*SERIOUS* HOMELESS, MILITARY SERVICE Questions (decent read)

U not gettin in the air force,  were over manned by 5000 people. We kickin people out for the littlest thing now, better try the navy

Don't join the marines.... If you have doubts b4 u get there ur done... Go chair force , their bootcamp is a cakewAlk...

i'm def not joining the marines. i was looking at their 12 week HELL ON EARTH manual and I dont see me being able to go through that and still have peace of mind. So I guess it's up to the Navy and Army and wow at the Air Force I was wondering why they didn't call me back as of yet... this is strange. over manned by 5000 that's OD

The navy is a good branch to join, and the bootcamp isn't that hard, and you'll most likely be sent to Chicago for the bootcamp. it's a bunch of marching and what not, but im sure you'll be able to get through it man, Goodluck.

Originally Posted by Fox5Kobe

Originally Posted by SUCKAFREE85

I mean.. If you sign up, don't be afraid to go overseas to Iraq/Afghanistan.

yeah, that's why the army is third on my list. i'm not trying to deal with that Iraq/Afghanistan stuff right now. It's just too much for me to handle. I'm trying to get in and do my job without the extra curricular stuff I feel it'll be way to early for me to even go overseas to spots like that

I'm in the Navy and Ive been in for 9 years.  It doesnt matter what branch of the service you go in to.  If you join the service expect to go to Iraq or Afghanistan.  There are plenty of Sailors and Airmen who are getting pulled from their jobs to serve in over there.  The thing is the military is (kind of) overmanned.  Esp. in the Navy and in the Air Force, promotion is real tight and it depends on what job you choose to go into. The best thing to do is to start it out is take your ASVAB test (if you havent done it yet).   This test will determine what "jobs" you are qualified to have.  You cant just walk in to a recruiting office and expect to get EVERYTHING that you want.  Like someone mentioned earlier, the recruiters are picking who they want to send off or keep on the waiting list.

i'd say join the air force if you can, though idk about providing shelter. i don't know how my friends are getting in, but i know a few people that are deployed in the air force already and i'm sure it hasn't even been a year yet. don't give up though, call them back if you can...

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

You're 25, though...
grin.gif

Word my pops joined the Navy @ 27 because his first child was on the way and he had to do better.

He served 20 years and now makes six figures as a gvt contractor PLUS his retirement money.

,Though.

My-T.

From what i was told today. Our troops are coming back from Iraq and Afghan in August... does that mean they are still sending troops over there? Also, have any of you guys lived in the barracks how was it... dudes didn't still play video games did they?

Originally Posted by MyTsharp

ATLien Seeko said:
You're 25, though...
grin.gif

Word my pops joined the Navy @ 27 because his first child was on the way and he had to do better.

He served 20 years and now makes six figures as a gvt contractor PLUS his retirement money.

,Though.

My-T.

did he have to serve 20 years in order to make 6 figures though?

From what i was told today. Our troops are coming back from Iraq and Afghan in August... does that mean they are still sending troops over there? Also, have any of you guys lived in the barracks how was it... dudes didn't still play video games did they?
Every post's barracks are different. And yes when you're at Basic, your DS will have a PS3 and Xbox360 in their office and be on that all day.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Every post's barracks are different. And yes when you're at Basic, your DS will have a PS3 and Xbox360 in their office and be on that all day.

I'm wondering. I'm trying not to think too much about the hard ships and harsh things that come with being in the military, but I was curious if after basic and during the years do these guys lose their fun for entertainment since they need to be soldiers. I just wrote on yahooanswers.com and someone told me they felt I was joining because of the benefits... mind you in my situation i'm currently in it's either be homeless or push myself to the limit... which would you choose?

man u are 25 years old stop being scared and man up! u sound like a big baby! ive been in the air force for 4 years since i was 18 yrs old.

Originally Posted by kingofthesouthga

man u are 25 years old stop being scared and man up! u sound like a big baby! ive been in the air force for 4 years since i was 18 yrs old.

military isn't for everybody. at least he's smart enough to ask questions and try to get a glimpse of what he's getting himself into. a lot of people realize the military isn't for them too late.

i've always wanted to join the marines, but due to personal stuff I can't.

Originally Posted by kingofthesouthga

homie, im not tryna sound like a baby. i mean im 25 years old... who wouldn't be scared of war. how you saying man up when my situation isn't preparing me to man up. im working from the ground up right now.. im just looking for opinions for dudes that been in the service or looking to get into it... im preparing my mind for all that comes with the territory.

roll.gif
at some of these replies

If you want to work with computer seriously join the Navy...only thing is you will go on a ship...

I'm in the Army and IMO, it seems like you should enlist in the Air Force. And yes, they ARE turning people away because too many people want to enlist because of the economy and unemployment rate. Get a high ASVAB score and you'll pretty much be "qualified" for anything you want. However, there may not be an open slot for that job. And don't be afraid to go to war. Nowadays, it seems that if you're in the service you'll go at least once. No worries when you do, just look out for yourself and your battles. 
The Air Force has a much higher quality of life. I live close to Travis AFB and it's like freakin' college there. The Army, on the other hand, be ready to share cots with 59 other guys. If you have some college credits, you may go in as an E-2 or E-3, NOT an E-4 like some of these dudes telling you. Going in as an E-4 requires a college degree. I went in as an E-3. When you see a recruiter, just remember it's your life and try not to get shafted. 

Seriously its pretty hard gettin in the air-force since were overmanned  5320 people. I know 5 people gettin kicked out just because of their EPR, go join the navy fam. Hell i been in 5 years, not even sure its worth stayin in the military, rather work 9-5.  I work 16 hours shifts 4 days a week, bein in the air-force.

Where did you go where you had to room with 59 guys? Ft Drum? I heard they make you room with a bunch of people, even in the barracks.

I think you should go ahead and try to get in. You seem to be lacking in direction right now as far as what you want to do and either branch can give you that. Then you have the benefits which I am sure you have looked into already. And another they're not going to list on the brochure is $@$!*, females love an Army dude. Like literally, just getting off the plane with the Class A's on and they'll be throwing the vjj at you, especially underaged high school broads.

Regardless of what MOS you go into, you will likely have a job after you get out. Besides companies having preference for signing ex Military guys, worse comes to worse most dudes just get a job at their same unit doing the same thing they were doing in the Army, except now as a Civilian or Contractor.

Then you will obviously have health care, GI Bill for college, and Military cities do a lot for soldiers. 20% off at most stores in the mall, there's always like "Military night" at AppleBee's or something, Sea World and Disney World you can get a free ticket, automatically approved credit (this one can get you in trouble too) at many places

I'm 25, was a Military brat (dependent) and a thinking about maybe going ahead and enlisting at some point. I'm not really getting as much out of my degree as I thought, it'll give me a chance to start over.

Been in the AF for just over 4 years now. Probably one of the best choices I've ever made in my life. I think there is a common misconception that the military life style is substandard when it comes to things like pay, quality of life, etc. I'm here to say as far as the AF is concern that this is a myth. When you consider all the things the gov. pays for ( 100% college tuition, rent, food, clothing, med bills. etc) you have more income then most people at that age/experience in the civilian world. As far as "hardships" , I'd say about 70% of the job in the AF are just like regular 9 to 5-Monday-through-Friday civilian jobs, the only difference is that you wear a uniform to work and you have to follow some rules. Considering the benefits I listed above, I'd say this is a fair trade off.

As for " do military folks lose their fun for entertainment" question I'd say no. You can do everything a regular person can with the exception of drugs and other criminal activity.

To address your living situation question, normally Airmen who aren't married and don't have any kids lives in the dorms. (That should give you a hint on the quality of AF life, we live in dorms while other services live in Barracks and ships ) Actually dorm life is decent. I've actually had some of the best times in my life as a young cat in the dorms. It's like the whole college experience with out the school and with the addition of having $ in your pocket. Normally once you reach your Senior Airmen mark or 3 years time in service they give you the option to move off base. With your college credits you'd come in as a E-3, so you'd be looking @ about a year in the dorms. After that you get a monthly housing allowance and you can move off base. I'm getting about 1k a month now for mine.

My only advice is to talk to your recruiter and get a guaranteed job you want to do - and not be talked into "Open General" b/c they can put you where ever they want. Check out about.com they have a pretty good description of the different career fields.

Hope this helps, ask if you have any more Qs.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Where did you go where you had to room with 59 guys? Ft Drum? I heard they make you room with a bunch of people, even in the barracks.

I think you should go ahead and try to get in. You seem to be lacking in direction right now as far as what you want to do and either branch can give you that. Then you have the benefits which I am sure you have looked into already. And another they're not going to list on the brochure is $@$!*, females love an Army dude. Like literally, just getting off the plane with the Class A's on and they'll be throwing the vjj at you, especially underaged high school broads.

Regardless of what MOS you go into, you will likely have a job after you get out. Besides companies having preference for signing ex Military guys, worse comes to worse most dudes just get a job at their same unit doing the same thing they were doing in the Army, except now as a Civilian or Contractor.

Then you will obviously have health care, GI Bill for college, and Military cities do a lot for soldiers. 20% off at most stores in the mall, there's always like "Military night" at AppleBee's or something, Sea World and Disney World you can get a free ticket, automatically approved credit (this one can get you in trouble too) at many places

I'm 25, was a Military brat (dependent) and a thinking about maybe going ahead and enlisting at some point. I'm not really getting as much out of my degree as I thought, it'll give me a chance to start over.

I went to Ft. Jackson in South Carolina.
And you pretty much summed it up with the benefits of being in service.

Originally Posted by Cfranchise26

Seriously its pretty hard gettin in the air-force since were overmanned  5320 people. I know 5 people gettin kicked out just because of their EPR, go join the navy fam. .

This dude has no clue what he's talking about, ignore him.

Originally Posted by SUCKAFREE85

I mean.. If you sign up, don't be afraid to go overseas to Iraq/Afghanistan.

yeah, that's why the army is third on my list. i'm not trying to deal with that Iraq/Afghanistan stuff right now. It's just too much for me to handle. I'm trying to get in and do my job without the extra curricular stuff I feel it'll be way to early for me to even go overseas to spots like that
i think if you join the coast guard the worst place you get sent to is alaska...it beats deadly warfare

Originally Posted by Wordy Dirts

Seriously its pretty hard gettin in the air-force since were overmanned  5320 people. I know 5 people gettin kicked out just because of their EPR, go join the navy fam. .

Please explain on how i have no clue

Wordy Dirts wrote:

Cfranchise26 wrote:

People are always leaving service for various reasons so they have to keep people coming in. People are always get promoted, so they will always need more E-1, E-2 and E-3's as they are promoted to E-4. In January it was announced that the AF is cutting 3000 airman through denial of reenlistment, and retiring some officers and snco's early. Basically they are trying to keep the cream of the crop, if you aren't cuttin it, then they are lettin you go. That's probably what happen to your friends. Recently they have become more selective in who they allow to enlist but trust me when I say we aren't overmanned.

Originally Posted by Wordy Dirts

Wordy Dirts wrote:

Cfranchise26 wrote:

People are always leaving service for various reasons so they have to keep people coming in. People are always get promoted, so they will always need more E-1, E-2 and E-3's as they are promoted to E-4. In January it was announced that the AF is cutting 3000 airman through denial of reenlistment, and retiring some officers and snco's early. Basically they are trying to keep the cream of the crop, if you aren't cuttin it, then they are lettin you go. That's probably what happen to your friends. Recently they have become more selective in who they allow to enlist but trust me when I say we aren't overmanned.
True my friends are gettin kicked out because of force shaping  having articles and 3 epr's, and  you are right with the air-force being very selective of who they take in. But honestly in a way Air-Force is overmanned

"Fellow Airmen:

Secretary Donley and I are proud of the tremendous contributions you make every day to secure our nation. We recognize and appreciate the sacrifices that are asked of you and your family. Now, the Secretary and I must make a difficult decision for the health of the Air Force family.

Air Force retention is at a 15-year high, despite an incredibly robust operations tempo. We are nearly 5,000 Airmen above our authorized, funded end strength ceiling. Career fields are overmanned in certain year groups, while at the same time, we have critical manning shortages in some of our most stressed career fields and mission areas. We must correct these overages and skill imbalances by sizing and shaping our force within our authorized, funded ceiling.

As you know, in November 2009 we offered a variety of voluntary measures aimed at reducing personnel numbers. Unfortunately, not enough people took advantage of those programs. Thus we had to make the tough decision to move forward on a plan to shrink the active duty force by almost 3 percent. Although it will be a challenging time, our goal is to minimize the impact on Airmen currently serving. We are reducing accessions for both officers and enlisted Airmen while expanding voluntary separation and retirement programs to try and protect those currently serving. Where possible, we will cross-flow Airmen from overmanned career fields into those that are undermanned, and, where appropriate, we will implement involuntary measures.

More information on this multi-tiered force management effort is available on the Air Force Personnel Center website. Voluntary programs will allow personnel to leave the service immediately; non-voluntary programs will start this summer with departures targeted for no later than April 2011. I encourage all of you to go to the AFPC website and review the programs that may impact you and your families.

Please know the Secretary and I have carefully considered every option, but in the end, arrived at the conclusion that these force management initiatives are necessary. We must operate within our means. Our commitment – and the commitment of leadership at all levels – is that we will do everything we can to assist those transitioning to the next phase of their careers.

NORTON A. SCHWARTZ
General, USAF
Chief of Staff" 

Back
Top Bottom