Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Damn, I got a shin splint on my right leg and it kills when I touch it. Any way I can get it to heal quickly? I've been iciing it and doing some calf raises and stretches.

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Vancity does Crossfit.
I like the idea behind it, but I just don't enjoy those types of workouts. Also, I enjoy working out with minimal equipment and based on my own feelings. It's a great way to build overall performance, but you'll never excel at any one thing(olympic lifting, gymnastics, sprinting, etc.) because it's a mix of everything.
I like the high intensity principles behind crossfit, but what I don't like is that usually it's just your average joe who's putting together the WOD, and not a trained professional.  Also, because the goal is often to finish the reps in the best time possible, there's often a total disregard for proper form and safety, which sells your body short in terms of workout effectiveness, results, and injury risk.

This can be said about any athletic activity.
don;t go to a crossfit center that has herbs coaching for starts, and remember that form is always greater for productivity AND safety than high weight or increased speed.

If done properly I think it's amazing.
There is only one crossfit center in my city and it's all trained pros who've been in the scene for 15+ years. The Edmonton Oilers all train there. The best times for specific circuits are posted each day. It's my goal to beat some players in at least one circut
laugh.gif

SUGGESTION: Lately I have been cycling and it has been making some big improvements in shedding that annoying last fat or even fat in general.. I suggest any of you guys trying to get your lean on because its been a month and I've lost 10 lbs at this point for me it is hard to gain/lose 1 lb so shedding that 10 was a great achievemnt. My dad showed me the ways to start cycling because he is a professional cycler but I'll share any info i know of if any of you wanna take this on. the First time he took me riding he said we were going on a "little" ride but little did i know it was gonnna be 30 miles and 80% hill climbing. AND now i can do 50 miles no problem. Sorry this got a little lengthy but i never thought cycling was so intense haha. good job everyone btw

If im buying a bar to deadlift with and squat with what would it be called? I see bars at the store called Olympic bars but those look long.. is there a specific name for bars used to deadlift and squat with like the normal size they are?

I ain't been to the gym in almost 2 weeks because my membership ran out. I'm about to be back in there once I get my friend's membership.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Damn, I got a shin splint on my right leg and it kills when I touch it. Any way I can get it to heal quickly? I've been iciing it and doing some calf raises and stretches.

my gym has a machine that works on your "anterior tibialis" (shins). you basically put your foot under a small bar and put weights and do shin curls i guess you could call them

like this

If I cut back on lifting weights and put more emphasis on cardio, it wont affect the muscles that I've achieved, correct?

I'm tryna cut these last 10 pounds without tryna lose muscle at all. My upper body is alright, its just the fat around the midsection.

Im joining the gym tomorrow.

I'm 5'8 200 lbs.

Need some help getting a diet going. Im probaly gonna have to eat alot of the same things every day because I hate alot of low fat foods.

When I was on my last diet which was for about 2 weeks before I quit a couple things I liked were turkey burger on wheat bread,fruit,egg whites,caesar salads with grilled chicken. Anything else you guys could recommend ?

Im not tryna get super skinny but im tryna lose 20-30 pounds and get toned. What are some work outs you guys recommend ? I know I definitely have to hop on the treadmill for a while.

woah, i thought the dude was talking about cycling the juice lol "my dad is a professional cycler" sounded weird, but then it made sense.

see dudes do squat but barely lower themselves... what's up with that???

atleast have your legs parallel to the floor...

same thing with the leg press... rack like 8 plates on each side then go down 2 inches

lol... pointless to me

literally seen some little white piccolo looking guy from dragonball z do that... and then have the nerve to leave the plates there for the next person to take off

/rant

Originally Posted by BostonThreeParty

just curious, what are your thoughts on Muscle Milk.

anyone use it? or is there something better i could use?

I use it, tastes great. Haven't really used anything other than Protein so I dont know how effective it is.

I think I'm starting to devolop some tendonitis in my right elbow. It starts to hurt on the inner part of the elbow when I do exercises like bench, dips, and such. I looked it up and it looks like I have "golfer's elbow" and can't really do anything besides rest it for a little. It usually doesn't hurt during the day but it starts after a few sets of lifting or playing a few games of basketball, then goes away after I shower.

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm not looking forward to a week or more without much physical activity.

I can squat again! I've been doing box squats for the last couple of weeks and today was quads so I just went in on regular squats and did alot of warmup sets and figured if I started feeling any knee pain I'd chill, but I was fine. My mechanics felt pretty good, and I was able to get up to 365 for a few reps and then do a fall back set of 315 for 10. I was actually zoned out and felt like I could go for like 15 or 20 reps on 315 but this lady started loading up the hack squat RIGHT next to me in the MIDDLE OF MY SET!! I was just heated cause it was mad distracting. The rack and the hack squat are kind of too close together, so she was ducking and leaning to slide a plate on and I kept thinking I was about to hit her. Just broke my concentration and I started getting nervous about it so I racked it. Why couldn't she just wait half a minute?

nealraj006 wrote:

Vancity does Crossfit.
I like the idea behind it, but I just don't enjoy those types of workouts. Also, I enjoy working out with minimal equipment and based on my own feelings. It's a great way to build overall performance, but you'll never excel at any one thing(olympic lifting, gymnastics, sprinting, etc.) because it's a mix of everything.
I like the high intensity principles behind crossfit, but what I don't like is that usually it's just your average joe who's putting together the WOD, and not a trained professional.  Also, because the goal is often to finish the reps in the best time possible, there's often a total disregard for proper form and safety, which sells your body short in terms of workout effectiveness, results, and injury risk.

There's nothing enjoyable about Crossfit workouts. They are grueling and 90% of the time, I ask myself why I even bother. And you're on the money when you say that you'll never excel at one thing when doing Crossfit, but for someone like myself who is just trying to achieve a higher level of athleticism, it matches perfectly with my goals.

ChewToy: Very good point about trying to finish as quick as possible, and I can't really refute this - I can say, however, that it's entirely up to the person doing the WOD to make sure their form is good and that they're not cheating themselves.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

^sounds like a real selfish %+#@$

It's just bad gym etiquette that most people don't really think of.  It's like squatting in the curl rack or sitting on a flat bench for like 10-15 minutes between sets reading the newspaper while other people are waiting to use a bench.  She probably just figured as long as she didn't bump into me, it was OK, but she didn't consider how distracting and nerve-wracking it is to have someone moving that close to you when you've got a heavy weight on your shoulders.  (literally) 

Anyway, I was happy with being able to squat again, and I was able to leg-press relatively heavy, but the 20 minute bike ride I had to take later on to my friends house for easter dinner was brutal.

Originally Posted by Vancity74

nealraj006 wrote:

Vancity does Crossfit.

There's nothing enjoyable about Crossfit workouts. They are grueling and 90% of the time, I ask myself why I even bother. And you're on the money when you say that you'll never excel at one thing when doing Crossfit, but for someone like myself who is just trying to achieve a higher level of athleticism, it matches perfectly with my goals.

ChewToy: Very good point about trying to finish as quick as possible, and I can't really refute this - I can say, however, that it's entirely up to the person doing the WOD to make sure their form is good and that they're not cheating themselves.

agree with the overall pain of these style of workouts. the satisfaction is also a lot greater when you see the results of your hard work though. in my opinion i've never been in better overall shape.  (cardio/strength/flexibility/ etc.)

I swear. Losing the last 10 pounds is most definately the hardest. I'm stuck on a plateau.

My upper body is more toned and such but its these damn love handles and belly fat that's tough as a motha******.

Would cutting back on the calories and upping the cardio fix it?

Any suggestions?

Originally Posted by Laced Up Jordans

I swear. Losing the last 10 pounds is most definately the hardest. I'm stuck on a plateau.

My upper body is more toned and such but its these damn love handles and belly fat that's tough as a motha******.

Would cutting back on the calories and upping the cardio fix it?

Any suggestions?

that's the idea of cutting. caloric deficit + cardio + more water to motivate metabolism + fishoils+ flaxseed oils + cocaine?

Just watched a news feature that showcased a study a doctor did that proved

whey protein isolate causes hair loss 0_o

Originally Posted by miamib30514

Just watched a news feature that showcased a study a doctor did that proved

whey protein isolate causes hair loss 0_o

link my dude?...anyone else hear about this?
eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom