Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Yo I'm looking for a new routine.

Any skinnier dudes out there that have had good results with a certain routine?

Right now I've been doing:

Monday

Chest
  • Flat Barbell Bench Press
  • Low Incline Dumbbell Press
  • Dips
Back
  • Chin ups 
  • Barbell Rows 
  • Shrugs

Wednesday
  • Squats 
  • Leg Curls 
  • Straight Legged Deadlifts 
  • Standing Calve Raises

Friday

Shoulders
  • Military Press in Rack
  • Seated Dumbbell Press 
  • Standing Lateral Raises
Triceps
  • Rope pull downs
  • Skullcrushers 
Biceps
  • Barbell Curls
  • Hammer Curls
Been doing that for a few months, been working alright I guess. Not expecting amazing results in short periods of time or anything, I know the work it takes, but I'm just looking to see what people think and if there's a better routine I could be doing.

I'm pretty thin, about 155-160 and about 5'10-5'11, and am looking to bulk up, and just improve my overall strength.

It'd be great if there's any dudes that used to be skinny that have had good success stories that could help me out. Any help is appreciated. 

luigi, your regimen looks good, but I would take out SLDL...I would say start doing drop sets with the same routine maybe replace a couple excercises like do pull-ups instead of chinups, do bench dips instead of skullcrushers and do RDL instead of SLDL.

I was in your same position a month ago and I wanted a change so I started doing drop sets because I was using a single weight throughout each excercise so I increased the weight for the first set or sets then dropped the weight so I could do more reps.

Ok got all my supplements, but i do have a couple questions??? Anyone using Recreate?? Also if this is my schedule when should i take my pre-work out supplement.
389543837.jpg
389543866.jpg
389543856.jpg

Anyone using this or tried GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme Protein. It was on sale and it has everything ON has. Basically got 2 packs for the price of ON (wanted some new flavors anyway). 

Wake - 4am

Work - 630am - 630pm

Get Home - 730-8pm

Sleep - 11pm-3am

I plan to workout from 830pm -10pm M-F

Sat - Morning Cardio Only

Sun - Off

Should I drink Superpump on my drive home or a lil earlier. I dont want to be up all night and i also dont want to drink it to early and not have it work for me in the gym. So what would be the ideal time. Here's my workout plan. Should eliminate anything or certain days. Do it need any tweaking?? All help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Monday - Chest

* Incline Dumbbell Press 3 x 8-10
* Flat Dumbbell Press 3 x 8-10
* Decline Dumbbell Press 3 x 8-10
* Dumbbell Pullover 2 x 15-20
* Incline Flyes 2 x 10-20

* Bench Press Incline/Decline/Flat 2 x 10

Tuesday - Legs

* Squats 3 x 10-20
* Leg Press 3 x 10-20
* Unilateral Leg Curl 3 x 10-20
* Reverse Calf Raises 2 x 10-20
* Seated Calf Raises 2 x 10-20

* HackSquats  3 x 10-20

*Ab Routine of Choice

Wednesday - Back
 * Deadlift 4 x 8-10
* Weighted Pullups 3 x 8-12
* Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 3 x 8-12
* Seated Row 3 x 8-12
* Hyperextensions 3 x 12-15

Thursday - Shoulders

* Rear Delt Flyes 3 x 12-15
* Military Press 2 x 8-10
* Arnold Press 2 x 8-12
* Bent Lateral Raises 2 x 8-12
* Shrugs 2 x 12-15

*Ab Routine of Choice

Friday - Arms

* EZ-bar Triceps lying extension 3 x 8-10
* Dips 2 x 6-10
* One Arm Triceps Overhead Extension 3 x 12-15
* Triceps Pressdown 2 x 8-12
* Standing Curl 3 x 8-10
* Concentration Curls 3 x 12-15
* Hammer Curl 2 x 8-12

*Deadlifts 3 x 8-12

* Sat - Cardio ONLY 

* Sun - Off

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

For anyone else who's been on a serious cut (Joe Camel ?) how long were you guys on a dedicated carb cycle or special diet? I'm at 15% right now, just started my carb cycle again, I want to get down to 10% or less. How long do you guys predict this will have to be sustained?
longest ive cut is maybe 2 months max? carb cycling i did the first time and honestly it sucked, low carb days left me w/ no energy to lift and i lost weight at a slooow pace. carb cycling or keto (even crazier) works miracles for some but for me it was all pain no gain

best cut for me was this year around march i just did a straightforward reduced calorie cut, no messing around with carbs or anything. just made sure i got a lot of protein (minimum 200g/day, that may have been more than neccessary but w/e) and was basically forced to eat clean since theres no room for junk in a cut diet unless you like being starving for hours.

so im not a good person to take advice on in terms of carb cycling i guess........didnt work for me at all after the first couple weeks.
frown.gif

I weigh like 130 @ 6 feet tall, which is obviously not a good look. Can anybody write me out any kind of regimented diet to help me gain weight and get into the 180s? I figure whey protein 3 times a day is a no brainer, any other tips you can give me?

