your kid may be a complete angel that responds well to simply being told what is wrong and right. Some kids are much, much more consequence driven. In the not-so-rare-in-America case (1 in 25) that the person is a sociopath, they may use every trick in the book to do wrong and then also to escape punishment. I'm not questioning your parenting whatsoever, just trying to be devil's advocate to why a large, embarrassing scene might be just what a particular child needs to endure in order to know that they don't want to do whatever they did wrong ever again.
Ok rent a dad, why were you a father figure for only 4 and 2 years? A good father figure stays a father figure, they don't stop, ESPECIALLY when the kids are so young. What could they have possibly learned from you? (thank god nothing)...Maybe you should stop trying to prove your foolish point. 

That's the parent's job to deal with punishing the kid. I'll be dambed if I let strangers beat my kid up. 
30t6p3b.gif

I can't even keep count of how many times I've heard childhood recollections like, "my mom whooped me when I _____, and I'm glad she did because I never did it again." This was just a more dramatic case of using a child's embarrassment as the whooping. The physicality of the punishment on the video was moderate at most. If they were over there Liu Kang'ing the kid, that would be one thing... But they weren't.

I can't even keep count of how many times I've heard childhood recollections like, "my mom whooped me when I _____, and I'm glad she did because I never did it again." This was just a more dramatic case of using a child's embarrassment as the whooping. The physicality of the punishment on the video was moderate at most. If they were over there Liu Kang'ing the kid, that would be one thing... But they weren't.
It's the fact that the dad is sitting by as strangers whoop his kid's a$s. Kids look to their parents as protectors. It's one thing when your family members or people established as an authority figure in your life whoop you, it's a whole other thing when a group of randoms humiliate you publicly like that. 

that's pretty uffed up, smh.

oh and for the dudes talkin bout puttin hands on the dude f they saw it going down.

no u wouldnt, you would take your mobile take video and upload to wshh.

trust me famb, i know your types

I tried watching this yesterday, but I stopped after 2 minutes and refuse to watch the rest.

He's a little kid, and they are grown men. That's really gonna %@%+ with him, all of them crowded around him like that taking turns beating him. That's just not cool, I dont care what he did. He doesn't even look like he's over 10, and a group of adults felt it was okay to do that to him
frown.gif

Originally Posted by thytkerjobs

It's the fact that the dad is sitting by as strangers whoop his kid's a$s. Kids look to their parents as protectors. It's one thing when your family members or people established as an authority figure in your life whoop you, it's a whole other thing when a group of randoms humiliate you publicly like that. 
THIS

No one stepped into to help or anything.  People were even laughing at him.

I again don't understand how you can make a giant assumption by that video that the kid steals all the time and that this could be helpful for him.  That's like me assuming that this kid will be so scared from this that he will grow up and be the next Kim Jong Ill or next Hitler and hate humans and do everything in his power for the rest of his life to make other suffer just as he did.  There are extremes on both sides of the spectrum.  Neither is likely.

Disagree. Do we know they're random people? They may be the shopkeepers. They may be his community--parental figures in themselves.

That's ridiculous. Wailing on a defenseless kid when he's clearly outnumbered and on the ground... yeah that makes you very tough and cool, kicking a kid in the head when you're in a crowd so you can feel better
30t6p3b.gif

And who kicks kids in the head anyways? That last video with the 4 on 2 jumping where the guy got kicked in the head knocked him out cold

Disagree. Do we know they're random people? They may be the shopkeepers. They may be his community--parental figures in themselves.

I highly doubt that. So a close member of his community filmed this and released it to the world for lulz and further humiliation of the kid?

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

...I'm all for whoopin', but nobody outside of my family is putting their hands on my child.

This.

I dont know what the kid stole, but I genuinely felt bad for him.  Those cries and that look of desperation on his face didn't let me finish watching the vid.

I highly doubt that. So a close member of his community filmed this and released it to the world for lulz and further humiliation of the kid?

A large element of child discipline is embarrassment. This is evident in the humiliating event of having an accident/soiling pants, getting questions wrong when called upon in class, being seen as the cry baby for throwing tantrums, etc. And even continues on to the social implications people face when they're arrested I public. Denying the utility of embarrassment in discipline is foolish. My interpretation of the video is that they must be people that the father trusted if he allowed them to this. They also must be people who don't hate the child because they weren't hitting him with nearly any force. I'd be likely to guess they may be older siblings/family or people the child may look up to in the community. That, or they may be the shopkeepers--who also obviously weren't punishing the kid terribly physically. Having the actual shopkeeper punish the child could be sound if you use the principle of associated discipline. That is, the same theory that says that a late punishment is a useless punishment--because the child won't know what action yielded the punishment.

Originally Posted by SEND ONE

...I'm all for whoopin', but nobody outside of my family is putting their hands on my child.

This.

I dont know what the kid stole, but I genuinely felt bad for him.  Those cries and that look of desperation on his face didn't let me finish watching the vid.

Seriously? Kids cry like that when they don't get to go to the park or get the cartoony cereal at the grocery store. He looked to be crying mostly out of embarrassment--which he arguably deserves--and not out of fear or pain. His dad was likely nearby and they weren't hitting him with any force whatsoever.I have witnessed a woman pull over her car and whoop her child with a belt. THAT was too much, and we actually did butt in and scold the mother into stopping.

I get what RealRubirosa is saying. I got my #+% whooped as a kid, like my mom broke a table on me, then she didn't have anything else to hit me with so she went out and cut a limb of a tree off even after it just finished raining type of #+% whoop. Much appreciated though.

In Asia (more specifically in this case, China) members of the community like to take matters of theft and other wrong doings in their own hands by beating the crap out of a thief and making sure he/she doesn't do it again. This is because the police are very inefficient in China and by the time an officer does something the thief is already halfway through the city munching on some fried dumplings.

Yeah it was a little harsh since the kid was so young, but makes sense to me.

A large element of child discipline is embarrassment. This is evident in the humiliating event of having an accident/soiling pants, getting questions wrong when called upon in class, being seen as the cry baby for throwing tantrums, etc. And even continues on to the social implications people face when they're arrested I public. Denying the utility of embarrassment in discipline is foolish. My interpretation of the video is that they must be people that the father trusted if he allowed them to this. They also must be people who don't hate the child because they weren't hitting him with nearly any force. I'd be likely to guess they may be older siblings/family or people the child may look up to in the community. That, or they may be the shopkeepers--who also obviously weren't punishing the kid terribly physically. Having the actual shopkeeper punish the child could be sound if you use the principle of associated discipline. That is, the same theory that says that a late punishment is a useless punishment--because the child won't know what action yielded the punishment.
Hey, if you're cool with shopkeepers beating your kid, then leaking video to the world to ensure that an appropriate level of embarrassment was reached, more power to you.

You obviously divorce logic from your thoughts.

NT makes me worry about the next generation in our society. Thankfully, most of NT is NS.

Originally Posted by SEND ONE

This.

Seriously? Kids cry like that when they don't get to go to the park or get the cartoony cereal at the grocery store. He looked to be crying mostly out of embarrassment--which he arguably deserves--and not out of fear or pain. His dad was likely nearby and they weren't hitting him with any force whatsoever.I have witnessed a woman pull over her car and whoop her child with a belt. THAT was too much, and we actually did butt in and scold the mother into stopping.
Really?  I've never seen a kid cry like that over something as minuscule as you said.  Embarrassment? Nah, look at his face he looks scared for his life. 

A mother whoopin her own child is not as bad as a group of strangers kicking and dragging a child in the streets.

Back
Top Bottom