Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by brivera716, Apr 20, 2017.

1. nawghtyhare

nawghtyhare

Clifford Harris

2. RIP Screw

RIP Screw

There’s enough variety out. Just gotta look

iamdef likes this.
  3. debso

debso

the majority don't know they have choices. the radio and social media dictates a lot of things for ppl. gatekeepers have blocked variety in the game. period. they are pushing this stuff...its an agenda.

look at r&b.

its not an agenda? keep it 100.

the difference between them is one was out at a time where artist development and variety were things so one was out when missy, da brat, rah digga, etc. were out and the other has a machine behind her and is pushed at a time where if you aren't talking about your ***** over a beat from a producer that copied a producer copying a producer you won't be heard.

6pac, Maximus Meridius and JRaW’d like this.
  4. debso

debso

na, there's not. you know what I mean or you are young(er) and don't.

one shouldn't have to do the same search they did back in the day to find underground artists to find variety. variety was on the radio, period. there is none now for most stations in this country.

you guys can make excuses and pretend like the quality didn't go down and like variety is still a thing if you want. i'm not gonna pretend with you.
    I just posted vids where LL was 15/16 years old crushing it. now you have 30 year olds pushing drug habbits on teens mumbling.

6pac likes this.
  5. numbah1grimey

numbah1grimey

Of course there’s an agenda but people are growing dumber by the second. They’re going to follow no matter what. What I’m asking you is, what’s the solution? If you’ve got 20 and 30 year olds who are the present, and they’re having or already have kids, who are the future. This is the new reality bro.

I’m not going to ever tell people what music to listen to or, what pop culture entertainment to be interested in. You can’t force people who are stuck in their ways, to change

6. americangenius

americangenius

That didn't make anything I said less true. I was strictly comparing the two artists and the music they make since they were the most prominent of their time respectively.

numbah1grimey likes this.
  7. numbah1grimey

numbah1grimey

I’m trying to tell dude that people are going to like what they like, regardless. Artist development and all that, people in this “high positions” don’t care about that. Ironically, the “machine” behind these artists are execs that were around in the 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. these people are the same age or older, than Jermaine Dupri.

Dupri has a record label and can sign whomever he so chooses :lol:

8. debso

debso

the solution is when you have kids, play quality music. go back to the essence. teach them about what came before hip hop. where the samples came from. transition to hip hop from the 80s-90s. help them develop an appreciation for music.
    the problem is we are talking about rappers that don't care and labels, radio stations, etc. that don't care about music.

ppl are growing up in an era where nobody cares and it shows. WE have to take it back. no one will do it for us.
    my cousin was so disappointed when his 12 year old daughter (a few years back) wasn't into biggie and told him to turn that old stuff off.

my son (1) nods his head and tries to beat on the wall, tables, etc. anytime boom bap comes on...and parliament, new jack swing, etc.
    for a reason.

part of it IS our fault from the illegal downloading. we gotta take it back or watch it continue to go down in flames.

9. numbah1grimey

numbah1grimey

Part of it???? ALL are at fault. Stop blaming these labels and point to the real issue. It’s the FANS not caring. Period.

A lot of people my age (31) or younger weren’t even allowed to listen to hip hop or vulgarity. Good thing my moms was young, and my family loves music. My uncle was a DJ. Grandmother played straight temptations, Teddy Pendergast, Bootsy Collins, James Brown. The supremes, Earth Wind and Fire, bar-Kay’s, Isaac Hayes. Etc

People don’t have soul like that. And it shows. But, what are you to do?

americangenius likes this.
  10. RIP Screw

RIP Screw

When so much music is so easily accessible, you should have to do research.

Not everyone is tryna hear those old beats that don’t really knock anything. Like I said before, subject matter has always been toxic no matter how you slice it. You can say it with a different flow but at the end of the day, they were still glorifying drug use back then

wavycrocket likes this.
  11. americangenius

americangenius

There is more variety and music available than any point in history. All of it is easily discoverable to anyone, in fact Tidal and Spotify automatically suggest songs that are similar and start playing it. I listen to Cole, and Tidal took me to JID, then took me to West Coast Boogie, then KRIT. All of these artists I would never hear through the radio or "gatekeepers". People are just playing what they want.

iamdef and $tacy like this.
  12. a blinkin

a blinkin

Definitely hear it now.

Salute to TI :smokin

13. kingfoamnyc

kingfoamnyc

RIP Bankroll

kidkain, va757va, ill steelo and 9 others like this.
  14. diabolicaldeezy

diabolicaldeezy

Was just bumping LOAHB leaving work :pimp::pimp::pimp:

RIP Bank:smh::smh:

debso likes this.
  15. debso

debso

the fans don't care but it started (IMO) in 03 when get low was on the radio and 106 and park for like 234234234234 weeks. labels took notice and I feel like over time they keep pushing the same types of artists trying to chase a quick buck.
    ppl like myself and others that care about music saw what the suburbs were doing with napster and we started using winmx and kazaa, which later turned to torrents, but anyway we started illegally downloading a ton of music and didn't support the artists we loved...and here we are.

that's why I won't bootleg a Griselda or Da Cloth tape. I purchase everything because I have to practice what i'm preaching. if I rock with it i'm buying it. i'm supporting.
    these labels and radio stations see these artists getting real sales and the game may slowly change. artists like benny are getting big looks that a lot of artists making the type of music he makes don't get. its connections and all that with the artist but the fans have to do their part too.

I def grew up on cleaning to al green, marvin gaye, etc. and also celia cruz, tito Puente, Oscar de leon, etc. but also grew up in the era from new jack swing-dipset.
    I had a variety. we were lucky enough or blessed enough to see biggie, pac, wu tang, etc. and remember where we were when we first heard them. we have passion.

these kids out here don't have anything like what we had as far as cartoons and music. its up to us to help them cultivate passion and care about stuff and who knows we might influence the next dope rapper or singer.

16. debso

debso

fwiw no disrespect to ying yang twins tho.
    and its not a north/south thing either. the quality we got with hypnotize minds, no limit, cash money, dungeon family, etc. is like night and day compared to what we get now.

it hurt my heart to find out this man was killed. he was next. he was what i'm talking about with quality, passion about his music, etc. he had it.

Master Zik, kingfoamnyc and Hahahaha like this.
  17. SlunderKingpin

SlunderKingpin

Timbaland blessing...

18. debso

debso

na, not really.
    most artists were not glorifying hardcore drug use. a few were but most? it being a common thing on the radio? na.
    not that dealing is much better tbh but artists cared enough about their craft to have better and wittier bars which made the songs dope.

artists nowadays for the most part don't care enough about their craft to understand bar structure, punchlines, etc. i'm putting more energy into this convo then they do in what they write and you can tell.

as far as the production, the production was better back then. that's subjective but I feel how I feel.

pick the hardest track from 2019 and I bet I can find a track from 79-02 that's harder.

ppl made fun of juiceman but rap nowadays is basically like that.

19. RIP sleazyy

RIP sleazyy

65FB04CF-3B5E-47E1-B048-7376E129F8E3.png

I miss this dude man

RIP Bankroll

I freestyle about dumb **** with no real structure or anything like that and it sounds better than most of the **** I hear when I play the radio or browse YouTube :lol:

20. wavycrocket

wavycrocket

:smh:

The one man smh

kingfoamnyc and debso like this.
  21. Maximus Meridius

Maximus Meridius

The difference is one had the skill of rapping and the other we've been watching try to figure it out while still struggling with her flow. If you heard Lil Kim on Players Anthem, Quiet Storm and her verse on Biggie and don't see the difference I don't know what to tell you. :lol:

And ya'll still using that old

"the radio don't dictate..."

"There's more female rappers..."

Whether it's social media, clubs, the streets whatever you wanna say dictates what's hot the fact is females want to hear sassy thot raps. A Rapsody or a Che Noir ain't gonna get popular w/o a female audience. Until females want to hear a balance again thot rap is gonna dominate female hip hop.

22. Maximus Meridius

Maximus Meridius

I always say the people that REALLY love and appreciate Hip Hop also love and appreciate where the music came from. Soul R&B and Funk. When I see people that don't appreciate that **** I look at them funny. That's where Hip Hop was birthed from. That's a easy way to expose culture vultures, folks that don't know where any of these samples came from.

23. americangenius

americangenius

What skill of rapping? The fact she used Biggie's flow?
    I love Quiet Storm, but it's no different than using Offset's flow on Bartier Cardi, or her on Drip. Cardi has great delivery. Only difference is that Kim's stuff was penned by the greatest rapper of all time, but honestly there's not much of a difference between the actual artists. Same raunchy vids and imagery, content, etc. A&R's ran back the same damn formula.

kidkain likes this.
  24. Maximus Meridius

Maximus Meridius

If you think that it's nothing else to talk about. :lol:

25. americangenius

americangenius

Ok, aka you can't address any of the other points. Got it.

For the record, she smoked everyone with her verse on Motorsport including Nicki off delivery alone.

kidkain, a blinkin and $tacy like this.