+ shoe painting tips +

liquitex is real good... using the acetone mix
painted half of sl2's holds up good just don't do too thick of a layer otherwise it chips/tears off real quik

Most people claim that liquitex is a good paint to use. Personally I haven't used it. I emailed KVN about a month ago and asked him if he used it and he said no because it cracked. Every since then I've been trying to look for something else.

Did KVN mean it cracked when used straight out of the bottle? I think he might have meant that.

That's what I've been thinking about. I asked him did he use liquitex as his base paint but he simply replied "no, liquitex cracks". I'm not sure if he meant straight out of the bottle. Maybe he didn't understand my message.

I am not sure but I have a feeling that Meth and/or KVN use a paint maid specifically for leather and then they mix acetone, alcohol or whatever.

Because when I use liquitex or other acrylics I usually have to make multiple coats. If you look at close up pics of Meth's camoflague it looks like he only puts one layer for each spot of color.
ROCK CHALKJAYHAWK GO KU
My eBay Auctions

^^^ Thats a good point.

They do make leather paints, which are rather expensive though. Also, someone in the past mentioned about going to a autoshop and buying upholstry paint, and using it straight out of the bottle.

But if the paint is made specifically for leather, would u still have to mix in acetone? If anyone here has ever used leather paints and tried them out, share the results.

Thats a good point But i used this cheap paint called Decoart or something and i mixed acetone and alcohol in it and it held up really good.Thats why to tell you the truth i am not looking to try to make my own paint because it is no point..If it holds up good then whats the problem?..if it doesnt crack within ball play.whats the problem? you feel what im saying?

I would check your local art store like Michaels.

But online, you can get it at:
www.caning.com/dyes.html
(Thanx to whoever gave me this link b4)

They have 43 colors of leather paint, but it sells for roughly $2 per 1 oz. bottle

**update

I also came across Fiebing leather 'dyes' (are more like paint actually)
www.fiebing.com/Leathercr...efault.asp

I dont know how well they would work, but theyre formulated specifically for leather and shoes. They seem to have a wide selection of dyes and colors.

I also found a site regarding alot of leather work
www.siegelofca.com/html/ask4.html
She mentions using liquitex in that article, just thought it might be helpful to some

i used the liquatex and nailpolish remover mix and it still cracks after like 2-3 hours of wearing it..maybe even less....

im gonna try the delta ceramics, angelus and the fiebings.....does anyone if you have to mix the angelus or the fieblings with acetone or nailpolish remover or alcohol?
[/b]​

^^^^^^^^^^ I feel you I used this paint called Americana and on the back of the bottle it said it was formulated for Leather and Canvas so I got it. I used the lil alcohol mix and after a wear at school it was cracking. :frown:
frown.gif
I am gonna give the LIquetex a try to paint my friends Jordan 1's Ill get back to ya'll with the results.

I think we will get nowhere by assuming what paint Meth and Kvn use cuz we aint gonna figure out till they tel us so IT will always be a mystery
WHAT IS THE BEST BASE PAINT????
hOLLA aT cHA bOY

for the angelus and fiebing (fiebing esp.) i wouldnt think that you would have to mix acetone w/ it. I'd give it a try straight outta the bottle, and if it cracks, then mix in the acetone.

As of now, i think the best base paint is delta ceramics

The only other paint worth looking at is called Createx. This brand has a wide range of acrylic and airbrush paints that are suitable for leather and other synthetic fabrics. I actually think it may be better than Liquitex but then again I haven't tried it out yet. It was the base paint I was recently looking into and researching.

And oh yeah as for deciding whether or not to mix acetone/alcohol with certain paints, most paints or dyes made for this type of application already have it mixed in. Nu-Life shoe spray is an example.

This post should be archieved or sticky because it is helpful with alot of people trying to paint there kicks.

^^^agreed. Lilwang05, u might wanna edit the subject of this post to "Painting tips" or sumthing besides the original

i think it'd be good if we deleted all the unecessary posts/replies that don't contribute, and keep all the posts that give tips/information...

peace

Heres my pic. Im on my 3rd layer now. My paint doesnt look right on the shoe it just looks like a 6 year olds painting. What do I need to add use less of? More pics coming soon

Picture_009.jpg

Im from the city with the arch and Ima repit from North County to Forest Park knock a chick then steal some clothes from the lark then ill off all the forces I got

The paint on your swoosh looks bumpy, so smooth it out like etherNYC's guide says to.

Also, the paint itself doesnt look that bad, you just gotta take more time (trust me, it takes awhile) while painting your shoes.

My first pair of painted kicks looks like crap, in fact, they still do

Back
Top Bottom