Spanking Children? Right or Wrong?

if done correctly yes.

i am korean and i was beat as a kid by both my parents and i hated it but we hugged and made up after each time
laugh.gif

the only times i was hit was because i acted like an idiot, got bad grades, disrespected someone in my family.

i love both of them dearly and if i have children then yes i was be a disciplinarian.

if they step outta line you have to put them in their place but that doesn't always mean physical punishment.

and for all you white suburban spoiled brats out their, try going to a school in a 3rd world country or in asian countries.

teachers beat you way worse then your parents.

there's a reason why asians are taking over. Ethnic cultures in general are way better for physical and mental discipline.

white suburban kids in general are a bunch of pu&&ies imo grow some huevos.

if done correctly yes.

i am korean and i was beat as a kid by both my parents and i hated it but we hugged and made up after each time
laugh.gif

the only times i was hit was because i acted like an idiot, got bad grades, disrespected someone in my family.

i love both of them dearly and if i have children then yes i was be a disciplinarian.

if they step outta line you have to put them in their place but that doesn't always mean physical punishment.

and for all you white suburban spoiled brats out their, try going to a school in a 3rd world country or in asian countries.

there's a reason why asians are taking over. Ethnic cultures in general are way better for physical and mental discipline.

white suburban kids in general are a bunch of pu&&ies imo grow some huevos.

Originally Posted by Boilermaker X

My oldest is under two and I use spanking as kind of a "hard reset".  It inflicts little or no pain - she's wearing a diaper and she takes much harder spills in the course of normal play - but it reestablishes the power relationship.  More than anything it gives her pause when she's grossly misbehaving and we use that moment to segue into discussing exactly what she did, why it was wrong, the consequences to herself or others of what she was trying to do, and we end with a sincere reaffirmation of love and caring.  Like I said, she's not even two yet so I'm not pretending she sits an contemplates what we talk about but I'm trying to establish a pattern so things can sink in as she grows and has a better idea of her surroundings and her relationships with other people. 

And FYI, it's never been more than one gentle swat on her well-padded butt.  I'm not pulling out extension cords like I may have (ahem) "seen" happen when I was a child. 
i agree^

beating and spanking are two different things. My parents would always tell me what i did wrong and tried to show me the error of my ways, spank me, then come back again and make sure i understood what i did and why i got a spanking. sometimes i would just rather them beat my behind and save the lecture. i hated that worse than the spanking.

if you spare the rod, you spoil the child. you wouldn't eat or drink anything spoiled, so who wants a spoiled child running around. nothing but disaster. if done correctly, the child will appreciate the spankings once they get older. i know i do. not the spankings themselves, but what i learned from them.

Originally Posted by Boilermaker X

My oldest is under two and I use spanking as kind of a "hard reset".  It inflicts little or no pain - she's wearing a diaper and she takes much harder spills in the course of normal play - but it reestablishes the power relationship.  More than anything it gives her pause when she's grossly misbehaving and we use that moment to segue into discussing exactly what she did, why it was wrong, the consequences to herself or others of what she was trying to do, and we end with a sincere reaffirmation of love and caring.  Like I said, she's not even two yet so I'm not pretending she sits an contemplates what we talk about but I'm trying to establish a pattern so things can sink in as she grows and has a better idea of her surroundings and her relationships with other people. 

And FYI, it's never been more than one gentle swat on her well-padded butt.  I'm not pulling out extension cords like I may have (ahem) "seen" happen when I was a child. 
i agree^

beating and spanking are two different things. My parents would always tell me what i did wrong and tried to show me the error of my ways, spank me, then come back again and make sure i understood what i did and why i got a spanking. sometimes i would just rather them beat my behind and save the lecture. i hated that worse than the spanking.

if you spare the rod, you spoil the child. you wouldn't eat or drink anything spoiled, so who wants a spoiled child running around. nothing but disaster. if done correctly, the child will appreciate the spankings once they get older. i know i do. not the spankings themselves, but what i learned from them.

If puppies, yes puppies, can be trained from a very young age (weeks old) to sit, and stay, using negative reinforcement (flicking their nose) you mean to tell me a child a few years old can't make a connection between bad behavior and spankings?

