Roomate Drama: Opinions?

Sup NT,

For the past 10 years I've lived with different roomates, some friends, some randoms, and have never had any drama until now. Looking for your opinion on this situation. 

Living situation: 3 dudes late 20's living in a 3 bedroom apartment. The layout is my room and the garage is on the first floor, the second floor is the living room and kitchen, and the third floor is the two other  bedrooms. I live on the first floor, and my two other roomates live on the third floor. 

One roomate insists on leaving the door unlocked because he believes there is no risk of us getting robbed. He believes if he is home, then he should not have to lock the door because there is no risk (his room is on the third floor, my room is on the first). We live in a nice area of town, and you need a badge to get into the complex, but we live in a "party centric" area where a lot of people will be coming over from all over. 

Some things to note:

1) I'm the only typical NTer in the house. Typical NT'er meaning the materialistic, 3 pairs of the same shoe in different colors, expensive clothes, expensive watches, NT'er. The other two are just your average dudes when it comes to those kinds of things.

2) As I said, I am the only one on the first floor, my bedroom is about 30 feet away from the front door. To get to their rooms, you have to walk up two sets of stairs and the living room to get to the third floor.

3) The one roomate who is insisting of leaving the door unlocked is immature for his age and has somewhat of a napoleon complex. He has a need to always feel important and have his way, just for his ego. He's one of the types who is talented at complaining to customer service. There is absolutely no inconvenience for him locking the door, it's just the principle that he believes "there is no safety issue and no need to lock the door."

At this point I got into a heated debate with him about it and I know that, knowing his personality, he will be stubborn and refuse to lock the door for his ego. I'm going to continue to lock the door but at this point I have no assurance he will lock it. What should I do at this point? Steal all his **** one day to teach him a lesson? 

put a lock on your bedroom door. they are relatively cheap and everyone would win

Trade in your expensive shoes, watches, etc for a single bedroom apartment. Either that or make sure the door is locked at all times (although I assume you have a life and won't always be home) or just express your feelings to them.

What I would do personally is take some of your roommates **** to make it look like he got robbed then give it back to him like a week later. Just to let the **** sink in, but then he wouldn't be learning his lesson. Three options my *****

Roommate is simply dumb. The main point is the safety of you and your housemates and your point is valid.  You never know who will suddenly lurk in the neighborhood. Also, you didn't mention anything about the other roommate's views on this situation. Does he care about the door being locked?

And if you're really the roommate who insists on keeping the front door unlocked and you just wanted to post this on NT to hear other people's perspective on the situation...Don't be a ****. Locking the door is the smart thing to do. 
grin.gif

put a lock on your bedroom door. they are relatively cheap and everyone would win

That doesn't solve the main problem though. Op get the other roommate involved. If he agress with him then idk. That's just reckless but he feels that way cause none of his things are "in danger". Swap rooms maybe?

That doesn't solve the main problem though. Op get the other roommate involved. If he agress with him then idk. That's just reckless but he feels that way cause none of his things are "in danger". Swap rooms maybe?

how does it not? if his bedroom door is locked than he won't have to worry about the consequences from his dumb roomate

1. Get renter's insurance

2. Speak to the landlord. If he/she can't get them to do anything. Get permission to but and individual lock on your door.

3. Speak to the third roommate and try to get him on your side. Preferably before you talk to the landlord. Two beats one, the third dude can't get his way in that situation

4.Start making your friends come over, walk right in, go upstairs, and ask your roommate if you are home. The fact random people are running up in his house constantly might send the message that the door needs to be locked.

Last edited:
Because an outsider would still have access inside. Idk Op best of luck man. I absolutely hated living w/strangers. You blow up one time and they learn though. Had a ***** moment and dude chilled for the rest of the lease.

Take all of his things & hide them. Proceed to ask him if he still thinks the area is safe upon discovery of 'stolen' belongings...

1. Get renter's insurance

2. Speak to the landlord. If he/she can't get them to do anything. Get permission to but and individual lock on your door.

3. Speak to the third roommate and try to get him on your side. Preferably before you talk to the landlord. Two beats one, the third dude can't get his way in that situation

4.Start making your friends come over, walk right in, go upstairs, and ask your roommate if you are home. The fact random people are running up in his house constantly might send the message that the door needs to be locked.
The other roomate is a cool dude who thinks logically and he is 100% with me. He locks it all the time. 

I have renter's insurance ,which adds some comfort. The unfortunate situation is if i did get robbed, and whoever robbed me got caught, and in the police report they say they walked in because the door was unlocked, my coverage is reduced due to negligence. 

I consider myself a very reasonable, easy going guy. I deal with a large team in finance everyday so I understand the importance of being diplomatic, putting yourself in others shoes, etc etc. But dealing with this situation is a challenge. The problematic roomate has a very very weird personality and has huge insecurity problems. He never wants to feel like he is "being told" to do something even thought we aren't giving him orders, but he feels like we are. 

The other dynamic is that he has lived her the longest. (He didn't get along well with the old roomate for similar personality issues) and therefore it's not like we could just kick him out. The place is REALLY nice and the only reason I think i got the room at the great $ rate was because most people would not put up with living with somebody who is as opinionated and difficult as him.....ive been able to manage it by my sociable people skills but when it comes to the safety of my assets and valuables i have to stand firm......

I am against the "teaching a lesson" strategy, sometimes keeping it real goes wrong.  This guys sounds like the type to get butt hurt and sue you.

I think it's important to get the third roommate on your side.

Next, talk to the land lord.  You can get him on your side by presenting it simply as incredibly reduced risk of property damage vs higher risk of property damage.  This kind of things sells itself ya know?  The landlord can then have it be a rule that the door is locked at night.

If for whatever ridiculous reason that doesn't work, go through the proper channels to get a lock for your room.

If THAT doesn't work, go for improvised security measures like chair under the door handle or heavy thing blocking door (assuming it opens inward).

Alternatively you could just move.  Risking your life and possessions on the over confidence of some fool who has much less to lose isn't the way man.

Last edited:
Your roommate sounds like an idiot. Tell him to grow up and start acting like an adult. Ask him if his room was on the first floor would he feel the same way. It's annoying when stubborn people can't accept the idea they're wrong.

Last edited:
Maybe you and the difficult roommate could switch rooms. Either that or have a friend sneak in and cuddle with him in his sleep. Bet he'll lock the door from there on.

Back
Top Bottom