PILIPINOS! Know your history.

Originally Posted by onlyXVbutHAVEallXIX

Im here in the Philippines right now, coming from Los Angeles.
It really puts things in perspective when you see the living conditions some Filipinos live in, it bums me out sometimes.

But the strange thing is, most people here couldnt be happier.

They seem to just live life, and the priority here is family.

It makes me think most people in America are out for the money, and thats it.

And everyone just seems so polite, no one is in a rush, things are more laid-back.

This is true for the big city AND the country-side, I landed in Manila and now Im in Tagaytay and the Filipino persona hasnt changed one bit.

In my week and a half of being here, I cant say Ive experienced every facet of Filipino life, but I can pretty much say I love it here.

Not somewhere Id consider retiring to or anything (like my parents), but I definitely wanna come back.

On a sidenote, I started a Tumblr to show my family back in America the photos Ive taken so check it out if youre Filipino or into photography.

"Nifty-Fifty" in the Philippines"

Family > all here, definitely. Nice photos. Must be a bit chilly up there/down south in Tagaytay now. It's raining a bit again back here in Manila.

Nice pics nifty-fifty.

By Negritos are you guys referring those indigenous to Australia and new guinea?

Nice pics nifty-fifty.

By Negritos are you guys referring those indigenous to Australia and new guinea?

Yup. The Negrito/Aeta. Lots of other indigenous people in the country, but they were one of the first.

Yup. The Negrito/Aeta. Lots of other indigenous people in the country, but they were one of the first.

question.... okay so there are mixed people in the phillipines (and before this thread i considered it purely an 'asian' country in terms of how so slick quoted bastitch)........ so is there a separation between indigenous (non european or non-foreigners) and those who embrace spanish 'colonization' and/or outside blood relation?  

i ask this because when i visited Guatemala a few years back it was obvious the indigenous people of Mayan descent were sort of outcast (some though, not all) and seen as dirty people.  The mestizos (mixed people) im sure wanted no part of that indigenous part of their blood and probably never wanted to learn a Mayan language....

me? i was born in Guatemala but my family moved me here when i was two (Boston rasied baby
pimp.gif
)

i have ZERO desire to learn spanish (i actually abhor it) and unike alot of American hispanic people i notice (who like to stay in the shade) i sun bath as much as i can and love having as dark a brown skin as i can possibly have

i love it when hispanics try to speak spanish to me i hit em w/ the "
indifferent.gif
nah i dont speak that.  i really wanna learn Mayan tho.
happy.gif

they be all confused 
laugh.gif

i also want to learn Hebrew too

Bucket-lists FTW

question.... okay so there are mixed people in the phillipines (and before this thread i considered it purely an 'asian' country in terms of how so slick quoted bastitch)........ so is there a separation between indigenous (non european or non-foreigners) and those who embrace spanish 'colonization' and/or outside blood relation?  

i ask this because when i visited Guatemala a few years back it was obvious the indigenous people of Mayan descent were sort of outcast (some though, not all) and seen as dirty people.  The mestizos (mixed people) im sure wanted no part of that indigenous part of their blood and probably never wanted to learn a Mayan language....

me? i was born in Guatemala but my family moved me here when i was two (Boston rasied baby
pimp.gif
)

i have ZERO desire to learn spanish (i actually abhor it) and unike alot of American hispanic people i notice (who like to stay in the shade) i sun bath as much as i can and love having as dark a brown skin as i can possibly have

i love it when hispanics try to speak spanish to me i hit em w/ the "
indifferent.gif
nah i dont speak that.  i really wanna learn Mayan tho.
happy.gif

they be all confused 
laugh.gif

i also want to learn Hebrew too

Bucket-lists FTW

Originally Posted by hella handsome

Filipino food
pimp.gif

Filipina women
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I love you guys because, you're like... The black Asians
laugh.gif

I have a lot of Filipino friends, and the culture is definitely appreciated.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by hella handsome

Filipino food
pimp.gif

Filipina women
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I love you guys because, you're like... The black Asians
laugh.gif

I have a lot of Filipino friends, and the culture is definitely appreciated.
laugh.gif

I don't know if you can call it outcast, but people from the metropolitan areas rarely get exposed to indigenous people, outside of history class and some out-of-town trips to places where there are known groups of indigenous people may be located nearby, as well as an outlier of random beggars in city markets.

Most mixed people (and better-educated Filipinos) refer using English as a language to communicate with, especially at the work setting. Consequently, some of them have a little difficulty expressing themselves in Filipino, primarily because schools here prioritize more in developing the students' English language skills opposed to their Filipino language, since the latter can be learned (basically) in an informal setting. Filipino is still a required part of the curriculum, though. I honestly don't know how the Filipino language would survive otherwise. We, like every other culture, have people that take that aspect for granted/too lazy to care/are ignorant. So they don't really give importance to things that would help identify oneself as Filipino. They don't really care for the consequences of their actions -its impact on our culture and society. Add to that our government is whack, so it is hard to develop a sense of nationalism and pride as well.

I have to say that most people still find conversation in English out of the office/work setting out of the ordinary. People with proper diction get amused/surprised looks from others.
laugh.gif
I find most Filipinos not as verbose in expressing themselves in English vis-a-vis through Filipino, where they run out of English words to say. So be patient at times when conversing with locals, as they may need some time to process what they want to express.

Oh, and most middle class and the upper class are definitely westernized, in a sense that they look towards western content/follow the western lifestyle/trends. You see a lot of American TV shows broadcast here, as well as films and other media. Foreign content is somewhat overpowering local/homegrown content and the culture, too. People here, thus, aspire to live and be like people in the western world as a result.

So in a sense, you do lose the Filipino identity, like one NTer said, because of some of these factors.
ohwell.gif
But Filipino values still shine through in the people, fortunately.

Damn, didn't realize I typed that much text through my iPhone. Phew.
laugh.gif

I don't know if you can call it outcast, but people from the metropolitan areas rarely get exposed to indigenous people, outside of history class and some out-of-town trips to places where there are known groups of indigenous people may be located nearby, as well as an outlier of random beggars in city markets.

Most mixed people (and better-educated Filipinos) refer using English as a language to communicate with, especially at the work setting. Consequently, some of them have a little difficulty expressing themselves in Filipino, primarily because schools here prioritize more in developing the students' English language skills opposed to their Filipino language, since the latter can be learned (basically) in an informal setting. Filipino is still a required part of the curriculum, though. I honestly don't know how the Filipino language would survive otherwise. We, like every other culture, have people that take that aspect for granted/too lazy to care/are ignorant. So they don't really give importance to things that would help identify oneself as Filipino. They don't really care for the consequences of their actions -its impact on our culture and society. Add to that our government is whack, so it is hard to develop a sense of nationalism and pride as well.

I have to say that most people still find conversation in English out of the office/work setting out of the ordinary. People with proper diction get amused/surprised looks from others.
laugh.gif
I find most Filipinos not as verbose in expressing themselves in English vis-a-vis through Filipino, where they run out of English words to say. So be patient at times when conversing with locals, as they may need some time to process what they want to express.

Oh, and most middle class and the upper class are definitely westernized, in a sense that they look towards western content/follow the western lifestyle/trends. You see a lot of American TV shows broadcast here, as well as films and other media. Foreign content is somewhat overpowering local/homegrown content and the culture, too. People here, thus, aspire to live and be like people in the western world as a result.

So in a sense, you do lose the Filipino identity, like one NTer said, because of some of these factors.
ohwell.gif
But Filipino values still shine through in the people, fortunately.

laugh.gif

Talk about Westernized zk1, I had a chance to go to Club Wherelse at the Hotel Intercontinental in Makati City and let's just say it seemed like that night all the best looking hot and young Filipinos were there that night. Dance floor was packed and the music was pumping... then two days later I had to beat it out of the country due to a coup attempt that happened right down the street from where I was staying 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
. Like I said, beautiful people, crazy gov't.

My bad from veering off the main topic, just had some memories.
happy.gif

Talk about Westernized zk1, I had a chance to go to Club Wherelse at the Hotel Intercontinental in Makati City and let's just say it seemed like that night all the best looking hot and young Filipinos were there that night. Dance floor was packed and the music was pumping... then two days later I had to beat it out of the country due to a coup attempt that happened right down the street from where I was staying 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
. Like I said, beautiful people, crazy gov't.

My bad from veering off the main topic, just had some memories.
happy.gif

^ one of the guys in the coup is now a senator over here. Amazing.
laugh.gif
Politics is a *@#%ing mess over here.
indifferent.gif

Oh, and everyone's favorite boxing champ, Manny Pacquiao is a congressman. Go figure.
30t6p3b.gif

And you have movie actors who haven't really done jack while in office get the most number of votes during reelection. Disappointing.
ohwell.gif

i honestly believe anyone would be a shoo-in in politics here if you're popular enough, rich enough, or make the people scared of you (in some cases, some politicians are gangsta, with tons of bodyguards and they're strapped as well; you got ex-convicts getting elected as well). You just have to know how to read and write. Doesn't matter if you have a legal background or not. If the people like you, you're on your way.

^ one of the guys in the coup is now a senator over here. Amazing.
laugh.gif
Politics is a *@#%ing mess over here.
indifferent.gif

Oh, and everyone's favorite boxing champ, Manny Pacquiao is a congressman. Go figure.
30t6p3b.gif

And you have movie actors who haven't really done jack while in office get the most number of votes during reelection. Disappointing.
ohwell.gif

i honestly believe anyone would be a shoo-in in politics here if you're popular enough, rich enough, or make the people scared of you (in some cases, some politicians are gangsta, with tons of bodyguards and they're strapped as well; you got ex-convicts getting elected as well). You just have to know how to read and write. Doesn't matter if you have a legal background or not. If the people like you, you're on your way.

Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

laugh.gif

haha yeah this stuff is mad neat (i recently love that word 'neat'. it has so many connotations to me......interesting, geeked, clean, tidy, concise
pimp.gif
)
anyways, so filipino....as a language.....is it related in anyway to the language of the indigenous? if not does filipino have similar roots to chinese/japanese?

finally, does the indigenous peoples language Tagalog and Negrito and Aeta.....are they similar to each other?  What was their origin if you have any idea.

i could wikipedia the stuff but why do that when i can asks a local/locals 
pimp.gif

and tagalog being similar to Hebrew (as brought up by OP)sounds VERY interesting....oh my fault....neat. 

laugh.gif

haha yeah this stuff is mad neat (i recently love that word 'neat'. it has so many connotations to me......interesting, geeked, clean, tidy, concise
pimp.gif
)
anyways, so filipino....as a language.....is it related in anyway to the language of the indigenous? if not does filipino have similar roots to chinese/japanese?

finally, does the indigenous peoples language Tagalog and Negrito and Aeta.....are they similar to each other?  What was their origin if you have any idea.

pimp.gif

and tagalog being similar to Hebrew (as brought up by OP)sounds VERY interesting....oh my fault....neat. 

Originally Posted by AnnualPlusSome

laugh.gif

pimp.gif
)

pimp.gif

Tagalog=Filipino........mixture of austronesian/malay and spanish roots nowhere near chinese/japanese
the philippines has so many dialects if you go to another island you better know filipino so you can communicate...........theres even a dialect which is almost 85% spanish its called chavacano

Originally Posted by AnnualPlusSome

laugh.gif

pimp.gif
)

pimp.gif

Tagalog=Filipino........mixture of austronesian/malay and spanish roots nowhere near chinese/japanese
the philippines has so many dialects if you go to another island you better know filipino so you can communicate...........theres even a dialect which is almost 85% spanish its called chavacano

Our National Language, Filipino, is largely based on Tagalog, since it's the most widely spoken in here. It's what is taught in schools, so we have a means to understand each other. There are probably hundreds of dialects over here ages ago, with major dialects overlapping various geographic locations. Really complicated stuff. Thank God they got their stuff together.
laugh.gif
It still can get confusing here these days. Take a 40-minute flight out of Manila to the south or to the north, there's a different major dialect already. So confusing.
laugh.gif
The language and dialects here are a mix of indigenous and borrowed words from other cultures in the region and colonizers.

For me, born and raised in the city, I can speak English, Tagalog/Filipino, and a little Mandarin Chinese/Hokkien (Studied in a Protestant Filipino-Chinese Christian School, but I'm Catholic; need to brush up, though
laugh.gif
).

I'm pretty sure indigenous people learn how to speak Filipino apart from their own dialect -at least the younger generation, that is. People born and raised in the provinces are more inclined to speak their own dialect to express themselves better. I've got some friends from the province (Cebu, for example) who have a difficult time conversing in Tagalog/Filipino, yet speak flawless English. It's weird to me.
laugh.gif

Our National Language, Filipino, is largely based on Tagalog, since it's the most widely spoken in here. It's what is taught in schools, so we have a means to understand each other. There are probably hundreds of dialects over here ages ago, with major dialects overlapping various geographic locations. Really complicated stuff. Thank God they got their stuff together.
laugh.gif
It still can get confusing here these days. Take a 40-minute flight out of Manila to the south or to the north, there's a different major dialect already. So confusing.
laugh.gif
The language and dialects here are a mix of indigenous and borrowed words from other cultures in the region and colonizers.

For me, born and raised in the city, I can speak English, Tagalog/Filipino, and a little Mandarin Chinese/Hokkien (Studied in a Protestant Filipino-Chinese Christian School, but I'm Catholic; need to brush up, though
laugh.gif
).

I'm pretty sure indigenous people learn how to speak Filipino apart from their own dialect -at least the younger generation, that is. People born and raised in the provinces are more inclined to speak their own dialect to express themselves better. I've got some friends from the province (Cebu, for example) who have a difficult time conversing in Tagalog/Filipino, yet speak flawless English. It's weird to me.
laugh.gif

Oh, and you have hipsters trying to make up words, too. They're not helping.
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom