Racially Insensitive: Yay Or Nay (Nivea Ad) - Discuss

Here's something the marketing crew and I came up with...
11v71ms.jpg

I'm african and if i saw the ad on a bus stop, i wouldnt think twice about it but i understand the insensitivity. Now is it wrong that I wouldnt have thought twice about it?

Originally Posted by beeniesfoams

notice the nappy head too?

^This. I completely agree with DC. This was no accident. Don't you people know that ad agencies also have psychologists and study consumer psychology as well? It's not just about putting out an ad. There is always a meaning and reason behind it. For those that say it is reaching, I challenge you to truly study race in America. It's complex and deeply rooted and for those of you who roll their eyes at it probably have never experienced real racism. It's not a pleasant feeling on any level and you definitely don't dismiss it. I understand not all of us on here live in the US, so you guys' view may be different than an American minority. It's a shame how I continuously read threads that pertain to race on this board, and given the ages and responses of some, I'm worried about the future.

soft @#$ people these days
Can't even use the words "uncivilized" "animals" or "savages" these days without people getting mad 
30t6p3b.gif

guess what, these terms are used in EVERY culture just in different languages.

A lot of self-projecting going on in this thread?

Inferiority embedded in Blacks?

What's really good??

Ravage, speak your opinion no more. Let's just let the subtle stuff slide, and let ads like this and the State Farm one continue to flourish. Let's watch how out of hand things will get with the wording and imagery of these ads. Like I said earlier, if it's not blatant, people won't get it. Since we aren't slaves anymore, racism only ....occasionally happens
eyes.gif

It's true black people DO pull the race card too much. But so what, at least we try to monitor the nonsense that goes one with issues like this. And not just let it slide like other races (like Ravage said). Black people do enough on their own to hurt the image of black people (WSHH)....we don't need movies, commercials, and print ads to further jump in. We are soft because we are only looking at ONE ad. But if you pull all the racially insensitive ads that have happened within the last 10 years...would you still consider us soft? So are we sensitive or are white people too aggressive? 

Either way the Nivea ad was pulled, and they will think twice before they ever do it again.

-The Juice

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

all I have to say is..don't fall for that model minority stereotype my fellow Asians...especially comparing to other ethnic groups.

I was honestly thinking the same, cause I've never even heard the phrase "model minority stereotype" in regards to anybody until I read the comment earlier.

Originally Posted by 0renthalJames

Ravage, speak your opinion no more. Let's just let the subtle stuff slide, and let ads like this and the State Farm one continue to flourish. Let's watch how out of hand things will get with the wording and imagery of these ads. Like I said earlier, if it's not blatant, people won't get it. Since we aren't slaves anymore, racism only ....occasionally happens
eyes.gif

It's true black people DO pull the race card too much. But so what, at least we try to monitor the nonsense that goes one with issues like this. And not just let it slide like other races (like Ravage said). Black people do enough on their own to hurt the image of black people (WSHH)....we don't need movies, commercials, and print ads to further jump in. We are soft because we are only looking at ONE ad. But if you pull all the racially insensitive ads that have happened within the last 10 years...would you still consider us soft? So are we sensitive or are white people too aggressive? 

Either way the Nivea ad was pulled, and they will think twice before they ever do it again.

-The Juice
let's be e-friends again, as I agree with everything you've written in this thread. I first saw this ad last week and I had to do a double take. However, when I see something insensitive I'm apparently agreeing with an implied notion that black ppl are inferior, uncivilized, etc????.....thats complete hogwash, and anyone who thinks this is not true is blind to society or just hasn't dealt with racism in real life....

Originally Posted by tailwind2006

Originally Posted by wHo NicE as HiM

for the first time i agree with dc ...it's kinda insensitive to imply that an afro is "uncivilized" and to fit in you must rid yourself of genetic heritage 

It's not saying that afros in particular are uncivilized.  Looking at both ads, its saying long hair in general is.  
Oh and saying this is racist is a reach.  If you notice, the ad isn't saying "CIVILIZE" yourself.  It's saying "RE-civilize."  This would mean that you were at one point civil, until you grew your hair out.  Its a freaking Nivea ad, they want you to groom yourself.  That's how they make money.
Not to pick on you, but you and many others here missed the point. I never called it RACIST. I said it is racially insensitive. Those might sound like the same but they aren't.

Showing racial empathy would be not allowing your company to release an ad like this in the first place. KNOWING this type of response would  happen. As I mentioned earlier, you don't think this was well thought out before it was released? Now they are copping pleas, saying they are sorry this and that. No, you shouldn't even put it out at first.

Originally Posted by j4ck

@SupermanBlue my point is that you're life shouldn't revolve around race, but every time something is borderline racist, ya'll jump on that $*** to prove that being oppressed in the past is the worst *@@+ ever.
Can I ask why you are saying that our lives shouldn't be revolved around race? Who gave off the impression that it was? If there is something racially insensitive, why does the person who is offended being looked at instead of the individual who put the ad out?

Like others have mentioned, it might be perspective. I can understand why someone who isn't of my background would say that, "Black people complain about racist things too much." Yes I get it and I can understand and agree to a degree. But unless you are in the shoes of those individuals, I don't think it is FAIR for you to be the one that determines if their "complaints" are valid or not.

eyes.gif

-The Juice
Well said. 

anyone who thinks this is not true is blind to society or just hasn't dealt with racism in real life....

It's evident a few of these guys live in a bubble 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by oidreez

I'm african and if i saw the ad on a bus stop, i wouldnt think twice about it but i understand the insensitivity. Now is it wrong that I wouldnt have thought twice about it?

No you aren't wrong for not noticing it. Some people do look for things more than others. But just because one looks for things more than another shouldn't mean that the insensitive act should be ignored and/or dismissed as being insensitive.

If I am a 5th grader, and I get smacked in the back of my head every morning by the girl behind me, and I complain to the teacher about it every morning, should the teacher say to me, "DC, stop complaining all of the time." Or should she address the person that is causing me harm? I don't like how the people that see fault in this are the ones being vilified.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

all I have to say is..don't fall for that model minority stereotype my fellow Asians...especially comparing to other ethnic groups.

I was honestly thinking the same, cause I've never even heard the phrase "model minority stereotype" in regards to anybody until I read the comment earlier.
laugh.gif
"model minority"

-The Juice
Juice, the messed up thing is I am sure they thought more than twice about putting the ad out. It wasn't like they let it slip through the cracks.

Any Asians, are there any "Asian Panther" type groups out there? Legit question.

I don't think so but think more African-Americans  than Africans or any other group of blacks probably would notice the insensitivity, racism, or whatever you want to call it from this ad based on their families talking about their past.  It's easy to not pay attention to something when something isn't affecting you directly in just about every thing people do in general. 

Originally Posted by beh235

notice the nappy head too?

^This. I completely agree with DC. This was no accident. Don't you people know that ad agencies also have psychologists and study consumer psychology as well? It's not just about putting out an ad. There is always a meaning and reason behind it. For those that say it is reaching, I challenge you to truly study race in America. It's complex and deeply rooted and for those of you who roll their eyes at it probably have never experienced real racism. It's not a pleasant feeling on any level and you definitely don't dismiss it. I understand not all of us on here live in the US, so you guys' view may be different than an American minority. It's a shame how I continuously read threads that pertain to race on this board, and given the ages and responses of some, I'm worried about the future.

Do you notice the unkempt beard on the white guy too? 
When I think of un-civilized, I picture pretty much a "hobo" (That goes for any race.) as the term itself references a barbaric connotation. If you want to set yourselves and have your mentalities dated to the past thinking that society is always out to get you or that there is always a hidden agenda, that's completely your call. Good luck progressing with a chip on your shoulder as you'll end up going out of your way searching for the negative or fabricating a negative when there was nothing there in the first place. I'm fully aware of oppression and the sensitivity of it. However, the main objective of their company is to promote cleanliness and definitely not intensify an injustice/superiority to Africans/African-Americans. Please don't stem away from that. They are not selling sprockets, lemonade or some random product. The contrast in the ads make sense. [Heaven/Hell, Civil/Un-Civil, Clean/Dirty, etc.] If you can't understand things from an analogical perspective, you may have bigger issues to worry about other than just race... 

It's simple really and it promotes essentially looking like a stereotypical clean-cut man/woman. Whom would you like to hire for the job? Mr. Clean-Shaven or Jumanji? Yes, a steady background and foundation are vital for a position, but physical appearance(i.e. The generalization of what hygiene should be.) still means something regardless of what race/gender/etc. you are in the workplace and sometimes also in life...

jumanji2_large.jpg

Those PS'd ads just appear as if someone was bitter while making them aside from the last one as he actually is successful...

Originally Posted by sniper

When I think of un-civilized, I picture pretty much a "hobo" (That goes for any race.) as the term itself references a barbaric connotation. If you want to set yourselves and have your mentalities dated to the past thinking that society is always out to get you or that there is always a hidden agenda, that's completely your call. Good luck progressing with a chip on your shoulder as you'll end up going out of your way searching for the negative or fabricating a negative when there was nothing there in the first place. I'm fully aware of oppression and the sensitivity of it. However, the main objective of their company is to promote cleanliness and definitely not intensify an injustice/superiority to Africans/African-Americans. Please don't stem away from that. They are not selling sprockets, lemonade or some random product. The contrast in the ads make sense. [Heaven/Hell, Civil/Un-Civil, Clean/Dirty, etc.] If you can't understand things from an analogical perspective, you may have bigger issues to worry about other than just race... 

It's simple really and it promotes essentially looking like a stereotypical clean-cut man/woman. Whom would you like to hire for the job? Mr. Clean-Shaven or Jumanji? Yes, a steady background and foundation are vital for a position, but physical appearance(i.e. The generalization of what hygiene should be.) still means something regardless of what race/gender/etc. you are in the workplace and sometimes also in life...
I see where you're coming from in all of this, and it is a pretty logical explanation, but even with some of your good points, you seem to be still in a box, using
tunnel vision, and pretty much not at all seeing the other side from other posters' points. The whole bolded part of your statement pretty much points that out,
even if you did follow with you're "fully aware...".

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Originally Posted by sniper

I see where you're coming from in all of this, and it is a pretty logical explanation, but even with some of your good points, you seem to be still in a box, using
tunnel vision, and pretty much not at all seeing the other side from other posters' points. The whole bolded part of your statement pretty much points that out,
even if you did follow with you're "fully aware...".

I was referring to those two individuals specifically by stating that comment and not generalizing all African-Americans idealisms and views. As I said earlier, I can understand where it can be taken out of context, but you'd be really reaching with this ad and specifically the company behind it...
35lsoxv.gif

How is it reaching when the Company pulled the AD and apologized?  
Thank you for caring enough to give us your feedback about the recent 'Re-civilized' NIVEA FOR MEN ad. This ad was inappropriate and offensive. It was never out intention to offend anyone, and for this we are deeply sorry. This ad will never be used again. Diversity and equal opportunity are crucial values of our company. 

http://www.facebook.com/NIVEAusa

While I understand the point people are making and the opinion that "re-civilize yourself" pushes some wrong buttons, especially for those of us who don't keep the shortcut hair, people are definitely reaching in this thread. I definitely agree with the fact that corporations put out negative images on african/ethnic features which especially manifests in our communities and mindsets, but yall are acting like a group of scheming old white men came together and made the poster for that purpose. It was a marketing blunder, and if they switched the captions on the pictures dudes would still be upset. I personally think the ad should be pulled, but if it wasn't I wouldn't dwell on it for a second, and still grow my hair out in a sec if I felt like it. Basically as dude said earlier people getting soft, there's more than enough pressing issues going on in the world and in our own communities to not worry about Nivea not actually pre-testing their advertisements. I don't even know N's who even buy their %#%#.

chill out, listen to murder to excellence, and find a productive way to spread a positive message about our race than complaining about a negative one.

In response to the black v white doll video, I've seen it and was disgusted with it, but you simply can't blame corporations for that if a child is left to watch the tv/internet/whatever media fits unmonitered while mom is away at work. My parent's only bought my sister black dolls and things that didn't put the "blond, blue eyed beauty" mindset into her head. You can't watch kids 24 hours a day but its really up to the parents to make sure that they're always instilling the idea of self love into their child.

I am also African and I noticed nothing. Is it a little insensitive, maybe. But it is not a big a deal as people are making it out to be

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

How is it reaching when the Company pulled the AD and apologized?  
Thank you for caring enough to give us your feedback about the recent 'Re-civilized' NIVEA FOR MEN ad. This ad was inappropriate and offensive. It was never out intention to offend anyone, and for this we are deeply sorry. This ad will never be used again. Diversity and equal opportunity are crucial values of our company. 

http://www.facebook.com/NIVEAusa
Kudos for them to owning up to it. I'm pretty sure we all know it likely wasn't their intention but as it has been mentioned in this thread its about insensitivity, which often is accidental. It's really too bad we live in a society where more people are inclined to roll their eyes than open them. We should always hold corporations and the media accountable for what they put out there. Ignoring the little things, like a crack in a drain, always leads to bigger things.
I really need for people to understand how something so little and seemingly harmless perpetuates a negative image that effects us in a large-scale manner. I'll give you an example. A classmate of mines who wears his hair in dreadlocks had to cut his hair before the end of our last year because career advisors advised him that law firms will be hesitant to hire someone who has dreads. Mind you he is very clean shaven and his dreads are very well kept. This is the society we live in. Ignoring it only makes the problem worse.

It is a big deal. Why? <Looks at phone> today is Aug 19, 2011? Correct? So why am I seeing advertisements similar to the Jim Crow era?  I apologize for having to post these insensitive pictures below but I am trying to make a point. 
matches.jpg

nhead.jpg

book.jpg

tarsoap.jpg

tobacco.jpg

dailyphoto_110819.jpg

Back
Top Bottom