If puppies, yes puppies, can be trained from a very young age (weeks old) to sit, and stay, using negative reinforcement (flicking their nose) you mean to tell me a child a few years old can't make a connection between bad behavior and spankings?

I'm just going to laugh and the failures of parent's kids acting up in public while trying to talk philosophical rationale with a +**@@#! child in hopes they show you some respect and understand.

cosign to whoever said people want to be their kid friend before they are their kid's parents

it serves its purpose.

I'm just going to laugh and the failures of parent's kids acting up in public while trying to talk philosophical rationale with a +**@@#! child in hopes they show you some respect and understand.

cosign to whoever said people want to be their kid friend before they are their kid's parents

it serves its purpose.

sevit86 wrote:

white suburban kids in general are a bunch of puies imo grow some huevos.

Why are you bragging about this?

sevit86 wrote:

Originally Posted by BK201

sevit86 wrote:

its not bragging, just my experience when talking to other people about their childhood.
the fact that u consider it bragging makes me question u sir
grin.gif

sevit86 wrote:

its not bragging, just my experience when talking to other people about their childhood.
grin.gif

I will spank my children. Talking to a 4 year old gets old real fast when they are going through the phase of testing their limits.

Beats=bad
spankings=good

Some people may feel that talking works, but what will you do when your 15 year old is in your face like you're a peer?

I will spank my children. Talking to a 4 year old gets old real fast when they are going through the phase of testing their limits.

Beats=bad
spankings=good

Some people may feel that talking works, but what will you do when your 15 year old is in your face like you're a peer?

Childless people weighing in on parenting issues is like the cashier telling you how NASA should be handling space exploration.

Childless people weighing in on parenting issues is like the cashier telling you how NASA should be handling space exploration.

Those of you that are saying spanking is beating nead to cut that out. Throwing your kid down the stairs or busting them up so bad they bleed is beating a child. Spanking is not beating but is effective discipline. I got the wait until your father gets home scare all the time. When he got home, over the knee I went and out came the wooden spoon. I even broke a few of them from time to time. It all depends on how the parents raise the children as to the reaction and understanding the child has to it.

I am thankful for spankings because they worked on me. Time outs and groundings dont work on a lot of children. What else are you going to do ... talk ... nah the kids just go out and rebel.

When I got grounded and went to a friends house, my parents made sure to call my friends parents and had them uphold the grounding there too.

I had my mouth washed out with soap one day and was brave enough to tell my mom if that was all she had. She then proceeded to brush my teeth with soap. That sure worked.

Theres way too many kids running around like they own the place because the parents cant or wont do anything ... either because they are not allowed because of this save the precious children society we have turned into or because of the I dont want to beat my child and dont believe in discipline attitude.

Those of you that are saying spanking is beating nead to cut that out. Throwing your kid down the stairs or busting them up so bad they bleed is beating a child. Spanking is not beating but is effective discipline. I got the wait until your father gets home scare all the time. When he got home, over the knee I went and out came the wooden spoon. I even broke a few of them from time to time. It all depends on how the parents raise the children as to the reaction and understanding the child has to it.

I am thankful for spankings because they worked on me. Time outs and groundings dont work on a lot of children. What else are you going to do ... talk ... nah the kids just go out and rebel.

When I got grounded and went to a friends house, my parents made sure to call my friends parents and had them uphold the grounding there too.

I had my mouth washed out with soap one day and was brave enough to tell my mom if that was all she had. She then proceeded to brush my teeth with soap. That sure worked.

Theres way too many kids running around like they own the place because the parents cant or wont do anything ... either because they are not allowed because of this save the precious children society we have turned into or because of the I dont want to beat my child and dont believe in discipline attitude.

Originally Posted by sevit86

sevit86 wrote:

grin.gif

I went to preschhol in Nigeria and got hit with rulers by teachers. I just think it's pretty silly to act as if those things are good. I took it as bragging with your "asians are takin over" remark.

Originally Posted by sevit86

sevit86 wrote:

grin.gif

I went to preschhol in Nigeria and got hit with rulers by teachers. I just think it's pretty silly to act as if those things are good. I took it as bragging with your "asians are takin over" remark.

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

Originally Posted by 757bred

Originally Posted by don23lucia

Spank em

Why? Is hurting a child better than logically explaining why what they are doing is wrong? Children are fast learners imo. They can later apply the knowledge they gain from that to things. Spanking imo will lead children to fear getting hit instead of actually realizing why what they are doing is wrong. Which imo is more important then spanking a kid to make them stop doing wrong. Also spanking will in turn teach children to do wrong but to not get caught. Just my opinion.
Example: Kid blatantly takes candy from store and eats it. Kid gets spanked. Kid learns how to steal candy without getting caught.
Kid takes candy. Parent explains why that is not okay. Kid learns that stealing is wrong. Later applies that to things later on in life.
There can be balance between the 2.  Explaining to the child what they did wrong is always the best option.  But like it was said before, some kids respond to physical punishment whereas they ignore reasoning.  And its hard to reason with a toddler.  You can talk until you're blue in the face, but many times they don't care.  Sometimes a little pop on the hand or butt gets the point across. My parents spanked me, but it was only after making sure I understood why I was being punished and if I kept on doing what they told me not to.   If parents beat kids for everything little mishap then it loses its effectiveness.  It should be only used rarely and as a last resort after all options.
So... Inflict pain onto children because they do not have the capacity to understand right and wrong.  Nothing about that seems wrong to you?
We're not talking about punching or kicking them here.  A little pop isn't that painful at all, it's more like something that gets their attention or a "hard reset" as Boilermaker said.  Please explain how else you will stop a toddler from doing something dangerous such as trying to stick something in an outlet?  You can tell them "don't do that ,stop, or no", or even explain why its bad a hundred times.  But if they keep on trying giving them a physical reminder will help them get point.

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

Originally Posted by 757bred

Originally Posted by don23lucia

Spank em

Why? Is hurting a child better than logically explaining why what they are doing is wrong? Children are fast learners imo. They can later apply the knowledge they gain from that to things. Spanking imo will lead children to fear getting hit instead of actually realizing why what they are doing is wrong. Which imo is more important then spanking a kid to make them stop doing wrong. Also spanking will in turn teach children to do wrong but to not get caught. Just my opinion.
Example: Kid blatantly takes candy from store and eats it. Kid gets spanked. Kid learns how to steal candy without getting caught.
Kid takes candy. Parent explains why that is not okay. Kid learns that stealing is wrong. Later applies that to things later on in life.
There can be balance between the 2.  Explaining to the child what they did wrong is always the best option.  But like it was said before, some kids respond to physical punishment whereas they ignore reasoning.  And its hard to reason with a toddler.  You can talk until you're blue in the face, but many times they don't care.  Sometimes a little pop on the hand or butt gets the point across. My parents spanked me, but it was only after making sure I understood why I was being punished and if I kept on doing what they told me not to.   If parents beat kids for everything little mishap then it loses its effectiveness.  It should be only used rarely and as a last resort after all options.
So... Inflict pain onto children because they do not have the capacity to understand right and wrong.  Nothing about that seems wrong to you?
We're not talking about punching or kicking them here.  A little pop isn't that painful at all, it's more like something that gets their attention or a "hard reset" as Boilermaker said.  Please explain how else you will stop a toddler from doing something dangerous such as trying to stick something in an outlet?  You can tell them "don't do that ,stop, or no", or even explain why its bad a hundred times.  But if they keep on trying giving them a physical reminder will help them get point.

why are actual parents of toddlers explaining why they physically discipline their child to dudes who dont have children? (some of them ARE children)

why are actual parents of toddlers explaining why they physically discipline their child to dudes who dont have children? (some of them ARE children)

I never got beat as a child. I will never beat my children (beat or spank whatever term you like my parents never laid a hand on me and I will do the same for my kids)

I don't want them ever to think that violence is the answer to any of their problems.  I want them to think about a situation and find a better solution. 

Back
Top Bottom