Speilberg's LINCOLN

Daniel Day-Lewis originally turned down the role of Lincoln and then Spielberg said he wasn't doing the film without DDL. One night at dinner Spielberg and his wife were having with Leo DiCaprio, Leo asks Spielberg about his "Lincoln project." Spielberg says DDL declined and Leo said hold on I'll talk to him. He gets off the phone gives Spielberg DDLs number and says call him tomorrow - he's expecting your call. And he took the role.

No one knows what Leo said to DDL. They both worked together on Gangs of New York.

Liam Neeson was originally attached to star as Lincoln but production took over a decade to begin so by the time it was taking shape Neeson dropped out saying he was too old for the role.
Awesome story.

I've been meaning to see it this past week, so I'm planning on hitting the theater tomorrow.

I would have love to see Liam Neeson in the role. DDL is great, no question about that. But I'm always going to wonder what Neeson would have brought to the project.

Review: Lincoln - Shakespearian in its presentation it's powerful albeit dull in it's delivery, filled with grand moments anchored by a performance for the ages by Daniel Day-Lewis.http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2pi

Last edited:
to anyone who has seen the movie:

what were the important points?

any crucial moments?

i need to watch this for class and i want a heads up to what i am getting myself into.

Saw it last night. Great film, although it would have been better if I knew my American History.

Neeson isn't the method actor that DDL is. Dude gets intense for his roles.

According to a story I read there is once very rare recording of Lincolns voice and it has been noted that his speaking voice was actually quite high.

Many people get the idea that Lincoln had a deep voice from a TV mini-series done a few decades ago.

i really tried getting into this but damn...

great cast too..just couldnt get thru the whole 6 hours..

to anyone who has seen the movie:

what were the important points?

any crucial moments?

i need to watch this for class and i want a heads up to what i am getting myself into.
So did they portray Lincoln accurately and his reasons for the Emancipation Proclamation like people wanted?
well for the most part he did portray the role and Lincoln's beliefs. to him first and foremost was to fight to keep the country together. period. obviously the south wasnt having it because slaves were a huge economic power to them. plus the south prepared for war in advance while the north didn't so lincoln knew he was on a losing side to begin with now just him realising if its worth it. when it was brought to lincoln that they should free slaves only 2 states that had slavery were on the unions side, missouri and kentucky. that was good enough for him to fight for the union till the end. and of course the north will help repair the south.

Watched a matinee the other day.
Fell asleep. Missed like 30 mins of it in the middle.
Dont plan on watching again.

Neeson isn't the method actor that DDL is. Dude gets intense for his roles.
According to a story I read there is once very rare recording of Lincolns voice and it has been noted that his speaking voice was actually quite high.
Many people get the idea that Lincoln had a deep voice from a TV mini-series done a few decades ago.

How if voice recording wasn't invented until 5 years after he died.

Back
Top Bottom