*SERIOUS* HOMELESS, MILITARY SERVICE Questions (decent read)

Originally Posted by Wordy Dirts

Originally Posted by Cfranchise26

Wordy Dirts wrote:

Cfranchise26 wrote:

Seriously its pretty hard gettin in the air-force since were overmanned  5320 people. I know 5 people gettin kicked out just because of their EPR, go join the navy fam. .

This dude has no clue what he's talking about, ignore him.

Please explain on how i have no clue

People are always leaving service for various reasons so they have to keep people coming in. People are always get promoted, so they will always need more E-1, E-2 and E-3's as they are promoted to E-4. In January it was announced that the AF is cutting 3000 airman through denial of reenlistment, and retiring some officers and snco's early. Basically they are trying to keep the cream of the crop, if you aren't cuttin it, then they are lettin you go. That's probably what happen to your friends. Recently they have become more selective in who they allow to enlist but trust me when I say we aren't overmanned.
Its pretty much the same thing in the Navy, I'm not sure what they call in the AF but we call it HYT (high-year tenure) in the Navy.  It means if you are E3 and below and can not make E4 in in 6 years, you're getting kicked out.  E4 needs to make E5 in 8 years and E5 needs to make E6 in 14.  If you somehow can not make the promotion because of low scores, eval, ETC...then the Navy will Administratively Separate you from the service.

IMO.  If you study and work your &*^ like youre suppose to you should be able to make these requirements.  Also as far as re-enlisting the Navy also became very picky when i comes to letting people re-enlist.  like the dude mentioned above me, they are trying to get rid of the dirtbags and want to keep the best sailors. 

(Basic pay is the same across the board no matter what service you're in) check out this link to see the military base pay http://usmilitary.about.c...charts/a/basicpayenl.htm
the numbers might look a little low, but it depends on where you are you get extra incentives and bonuses on top of that pay.  In SD, I can get housing allowance, subsistence allowance, sea pay, special duty pay, flight deck pay...etc. 

But again the military is not for everybody. 

smh at people joining the military just for the benefit but not for the main purpose of being in the military. Afraid of war ? then why you even bother joining smh . No wonder the Army and Navy are filled with lames

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

smh at people joining the military just for the benefit but not for the main purpose of being in the military. Afraid of war ? then why you even bother joining smh . No wonder the Army and Navy are filled with lames

okay, the system offers GOOD BENEFITS. we all know that... everyone JOINS for different reasons. My reason is obvious and clear. I mean I have to do something with my life and I'm thinking that it's going to start here.

Benefits, shelter, food, getting back in shape, money

CONS: going to war... but i've been shot at in the hood while trying to earn my college degree. I know yeah its different on the battlefield but hey war happens in different formats... I was just in a war of love with my girlfriend for 6 years. things haven't been going right and yeah i blame myself for it... now i'm going to attempt to make up for it and like i said before I'd def rather join a service than live in a homeless shelter for 2 or more years.. i don't see the sense in that when I can clearly do SOMETHING with my life like right NOW

You honestly sound way too depressed to make a huge decision like this. Get happy first homie, then if it's something you are still thinking about, join up.

Originally Posted by Wordy Dirts

Been in the AF for just over 4 years now. Probably one of the best choices I've ever made in my life. I think there is a common misconception that the military life style is substandard when it comes to things like pay, quality of life, etc. I'm here to say as far as the AF is concern that this is a myth. When you consider all the things the gov. pays for ( 100% college tuition, rent, food, clothing, med bills. etc) you have more income then most people at that age/experience in the civilian world. As far as "hardships" , I'd say about 70% of the job in the AF are just like regular 9 to 5-Monday-through-Friday civilian jobs, the only difference is that you wear a uniform to work and you have to follow some rules. Considering the benefits I listed above, I'd say this is a fair trade off.

As for " do military folks lose their fun for entertainment" question I'd say no. You can do everything a regular person can with the exception of drugs and other criminal activity.

To address your living situation question, normally Airmen who aren't married and don't have any kids lives in the dorms. (That should give you a hint on the quality of AF life, we live in dorms while other services live in Barracks and ships ) Actually dorm life is decent. I've actually had some of the best times in my life as a young cat in the dorms. It's like the whole college experience with out the school and with the addition of having $ in your pocket. Normally once you reach your Senior Airmen mark or 3 years time in service they give you the option to move off base. With your college credits you'd come in as a E-3, so you'd be looking @ about a year in the dorms. After that you get a monthly housing allowance and you can move off base. I'm getting about 1k a month now for mine.

My only advice is to talk to your recruiter and get a guaranteed job you want to do - and not be talked into "Open General" b/c they can put you where ever they want. Check out about.com they have a pretty good description of the different career fields.

Hope this helps, ask if you have any more Qs.

In the Air Force also and I co-sign on everything he said.

I
ts pretty much the same thing in the Navy, I'm not sure what they call in the AF but we call it HYT (high-year tenure) in the Navy. It means if you are E3 and below and can not make E4 in in 6 years, you're getting kicked out. E4 needs to make E5 in 8 years and E5 needs to make E6 in 14. If you somehow can not make the promotion because of low scores, eval, ETC...then the Navy will Administratively Separate you from the service.

HYT for the Air Force:

E-4 - 12 years
E-5 - 20 years
E-6 - 24 years
E-7 - 26 years
E-8 - 28 years
E-9 - 30 years

Just pinned on E-5 so technically I can retire at this rank, but I'm not a dirtbag and do want to move up the ranks so....

I joined the air force last year and I was the same age as you. It may be a tad bit difficult, as mentioned. If you go Reserve (which I did) expect the sign up process to take a while; active duty is a lot faster.

The higher your asvab score, the higher your chances are of getting in sooner than later. Having college credits will get you in as an E3 (I don't know where these cats are getting this E4 stuff from
laugh.gif
)

The length of your tech school (where you go after basic training) depends on what job you choose. Mine was 7 weeks. All in all, it's a good decision. The Air Force definitely looks out for its people.

Like others said before, if you joined, keep in mind that there is a pretty good chance that you will get deployed.

Back
Top Bottom