Shady Shoe Store Employees - Can we stop it?

I work part time at FTL just for my shoes and my discount, sorry if that offends anyone, but I did what it took to make sure I got what I wanted.  I'm 35 with a wife and two boys so I damn sure don't have time to be camping for shoes, plus, my wife would kick my *** if I told her..." Babe, I'm gonna go spend the night in the mall so I can get some shoes".  I understand where you're coming from, OP, but those are the perks of the job, so to speak.  Do people abuse it??  Sure they do but that's up to the store mgr's and DM's to get their employees under control.  Not saying what I did is for everyone but if you want to get your shoes without having to hunt and do homework, go get a PT gig and put in 10-15 hours a week.  It'll be more than worth it in the end.

For getting $8/hr or whatever shoe store employees I think its fair for them to get their shoes. That's one of the reason most of them work at the damn shoe store in the first place or getting a discount. Problem ain't the shoe stores. Problem is Nike making limited qualities. Plain and simple.

Until this is addressed there will continue to be shady dealings.

It will never be addressed because then they, Jordan Brand/Nike, would be losing out... but in the long run.

They have to make them limited and hard to get because if everyone had them on their feet then they would lose their luster and wouldn't be a hot and sought after item.

I'm not a hypebeast or a "limited sneaker purchaser" by any means so if they over supply I would still buy like how I normally do which is only OG colorways or decent Retro + colorways.

Nike didn't make it to where they are without making the right strageties throughout all these years.

You guys think oh they should just make enough where everyone gets a pair and then end up making more money as well as the the stores that sell them, but eventually people will stop buying them if they're widely available and not sought after. It's just the plain truth, and they, Nike, as a company knows exactly what they're doing.

Converse's, Reebok, Adidas are all widely availalbe but none of their stuff is sought after, well some here and there, like Nike's products and that's because the mystic, marketing, and all around stragety that Nike has... and has had for the past few decades.

It will never be addressed because then they, Jordan Brand/Nike, would be losing out... but in the long run.
They have to make them limited and hard to get because if everyone had them on their feet then they would lose their luster and wouldn't be a hot and sought after item.
I'm not a hypebeast or a "limited sneaker purchaser" by any means so if they over supply I would still buy like how I normally do which is only OG colorways or decent Retro + colorways.
Nike didn't make it to where they are without making the right strageties throughout all these years.
You guys think oh they should just make enough where everyone gets a pair and then end up making more money as well as the the stores that sell them, but eventually people will stop buying them if they're widely available and not sought after. It's just the plain truth, and they, Nike, as a company knows exactly what they're doing.
Converse's, Reebok, Adidas are all widely availalbe but none of their stuff is sought after, well some here and there, like Nike's products and that's because the mystic, marketing, and all around stragety that Nike has... and has had for the past few decades.
Thats true to a certain extend BUT those companies shoes dont have shoes that are XIs or Foams. Shoes that dont look like that. A extra 100,000 pairs of Spacejams or Concords wouldn't have hurt ANYONE

All these companies have to do is have multiple district and regional employees at their big stores in area releasing these shoes, I know it not realistic to have someone at every store.

It's only shoes.  You will live.  Get over it.  

As a business owner, you can run however you like and alienate as many customers as you want.  Unfortunately for the average consumer, you are powerless in this.  The one who actually has the power is Nike themselves in the amount the produce and also implementation of contractual agreements on how to release a shoe.  That's the tricky part.  How to enforce such a contract w/o actually witnessing release day.  Regardless,  if this place is shady like that, then as a consumer, do not give them your business.  

Last edited:
here's my advice:

don't buy these limited release sneakers anymore....period.

Do what I did: grow up and cop some asics.

bro you are 29, there should be bigger thinghs to be stressed over other than this, nothing you say or do will change how things are, resellers will continue to mob releases, store employees will always look out for themselves and their friends, if you have no connections, you'll either pay a ******** above retail or spend multiple nights online, so that at the end of the day you walk away with a pair of shoes that will sit in your closet and get worn 3 times a year if that.

Coming from someone who used to work at Finish Line, there's nothing you can do. At all. You can ask for the number to corporate but each time they'll tell you the complaint will be handled "at the manager's discretion." It's the main reason why we never sweat the customer no matter how out of pocket they got. And there's absolutely no way to prove that employees hold shoes for themselves. Especially limited releases. If the shoes are paid for in cash or with gift card you're ***** out. Pretty much how the game goes.

Im starting to believe these are troll accounts/threads. The OPs' of these sneaker complaint topics can't possibly be serious.

i used to have this BIG BOOTY chick at niketown
pimp.gif

had this redbone at HOH that was pretty as hell in the face too

of course i got chicks in the mall holdin me down as well

you dudes need to step your game up

here's my advice:
don't buy these limited release sneakers anymore....period.
Do what I did: grow up and cop some asics.
This is NikeTalk...   What else would we be here for if not to complain about things that aren't really important, buying shoes we don't "need" and hold on to something we loved since we were young?  

This is general, you're not going to get mature responses about sneakers here......OP u cant do anything about it, these sneaker employees are the kids that were picked on in school so giving them the power to hand out valuable sneakers boosts their egos and helps their poor self esteem...just pay reseller price, i'm sure you could afford it

i know when i worked at footlocker for the dmp 11/12 release was crazy, it was like 100 packages we had 15 employees so it was about 40 that was on hold already in for friends/family/workers/security for the release, so theres like 60 left and why that is when they cut that in half and sell one half at retail and one half at a marked up price and split the profit among the employee.. so idk what to tell you about what to do about em but spend mo money

As said many times before it's a perk that comes with the Job.. and when one looks at it in a full spectrum it is not that great of a perk.  To be able to secure your pair or a pair for family and friends what is the true benefit other than getting your pair some of the time? Look at the GMP release no employee purchases unless you entered the raffle as well (or so they say)

We all must realize that buying certain shoes for retail on release day has become the new Luxury.... only attainable by those who have the time, resources or connections to secure their pairs

The rest of us are stuck with local resellers or ebay... plain and simple.  Every job has its perks... some a whole lot better than others.  For example my wife is a labor and delivery nurse... If she delivers any of our children at the hospital she works at or any other hospital within the corporations network it is paid at a 90/10 basis. (the hospital pays 90% and we pay 10%).  I'm not referring to insurance coverage but the actually delivery.  If any of you have had a child born and got the horrendous bill you know how much it can be.  So does someone who does not work for the hospital have an arguement that they should receive the same benefits as my wife...... Yeah right.  Shoe Store employees do what they can and fit into our society just like everyone else...we all have something to contribute no matter how much we make at our jobs or what we do. 

In the end what you do for a Job doesn't define you as a person, but if we all had access to the benefits of each others jobs what kinda of balance would there be in this world...I don't work for a shoe store but I worked for footlocker back in the early 2000's and as low paying and high demand the job is, a sense of pride came with the fact that if the store gets a release i'll get my pair.  That sense of pride is still in every sneakerhead that gets a job at their local shoe store chain to cop kicks whether to collect or resale. 

Ultimately if you really want a shoe and can't get it for retail if you really want it you'll pay extra. 

Some of us have emotional connections to shoes...not even tied to MJ... not tied to today's hype, just tied to our past and good memories which is priceless.  Whenever I lace up my charcoal jordan retro nines i see the middle school kid in me that bought the originals  with my hard earned money from cutting grass as a child.  Yeah I paid over retail for them ... but can you put a price on that.... nope... How did I get from there to here.. easy you want the luxury get a job at a shoe store... if the salary can't support your lifestyle well get in line with the rest of us...hoping to by our kicks for retail... but ready to drop extra bread in a heartbeat if there's an emotion link to something positive or worth it in my past.

man my local FTL seems rigged they only doin raffles now and when i sign up for it it seemed very unprofessional i just write my name on a little card with my numbrr and size then they put it in a shoe box WTF????? is this some elementary school ish?

then they claim they will call the winner.... (yeah after you all get our pairs right?)

shady biz

Last edited:
If I really wanna shoe which is rare it's not that hard to get a pair. I don't know about other cities but in LA it's easy to get multiples. No connects needed.

I hate when people say,"dude grow up". Who cares if he is 29 and still loves to buy jordans, or even if he still likes to play pokemon. . . all you people who have miserable lifes always tell others to "GROW UP"

I can't even fathom on how could this be a genuine problem.

As long as you are resourceful, then you don't need to feel bad about being mistreated by those dickheads in those shoe store.

Last edited:
bro you are 29, there should be bigger thinghs to be stressed over other than this, nothing you say or do will change how things are, resellers will continue to mob releases, store employees will always look out for themselves and their friends, if you have no connections, you'll either pay a ******** above retail or spend multiple nights online, so that at the end of the day you walk away with a pair of shoes that will sit in your closet and get worn 3 times a year if that.

Welp...

DOESN'T MATTER MUCH TO ME. GUESS IT'S A PERK OF THE JOB BECAUSE FRANKLY WORKING AT A SHOE STORE MAKING WHAT THEY MAKE = FAIL AT LIFE TO ME. DON'T EVEN SEE HOW IT IS POSSIBLE TO SURVIVE OFF THAT INCOME.

Back
Top Bottom