Racially Insensitive: Yay Or Nay (Nivea Ad) - Discuss

Originally Posted by RavageBX

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

Feeling inferior? Never. Knowing I'm superior to what they try to portray me as? Always. And ftr I'm already farther in life than the vast majority of this board so you can miss me with that nonsense 
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
whatever u say, my man. 
AKA "please don't son me anymore."

Where did you "son" me? By telling me that Asians are pushovers? That we keep quiet about our stereotype? That we have no representation in the media? PLLLLLLEASE.  This is what I posted here in that China vs Hoyas basketball thread.

There's a reason why Asians are called the model minorities.  We do well in every single social and economical aspect, I could give a $!+! what our image is.  Just take a look at the educational attainment rate in the U.S... we have the highest rate of college graduates and post college grads.   Most of us earn a good living, have good jobs... we the highest median income of ALL races in the United States.  And we only make up like what... 5-6% of the US population? The media's always going to stereotype us and label us as weak, inferior and feminine... I could give two $*$!! about that.  I'm only gonna post stats and real life facts from my spectrum... 

cause I know if I post the statistics from the other spectrum a lot of E-feelings are going to be hurt... and these are REAL LIFE FACTS and STATS.

Again, where did you "son" me?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Jello B Afro

why bring asians into this in the first place?
Because they are the polar opposite when it comes to "playing the race card." It helps give perspective to the conversation.

Originally Posted by j4ck

@Ravage ... okay, i see your point. Doesn't dismiss the fact that the race card is overused and doesn't apply to half the things intended.

Of course it's overused. But that is a bi-product of America's ugly history, not African American's intention to stir isht up or complain as people like to make it seem.
Exactly. One thing I think though is people confusing "complaining" about racism with people who just raise awareness that it's there. So Iwould much rather be the
person who can correctly identify when racism is an issue, than be that bland nieve person who has the "What are you talking about?" look on their face when that
issue is brought up.  

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 whatever u say, my man.  
AKA "please don't son me anymore."

Where did you "son" me? By telling me that Asians are pushovers? That we keep quiet about our stereotype? That we have no representation in the media? PLLLLLLEASE.  This is what I posted here in that China vs Hoyas basketball thread.

There's a reason why Asians are called the model minorities.  We do well in every single social and economical aspect, I could give a $!+! what our image is.  Just take a look at the educational attainment rate in the U.S... we have the highest rate of college graduates and post college grads.   Most of us earn a good living, have good jobs... we the highest median income of ALL races in the United States.  And we only make up like what... 5-6% of the US population? The media's always going to stereotype us and label us as weak, inferior and feminine... I could give two $*$!! about that.  I'm only gonna post stats and real life facts from my spectrum...  

cause I know if I post the statistics from the other spectrum a lot of E-feelings are going to be hurt... and these are REAL LIFE FACTS and STATS.

Again, where did you "son" me? 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
What does any of that have to do with what you bolded? You inferred that I'm going to have trouble getting ahead in life, did you not? As if standing up for yourself or your people will inhibit personal progress. Well that couldn't be any farther from the truth as I always speak what I feel and I'm already WAY ahead of the curve. But after reading what you just posted I guess you truly believe that its ok to overlook how the media portrays you as long as you are successful
laugh.gif
Sad.

^ but then your whole life is revolving around race... and black people don't correctly identify racism all the time.

i love how black people act as if nobody knows what it feels like to be a minority and be victims of racism.

Reading your comment and then looking at your avy made me die out laughing in irony.

perspective huh?

seems you're just trying to play divide and conquer/political dice trying to make yourself look better or like you're the only one fighting for some cause. how noble. far from truth though

from what i can tell asians are doing pretty well for themselves and get plenty of respect in their neighborhood, work settings, etc and are looked at favourably by their peers. that's how one gets respect, not by simply demanding it

pretty sure most people who use asians as some sort of bargaining chip to make some oddball comparisons as is being done in this thread are parallel to the thoughts of those who tend to view them stereotypically as submissive

it's just a response to Tego Calderon El Abayarde

"I love how non black people act as if they know what it's like to be black better than black people themselves."

again... you're over analyzing

^ but then your whole life is revolving around race... and black people don't correctly identify racism all the time.
How would your life revolve around race...and where did i say that black people correctly identify racism all the time? When I wrote that, I wrote
it as i would rather be a person who can correctly identify it, meaning anybody.

I actually posted that 'irony' thing before I read any of your other comments, so no, I wasn't over analyzing, you just assumed
i was slighting you with that comment.

perspective huh?

seems you're just trying to play divide and conquer/political dice trying to make yourself look better or like you're the only one fighting for some cause. how noble. far from truth though

from what i can tell asians are doing pretty well for themselves and get plenty of respect in their neighborhood, work settings, etc and are looked at favourably by their peers. that's how one gets respect, not by simply demanding it

pretty sure most people who use asians as some sort of bargaining chip to make some oddball comparisons as is being done in this thread are parallel to the thoughts of those who tend to view them stereotypically as submissive
Are you Asian?

So tell me.
How should I go about correctly identifying racism in this particular situation?

Originally Posted by Moderate Gatsby

Originally Posted by RedMan

A lot of people are all up on arms about these ads.

laugh.gif
srs?

so these people "up in arms" about these ads are admitting that black people are seen as uncivilized?

isn't that more racist in of itself?

perspective huh?

Are you Asian?
The mass media lies.  STATISTICS DON'T.  We are controlled by the media and we don't even know it...  the mass media has such a small influence and impact on my life, it won't and hasn't affected my life at all.  How do you know we don't stand up for our people? There have been many protests for racial insensitivity in the Asian community, it just never makes the news.  You act as if black people are the only victims of racial insensitivity in the media... If we come together as people regardless of color and recognize that, the sooner progress will be achieved. 

@SupermanBlue my point is that you're life shouldn't revolve around race, but every time something is borderline racist, ya'll jump on that $*** to prove that being oppressed in the past is the worst *@@+ ever.

perspective huh?

Are you Asian?
The mass media lies.  STATISTICS DON'T.  We are controlled by the media and we don't even know it...  the mass media has such a small influence and impact on my life, it won't and hasn't affected my life at all.  How do you know we don't stand up for our people? There have been many protests for racial insensitivity in the Asian community, it just never makes the news.  You act as if black people are the only victims of racial insensitivity in the media... If we come together as people regardless of color and recognize that, the sooner progress will be achieved. 

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Can't we all just get along
frown.gif

perspective huh?

Are you Asian?
1. You're kidding yourself if you think mass media doesn't have an effect on your life. 
2. Why do you think it doesn't make the news? You might want to open your eyes fam. (And no that's not a slick racist jab).

Are you Asian?
1. You're kidding yourself if you think mass media doesn't have an effect on your life. 
2. Why do you think it doesn't make the news? You might want to open your eyes fam. (And no that's not a slick racist jab).
It doesn't.  I'm not the one who's all up in arms here from a NIVEA face moisturizer ad of all things
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
.  If you want to reform the media and it's opinions on minorities, go do something about it... don't sit just there and complain about it on NT. 

RavageBX, what exactly are you accomplishing in regards to the OP by bringing Asians into this discussion? We have absolutely nothing to do with this situation.
laugh.gif

Are you just bringing Asians under the bus because you realized that no one else really cares about these ads?

Lock this trash up.

Race threads on NT are pathetic.
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Moderate Gatsby

RavageBX, what exactly are you accomplishing in regards to the OP by bringing Asians into this discussion? We have absolutely nothing to do with this situation.
laugh.gif

Are you just bringing Asians under the bus because you realized that no one else really cares about these ads?

Lock this trash up.

Race threads on NT are pathetic.
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
All threads on NT lead to race-wars sooner or later...does that mean all threads on NT are pathetic? What are you trying to say?

I already gave my rationale. I'm not going to do it twice. Not surprising you don't even want to be involved in the overall discussion beyond just this one ad though.

@SupermanBlue my point is that you're life shouldn't revolve around race, but every time something is borderline racist, ya'll jump on that $*** to prove that being oppressed in the past is the worst *@@+ ever.
What you fail to understand is how close the past is.  Yes slavery was abolished more than 200 years ago, but I've
got Uncles who head was busted open while ordering a sandwich at a "no coloreds" diner, a Father who was chased
numerous times home from school by young white men with knives, swimming pool lifegaurds that sent me home from
public pools in the 90's because the other children's parents didn't want them in the pool with me, teachers that shut me out of honor's societies because of the color of my skin, sent home from birthday parties and finding out the next Monday that the party was a sleepover, having guns pulled on me as I walked by a neighbors house because it must have been me that stole from his tool shed.  Should I keep going?.

Is racism the focus of my life?  No.  My wife and kids are, and I'll do what it takes to teach them how to handle it.
I've been through it, and I know what racism tastes, smells, and feels like...even if it's shrouded in an ad camgaign.

all I have to say is..don't fall for that model minority stereotype my fellow Asians...especially comparing to other ethnic groups.

I already gave my rationale. I'm not going to do it twice. Not surprising you don't even want to be involved in the overall discussion beyond just this one ad though.

What's their to discuss beyond the ad? I already stated how I feel about how the media portrays minorities. 

But hey, keep throwing out your thin-veiled jabs.  I'm out.

"Already ahead of the curve"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom