Pros & Cons Of The New NT Format

Not feeling the homepage. I have the individual forums that I frequent bookmarked anyway so it doesn't even matter.

It certainly is different.  I do notice a speed increase though.  As with all change it takes a little while to get used to.. 

I'm sure after a week, we'll all get used to it.
Its just a lot to take in right away, but it looks promising.

All of these criticisms will fade away.
It's a stretch, but it'll be like how everyone complains about a new FB layout, then just forgets about it.

IMO there are more pros than cons to the new layout.
People who are complaining seem to be more motivated by nostalgia.

Has anyone figured out a way to have the threads you viewed greyed out, so you can keep track of what you have and haven't viewed.
This is the only real "con" I have for the new site.

The multiquote option is muy bueno. No more having to open multiple tabs to quote more than one person.
Yeah, this is my biggest "con" for me too... thus far anyway.

But overall, I'm not finding it to be that bad.  I'm using ad-block for Chrome, so no ads here.

As for the front page, you can get rid of that "carousel" in the options menu, but I'm just bookmarking http://niketalk.com/f/  to take me straight to the forum.

A few other tweaks in the options-menu made it a lot better... less clutter.  I widened-out the page, which I prefer.  I also used "Compact Thread List Page" so that I won't see the "Last post" on the threads-page... this cleans it up a bit.  I'm sure they'll fix the other stuff, like the emoticons.

With any change, there will always be a bit of an adjustment-period.  I'm sure it's a bit annoying now, but I think (hope) it'll be better in the long-run.  

Rep systems are so useless since there is no honor code. People will just create new accounts to boost their own reps. I am part of another forum where we have it and people have some wild reps for not even posting that much. I just hope people don't take it seriously cause you will get scammed with buy/sell stuff regardless of reps.

This input can be used by the admins to make this site better. Let's make a list so they can clearly see what we like and dislike.
Cons
-Way too much going on. NT now looks cluttered as hell and like a cheap amateur forum. I expected more from a forum over ten years old.
-Too many ads. Even though we had ads on the Yuku version, these ads on the right hand side further clutter the site. They are in our damn face, and make the site look aesthetically horrible.
-Site way too narrow.
-Remove the cheesy "marble" background and make it all black. It ads to the clutter.
-Fix join dates. It somewhat is a big deal. People who have been here for a long time should be able to distinguish themselves from people who just joined. It's like a badge of honor for people who have put in lots of time on NT.
-Again, less is more.
Pros
-Rep system, miltiquote, and polls.
-Off Yuku.
In the end, after being on NT ten years, I've extremely disappointed in this version. What happened to the sleek, minimalist look that we all came to love? Honestly, this doesn't feel like NT anymore. It looks like another *****d out message board with all these ads everywhere. To put it nicely, it's an eyesore.

- go to your profile> edit account details>scroll down to forum preferences> click "view forums full width"
- adblocker

I'll give this new place a month before I decide whether I like it or not. But as long as I don't get YUKU'd it should be ok. Just some getting used to.

I like everything about this new site.

I'm sure they're still working out the bugs so we just have to give it some time.

I hope they can make topics grey once you've clicked on them.

I like how the site looks and the homepage is whatever it's not like you're going to stay on it much anyway.

I download the adblock for Firefox so I don't see any of the ads.

I also set up my setting so everything looks like how the old NT did.

I'm used to this new site already and it's only going to get better from here on out... hopefully.

Most of the stuff that people are complaining about doesn't really affect the overall experience of NT... it's just little miniscule (sp) things.

Another thing is the ads on the side of the first couple of posts that people are complaining about...

If you don't have adblocker then how long will you be looking at the first 2-3 posts.

You read and then scroll down to see what else was said about the topic at hand.

No more blank yuku pages so that's definitely a plus.
pimp.gif

Last edited:
seems like Mods still don't know how to sticky certain threads.

and the pic sizing+hosting is kind of annoying, especially on some .gifs.

It's easy to get lost on this new one. The ads on the right side are killer. They take 1/3 of the width on the page, they should be narrower.

Love the menu options in the reply box though. I can get used to this update once I get over the ads and clutter

Edit: I lost 50 posts on the update, and I lost my avatar... Great.

Edit (2): I like how this site is 10000000000000000 times faster than it used to be.

Last edited:
I like the new site. With a few bugs being fixed. Such as join date, post count, grey highlight,sticky threads and thread history updated. These bug will be fix and this site will be fine. I think this site will get better in time.

I like the new site. With a few bugs being fixed. Such as join date, post count, grey highlight,sticky threads and thread history updated. These bug will be fix and this site will be fine. I think this site will get better in time.

Is the join date actually going to be fixed, though? From what I've been seeing, this is not something that will be fixed due to Yuku's refusal to release specific data

Back
Top Bottom