Retail Workers FTL? Vol. Pet Peeves

The thing about retail is no matter how much money you make you hate your job. Because dealing with the public sucks.

I make 60K a year, have good benefits, and they pay for grad school but I still hate my job.

I feel like a drug dealer, there aren't "real" jobs where I can make this much money or have the benefits I have with my experience/education.

I'm trapped.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by RenaRene

Macy mens dept: Middle aged men asking to hold something up to their backs under the premise of "seeing if it would fit"...really just looking to be touched by a female
my homegirl works in the mens at macys, she be telling me about all the stories of the stuff dudes be asking/doing to her. she just be like yeahill give you my number, sign up for a macys card, or sign up for loyalty. she got like 9 new accounts in one day
indifferent.gif
she has to put in no work to get newaccounts since she got a pretty face and a bomb body. i be sitting up here having to sweet talk and flirt with these broads to get new accounts.

its too easy for ya ladies, especially the ones with the pretty faces @ getting new accounts
smh.gif

Originally Posted by doosta45

Originally Posted by RenaRene

Macy mens dept: Middle aged men asking to hold something up to their backs under the premise of "seeing if it would fit"...really just looking to be touched by a female
my homegirl works in the mens at macys, she be telling me about all the stories of the stuff dudes be asking/doing to her. she just be like yeah ill give you my number, sign up for a macys card, or sign up for loyalty. she got like 9 new accounts in one day
indifferent.gif
she has to put in no work to get new accounts since she got a pretty face and a bomb body. i be sitting up here having to sweet talk and flirt with these broads to get new accounts.

its too easy for ya ladies, especially the ones with the pretty faces @ getting new accounts
smh.gif

yall gotta get those too??
lol we get $2 for every app so its pretty good motivation...
some dudes be doing anything to get ppl to apply tho...
laugh.gif
lying n $!$%
but yea theres a couple dudes who be gettin like 150 of those every month
sick.gif
thats like $300 added to they paycheck
i always get around 50 of em...smh
theres the one BAD girl @ work...she doesnt ever ask people to apply tho...

Originally Posted by Regal Black

Originally Posted by cuppiecakie

When people are checking out and talking on their cell phones.
Arguing a price with me when it is CLEARLY marked on the ticket.
Hagglers. I hate you
Women who trash my department. Is it really that hard to pick up the trash you put on the floor that is literally 2 inches from the trash can? Or to put the clothes back on the hanger?
People that come in 5 mins before we close.
I don't understand why people do this and know damn well the store will be closed in 5 minutes
smh.gif

Speaking of which!!!!!
A customer came in at 10 til 6pm and started shopping. It's a a holiday so we close at 6pm. She finally left at 615pm after being approached by myself, 4other employees and finally the store manager. She told the customer that the registers closed at 6 and if she wanted t o make a purchase she had to now holdit until tomorrow. The customer was pissed and started yelling at the mgr! Well the mgr wasn't having it and told her that we were all leaving and she hadabout 30 secs before the store alarm went off and she'd have to talk to the mall police on why she wasn't leaving.

She left.
happy.gif

Originally Posted by useref15

I work in a Supermarket and the things that really get me are:

1. Do you work here? Yes, because the nametag and outfit don't give it away right?
2. When I'm on register, and my light is on....people ask, are you open?
3. When I'm on the floor, and people just throw something in a random place because they don't want it.
4. When I hand them a reciept, they just throw it back on the counter.
5. When they throw money on the counter, and don't put it in my hand.
6. Complain over literally ten cents.
7. Paper in Plastic annoys the hell out of me.
8. When people talk on their cell phone obnoxiously loud when they are in line.
9. People complain that our prices are high, and they say its cheaper at shoprite. Well go there then, don't %%@+* to me.
10. When people come up to me and ask me how much an item it. Listen, I don't know the price of everything in the damns store.
11. When we make closing announcements, and you are still casually walking the aisles shopping.
12. They think something rings up wrong, So I go check, and it usually always scans right...they are just looking at the wrong tag.
13. At my store, the cashiers have to bag for the customer. But what really annoys me is when they bring the reusable bags which takes a lot longer to bag, they just stand there looking at me. Do they not understand they can actually help and it will make the process alot faster?

There is much more, but these are the main things. My store is madd laid back though, and the managers are madd cool. The only thing keeping me there is coworkers and that the place is very chill. The only thing that sucks are the customers, but there would be no store without them I guess.
I really hate when people ask me that. Half of the time I say no and they start laughing. Why on Earth would you look at me, my name badge/uniformand then ask a stupid question like that? I firmly believe if you ask a stupid question, you deserve a stupid answer. JUST SAYIN'.

I think a lot of ppl ask retail workers if they work at the store because it would be mad embarrassing if they approached just some random person and startedasking questions. So I guess they ask just to be sure.

I remember there was a thread about ppl who used to rock their work uniform outside of work so that could get complicating on some occasions and the public isgenerally always in the unknown.

I work at Lowe's as a loader seasonally......

I hate:

-When a old lady or man comes and get's 20 bags of mulch, and can't lift anything ( they come in heards duringspring/summer )
-When people get 80lb bags of Quickcrete ( So heavy)
-People who take their time with their cart even though the store is closed ( making me have to stay later )
-Being the arrun (sp?) boy for everybody
-Having to close every time I work...
-Working every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday ( then getting a random weekday off )

I hate manual labor in general so I don't have to many positive things to say anyway lol.....

But it's all motivation to get on this college/internship grind so I can have a career I love....

Originally Posted by hassan16

I think a lot of ppl ask retail workers if they work at the store because it would be mad embarrassing if they approached just some random person and started asking questions. So I guess they ask just to be sure.

I remember there was a thread about ppl who used to rock their work uniform outside of work so that could get complicating on some occasions and the public is generally always in the unknown.
I feel like most people are just trying to be courteous too. It seems kind of rude to go tap on someone's shoulder and just start asking themto do something for them. I still could see how it would be annoying. I just go up and say 'excuse me' and ask my question though

Originally Posted by hassan16

I think a lot of ppl ask retail workers if they work at the store because it would be mad embarrassing if they approached just some random person and started asking questions. So I guess they ask just to be sure.

I remember there was a thread about ppl who used to rock their work uniform outside of work so that could get complicating on some occasions and the public is generally always in the unknown.
reminds me of when I saw some dude in the store

Customer: Do you work here?
Man: I work for Deloitte. Do i look dumb enough to work here?
Customer:
eyes.gif

Me:
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Dude must have had a rough day.

Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers wrote:
trust me it's a shame. thats why i always told my coworkers to never ever have a sense of loyalty to the company because the company doesn't give a flying crap about them. i always told my coworkers to look out for eachother but to never be overly loyal to the higher ups. i let them know that we were all expendable and if one little thing went wrong we would all get fired for the most stupidest of reasons.
This right here.

1. most managers and district managers have that crabs in a bucket mentality. They know this is the best job they'll probably have because they have minimal education and they look at you like
indifferent.gif
smh.gif
when you tell them that your going to need to change your hours because your going back to school (regardless of the fact that your being considerate enough to try and schedule your classes to work around your work schedule) just because i don't see this job as my career doesn't mean you can take it out on me and make me feel guilty that it isn't

I got this issue now with my job. They caught a fit because I elected to attend school in the evenings. I gave them a month's notice, yet they stillcaught a major fit, and threatended termination. I stood pat.

I wouldn't recommend retail to ANYONE looking for a job unless they were desperate. It's horrible.
tired.gif
They just work you into the ground and don't even give you anything otherthan a pat on the back
eyes.gif
It's to the point where I just don'treally give a #@@# anymore, I don't really even respect the customers most of the time...they're the biggest pet peeve.

One thing that does kinda irk me...when I'm not busy at all nobody wants to say !+*@...but as soon as I get busy with a large task that needs to be done ata certain time, people wanna start bugging for help and !+*@...and most of the time its something they don't really need help for, they're just beinglazy.
indifferent.gif
Sometimes I just ignore em and keep going about mybusiness. They also wanna do it when you're going on your lunch break or about to leave
mad.gif
I mean...does it look like I'm on the !*@**! clock right now?
indifferent.gif
Go ask someone who cares. Everybody else in this thread pretty muchsummed up the rest.

I swear, retail just makes you build up alot of hate towards people.

Yea, I'm mad.

Originally Posted by LIQI2345

I work at Express, love my job, but it can be frustrating

Taking clothes off manakins for customers who "have to have that size"

well if thats the only one left in my size...

i work at bestbuy btw

customer: i want a cable that has USB on one end and HDMI on the other.

Me: umm.. that cable doesnt exist, sorry.

customer: are you sure you dont have them in the back?

Me: nah... the cable hasnt been invented yet. usb and hdmi are 2 different things.

customer: this is ridiculous, you guys call yourself bestbuy, but you dont have a simple cable? ..im goin to frys

roll.gif
i used to work at a sears also in the mall. haha u by any chance work at the alderwood mall in lynwood cuz u just described that place perfectly

Thread is full of fail. If you work in retail your job is to cater to the customers, your needs take a back seat.

Thats why I buy things online, I don't deal with you bum $$* lames.

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

Thread is full of fail. If you work in retail your job is to cater to the customers, your needs take a back seat.

I agree but that doesn't give them a right to treat you like !$*+...

people act like they know your store better than you do...if i tell you we don't have it cuz we don't have it...(most of the time) only time i lie isif you're an $@$

you buy your food online too?

Originally Posted by MrWavez

you buy your food online too?
Nah my girl handles that.

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

I agree but that doesn't give them a right to treat you like !$*+...

people act like they know your store better than you do...if i tell you we don't have it cuz we don't have it...(most of the time) only time i lie is if you're an $@$
I treat people how they want to be treated.

If I ever mistreated someone it's because they deserved it.

However whenever I worked retail I tried my absolute hardest not to ever give customers a reason to mistreat me. That's why I don't deal with mostmalls/stores, because I know that 90% of people in retail have no concept of "work ethic". Everyone in retail seems to feel entitled to a check.

They need a reality check.

i went to a retail store (the clothing company i work for) and immediately received the cold shoulder from the employees there.
its disappointing how it wasn't until i was at the register and gave the cashier my employee I.D and told him my current position as an assistant designerwithin that very company that they decided to accomodate me, acknowledge my presence. and began to converse with me.
whats that about?

Originally Posted by yojoshh

i work at bestbuy btw

customer: i want a cable that has USB on one end and HDMI on the other.

Me: umm.. that cable doesnt exist, sorry.

customer: are you sure you dont have them in the back?

Me: nah... the cable hasnt been invented yet. usb and hdmi are 2 different things.

customer: this is ridiculous, you guys call yourself bestbuy, but you dont have a simple cable? ..im goin to frys

That is a male USB/female HDMI cable.

You're acting like you're doing us a favor by saying that.
laugh.gif
Could care less.

Pet peeves of mine from just workin at Champs PT:

Dudes askin for discounts..even when you tell them no...
People that don't sign up for free reward cards that give you coupons (weird how people don't want to save money)
People that come in and ask for a size in a shoe and i tell them we have nothing under a size 11 but yet they still ask for a size 10 smh..
People that make u measure their foot size

Originally Posted by trapmuzik617

smh.gif
I used to work at Finishline at the mall... what im about to say may sound racist... but whatever.

I would hate havin to work sundays... Our old manager used to call it "Mexican Sunday"

Majority of the customers would be mexicans that barely spoke any english... they'd come to the mens side asking for a size "siss... siss & a hiph"

tell em you dont have it... and it only comes in mens. the smallest would be a 9... then they wanna try it anyway!!!!
this is funny....

and since you're being honest, i'll be honest too....

Some black people get the
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif
from me...

-How you going to come to be REEKING of weed smoke? My dude I'm getting high off your jacket.
-How you getting J's for all your kids.. and reach for money out your T i T. I dont want 300 sweaty bills!!
-Don't ask me, "you got them new J's?" Man i need description at least. They release like 4 a week, and you wind up getting the team J's

laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom