Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

So can we discuss some of the most overrated albums?
This **** only had 2 maybe 3 songs

Naw b. I just thought Dre wasn't as good a producer. He was still learning. It didn't age as well. That's why I say NWA's album without Cube is actually better.

This was in 1996? Same year It Was Written came out, how long has NY had complaints of hometown support? Can only speak on what I experienced and "If I Ruled The World" was on the radio non stop when it dropped where I was at.

As a younger dude I’m curious to hear any insight on this

Magic33 Magic33 :nerd:

New York had bootlegging, so I always thought that was a factor. I always thought labels under reported a lot of albums in order to not pay artist. It's **** I had and everyone had, but you would see it only sold 150.

New York took the music for granted, plus it was easily accessible. In New York you're going to be compared to _____ to be supported and championed. Any artist that comes out. He's not Nas though. He's not Jay-Z.

But I was saying some of this during the Reasonable Doubt discussion. New York artist weren't going multi like Snoop and them. So gold was good. That didn't mean people slept on Illmatic. Illmatic was as big in the hood as Doggystyle. It only went gold though. It didn't go platinum until years later like Reasonable Doubt. Same with 36 Chambers. Enta Da Stage. It wasn't the Ja Rule and DMX era when dudes were selling 3 and 4. Going close to gold the first week.

I think that factored in to New York not feeling they were supported, because they weren't getting the sales that a lot of artist were getting without radio play. Too Short and DJ Quik were selling without commercial support. With how popular songs were by Naughty and Black Sheep, they didn't sell two mil at least?

Plus it turned on to Puff, because he was good at marketing himself and his artist and the radio stations supported him. Who is the radio going to play the uptempo danceable beat or the grimy New York production?

Boy was geeking.

upload_2018-8-9_21-14-58.jpeg

“Cocaina heavily, cooking dope excessively
Heavy wrist activity, my god given ability
Hid the bricks in the 6, wait 'til they get low to ship
Shawty snort a lotta powder let her snort it off the bricks
Gucci mane the dope boy, point me where the jays at
Heres a 50 slab watch my'74 to pay that
Shawty want some hardball, baby want some powder
I'm so high I see Stone Mountain
Gucci got the birds I ain't talking bout the Falcons
Gucci slanging birds also known as a dragon
Hundred pounds of mid-grade, stash that in my magnum
Rode it to the country, then them country boys I taxed them
Gucci mane bastard, cook that dope faster
Make that dope stretch like a 80 inch plasma
Coke game, dope game, smoking on my airplane
80 in the air mane, bricks over here mane”

:pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

I don't remember listening to the tape but I remember car service. Used to love that song. Early Wiz was dope.

Wiz was dope on that tape. But Spitta got the best of him on there. I remember this snippet on MySpace before it came out is what made me pay attention:

Still one of my most played tapes to this day.

Back
Top Bottom