rough start at the university of oregon

Sorry if a post like this already exists, i haven't been on NT for while now but anyways, I'm a freshman at the University of Oregon (Im from los angeles) and im struggling. First of all the party and night life has been super weak :/ . The frats are dry and they dont throw a lot of parties anyways. Most of the parties are house parties and there just not fun everyone is super baked or drunk and its hard to talk to people for more than 10 mins. I go to the football games and those are probably the most fun things to do. I came here with my best friend who is a girl, and one night things got way to far!!!, so things have became awkward and were drifting apart
frown.gif
I know i have to make the best of things but its  becoming to hard for me. Is it easy to transfer to a UC school or like USC from here? if so what gpa or other requirements do you think i need?

Thanks for reading happy Halloween!!! ( p.s. come on who gives a midterm the day after Halloween SMH)

Is it easy to transfer to a UC school or like USC from here? if so what gpa or other requirements do you think i need?

not really

stick it out though. you'll find where you fit in eventually.

inb4 everyone's advice is to just blaze and kick it
laugh.gif

I'm on the same boat. I'm a soph. at IU (Indiana University) and I'm ready for a change. Almost did too much partying and got into some trouble but still maintained to get decent grades (3.0).

I'm looking into going to Syracuse using my mom's benefits for her job I could attend there for free upon getting admitted. OP I don't know exactly how difficult it is to get into a UC school or USC but it's never too late to start looking. Look at sites such as collegeprowler.com and look at reviews and what not. Do as much research as you can if you're really sincere about the move. But hey, it's only your freshman year!

Originally Posted by Kobe jordan

Most of the parties are house parties and there just not fun everyone is super baked or drunk and its hard to talk to people for more than 10 mins. 

whats wrong with that? this is college...thats what a party is 

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

Originally Posted by Kobe jordan

Most of the parties are house parties and there just not fun everyone is super baked or drunk and its hard to talk to people for more than 10 mins. 

whats wrong with that? this is college...thats what a party is 
i wanna really party and dance, not just have people in the corner high out mind just creepin or drunk fool just laying down on the front lawn....dont get me wrong i drink and smoke too

First and foremost, the party and nightlife should be the least of your concerns -- especially if you are having a rough start in your academic and/or social life. You're there to learn, not to party. But, a word of advice, get a strong group of friends before you even try to go to parties. You're a freshman, so of course you aren't going to know of the best parties. At least, not yet. You have to meet people, make good impressions, and get invited out to functions. That, or throw your own. But, you're in no position to do that.

Following your friend to school was mistake #1. You should have chosen a school that you felt would cater to your needs as a student, to not only stimulate you on an intellectual level, but to also help you form a network and expose you to opportunities that you would not have otherwise. But, you're there now, and you might as well make the best of it for however long you're there. I'll compile a short list of things I would do if I were in your shoes.

1. Stop focusing on partying/socializing and start focusing on your grades. If you have anything less than a 3.0, you aren't doing something right, and you need to rework your strategy.

2. Once you have your academics in check, work on getting gathering a nice social circle. Don't befriend people who only party, because more than likely that's all you'll find yourself doing. Likewise, don't befriend people who live in the library and only study. Make your circle as diverse as possible.

3. Things pop off with female friends all the time, bruh. You can either try to fix your relationship, or focus on your future. I'll leave that decision up to you because I really can't speak on your feelings towards her, or what your relationship is like with her. But, chances are if things went too far, one of the two of you wanted them too. If you want to date her, stop waiting to take the initiative and ask her out. If you don't want to, let her know that what happened was a mistake and try to make your friendship stronger because of it.

4. It's pretty difficult to transfer in the first place, ESPECIALLY if your grades aren't in order. GPA "requirements" vary between school to school, but having a low one certainly doesn't help, so try to get that in order ASAP. Once that's on the rise, explore your options and try not to let the first half of your first semester determine if you like Oregon or not. Stay for the remainder of the academic year. Then decide if you want to continue there or not over the summer, when you'll have more time to weigh your options and explore other potential routes.

Good luck young man. Hope this helps.

So let me get this straight you've been feeling this "friend" of yours for years, follow her to college...finally make your move and she hits you with a stiff arm & you're saltly now you wanna run back home?

Or you wanna transfer schools because you wanna dance?

Originally Posted by Executive76

So let me get this straight you've been feeling this "friend" of yours for years, follow her to college...finally make your move and she hits you with a stiff arm & you're saltly now you wanna run back home?

Or you wanna transfer schools because you wanna dance?
laugh.gif

homie first of all, shes was a little sister to me, when i got surgery of my leg this summer she would over all the time taking care of me, i never expected this to happen and she feels the same way
2nd, it was mostly her doing bro
3rd, i like to have fun im my night,  dance with pretty girls meet people not just be a lame bro who just acts hard in the corner of a party with his friends

what dorm are you in? im a senior here. i have way more fun than you do. you've been here for a month and half mane, theres plenty of time for things to change/get better . try finding some new people to kick it with, maybe youre just rolling with the wrong crowd. but most importantly, live it up. time is going to start flying by and college is an extremely unique time in your life so just make sure you take full advantage of it. you might be hitting a rough spot now but all it takes is meeting one cool girl, one new homie, anything like that for everything to change. 
and don't rely on frats for parties man. they are weak. theres a reason theyre dry and theres a reason no one really messes with them besides frat boys.

freshman year is always a little awkward. just remember that everyone is in the same boat as you so everyone is open minded to just kick it and have fun regardless of who you are. and plenty of girls will be down to have sex with you no matter how lame you are.  any q

Originally Posted by soltheman

First and foremost, the party and nightlife should be the least of your concerns -- especially if you are having a rough start in your academic and/or social life. You're there to learn, not to party. But, a word of advice, get a strong group of friends before you even try to go to parties. You're a freshman, so of course you aren't going to know of the best parties. At least, not yet. You have to meet people, make good impressions, and get invited out to functions. That, or throw your own. But, you're in no position to do that.

Following your friend to school was mistake #1. You should have chosen a school that you felt would cater to your needs as a student, to not only stimulate you on an intellectual level, but to also help you form a network and expose you to opportunities that you would not have otherwise. But, you're there now, and you might as well make the best of it for however long you're there. I'll compile a short list of things I would do if I were in your shoes.

1. Stop focusing on partying/socializing and start focusing on your grades. If you have anything less than a 3.0, you aren't doing something right, and you need to rework your strategy.

2. Once you have your academics in check, work on getting gathering a nice social circle. Don't befriend people who only party, because more than likely that's all you'll find yourself doing. Likewise, don't befriend people who live in the library and only study. Make your circle as diverse as possible.

3. Things pop off with female friends all the time, bruh. You can either try to fix your relationship, or focus on your future. I'll leave that decision up to you because I really can't speak on your feelings towards her, or what your relationship is like with her. But, chances are if things went too far, one of the two of you wanted them too. If you want to date her, stop waiting to take the initiative and ask her out. If you don't want to, let her know that what happened was a mistake and try to make your friendship stronger because of it.

4. It's pretty difficult to transfer in the first place, ESPECIALLY if your grades aren't in order. GPA "requirements" vary between school to school, but having a low one certainly doesn't help, so try to get that in order ASAP. Once that's on the rise, explore your options and try not to let the first half of your first semester determine if you like Oregon or not. Stay for the remainder of the academic year. Then decide if you want to continue there or not over the summer, when you'll have more time to weigh your options and explore other potential routes.

thanks man this is really helpful..i appreciate that you took the time to write this

Originally Posted by o fenomeno

what dorm are you in? im a senior here. i have way more fun than you do. you've been here for a month and half mane, theres plenty of time for things to change/get better . try finding some new people to kick it with, maybe youre just rolling with the wrong crowd. but most importantly, live it up. time is going to start flying by and college is an extremely unique time in your life so just make sure you take full advantage of it. you might be hitting a rough spot now but all it takes is meeting one cool girl, one new homie, anything like that for everything to change. 
and don't rely on frats for parties man. they are weak. theres a reason theyre dry and theres a reason no one really messes with them besides frat boys.

freshman year is always a little awkward. just remember that everyone is in the same boat as you so everyone is open minded to just kick it and have fun regardless of who you are. and plenty of girls will be down to have sex with you no matter how lame you are.  any q
hahah im all the way in barnhart,,,hey man i really wanna meet up with you sometime

smh, suck it up and make the best of it
mad people can't go to school for various reasons and yet you're here complaining

Originally Posted by soltheman

What this guy said. Also, you're in Eugene. It's the hippie capitol of the world. Everyone is stoned out of their minds there, so get over it.

In regards to partying, a "dry" campus only means the cops can't see you drinking at the fraternity house. And because the houses are technically private property, the cops can't come in (it's a weird situation, it's private property, but the university can take control because of school affiliation...but they need a reason). They drink in frats all the time. The parties you want to be at are the ones that are located at the live-out houses. Rules don't apply there because they are independent residences. Every fraternity has at least one rented house where they throw parties. That's where you want to be if you want a real frat party.

Drive up to Corvallis if you want to party. Personally, I've always had more fun partying at UO, but if you arent, give the other college a shot. Also, it's been a month and a half. And you're a freshman. Go riot like last years crop of frosh did.

I also hated college as a freshman, then I pledged a fraternity...

Originally Posted by megatron

smh, suck it up and make the best of it
mad people can't go to school for various reasons and yet you're here complaining

!!!!

laugh.gif
i try to keep NT away from real life...
but i do have a hot tub and bball court @ my house. maybe ill throw a summit for all the eugene kids. maybe not.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom