so i just graduated from college.........and then what?

Just graduated myself. Sent out a few resumes... kinda nervous about the future, don't know if I wanna go back to school either.

Wish the best of luck to everyone that graduated.
smile.gif

i have been applying to firms in mil and chi, and so far just been offered unpaid internships, i know the economy is tough but damn, a recent grad deserves to get paid. #yeezyshrug.

i have been applying to firms in mil and chi, and so far just been offered unpaid internships, i know the economy is tough but damn, a recent grad deserves to get paid. #yeezyshrug.

try the internships for a while and find a job with flexible hours

its really about experience

try the internships for a while and find a job with flexible hours

its really about experience

Where you going for graphic design?

I'm a graphic designer myself, I go to Columbia Chicago

-The Juice

-The Juice

graduated in june with an accounting degree.

i do freelance work for an internet marketing firm and i'm working on the development of my creative production company "lo.end.radio*" (currently operating as an independent music label).

i don't see this changing anytime too soon, except that i will probably drop the freelance work within the next couple years or so.

i live on my own, make my own schedule, and run my own company. i love my life.

"take care of your needs so you can pursue your wants."

the real world outside of college is EXACTLY WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT.

do what you want to do, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

get your money by whatever means, do what you love, and keep plotting towards a way to turn what you love into profit.

figure out the aspects of life that you'd rather do without, and constantly work towards eliminating them.

people make it harder than it is by not planning. life isn't a game, but it sure is easier when you treat it as such; at least there's rules to follow, goals to achieve.. so figure out what your rules are, what the point of the game is, and play to win.

good luck!

graduated in june with an accounting degree.

i do freelance work for an internet marketing firm and i'm working on the development of my creative production company "lo.end.radio*" (currently operating as an independent music label).

i don't see this changing anytime too soon, except that i will probably drop the freelance work within the next couple years or so.

i live on my own, make my own schedule, and run my own company. i love my life.

"take care of your needs so you can pursue your wants."

the real world outside of college is EXACTLY WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT.

do what you want to do, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

get your money by whatever means, do what you love, and keep plotting towards a way to turn what you love into profit.

figure out the aspects of life that you'd rather do without, and constantly work towards eliminating them.

people make it harder than it is by not planning. life isn't a game, but it sure is easier when you treat it as such; at least there's rules to follow, goals to achieve.. so figure out what your rules are, what the point of the game is, and play to win.

good luck!

Graduated in June 2010...was looking for jobs prior to graduation for a few months and had a couple of promising interviews at VERY random places. 
I studied Criminal Justice in college and had no idea what "career" I wanted to pursue. 

Landed an interview in July (month after graduating) at a leading global media company (advertising) through a friend. Actually one of my best friends growing up. So it's cool we work together.

Got the job...been here for almost 6 months now & loving every minute of it. 
My advice as a recent grad would be to really narrow your search if you gonna go straight into looking for work. 

Despite the state of our job market, especially in Cali, I didn't have problems getting interviews...but my struggle was after every interview I'd leave unenthusiastic and unsatisfied. I didn't wanna work in those places. I was picky and selective...turned down a couple of offers and waiting for something better not even knowing at the time if i should be. After all...who was I to turn down paying work when I didn't have anything else lined up? Well #%%#...I don't wanna end up working in HR. Not that there's anything wrong with it...just not my interest.

I consider myself extremely lucky to be where I am...considering im so young in life. Literally..the youngest person in our office. So no matter what cards you play...luck, fate, or whatever you wanna call it will play a factor. 

Now from the inside (of a workplace) looking out, I can tell you its seriously all about networking. Let your friends, families, teachers, mentors, Everybody know that you are in the market for a job and what you bring to the table. 

Don't be discouraged by plain numbers and how many other college grads there are out there. By graduating you achieved and lived the dream of millions of people in the world already. You're already part of that top 1% of the world. 

Just don't settle or shortchange yourself. No amount of $ is worth dreading going to work every day.

You wanna be at a place where you are excited every morning. Drive fast to work. 

If you wanna go the corporate route, no matter what line of work you are in...it's always good to start out at a big name place for the future of your career. But don't forget the small businesses that make up 75% of our economy. If you aren't picky, consider both.

And once you finally do land that job. Make sure you KILL it. Every workplace is different, but hard work is hard work. Let me be known, through your actions not your mouth, that you are an asset to the team. Make it clear why you should be working there as opposed to the OCEAN of able-bodied unemployed people out there. This applies to interviews too.

Do NOT go back to school unless your career-path or dream job requires it. Otherwise you are wasting precious time & money. Education is important, but school is only one facet. You say you are studying graphic design...do the schooling if you need it but don't go back to "wait out" the market. You wanna be a go-getter, not someone sitting on their *$# in a classroom waiting and hoping. Build a plan for yourself with goals, and do everything you can to reach it. 