I'm not hitting the gym yet, just doing some push ups and sit ups until I hit around 180 like I want, and then I will begin training in the gym.

Thanks for any help guys.

Originally Posted by Politicin

I weigh like 130 @ 6 feet tall, which is obviously not a good look. Can anybody write me out any kind of regimented diet to help me gain weight and get into the 180s? I figure whey protein 3 times a day is a no brainer, any other tips you can give me?

I'm not hitting the gym yet, just doing some push ups and sit ups until I hit around 180 like I want, and then I will begin training in the gym.

Holy @%+*, you're literally a skin sack with some bones 
eek.gif
. Hate to break it to you brehh, but plyo workouts will help initially, but I would highly suggest going to the gym as soon as you can once you've built a solid base with your push ups and other workouts. Also....to go from 130-180....especially for a person of your height, will require a steadfast diet of many many calories. Use an online calculator to find out exactly how many. Good luck. 

That is me. Skin and bones, and a few veins I hear are rather important. Completely ignorant here, what is plyo? Where can I find an online calculator for this type of thing? I am down to get into this steadfast diet and have plenty of money to spend on food to make sure I am fully stocked. I just need someone to write out some sort of a sure diet I can follow.

Ok so

I'm 5'11" tall, and I weighed 230 earlier in the year
Down to 200 now, looking to get to 180
Fixed diet of fruits, veggies, sometimes very low-fat subway sandwiches, smart ones (tv dinner things)
Exercising every day, either full-court basketball at the park or 1.5-2 mile run

What can I do to take this to the next level? Would weight-lifting help?

Am I right in assuming that good diet and cardio are the best ways to lose weight?

Thanks NT, like many of you I am sick of my situation and finally dedicating myself to achieving my goal.

That is me. Skin and bones, and a few veins I hear are rather important. Completely ignorant here, what is plyo? Where can I find an online calculator for this type of thing? I am down to get into this steadfast diet and have plenty of money to spend on food to make sure I am fully stocked. I just need someone to write out some sort of a sure diet I can follow.
Oops I'm sorry, I meant Calisthenics, not Plyometrics. Calisthenics would be your weight-free workouts. Anything from pull ups, push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks and that sort of thing. A good calculator I use where you input your goals and it comes up with a diet formula for you is www.thedailyplate.com 

For all those trying to lose weight I may be some help. Used to be 225lb my sophomore year of high school. 4 years later I'm 180 8% bf and the leanest/strongest I've been all my life. Here is my little "guide". 
Side note before i get started: Losing 45lb in 4 years seems like decades, and it is. Keep in mind though that there were points where i was skinner than 180lb, times where i was heavier but stronger, and times where i was skinner but weaker. Also keep in mind I did all this while still living a high school and college lifestyle consisting of eating out with friends and drinking on weekends. In 4 years i completely transformed my body, I'm not only a lot healthier than I was before but I look amazing (abs,chest, arms, etc). 

Weight training: I never really went on a particular routine or diet, instead I've stuck to variations of this routine

Back/Tri

Chest/Bi

Shoulders/Legs

Working opposing muscles because I felt like when I hit Chest and Triceps the same day my Triceps were sore by the time I was finished with chest causing me to do less weight. 

Rep ranges were done like so... 12, 12, 8 Increasing the weight for the 8 reps. Also, for the more compound workouts such as bench press, shoulder press, dead lift and squat I would do 4 sets, usually pyramid's 12,10,8,6 Increasing the weight every time. 

*Also it's always good to throw in pull ups on back day and dips on chest day. They might be hard for some at first but you'll be amazed of how quickly you can advance in them. 

Cardio: HIIT

Cardio was done three times a week consisting of high intensity interval training. I REALLY like this type of cardio. Its short and really works.

I set the tredmile at an incline of 3.0 and did 1 minute sprints (9.0mph) followed by 1 minute fast walks (4.5 mph). Up until 12 minutes followed by a cool down of 3 minute walk 

If you're feeling like you want to push yourself, doing outside cardio consisting of Sprinting the straights and jogging the curves for up to 2 miles (8 laps) does wonders as well. 

Diet:

Never went on a real diet program like carb cycling or keto...instead i did it the simple way. EAT HEALTHY 

Example:

Breakfast- Shake with banana and toast

Snack- yogurt 
Gym

Post workout snack- Protein shake

Dinner- as much meat as I can get my hands on and a small amount of Carbs and also some type of green (brocoli, ect) 

i have a big sweet tooth  so for desert at times I would add 

Desert- Cottage cheese with a tiny bit of strawberry jelly or protein shake 

Eating healthy isn't hard. Just try your hardest to have more proteins than carbs, keep the fat low, and try to have your last meal 3-4 hours before bed.

Also, I did have cheat meals once or twice a week and I usually tried to plan on having it the day before a really hard workout day/cardio day so I thought I could try and burn it off the next day. DONT BE AFRAID TO CHEAT. Theres no way I could have stayed on track without it.

Supplements:

Multivitamin, Whey protein, ECA stack cycled , and JACK3D pre-workout, and a gallon of water a day. 

People should look into the ECA stack. Stands for ephedrine, caffeine, asprin. Google it, it can be a BIG PUSH to those who are already dedicated and doing cardio, you'll be amazed. Google it. Its usually cheap too. Caffeine shouldnt run you more than 8 bucks, asprin 2-3$, and th ephedrine i got in the form of BRONKAID which is over the counter asthma medication

Any questions feel free to ask. 

Originally Posted by badmoonRison

Ok so

I'm 5'11" tall, and I weighed 230 earlier in the year
Down to 200 now, looking to get to 180
Fixed diet of fruits, veggies, sometimes very low-fat subway sandwiches, smart ones (tv dinner things)
Exercising every day, either full-court basketball at the park or 1.5-2 mile run

What can I do to take this to the next level? Would weight-lifting help?

Am I right in assuming that good diet and cardio are the best ways to lose weight?

Thanks NT, like many of you I am sick of my situation and finally dedicating myself to achieving my goal.
Weight lifting will help. The problem you're probably facing now is that you're also burning away muscle with all the cardio.
Start doing weights and slow down on the running. You dont want to be 180lbs but look like you have no muscle.

Originally Posted by djkaos23

Ok got all my supplements, but i do have a couple questions??? Anyone using Recreate?? Also if this is my schedule when should i take my pre-work out supplement.
Anyone using this or tried GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme Protein. It was on sale and it has everything ON has. Basically got 2 packs for the price of ON (wanted some new flavors anyway). 

Wake - 4am

Work - 630am - 630pm

Get Home - 730-8pm

Sleep - 11pm-3am

I plan to workout from 830pm -10pm M-F

Sat - Morning Cardio Only

Sun - Off

Should I drink Superpump on my drive home or a lil earlier. I dont want to be up all night and i also dont want to drink it to early and not have it work for me in the gym. So what would be the ideal time. Here's my workout plan. Should eliminate anything or certain days. Do it need any tweaking?? All help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Damn Fam, that a crazy work sched. Thought Mine was bad & I'm in the army..
eek.gif

But good deal on the supplements. On the superpump take 30-45 min prior to your workout. Make sure empty stomach, hour after you eat/protien shake. I take N.O. xplode. i try taking it 30 min before my workout cause it upsets my stomach, im not use to it yet.. so i wait till it gives the me 'GO' then it helps alot. Make sure with superpump you drink ALOT of water. I was tempted on that GNC's AMP extreme protein, but not a big fan of GNC's products. Props on the Gold Whey Protein Youll see results my man if you keep the motivation up. Whats that recreate? Fat burner or what?
pimp.gif
on the fish oil and Glutamime. Youll DEF need that.

^^^ Good read keepzdasneakz.

NEED HELP!!!
I need to figure out how to gain/keep weigh on now.
I'm training for half marathons so it's been difficult for me to keep on the weigh.
Even taking a week off from running the weight drops and I'm loosing muscle.
Doing 5 days a week at gym and 3 days of running steady since April.
Did it to loose weight/tone but after reaching my goal it's been difficult to maintain the weight in the last month.
Anyone had this problem if so what did you do to keep the weight on or gain weigh?
Eating 4 meals a day also.

