One Thing's For Sure, He Won't Steal Again...

Originally Posted by SEND ONE

Originally Posted by RealRubirosa

Originally Posted by SEND ONE

This.

I dont know what the kid stole, but I genuinely felt bad for him.  Those cries and that look of desperation on his face didn't let me finish watching the vid.

Seriously? Kids cry like that when they don't get to go to the park or get the cartoony cereal at the grocery store. He looked to be crying mostly out of embarrassment--which he arguably deserves--and not out of fear or pain. His dad was likely nearby and they weren't hitting him with any force whatsoever.I have witnessed a woman pull over her car and whoop her child with a belt. THAT was too much, and we actually did butt in and scold the mother into stopping.
Really?  I've never seen a kid cry like that over something as minuscule as you said.  Embarrassment? Nah, look at his face he looks scared for his life. 

A mother whoopin her own child is not as bad as a group of strangers kicking and dragging a child in the streets.

Have you ever raised kids? Have you ever worked or volunteered at a day care or other place surrounding my young children? Pretty much, have you ever done anything that involved being an authority figure among young children for and extended period of time? Whining like that over minuscule stuff like that is no irregular at all.

Have you ever raised kids? Have you ever worked or volunteered at a day care or other place surrounding my young children? Pretty much, have you ever done anything that involved being an authority figure among young children for and extended period of time? Whining like that over minuscule stuff like that is no irregular at all.

Whining over small stuff? Yes.  What that child was doing was far from whining.  Look at the fear in his face.

Disciplining your own child is one thing,  others doing it for you, I'm against. 

Since you asked,  I've been a father for over 17 years now.

Originally Posted by joeykadesh

I was actually the father figure in a couple children's lives--ages 1 and 3, until they were 3 and 5--and the common leap of logic is assuming every kid is like your kid. Your kid may be a complete angel that responds well to simply being told what is wrong and right. Some kids are much, much more consequence driven. In the not-so-rare-in-America case (1 in 25) that the person is a sociopath, they may use every trick in the book to do wrong and then also to escape punishment. I'm not questioning your parenting whatsoever, just trying to be devil's advocate to why a large, embarrassing scene might be just what a particular child needs to endure in order to know that they don't want to do whatever they did wrong ever again.
Ok rent a dad, why were you a father figure for only 4 and 2 years? A good father figure stays a father figure, they don't stop, ESPECIALLY when the kids are so young. What could they have possibly learned from you? (thank god nothing)...Maybe you should stop trying to prove your foolish point. 

Called that bamma "rent-a-dad"

*DEAD*

My-T.

It was a step-father type role, genius. I've also volunteered at about half a dozen different day cares and have younger cousins. And if you had any knowledge about children at all, you would know that they are most impressionable at young ages. You obviously don't know much on the subject which is too bad since you are obviously more outspoken than your intelligence should warrant. You'd be surprised how much they can learn from not having some sort of terrycloth, pushover male influence in their life.

It was a step-father type role, genius. I've also volunteered at about half a dozen different day cares and have younger cousins. And if you had any knowledge about children at all, you would know that they are most impressionable at young ages. You obviously don't know much on the subject which is too bad since you are obviously more outspoken than your intelligence should warrant. You'd be surprised how much they can learn from not having some sort of terrycloth, pushover male influence in their life.

Yes they are impressionable at young ages, genius but once you stop being their "father figure" at a young age how much reinforcement did they really achieve by that? Its funny you say I am outspoken than my intelligence should warrant, you described yourself to a T with that statement. You try to hard to look intelligent but you are failing miserably at it, rent a dad.  

Once again, the extent to which NT can maintain an even somewhat-intelligent, or at least mature, conversation or debate has underwhelmed me. At least the race card wasn't tossed around as explicitly this time.

I know what you meant the first time you said it, smart guy. I'm a father, a full time one, which means I'm there for the times when my child does good things AND when I have to discipline her. There aren't any days off for me. I don't volunteer at day care and take my nephews home at the end of the day or the week. I'm a dad 24/7, 365. So before you make assumptions about something that YOU don't know about, perhaps you should just step back and be able to take a joke from time to time.

You base my intelligence off of a statement in which I found funny, which says a lot about your character and ability to be as you so eloquently put it, "terrycloth."

I wipe my hands of this.

My-T.

Originally Posted by wHo NicE as HiM

mad.gif
 they stepped on little man's hand and crushed it @ 0:53 ...*#%$ em all! 
i WISH i was there..i would've been shot and killed

that's wrong! i literally feel for that kid right now!!!

i'm out man, @#+% like that sickens me 
mad.gif
You wouldn't have done *%*+ man
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MyTsharp

I know what you meant the first time you said it, smart guy. I'm a father, a full time one, which means I'm there for the times when my child does good things AND when I have to discipline her. There aren't any days off for me. I don't volunteer at day care and take my nephews home at the end of the day or the week. I'm a dad 24/7, 365. So before you make assumptions about something that YOU don't know about, perhaps you should just step back and be able to take a joke from time to time.

You base my intelligence off of a statement in which I found funny, which says a lot about your character and ability to be as you so eloquently put it, "terrycloth."

I wipe my hands of this.

My-T.
QFMFT
But seriously, they're animals

Once again, the extent to which NT can maintain an even somewhat-intelligent, or at least mature, conversation or debate has underwhelmed me. At least the race card wasn't tossed around as explicitly this time.
I have failed to see a single intelligent thought from you so far in this thread. Spouting off rubbish like you're some kind of an academic in chid psychology, thinking that your "logic" is flawless & that we're all idiots for not understanding your view.

I don't care what the cultural background is or what school of discipline you believe in -anyone with even an ounce of decency in them knows that a group of grown men kicking a defenseless child in the head and laughing about it is plain wrong!

Let's just throw the kid into the street & beat him ...seriously? ...you can't think of a more intelligent, effective & humanitarian way to discipline children?

One of the biggest things in Chinese culture is 'face'. It's the outward projection of oneself; your representation of yourself and your family. Losing 'face' is dishonorable. Getting caught stealing definitely falls under losing 'face'. It is NOT uncommon for someone to be ridiculed publicly because they did something to bring shame to their family. You won't see this as much in major cities where there are stronger Western influences but this, again, doesn't surprise me at all.

A lot of you are viewing this from a Western perspective so I can see why so many of you are outraged.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Originally Posted by buggz05

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

I disagree with the discipline method but at the same time I understand it. A lot of you guys are speaking from the experience of growing up here in the US where discipline is basically nonexistent; where discipline is being "grounded" and maybe not getting the car for a week. It might be extreme but chances are this experience is going to live with the kid and I doubt he'll steal again. I might not agree with it but I can understand it. To me, it's just a difference in cultures. This particular video is an extreme and not the norm. Although the norm, getting hit with sandals, feather dusters, whatever one might be able to find, might come off as extreme to you guys too.

But the scream of a child is pretty *+$*+$* universal. There is a reason nature has evolved our children and babies to scream a certain way, its because the children are the future, and you need to know when to protect them. That what you heard in that video, is literally the scream of a life time. And I'm not disagreeing with your or anything, but that scream makes me want to break everyone of those dudes hands, arms and legs... so that THEY will learn, and they can be shameful. %#+% has me tight man..
30t6p3b.gif

Yeah, it sucks. Kid shouldn't have stole. He found out the hard way. Maybe I'm numb to it because growing up, I was disciplined by my parents. Nothing crazy like the video but I've definitely gotten the feather duster treatment. So has my brother and male cousins. None of us are "scarred" and, honestly, I appreciate what my parents did. It's not like they "liked" doing that stuff but they felt it necessary. So yeah, his screams didn't move me the same way it moved you probably. Not that I didn't feel bad for him but when I was watching the vid, I was thinking "yeah, he'll never pull that again..." I know I sound callous and jaded. I think it's only shocking to us here in the US because you'll never see that kind of stuff, although overt sexuality and violence (not towards children) and drug and alcohol abuse are permissible in most parts of our culture. Funny how perspective works doesn't it?
I'm just saying, it's a difference in cultures.
No I've had my punishments, belt buckles, cups, and sandals all to the face... having to hold my roller blades parallel to the ground for an hour, not being able to play or watch basketball for a full year. I was practically tortured as a kid. None of this compares to what I saw in that video, being tormented by strangers as your closest of existence is MIA. I couldn't even watch all of it..
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by FIREPOWER23

I have failed to see a single intelligent thought from you so far in this thread. Spouting off rubbish like you're some kind of an academic in chid psychology, thinking that your "logic" is flawless & that we're all idiots for not understanding your view.

Word...
...dude watched an episode of "Home Improvement" and now he's Dr. Phil. 
laugh.gif

I wouldnt have done that in the street like that. But honestly, im half filipino and my moms, grandma, auntys and uncles used to discipline me in similar ways. Im not saying its right and I will never do things like this to my son. But realistically the kids life was never in danger or anything. But, like someone else said, most americans arent used to discipline like asian cultures are.

Carry on.

The Chinese that do this to a little boy are a disgrace to humanity. The father should be shot for being a coward and not discipling him himself. Cotdamn animals 
30t6p3b.gif
mad.gif

The people in the vid speak in a Mandarin dialect that I have problems understanding, but from what I could understand, the kid got caught stealing. The guy doing the beating said he'd beat him to death. The old lady and the old men weren't really laughing, they felt bad for the kid. The old lady said "poor kid", the old man said "he had no choice".

This might be a homeless street kid. There's no homeless shelters or food banks for the homeless in China like there are in North America. People generally don't treat the homeless that well either. When I went to Beijing in 2002, I was at a food court in a mall and saw these two homeless guys (early 20s) that were waiting for people to finish eating and they would try to finish whatever is left over, what's even sadder is that the workers of the mall were quickly trying to remove the plates/boxes before the homeless guys could get to them. Even when the homeless guys got to a plate, the workers would take it away from them before they had a chance to finish eating. I hope that puts into perspective the position of each of the persons involved in the video - the kid was most likely trying to survive, the person doing the beat down had no respect for the kid. However, I don't think a public beating is common in China, perhaps this kid stole from the man in the video numerous times before getting caught and the man took out all his frustrations.

Originally Posted by FIREPOWER23

I don't care what the cultural background is or what school of discipline you believe in -anyone with even an ounce of decency in them knows that a group of grown men kicking a defenseless child in the head and laughing about it is plain wrong!

Let's just throw the kid into the street & beat him ...seriously? ...you can't think of a more intelligent, effective & humanitarian way to discipline children?

This.  Goddamn when I was like 12 I had to do 60 hours of community service.  60 hours of cleaning up highways and public parks restrooms and I was DONE behaving like an +!$*#%*.  Plenty of other ways to discipline children. Go ahead and do that to a grown $!% man who gets caught stealing, but a child who's barely 10 and probably doesn't really understand the significance of theft, just wrong.

Originally Posted by yeahitsRUST

I wouldnt have done that in the street like that. But honestly, im half filipino and my moms, grandma, auntys and uncles used to discipline me in similar ways. Im not saying its right and I will never do things like this to my son. But realistically the kids life was never in danger or anything. But, like someone else said, most americans arent used to discipline like asian cultures are.

Carry on.

Yeah, I'm Black and I caught it the same...
...the worst was bein' with my family in Houston and gettin' in trouble
30t6p3b.gif
- son I had 11 aunts and uncles - that %%#% used to be open season on my %*@. 
roll.gif
roll.gif

But that was family though - they were doin' it to keep me outta jail, and it worked...

...the folks in the video were beatin' lil man for revenge.

Originally Posted by wHo NicE as HiM

mad.gif
 they stepped on little man's hand and crushed it @ 0:53 ...*#%$ em all! 
i WISH i was there..i would've been shot and killed

that's wrong! i literally feel for that kid right now!!!

i'm out man, @#+% like that sickens me 
mad.gif

i wish we were there together.. we would have went down like champs
tired.gif
.. plus double the chances of killing the WHOLE CROWD.. but seriously, i was deeply upset when i first seen this clip.. Now i understand how " HATE " feels.

Originally Posted by mkc1983

The people in the vid speak in a Mandarin dialect that I have problems understanding, but from what I could understand, the kid got caught stealing. The guy doing the beating said he'd beat him to death. The old lady and the old men weren't really laughing, they felt bad for the kid. The old lady said "poor kid", the old man said "he had no choice".

This might be a homeless street kid. There's no homeless shelters or food banks for the homeless in China like there are in North America. People generally don't treat the homeless that well either. When I went to Beijing in 2002, I was at a food court in a mall and saw these two homeless guys (early 20s) that were waiting for people to finish eating and they would try to finish whatever is left over, what's even sadder is that the workers of the mall were quickly trying to remove the plates/boxes before the homeless guys could get to them. Even when the homeless guys got to a plate, the workers would take it away from them before they had a chance to finish eating. I hope that puts into perspective the position of each of the persons involved in the video - the kid was most likely trying to survive, the person doing the beat down had no respect for the kid. However, I don't think a public beating is common in China, perhaps this kid stole from the man in the video numerous times before getting caught and the man took out all his frustrations.
eek.gif

My man came through with the subtitles... 
laugh.gif

...good lookin'.

Back
Top Bottom