mossyman(i think that was his sn) MS paint thread was
laugh.gif

and the days they moved WDYWT to General
laugh.gif

mossyman(i think that was his sn) MS paint thread was
laugh.gif

and the days they moved WDYWT to General
laugh.gif

I'm more nostalgic of HT in the mid-00s than NT. I think NTers from that era are making it out to be more than it was. There was still a large amount of crap posts.
Shynop was honestly my favorite part of "old" NT (2004?)... I think he was secretly a genius that just knew how to push our buttons.

Originally Posted by hella handsome

Meme's and 4chan killed NT.
A lot of NTers want to be part of the /b/ so bad, they should just go join it instead of posting so much of that type of stuff here.
General was entertaining without all of the worldstar/4chan stuff. 
A truer statement has never been said.
I love /b/. I love NT. But they are TWO SEPARATE THINGS. Keep them that way... it's like church and state.

Kids on here have basically started posting ">my face when"-type picture reactions to posts. 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
 dear god

I'm more nostalgic of HT in the mid-00s than NT. I think NTers from that era are making it out to be more than it was. There was still a large amount of crap posts.
Shynop was honestly my favorite part of "old" NT (2004?)... I think he was secretly a genius that just knew how to push our buttons.

Originally Posted by hella handsome

Meme's and 4chan killed NT.
A lot of NTers want to be part of the /b/ so bad, they should just go join it instead of posting so much of that type of stuff here.
General was entertaining without all of the worldstar/4chan stuff. 
A truer statement has never been said.
I love /b/. I love NT. But they are TWO SEPARATE THINGS. Keep them that way... it's like church and state.

Kids on here have basically started posting ">my face when"-type picture reactions to posts. 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
 dear god

Old NT could be best described as this...

2ywhk08.jpg

The internet overall is just different now, with gifs, videos, mass proliferation of "Team expos", a more or less loss of innocence etc. Back then it was straight raw comedy in the written form... original characters like J dot Comedy, Gizmo McHolla, Cedmillz, NTjunkie, Darko were very influential. Some of these new skool kids don't even know alot of the humor on here originated from these cats.

Also, EZboard HT was the perfect companion website to NT
laugh.gif
%%% was hilarious...

Old NT could be best described as this...

2ywhk08.jpg

The internet overall is just different now, with gifs, videos, mass proliferation of "Team expos", a more or less loss of innocence etc. Back then it was straight raw comedy in the written form... original characters like J dot Comedy, Gizmo McHolla, Cedmillz, NTjunkie, Darko were very influential. Some of these new skool kids don't even know alot of the humor on here originated from these cats.

Also, EZboard HT was the perfect companion website to NT
laugh.gif
%%% was hilarious...

Originally Posted by aepps20

Originally Posted by Cameron Nelson

Originally Posted by Manglor

It was different.

Half of us knew each other by name not just screen name.

There was an automatic level of respect knowing you were posting with someone who you would be posting with for awhile.

It wasn't about -look what i have and you dont- like it is now.

It's almost like the difference between fast food and a nice sit down restaurant.

Don't get me wrong i am not complaining or saying it's lame now and was perfect back in the day, it's just different.
I agree 100%.  I'd even add that in today's NT many posters "ask" questions just to get attention rather than really seeking advice.  My profile says I joined in 04' but I've been lurking since 02' and it seemed like back then when dudes had problems they really needed help not e-fame like some posters (Manglor knows who I mean).

Hell yeah i know what you mean.

People had REAL problems and got actual help. Not these fools trying to hide obvious attempts to brag about nonsense and ignore everyones advice that doesn't suit them. People would post their phone numbers to help out people with serious problems asap.

People actually cared about getting banned cause their screen names meant something. You'd see post after post of people pleading their case and friends trying to back them up and it actually worked... sometimes.

Everyone posted pics(not fits)and knew what everyone else looked and no one really insulted each other about it at all. 

Originally Posted by aepps20

Originally Posted by Cameron Nelson

Originally Posted by Manglor

It was different.

Half of us knew each other by name not just screen name.

There was an automatic level of respect knowing you were posting with someone who you would be posting with for awhile.

It wasn't about -look what i have and you dont- like it is now.

It's almost like the difference between fast food and a nice sit down restaurant.

