Question about Chinese food

nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

282qq9x.png

2ryj76h.png

Wonder if they make them stuffed with spinach
nerd.gif
The bun that the hand is reaching for is called a man tao. It's the most basic Chinese bun there is. There is nothing inside and it's usually eaten with porridge and other side dishes. To describe the taste... it's slightly sweet. It tastes exactly like how it looks if that makes any sense lol. I had that for breakfast everyday for a month this past summer while in China 
laugh.gif

The other buns in that basket seem to be pork buns and a variation of a Chinese flat bread/pancake.

282qq9x.png

2ryj76h.png

nerd.gif
The bun that the hand is reaching for is called a man tao. It's the most basic Chinese bun there is. There is nothing inside and it's usually eaten with porridge and other side dishes. To describe the taste... it's slightly sweet. It tastes exactly like how it looks if that makes any sense lol. I had that for breakfast everyday for a month this past summer while in China 
laugh.gif

The other buns in that basket seem to be pork buns and a variation of a Chinese flat bread/pancake.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

282qq9x.png

2ryj76h.png

nerd.gif
laugh.gif
^ That.

They wouldn't put anything in them, those are meant to be plain Mangudai. But if you ever buy those, open a can of sweetened condensed milk
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
!

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

282qq9x.png

2ryj76h.png

nerd.gif
laugh.gif
^ That.

They wouldn't put anything in them, those are meant to be plain Mangudai. But if you ever buy those, open a can of sweetened condensed milk
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
!

The bao in the 2nd post are most likely not bbq pork buns (cha siu bao).  Cha siu bao are usually white, have a fluffier bun-surface and can be eaten with your hands.
1247051047_d7ef4e497b.jpg

The bao in the 2nd post are probably some sort of "dumpling", but still are referred to as bao as well.  The contents inside are usually some sort of meat with veggies.

Boysnoize is spot-on with the man-tao description.  It's the most basic form of bao and you gotta remember, back then it was for the masses.  Not everyone could afford meat with their "bread".

The bao in the 2nd post are most likely not bbq pork buns (cha siu bao).  Cha siu bao are usually white, have a fluffier bun-surface and can be eaten with your hands.
1247051047_d7ef4e497b.jpg

The bao in the 2nd post are probably some sort of "dumpling", but still are referred to as bao as well.  The contents inside are usually some sort of meat with veggies.

Boysnoize is spot-on with the man-tao description.  It's the most basic form of bao and you gotta remember, back then it was for the masses.  Not everyone could afford meat with their "bread".

Condensed milk is amazing with man tao. I know some restaurants serve a fried variation of the man tao that goes even better with it.

Condensed milk is amazing with man tao. I know some restaurants serve a fried variation of the man tao that goes even better with it.

Yep, I personally prefer steamed man tao plain... the fried version is good with condensed milk.

Yep, I personally prefer steamed man tao plain... the fried version is good with condensed milk.

I'm pretty picky about my BBQ pork buns...If they got lots of fat from the pork, it's 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

I'm pretty picky about my BBQ pork buns...If they got lots of fat from the pork, it's 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Back
Top Bottom