settle an argument, do you consider damn a cuss word?

rufusmac23

Banned
hell no
nerd.gif

i dont say it around my moms, and i dont allow the kids at my work to say it so yes its a cuss word.

Maybe in the era of Quakers but we've focused and gave power to other silly curse words.

BTW I hate the word "cuss"

Let's just put it like this... there are very few authentic CURSE words... "damn" is definitely one of them. Words like "eff you see
nerd.gif
" and "be eye tee etc" are not CURSE words. They are just profanity. Profanity is an arbitrary classification that could be given toany word.. for example, the word ch!nk could simply mean "knot". But as a profane word, well.. you already know. But a CURSE word has a specificpurpose. It is meant to provoke spiritual or physical displeasure. So "Damn you!" literally means "go to hell". Both of those pieces ofprofanity are curses.

I don't think I use it all the time around my parents and its the only one I'll ever use

nope. I remember I got sent to the principal's office in 3rd grade for saying "hell" and "damn".
indifferent.gif

i don'r consider it a curse
but for old heads its boarder line.
basically its the intro to you about to curse and wild out.

Originally Posted by DearWinter219

Let's just put it like this... there are very few authentic CURSE words... "damn" is definitely one of them. Words like "eff you see
nerd.gif
" and "be eye tee etc" are not CURSE words. They are just profanity. Profanity is an arbitrary classification that could be given to any word.. for example, the word ch!nk could simply mean "knot". But as a profane word, well.. you already know. But a CURSE word has a specific purpose. It is meant to provoke spiritual or physical displeasure. So "Damn you!" literally means "go to hell". Both of those pieces of profanity are curses.
thats actually an excellent explanation, props

Originally Posted by DearWinter219

nerd.gif
" and "be eye tee etc" are not CURSE words. They are just profanity. Profanity is an arbitrary classification that could be given to any word.. for example, the word ch!nk could simply mean "knot". But as a profane word, well.. you already know. But a CURSE word has a specific purpose. It is meant to provoke spiritual or physical displeasure. So "Damn you!" literally means "go to hell". Both of those pieces of profanity are curses.

This dude got all scientific with it
laugh.gif

But yeah. I don't consider it a curse word.

Back
Top Bottom