Don't get me wrong i am not complaining or saying it's lame now and was perfect back in the day, it's just different.
I agree 100%.  I'd even add that in today's NT many posters "ask" questions just to get attention rather than really seeking advice.  My profile says I joined in 04' but I've been lurking since 02' and it seemed like back then when dudes had problems they really needed help not e-fame like some posters (Manglor knows who I mean).

Hell yeah i know what you mean.

People had REAL problems and got actual help. Not these fools trying to hide obvious attempts to brag about nonsense and ignore everyones advice that doesn't suit them. People would post their phone numbers to help out people with serious problems asap.

People actually cared about getting banned cause their screen names meant something. You'd see post after post of people pleading their case and friends trying to back them up and it actually worked... sometimes.

Everyone posted pics(not fits)and knew what everyone else looked and no one really insulted each other about it at all. 

if you're asking, then you are answering your own question.

just logg off life or better yet, stick to your ISS account

Do you remember how fun facebook was before everyone's mom, dad, sister and uncle joined? And before all of the games, apps and mafia war nonsense? something like that.
The period of 02-04 was the pinnacle of NT IMO, aka the pinwheel era. Everyone seemed more legit and not as playful. Certain trends didn't exist back then, such as the "photoshop help gag". If someone needed something ps'd back then, someone would hook them up and keep it moving
pimp.gif
nowadays people try so desperately to get the lulz
30t6p3b.gif
The all around vibe was more mature.

Do you remember how fun facebook was before everyone's mom, dad, sister and uncle joined? And before all of the games, apps and mafia war nonsense? something like that.
The period of 02-04 was the pinnacle of NT IMO, aka the pinwheel era. Everyone seemed more legit and not as playful. Certain trends didn't exist back then, such as the "photoshop help gag". If someone needed something ps'd back then, someone would hook them up and keep it moving
pimp.gif
nowadays people try so desperately to get the lulz
30t6p3b.gif
The all around vibe was more mature.

The Music Forum has to be one of the biggest disappointments, its like there's no room for individuality or opinions. I know don't post much and have only been a member for a couple of years, but I used to lurk since high school since the homie who put me on is like 4 years older, but damn, I remember the old days. I remember when Ninjahood originated the 56k posts and all that lol.

The Music Forum has to be one of the biggest disappointments, its like there's no room for individuality or opinions. I know don't post much and have only been a member for a couple of years, but I used to lurk since high school since the homie who put me on is like 4 years older, but damn, I remember the old days. I remember when Ninjahood originated the 56k posts and all that lol.

I've been doing this for a decade and people have been saying "NT isn't what it used to be" from the six month mark forward. 

User generations are cyclical. 

When you were a senior in high school, did you ever see how small the freshman were, how hard they were trying to impress, and maybe laugh about how they thought they were really doing it, and ask a friend, "we weren't like that when we were freshman, were we?"  And the harsh truth is: yes, you were.

Some of the same people in this thread lamenting how hard the new users are straining themselves to get "lulz" or score points off of other users with cliched insults (cool story bro, etc.) did the exact same types of things when they were new.  No, you didn't post "cool story bro."  Maybe you posted a stoneface.  Maybe you posted a sarcastic reply.  The effect is the same and the intent is the same.  Some of you were jockeying for attention just like the new kids.  Some of you had obnoxious Internet personas and gimmicks, too.  You cared about your "rep."  You craved the praise of other users. 

Consider the possibility that it's not the new users who've changed.  It's you. 

We can talk about broad trends and how they impact the forums all day long.  "Sneakers aren't what they were because retros were interesting and the market wasn't oversaturated in 200X."  "The audience is too large / too small because of social networks / market fragmentation /whatever."  We're having the same types of discussions today that we were several years ago.  We see the same persona types / behavioral patterns today that we saw years ago.  The difference is that there's a generation of users for whom everything is new and there's a generation of users who've seen it all before.  When you first visited NT, you were in the former camp.  Now you're in the latter.  Unless your join date says 1999, existing users were complaining about YOUR new user class and calling it the downfall of the forums. 

When NT was mentioned in Kicks 2, people complained about the influx of new users.  NT wasn't a quaint small town where everyone knew each other anymore.  NT wasn't a secret society anymore.  It blew up.  "The new users don't know as much."  "They're immature."  "They're flooding the forums with garbage."   Sound familiar? 

It's like arguing about whether the NBA was better in 1984, 1994, or 2004.  Your answer will depend on your frame of reference, which will depend on when you first began seriously following the game.  Odds are, you're not going to convince a 60 year old that Michael Jordan was better than Wilt Chamberlain - and, sadly, you're not going to convince a 14 year old that Michael Jordan was better than Kobe Bryant or Lebron James. 

Your "peak" is someone else's nadir. 

Don't get me wrong, I find a lot of the memes and recycled content puerile, too, but it's not like 4-5 years ago kids weren't posting that stupid photoshopped finger picture to hijack threads and annoy people.  Is gif use overdone?  Sure, but 5 years ago we had to implement a 5 word minimum policy for a reason, too.  These aren't recent trends.  This is just what comes from catering to users in their teens and early twenties. 

Instead of complaining about what you're suddenly sick of, I'm really curious to know what you WANT to see.  What types of posts would you prefer?  Do we really need to BAN post types you don't like (reposts from other sources, for example) or just make it easier to find the content you ARE interested in?  Are you willing to do anything to make things better?  (Vote down posts you don't like, use the report/ignore features, etc.)

I'm all for concrete suggestions to help improve the forums, but old trolls complaining about new trolls is just plain silly to me. 

I've been doing this for a decade and people have been saying "NT isn't what it used to be" from the six month mark forward. 

User generations are cyclical. 

When you were a senior in high school, did you ever see how small the freshman were, how hard they were trying to impress, and maybe laugh about how they thought they were really doing it, and ask a friend, "we weren't like that when we were freshman, were we?"  And the harsh truth is: yes, you were.

Some of the same people in this thread lamenting how hard the new users are straining themselves to get "lulz" or score points off of other users with cliched insults (cool story bro, etc.) did the exact same types of things when they were new.  No, you didn't post "cool story bro."  Maybe you posted a stoneface.  Maybe you posted a sarcastic reply.  The effect is the same and the intent is the same.  Some of you were jockeying for attention just like the new kids.  Some of you had obnoxious Internet personas and gimmicks, too.  You cared about your "rep."  You craved the praise of other users. 

Consider the possibility that it's not the new users who've changed.  It's you. 

We can talk about broad trends and how they impact the forums all day long.  "Sneakers aren't what they were because retros were interesting and the market wasn't oversaturated in 200X."  "The audience is too large / too small because of social networks / market fragmentation /whatever."  We're having the same types of discussions today that we were several years ago.  We see the same persona types / behavioral patterns today that we saw years ago.  The difference is that there's a generation of users for whom everything is new and there's a generation of users who've seen it all before.  When you first visited NT, you were in the former camp.  Now you're in the latter.  Unless your join date says 1999, existing users were complaining about YOUR new user class and calling it the downfall of the forums. 

When NT was mentioned in Kicks 2, people complained about the influx of new users.  NT wasn't a quaint small town where everyone knew each other anymore.  NT wasn't a secret society anymore.  It blew up.  "The new users don't know as much."  "They're immature."  "They're flooding the forums with garbage."   Sound familiar? 

It's like arguing about whether the NBA was better in 1984, 1994, or 2004.  Your answer will depend on your frame of reference, which will depend on when you first began seriously following the game.  Odds are, you're not going to convince a 60 year old that Michael Jordan was better than Wilt Chamberlain - and, sadly, you're not going to convince a 14 year old that Michael Jordan was better than Kobe Bryant or Lebron James. 

Your "peak" is someone else's nadir. 

Don't get me wrong, I find a lot of the memes and recycled content puerile, too, but it's not like 4-5 years ago kids weren't posting that stupid photoshopped finger picture to hijack threads and annoy people.  Is gif use overdone?  Sure, but 5 years ago we had to implement a 5 word minimum policy for a reason, too.  These aren't recent trends.  This is just what comes from catering to users in their teens and early twenties. 

Instead of complaining about what you're suddenly sick of, I'm really curious to know what you WANT to see.  What types of posts would you prefer?  Do we really need to BAN post types you don't like (reposts from other sources, for example) or just make it easier to find the content you ARE interested in?  Are you willing to do anything to make things better?  (Vote down posts you don't like, use the report/ignore features, etc.)

I'm all for concrete suggestions to help improve the forums, but old trolls complaining about new trolls is just plain silly to me. 

Originally Posted by Ryda421

This whole thread releates to people like you. Ignorant.. That had nothing to do with the topic, man.

Originally Posted by Ryda421

This whole thread releates to people like you. Ignorant.. That had nothing to do with the topic, man.

Back
Top Bottom