What's a good Way to improve your bench within Weeks.. I been having trouble upping my weights.. I have a iron man competition @ the end of this month.. And I need to work on my bench.. Its tough cause i go by myself noones there to help me spot and what not.. So NT Help me Out!

Originally Posted by The Kid Fiasco

What's a good Way to improve your bench within Weeks.. I been having trouble upping my weights.. I have a iron man competition @ the end of this month.. And I need to work on my bench.. Its tough cause i go by myself noones there to help me spot and what not.. So NT Help me Out!
I would say work on your legs, or get a spotter.

Your legs play a MAJOR role in benching.

You don't need whey protein.  Just eat more food, and healthy food. 

Screw the body weight exercises.  You don't weigh enough for that to be effective unless you are doing like 1 hand pushups.  Join the gym or buy some weights or a weight vest.

Do a starting strength type of routine if you join the gym.  (google it)

Eat a bagel for breakfast with some low fat milk. 

Buy some almonds and peanuts.  Snack on those all day long.

Get a family pack of chicken breast on sale and some whole grain rice with a bag of corn/broccoli/whateva.  (that's your dinner or lunch)

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

1:

back squat 3x5

bench press 3x5

incline dumbbell bench press 3x8

dips 2x8

abs 5x5

2:

dead lift 1x5

calf press 5x20

HIIT

3:

off

4:

front squat 3x5

military press 3x5

rear delta raises superset with side raises 3x8,3x8

abs 5x5

5:

good mornings 3x8

bb row 3x8

chin ups 2x8

calf press 5x20

6:

back squat 3x5

biceps+triceps

powerclean 5x3

abs 5x5

7: HIIT

comments/suggestions? im trying to mesh strength building with a body builder routine. squating 3 times a week has given me huuuuuge quads
It's a bit taxing to workout all days of the week. I think your day 2 seems a bit unproductive to be perfectly honest. 5 reps of Deadlifts? 
eyes.gif
 If you're gonna do low reps then do more sets, as you already know. low reps for only 1 set probably won't do anything for your progress. 
I've come to find one working set of DLs is plenty assuming you warm up correctly.
PanaRicanRetro wrote:
Repetitive? I'd really appreciate you breaking it down a little more. I'm very curious.

It's mainly repetitive in that you're hitting a squat movement 3 times within 6 days and the movements that go with that squat don't necessarily compliment a squat, or the other things that go with it on that day.  If you want to do all your big lifts one day, explosive lifts another day, and smaller muscles like bi's and tri's on that last day, it would kind of make sense, seeing as you're not really worried about a bodypart split, but to do bi's/tri's after squats and before powercleans just doesn't let  your body get the most out of the workout.  You're doing one exercise to tax your CNS (squats) but then you're targeting bi's and tri's, when you're better off continuing to pump blood to your quads/hams afterwards.  So your bi's/tri's are pumped and somewhat prefatigued, and with tight, tired arms you do an explosive lift like a power clean, also right after you've done squats which takes away from your strength on cleans.  It's not bad to mix things up to find what works for you, but once you start getting comfortable with this program and start going heavier, your body is probably gonna be overtrained. 

Doing front squats and military presses on the same day isn't bad, but I'd do both of those exercises the same day you power clean, and do them after power cleans, since the movements compliment what you do on a clean.  I'd also Squat and Bench or Deadlift and Bench on the same day and do HIIT on it's own day or the day you do small muscles like bi's/tri's.  I like your overall idea, I just think you'll feel beat up by it soon without the results you want.

You go there by yourself, but there's bound to be some other people at the gym. For me, having a spotter and doing forced reps helped me get over a plateau the quickest. I was stuck unable to do 225 (2 plates) more than 4-5 times by myself. I went and had my friends spot me, to get that 5th or 6th rep out of me and pretty soon I was doing it by myself. 
Do keep in mind: Pick one of the bigger dudes at the gym to help you. Because when you're doing forced reps, sometimes you might not have it in you to even push it up after the down-motion. Make sure you let the person know how you want them to spot you as well so there's no miscommunication or possible injury associated with that. 

Originally Posted by bLaZ3n

I would say work on your legs, or get a spotter.

Your legs play a MAJOR role in benching.

sometimes the problem is your form......elbows in, shoulder blades on the bench, keep your back properly arched, etc.

but if thats not it,  how about mixing up your lifts...

if youve been doing high rep low weight do the opposite..........high weight 3-5 reps

or try working on quarter reps or lockouts

and triceps play a role in benching as well so you could always hit those hard if they are a weak link

Back
Top Bottom