STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

What's up everybody I've been a long time lurker on NT for about 5-6 years. A couple of months ago I ran into a Stay/Get Back In Shape thread (the one that was made before this one). Read a couple of page and became interested. I'm overweight and been battling with weight loss since 2008. I joined this forum for I can get some tips for can I better myself. I'm 24 years old, 5' 11' and weigh 332lbs as of October 2nd 2012. My goal is to lose 100lbs. On Septmber 18th 2012 I started back on the weight loss battle. The only exercise I'm doing right now is walking but the cold weather is making that hard to do. I'm eating more healthier foods and doing intermittent fasting. I'm seeing results already but I need advice and dos and donts from people with experience for I can lose weight faster.
Good luck bro, it will only get harder from here so stick with it even when you feel like giving up and it will all be worth it in the end. Just enjoy the journey to living a new, better life 
pimp.gif

What's up everybody I've been a long time lurker on NT for about 5-6 years. A couple of months ago I ran into a Stay/Get Back In Shape thread (the one that was made before this one). Read a couple of page and became interested. I'm overweight and been battling with weight loss since 2008. I joined this forum for I can get some tips for can I better myself. I'm 24 years old, 5' 11' and weigh 332lbs as of October 2nd 2012. My goal is to lose 100lbs. On Septmber 18th 2012 I started back on the weight loss battle. The only exercise I'm doing right now is walking but the cold weather is making that hard to do. I'm eating more healthier foods and doing intermittent fasting. I'm seeing results already but I need advice and dos and donts from people with experience for I can lose weight faster.

Good Luck Man.

Fasting isn't needed, really.

Proper nutrition and macros + exercise >>>>>>> fasting and any insane caloric restriction's or diets.

Walking is a good start if you feel very out of shape, but you should really start trying to incorporate some HIIT weight training. Building more muscle will help burn more fat, even at a resting state. And, the HIIT weight training will prevent any buildup of large bulky muscle which could make you look more bloated.

Either way proper weight training (low rep strength PLUS high rep volume or HIIT) > cardio. But, preferentially both. This is all IMO though.

Good luck.

as a guy that has lost 70+ lbs twice in his life DONT do it too quick take your time and theres going to be days where u gain weight and days when u lose 5 lbs also i suggest weighing yourself ounce a wk say Saturday morning

Good Luck Man.
Proper nutrition and macros + exercise >>>>>>> fasting and any insane caloric restriction's or diets.
Walking is a good start if you feel very out of shape, but you should really start trying to incorporate some HIIT weight training. Building more muscle will help burn more fat, even at a resting state. And, the HIIT weight training will prevent any buildup of large bulky muscle which could make you look more bloated.
Either way proper weight training (low rep strength PLUS high rep volume or HIIT) > cardio. But, preferentially both. This is all IMO though.
Good luck.

What's large bulky muscle? Muscle is muscle and it doesn't make you look bloated.

Doing a half marathon tomorrow for breast cancer bros. 1 of 3 this month. wish me luck! Gonna be a hard month but its for a good cause and a good break from the norm.

What's large bulky muscle? Muscle is muscle and it doesn't make you look bloated.

Really? Of everything I said, you gonna nitpick on me using simple layman terminology to help this new guy understand what I'm saying.

Don't be an @ZZ.

There is a reason why when you see people on p90x and insanity they might have low bodyfat and be more toned, but none of them look like:

Light resistance, high volume interval training isn't going to stimulate the muscle fibers the same as doing low rep, heavy weight. It is a known fact that each training method will result in different outcomes, due to this difference in muscle & nervous system stimulation.

Additionally, when you have a layer of fat over your muscle, and your muscles get larger, before the fat is burnt off, the only thing that happens is you look larger, FAT included in this larger frame. Bloated might be the wrong term to describe it, but I think you can get the idea. This is why people with guts shouldn't be doing training which only focuses on abs, before shedding off some of that fat. There are plenty of other exercises to strengthen the core, which are more functional.

For more information on what I'm saying:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark20.htm

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/shane6.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly13.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/betteru25.htm

Last edited:
Good Luck Man.

C'mon man, it's an approach just as IIFYM is.

As of Friday i'm down 100lb in under 11 months. I started at 288, fasting at 226, as of Friday i've lost 38 on IF/LG so far. It's not "insane".

I'm thinking about joining the Navy bro's. Haven't mentioned it to anybody else, not my parents, not my family, not my girlfriend. The job market i'm trying to get into is ****, nobody willing to take somebody on to train them, I feel handcuffed. I feel cornered. I feel lost, but I know the Navy has a great opportunity. I'm scared just thinking about it, but I know I felt this way before I began losing weight, and yet, here we are.

Just had to let it out in the open, albeit in a somewhat anonymous way.

Forgot to do Leg Presses today :lol: but I did go hard on my workout

Ate a bit before I weighed myself today and I was still 2.4 lbs down from last week. I'm 168.8 now whereas I was ~192 in April. I slacked the first 2 months and got serious around June/July on my diet.

As of Friday i'm down 100lb in under 11 months. I started at 288, fasting at 226, as of Friday i've lost 38 on IF/LG so far. It's not "insane".
I'm thinking about joining the Navy bro's. Haven't mentioned it to anybody else, not my parents, not my family, not my girlfriend. The job market i'm trying to get into is ****, nobody willing to take somebody on to train them, I feel handcuffed. I feel cornered. I feel lost, but I know the Navy has a great opportunity. I'm scared just thinking about it, but I know I felt this way before I began losing weight, and yet, here we are.

Do it for you bruh. Not for anyone else because at the end of the day, it's your life. The services is a great route to go. So many benefits to joining

somebody gimme the rundown for using protein shakes for weight loss and when they should be taken throughout the course of the day...

i've heard that they should be used as meal substitutes.

i do lift weights and i would think i should be takin them up 45 mins. after lifting. problem is, after a good workout i wanna eat something, not drink a meal...

also, please recommend some that dont taste like s***...

can you elaborate on IF/LG? Fasting?

My *** was 237 solid but been on a depressed mode and back to 260-280. 

somebody gimme the rundown for using protein shakes for weight loss and when they should be taken throughout the course of the day...

i've heard that they should be used as meal substitutes.

i do lift weights and i would think i should be takin them up 45 mins. after lifting. problem is, after a good workout i wanna eat something, not drink a meal...

also, please recommend some that dont taste like s***...

I only drink protein:

- After a workout
- When I need to meet my protein macros for the day, I prefer to get my protein from solid food

I use ON Gold Standard, it's not the best tasting but how often/how long are you drinking it that taste really matters?

____

Looked around at some other protein today...Myofusion/Syntha 6 to be exact.

I think I'll have to stick with ON...

- More servings for the price
- Least amount of calories per serving

I can get a 10 lb bag of ON for ~96 which is about ~150 servings...

No other protein was beating the profile/price from what I saw.

You can do it man!! There is a lot of good advice in this thread and we are all here to support you! I myself have lost 63 pounds since February, It's probably closer to 70 but I did not weigh myself until the end of February even though I started at the end of January. It is going to be tough and you will want to quit. Just stay focused and the pounds will start to come off. Don't get discouraged if it takes a while to get going and just keep on pushing through it!!! I've taken a lot of tips from the guys in here and it has helped me shed a lot of my weight. I too want to be down 100 pounds and I am well on my way to it. I started at 314 and am sitting at 252 right now. Good luck to you man and if you need any support we all got your back!

I wanna try isopure but its so expensive.

Like OD status.

Besides taste is the nutritional profile that much of an improvement to justify prices?

Sorry for coming in late to the conversation, what is ISOpure, and why is it good for post workout?

Another question, im trying to build a bigger chest, and since I rarely have somebody help me do incline / decline lift, I'm using dumbbells. I'm doing 10 reps / 5 sets of 40lbs, is that good? My boy said I should go up to 45lbs

Isopure isnt good...

ON is good but taste sucks.

Syntha 6 is more of a meal replacement hence the high calories and carbs. still great if your bulking and tastes awesome.

Sorry for coming in late to the conversation, what is ISOpure, and why is it good for post workout?

Another question, im trying to build a bigger chest, and since I rarely have somebody help me do incline / decline lift, I'm using dumbbells. I'm doing 10 reps / 5 sets of 40lbs, is that good? My boy said I should go up to 45lbs

Isopure is purely whey isolate, I think. I'm not sure however.

Isopure isnt good...

Syntha 6 is more of a meal replacement hence the high calories and carbs. still great if your bulking and tastes awesome.

Elaborate on why Isopure isn't good...

I'm not saying you're wrong but I'd rather hear facts than opinions.

As for ON, new flavors take 2-3 shakes before I'm used to the taste but the taste never bothers me. I'm not trying to enjoy a protein shake like a real meal :lol:

As for ON, new flavors take 2-3 shakes before I'm used to the taste but the taste never bothers me. I'm not trying to enjoy a protein shake like a real meal :lol:

yeah ON taste pretty nasty, i have master the art of just drinking it without having to taste it. you cant be that price.

yeah ON taste pretty nasty, i have master the art of just drinking it without having to taste it. you cant be that price.

Probably what I'm doing :lol: I don't pay attention to the taste and just try to get it all down as quick as possible.

Isopure isnt good...

Syntha 6 Vanilla Ice Cream tastes amazing :wow: .. Don't really like the Cookies & Cream tho

Lol, ISO Pure isn't good??.... I don't wanna sound like a douche but ummmmmm..... It works for me (peep avy)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom