Pros & Cons Of The New NT Format

This input can be used by the admins to make this site better. Let's make a list so they can clearly see what we like and dislike.
Cons
-Way too much going on. NT now looks cluttered as hell and like a cheap amateur forum. I expected more from a forum over ten years old.
-Too many ads. Even though we had ads on the Yuku version, these ads on the right hand side further clutter the site. They are in our damn face, and make the site look aesthetically horrible.
-Site way too narrow.
-Remove the cheesy "marble" background and make it all black. It ads to the clutter.
-Fix join dates. It somewhat is a big deal. People who have been here for a long time should be able to distinguish themselves from people who just joined. It's like a badge of honor for people who have put in lots of time on NT.
-Again, less is more.
Pros
-Rep system, miltiquote, and polls.
-Off Yuku.
In the end, after being on NT ten years, I've extremely disappointed in this version. What happened to the sleek, minimalist look that we all came to love? Honestly, this doesn't feel like NT anymore. It looks like another *****d out message board with all these ads everywhere. To put it nicely, it's an eyesore.

wait the rep system isnt a con? lol you dudes cant be serious

gonna have the thirsty *** rep begging dudes everywhere like a whack popularity contest

-Remove the cheesy "marble" background and make it all black. It ads to the clutter.
Marble isn't really that noticeable, seems like the least of this site's current worries.

Since when did browsing a website merit a badge of honor? C'mon now.

INB4  "Join Date: Today"

Last edited:
I think Meth will address a lot of these issues.. but I think Yuku/SneakerTalk are doing some sneaky shh over there.. and he's probably dealing with that aspect of moving over to a new platform at the moment.

This has probably been mentioned a ton of times already, but there's too many topics/posts on a single page. Only problem I have with the new format.

this..needs to be what it was before

i also cant see any emoticons.. hope the smoking hat guy isnt gone for good :frown: it would really kill NT

I definately think the new layout is easier on your eyes with the addition of some shades of grey..Not digging the time it takes to load a page with the adds on the side..Overall I like the change..So far so good..

Pro's -

Quick reply has a full featured reply system with formatting capabilities

Multiquote

I like the new header of the website. The overall layout of things is great. I also enjoy this new layout as far as design goes.

I like how the user preferences is set up.

I like/find it funny how when you change the font size in your post it goes from minuscule to godzilla. That gave me a pretty good laugh.

Cons -

Rep system. I don't see the point in it. It will lead to bad things in the future. I see too many message boards ruined by it.

Ads. The ads are too much now. They take up space on the side of the first post in every thread. The old setup was better with the horizontal ads at the top under the header. It wasn't in the way.

Smilies need to be fixed.

That front page needs to go. The best thing about Niketalk was that it was just a message board. It was simple and effective. The new homepage looks like its trying too hard to be Hypebeast or Kicksonfire or something. We honestly don't need it. NT was the last of a dying breed as far as sneaker communities went. Everyone is doing the "blog" thing now. We need to keep it OG just like we always have. All of these sites began mimicking NT, it shouldn't be the other way around.

Last edited:
do i lose my post count if i change my user name? i do like that multi quote option

Last edited:
do i lose my post count if i change my user name? i do like that multi quote option
lol @ an emoticon 'killing' NT.
Pro's -
Multiquote
I like the new header of the website. The overall layout of things is great. I also enjoy this new layout as far as design goes.
I like/find it funny how when you change the font size in your post it goes from minuscule to godzilla. That gave me a pretty good laugh.
Cons -
Rep system. I don't see the point in it. It will lead to bad things in the future. I see too many message boards ruined by it.
Ads. The ads are too much now. They take up space on the side of the first post in every thread. The old setup was better with the horizontal ads at the top under the header. It wasn't in the way.
That front page needs to go. The best thing about Niketalk was that it was just a message board. It was simple and effective. The new homepage looks like its trying too hard to be Hypebeast or Kicksonfire or something. We honestly don't need it. NT was the last of a dying breed as far as sneaker communities went. Everyone is doing the "blog" thing now. We need to keep it OG just like we always have. All of these sites began mimicking NT, it shouldn't be the other way around.
i miss the old NT banner
the one from 2-3 years ago
I definately think the new layout is easier on your eyes with the addition of some shades of grey..Not digging the time it takes to load a page with the adds on the side..Overall I like the change..So far so good..
pros-everything
cons-it dont look right on my cell its VERY hard to navigate now on the droid
testing it now.. looks good

Pro's -
Multiquote
Cons -

YES. YES. YES.

I've always preferred NT simply because it was no frills. Yes, I enjoy some of the improvements of this new site, but the blog/wordpress/look-like-every-other-sneaker-website look of the home page is just unappealing. I know we're in the year 2012 and we need to catch up, but I think NT was onto something when it was simpler and "just about the shoes".

Personally, I can say with 95% certainty that I will never use the "Gallery", "Gear/Reviews" and "Articles" links on the homepage. I just see it as more clutter, and it honestly reminds me too much of I$$. Same goes for the scrolling banner thing. Waaaay too much input for a homepage, IMO. And even though all that input is regarding shoes, I still feel it takes away from the organic feel that NT used to have.

Honestly, it feels like the front page is trying to cater to the beasts by looking cool and svelte. It just seems like a little too much gloss for NT, but that's just me. I guess I liked logging in and getting right into why I came here in the first place--info about sneakers that could be easily accessed only on Niketalk forums.

I do like the added features that make using the forums easier though. The improvements were much needed and they are what I'll utilize the most, so even though I'm not 100% in love with the new look, I'll manage.

YES. YES. YES.
I've always preferred NT simply because it was no frills. Yes, I enjoy some of the improvements of this new site, but the blog/wordpress/look-like-every-other-sneaker-website look of the home page is just unappealing. I know we're in the year 2012 and we need to catch up, but I think NT was onto something when it was simpler and "just about the shoes".
Personally, I can say with 95% certainty that I will never use the "Gallery", "Gear/Reviews" and "Articles" links on the homepage. I just see it as more clutter, and it honestly reminds me too much of I$$. Same goes for the scrolling banner thing. Waaaay too much input for a homepage, IMO. And even though all that input is regarding shoes, I still feel it takes away from the organic feel that NT used to have.
Honestly, it feels like the front page is trying to cater to the beasts by looking cool and svelte. It just seems like a little too much gloss for NT, but that's just me. I guess I liked logging in and getting right into why I came here in the first place--info about sneakers that could be easily accessed only on Niketalk forums.
I do like the added features that make using the forums easier though. The improvements were much needed and they are what I'll utilize the most, so even though I'm not 100% in love with the new look, I'll manage.

I second this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ungrateful for the updated website, I just don't think there was anything wrong with the old one except that it was on Yuku.

- homepage
- sidebar ads taking up space
- more than half our fan base / members think sneaker talk is niketalk. He transition could have been handled better or better informed us. Now we have a rogue forum with board owners who may possibly own the content we created on NT due to some weird terms and conditions agreement. Then again, I'm not sure, but I won't be surprised. It will be a struggle to take them down legitimately, we can prob just troll it.

This site just seems to follow what every other shoe site is doing (iss). There is nothing original about NT anymore, it looks like just another sneaker board. Was that their mission? To build a similar layout as ISS?

Last edited:
Ultimately, it's whatever, but at the same time there's really no excuse to not be on vBulletin at this point, especially with such an established community.

Back
Top Bottom