PILIPINOS! Know your history.

Black guy here who has been to the Philippines. Crooked %!+ government, but the people are beautiful and nice. If I'm not mistaken y'all have a Polynesian/Micronesian, Asian, Spanish, and even some American genetic backgrounds.

Black guy here who has been to the Philippines. Crooked %!+ government, but the people are beautiful and nice. If I'm not mistaken y'all have a Polynesian/Micronesian, Asian, Spanish, and even some American genetic backgrounds.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

Yessir. Quite multicultural in origin. Most Filipinos are mostly of Malay descent, mixed in with other features around the region (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Indian, etc.), as well as Spanish, American (caucasian, basically) and some African-American.

Yessir. Quite multicultural in origin. Most Filipinos are mostly of Malay descent, mixed in with other features around the region (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Indian, etc.), as well as Spanish, American (caucasian, basically) and some African-American.

Originally Posted by RLAK824

Is there a large or small Negritos population still there ?

There still is a small population of Negritos/Aeta in the country; mostly located in the provinces north of Metro Manila. Government and NGOs try to give them (and other indigenous people) a helping hand through various programs to help them develop a livelihood/sustainable means of survival. Not sure if they can vote, though. They should.

Originally Posted by RLAK824

Is there a large or small Negritos population still there ?

There still is a small population of Negritos/Aeta in the country; mostly located in the provinces north of Metro Manila. Government and NGOs try to give them (and other indigenous people) a helping hand through various programs to help them develop a livelihood/sustainable means of survival. Not sure if they can vote, though. They should.

QFT x 100
my grandmother is filipino and portugese and from manila.... 

the people are racist out there too. you must have missed it somehow.

the place is hella nice. Ill never go back.

QFT x 100

Originally Posted by likethematrix

QFT x 100

Nah my fellow NT'er. Actually y'all treated me very well during my visit. Y'all are a beautiful and kind people. Racism is everywhere, but it's mostly based off of stereotypes...so when you present yourself as a person/human, and not reinforce the negative stereotypes then people usually treat you with respect. Not only that, I was buying up bread and fruit and giving it to the homeless kids and families that I saw in the streets. It was an honor for me to do that. Now had I been acting ignorant, not respecting people in their own homeland, and being loud and obnoxious then I would have reinforced what they think they know about blacks...and then racism would have been perpetuated.

Long story short, I have a special place in my heart for Filipino people, y'all took care of me while I was there, and opened my eyes up to a lot of what is really going on in this world.

Originally Posted by likethematrix

QFT x 100

Nah my fellow NT'er. Actually y'all treated me very well during my visit. Y'all are a beautiful and kind people. Racism is everywhere, but it's mostly based off of stereotypes...so when you present yourself as a person/human, and not reinforce the negative stereotypes then people usually treat you with respect. Not only that, I was buying up bread and fruit and giving it to the homeless kids and families that I saw in the streets. It was an honor for me to do that. Now had I been acting ignorant, not respecting people in their own homeland, and being loud and obnoxious then I would have reinforced what they think they know about blacks...and then racism would have been perpetuated.

Long story short, I have a special place in my heart for Filipino people, y'all took care of me while I was there, and opened my eyes up to a lot of what is really going on in this world.

Here's an interesting little opinion about Filipinos Bastitch on NT had a while back that really struck me, so I saved it.

As a Filipino, I find that a lot of Filipinos identify with Pacific Islander CULTURE moreso than the cultures we understand as South East Asian.  If you look at traditional (read: non-European influenced) Filipino dances, culture, diet, it is very much in-line with what most consider Pacific Islander rather than South East Asian. 

And let’s face it: being considered “Asian

Here's an interesting little opinion about Filipinos Bastitch on NT had a while back that really struck me, so I saved it.

As a Filipino, I find that a lot of Filipinos identify with Pacific Islander CULTURE moreso than the cultures we understand as South East Asian.  If you look at traditional (read: non-European influenced) Filipino dances, culture, diet, it is very much in-line with what most consider Pacific Islander rather than South East Asian. 

And let’s face it: being considered “Asian

^ and that's why you get Crux insisting we're Pacific Islanders.
laugh.gif

What ElderWatsonDiggs says is right. Stereotypes are everywhere, but it's still YOUR choice to either live up to it or to go against it. Naturally all cultures have good and bad sides; and, just like the news, people tend to look more on the bad stuff. People generalize and label other people too much in this world. Thus, leading to a lot of ignorance and snap judgments.
30t6p3b.gif

^ and that's why you get Crux insisting we're Pacific Islanders.
laugh.gif

What ElderWatsonDiggs says is right. Stereotypes are everywhere, but it's still YOUR choice to either live up to it or to go against it. Naturally all cultures have good and bad sides; and, just like the news, people tend to look more on the bad stuff. People generalize and label other people too much in this world. Thus, leading to a lot of ignorance and snap judgments.
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom