SO I GOT BANNED FOR NOT TIPPING LOL

Sigh, machines already turning into Bender.
aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWRpYS50ZW5vci5jb20vYUl2R2J4eXFTNEFBQUFBZC9iZW5kZXItbW9uZXkuZ2lm.gif

Machine is literally built to do ONE thing and asking for tips. Wild time to be alive.

When do dashers find out how much they’re tipped? Guy that just delivered my food looked yelled back at me as I was walking up to the elevator and goes, “thanks bro, I really appreciate it” and tapped his chest with his hand. I didn’t even tip that much.

I always thought they knew ahead of time how much they were getting. Didn’t know it was a blind delivery.

Recently ate at a place that was pretty much ran like a large chain fast food place ( had to order at the counter, go sit and wait for my number to be called, fill my own drinks) the only difference is I couldn’t just leave my tray on the table as they have a sign that asked you to bus your own table.

I said all that to say this place still had the nerve , the unmitigated gall to still have a 20% and up tip calculated into the check!!!!
156584DF-6C71-4635-88D5-D0CEF8045924.gif

When do dashers find out how much they’re tipped? Guy that just delivered my food looked yelled back at me as I was walking up to the elevator and goes, “thanks bro, I really appreciate it” and tapped his chest with his hand. I didn’t even tip that much.

I always thought they knew ahead of time how much they were getting. Didn’t know it was a blind delivery.
One or both of them changed it to where they dont know until after they complete the delivery

Those getting tipped should NEVER know how much they are getting ahead of time.
Sounds good in principle, but seeing some of those tips beforehand can be rather disrespectful or demoralizing.

Tipping culture and etiquette is just tricky.

Last month I went to Kachka in Portland and I liked their policy of no tips, but a 22% service fee. They also have a starting pay of $25/hr, health insurance, and they share profits with their staff.

I would much prefer if every restaurant adopted this approach, but I’m not sure how realistic that is.

Kachka is very successful tho but you're still being charged a service fee which is basically charging customers for a tip because of the service provided. The service fee goes towards their ability to maintan them being able to pay their employees the $25 without being able to get tips.

There's just no room for a majority of restaurants due to overhead and costs. Factoring in small profit margins and inconsistent revenues makes it really tough for businesses to pay their employees more.

Labor is mainly the only thing a restaurant can control other than food so most places would rather just pay less than to reduce the quality of the food items but its nice to see places that go against that and the industry standard.

It's why you see so many people own multiple restaurants to really be successful. If you are just a one off restaurant that can't draw in the customer base, it's hard to warrant paying more for your employees.

The other problem is that there is just too many restaurants. Do we really need thousands of restaurants that essentially make and serve the same food? It just cuts into the profitabilty because as consumers, we have endless options to choose who we dine with.

As a consumer, I’m cool with service charges. I know how ****ty waiter’s pay can be so unless service is horrid, I usually do 20% minimum which some folks disagree with. I know it’s not “required” but I guess that is me assessing a service charge :lol: I have been going to a lot of restaurants with tasting menus lately but when I have to decide on what to order, I am not shy about asking about food recommendations, specials that may not be on the menu, drink recommendations (especially for pairings), etc. So beyond the fact that they are literally waiting on me they are also a valuable resource IMO. They're also people too and a lot of times can positively set the mood for the night. Unfortunately, not everyone views it that way.

I will say though, like many in here I hate that almost everywhere asks for a tip when paying these days. It’s annoying at places like coffee shops, bakeries, etc but if it’s somewhere that I’m a regular or mom and pop spot, I’ll leave a tip out of respect.

Back
Top Bottom