Anyways, good luck to you! 

Graduated in June 2010...was looking for jobs prior to graduation for a few months and had a couple of promising interviews at VERY random places. 
I studied Criminal Justice in college and had no idea what "career" I wanted to pursue. 

Landed an interview in July (month after graduating) at a leading global media company (advertising) through a friend. Actually one of my best friends growing up. So it's cool we work together.

Got the job...been here for almost 6 months now & loving every minute of it. 
My advice as a recent grad would be to really narrow your search if you gonna go straight into looking for work. 

Despite the state of our job market, especially in Cali, I didn't have problems getting interviews...but my struggle was after every interview I'd leave unenthusiastic and unsatisfied. I didn't wanna work in those places. I was picky and selective...turned down a couple of offers and waiting for something better not even knowing at the time if i should be. After all...who was I to turn down paying work when I didn't have anything else lined up? Well #%%#...I don't wanna end up working in HR. Not that there's anything wrong with it...just not my interest.

I consider myself extremely lucky to be where I am...considering im so young in life. Literally..the youngest person in our office. So no matter what cards you play...luck, fate, or whatever you wanna call it will play a factor. 

Now from the inside (of a workplace) looking out, I can tell you its seriously all about networking. Let your friends, families, teachers, mentors, Everybody know that you are in the market for a job and what you bring to the table. 

Don't be discouraged by plain numbers and how many other college grads there are out there. By graduating you achieved and lived the dream of millions of people in the world already. You're already part of that top 1% of the world. 

Just don't settle or shortchange yourself. No amount of $ is worth dreading going to work every day.

You wanna be at a place where you are excited every morning. Drive fast to work. 

If you wanna go the corporate route, no matter what line of work you are in...it's always good to start out at a big name place for the future of your career. But don't forget the small businesses that make up 75% of our economy. If you aren't picky, consider both.

And once you finally do land that job. Make sure you KILL it. Every workplace is different, but hard work is hard work. Let me be known, through your actions not your mouth, that you are an asset to the team. Make it clear why you should be working there as opposed to the OCEAN of able-bodied unemployed people out there. This applies to interviews too.

Do NOT go back to school unless your career-path or dream job requires it. Otherwise you are wasting precious time & money. Education is important, but school is only one facet. You say you are studying graphic design...do the schooling if you need it but don't go back to "wait out" the market. You wanna be a go-getter, not someone sitting on their *$# in a classroom waiting and hoping. Build a plan for yourself with goals, and do everything you can to reach it. 

Anyways, good luck to you! 

you should have been applying for internships starting soph year, and you should have already sent out a ton of job apps and got responses way before you graduated.

it ain't a joke out there dog, you gotta be on top of your !**%.

you should have been applying for internships starting soph year, and you should have already sent out a ton of job apps and got responses way before you graduated.

it ain't a joke out there dog, you gotta be on top of your !**%.

Originally Posted by CaptinStabbin

-The Juice

I am also studying graphic design. In Mass though

Originally Posted by CaptinStabbin

-The Juice

I am also studying graphic design. In Mass though

Originally Posted by midwestRZN458

can you guys post what you did after graduating from college. i have a bachelor in marketing, and going back to school for graphic design. anyone have a sweet job right away?

A guy in my department ( IT ) has a marketing degree and got hired basically off his willingness to learn ....

I would take that into consideration when applying for jobs...don't feel so constricted...

Originally Posted by midwestRZN458

can you guys post what you did after graduating from college. i have a bachelor in marketing, and going back to school for graphic design. anyone have a sweet job right away?

A guy in my department ( IT ) has a marketing degree and got hired basically off his willingness to learn ....

I would take that into consideration when applying for jobs...don't feel so constricted...

Graduated in August and went 3 months until I found something. Currently work for a temp agency I found through Monster. Just finished a 2 week assignment but am currently interviewing for a 3 month assignment.

If you need money, look into temp work. It could always lead to something permanent but at the very least you'll be making some money, networking, and building your resume some more. Also you are still free to do your own job searching (from a career standpoint) when in-between assignments.

One piece of advice that I will give is make your resume standout. I have received very positive responses from my resume once I redid it in Photoshop. You'd be surprised how far a few text effects and pictures will take you. It's just a pain dealing with file size limits when uploading them sometimes..

Graduated in August and went 3 months until I found something. Currently work for a temp agency I found through Monster. Just finished a 2 week assignment but am currently interviewing for a 3 month assignment.

If you need money, look into temp work. It could always lead to something permanent but at the very least you'll be making some money, networking, and building your resume some more. Also you are still free to do your own job searching (from a career standpoint) when in-between assignments.

One piece of advice that I will give is make your resume standout. I have received very positive responses from my resume once I redid it in Photoshop. You'd be surprised how far a few text effects and pictures will take you. It's just a pain dealing with file size limits when uploading them sometimes..

Back
Top Bottom