ROOTS Getting a Remake

They only show the ancestors who didn't/couldn't fight back. It took Nate Parker to invest his own money a lot of time for the Nat Turner movie to be made. We have a lot of history to be proud of post-slavery but they never depict that. Now it's clearly not their job to, but the fact still remains, show slavery, even dumb it down. Madam CJ Walker who? Garret Morrison huh? Harriet Tubman, Sojourner Truth, Frederick Douglass, BWS in Tulsa, Ok, etc.

But I forgot, movies like that don't make money

And Hollywood needs innovate. Hell, let's get a group of us together and write a screenplay.

Man i'm tired of black slave movies and black people getting whipped and beat up and hanged

they get all the way the **** outta here with this

Maybe if your boy Steven Adams watched roots he wouldn't be going around calling steph curry a little monkey

Y'all just don't get it do you?

Dude made a mistake cause of cultural differences. Not like it was malicious in any way.

Ahh, so we should just do away with it and forget about it. It's apart of our history. I question those who want to disregard it as if it never existed.
I've never heard the Jews disregard the Holocaust as if it didn't exist nor native Americans with colonialism, but we got cats wanting to disregard slavery. Talking bout they tired of hearing bout they ancestors history. They seem to have forgotten how long the enslavement of blacks was and how many people it affected and how it still affects us until this . Cats seem to have also forgotten how many black heroes have risen up out of this atrocity. But they don't want to hear about this "slave ****" . So the likes of Alexandre Dumas, Harriet Tubmans, Nat Turner and Abraham Gannibal should all disappear from history, cause they stem from this "slave ****" of which they don't want to hear about. :rolleyes Cat's is lost.

You're really gonna keep on with this ******** like a single soul even insinuated we "disregard" slavery ?

There is more to our history than slavery and that's what we are getting at but you're too busy being a pretentious jackass to see that.

Figured you'd deflect before you'd own up to your pompous ********.

True clown ****.

So this is good? I gave Underground a shot because of you guys, so I'll give this a shot also.

Yeah I'm with this train.

Nah fam stop disregarding our history all we ever were was slaves and they should pump a 100 of these movies and shows out a year because how else will white people know about the horrors their people committed for centuries if not for movies and tv shows they probably won't watch.......

Cats are lost out here :smh:

it's coming in fall:

I can't wait for this to come out. I'm so looking forward to it :smokin

Snoop is really a walking case of weed actually having negative effects on the brain

He doesn't speak for everyone. Some will agree with him, while others won't. The problem is the amount of exposure rappers and other entertainers get with every comment or IG video they put out.

:lol:

Give them a minute.

So this is good? I gave Underground a shot because of you guys, so I'll give this a shot also.
This is better than Undergroubd, slow motion death scenes aside.

They crafted Kunta's time in West Africa real well.

Fiddler's aversion to the "old ways" to the time skip where he's embracing them even more was cool.

Just the whole contrast and comparison of a dude whose parents got kidnapped and sold in to slavery and knows nothing of his background meeting a younger African when he's much older being opposed to the culture then connecting back to it resonates.

It's funny how people cry about these slave movies then bring up slavery every time something racist happens expecting white people to understand. :lol:

So odd. The brutality should be shown as well. Some people can't possibly imagine how bad it was. I remember way back when tales of the hood dropped. The scene of the lynchings was eye opening and powerful as a kid. Not something ppl would stumble upon pre-internet era unless you did hard research.

Yo how come every slave overseer in this is Irish, is that historically accurate?:nerd:  

How Forest Whitaker the flyest dude in this movie, what is that velvet?:lol:
Many Irish were indentured servants. Being that they were white, they had a higher status than a slave in society during that time period(Far from the ******** that they spew about them being the first slaves in America). Some of them were treated bad, but far from what an African American had to go through.They usually put them in charge of the slaves although they were considered less than your traditional anglo saxon. Think of them as nothing more than an underpaid supervisor fattening the rich CEO's pockets who occasionally throws them a Christmas ham.

Last edited:

It's funny how people cry about these slave movies then bring up slavery every time something racist happens expecting white people to understand.
laugh.gif
There is def truth to this, but I suppose my essential issue with these films is that a lot of the appeal for these films is the fact that they are enlightening to their intended audiences (White people)....Truth is, I knew about the story of free slaves being tricked back into slavery (12 years), because I read Solomon's book, I know about Nat Turner's rebellion and Jackie Robinson because, well I read about those as well.

My frustration lies in the necessity for these films in the first place, necessary as it may be, why are white people finding out about the atrocities of slavery through Hollywood, and not through their upbringing and education? The power of written history is more impactful because my imagination while reading the events of these books is much more personal and powerful than a directors interpretation of them. 

I didn't go see Jackie Robinson because I don't like black films, I didn't see it because I know his story already. I want a film - crude subject or not about a black story that I have not read about or know about already. How about an original slavery story? (I enjoyed Django) How about an original story on lesser known black leaders, Evers? Hampton? Newton? Angela Davis? 

What about a movie on well known fiction books written by black authors? Invisible Man? Native son? Between the world and me? 

My complaints lie mostly in the lack of originality than the brutality of slavery, which imo if you are going to tell the american negro story, slavery is implied in the story not the entire story.

Last edited:
Well I contest these movies just being made to educate white ppl. They inform and partially entertain others as well. There's a spectrum of other emtions as well that anybody who loves good cinema would want to experience.

The whole education part is there are plenty ignorant white ppl on this topic. Plenty who were never educated on (word to Southern schools trying to rewrite history to make slaves out to be no different than illegal immigrant laborers and that the civil war was about state's rights). Peep this current season of real world, shorty no older than 22 dumb, ignorant and racist as ****, raised by racosts, got racist friends, and suffers from domestic abuse. Now yeah you might say those ppl won't watch but it happens every now and then. White ppl always got a story about whether it was Amistad, Roots, Glory, etc. that made them learn something or opened their eyes to something they should've learned in school.

I get what you're saying about reading those books, slave narratoves, abiolitionist biographies. I've read some for school and because I wanted to myself but we know how it is today, ppl ain't reading books like that. Sometimes watching the show/movie can get ppl to to seek out those books. Plus there's a lot to say about the experience of watching a film in a theater and on a smaller scale, television has the same affect.

Some of what's going on in here is like an American vet complaining every time a war movie is made of a former PIW posses about a war movie dealing with POWs claiming Hollywood loves to remind America about the unjust wars they've started and remindingnsoldiers of how they were captured and tortured. These movies matter.

Plus as far as I'm concerned white guilt should never go away. The more of it the better. On some 9/11 #NeverForget steez.

Last edited:
I ain't watched a slave movie or show in years. 12 years a slave and all the other joints, ain't eem watch em. Gonna check out the nat Turner joint tho.

Back
Top Bottom