Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

i mean im not suggesting pre-workout shots but i think the "alcohol inhibits test production" theory is largely exaggerated or untrue.

anyway

on all my lifts recently instead of pyramiding up like i normally do ive been trying a warmup set followed by my heaviest, then pyramiding down. not sure how i feel about it, but i needed to mix it up.

I swtiched that that reverse pyramid type of lifting and i'll never go back to the standard pyramid set scheme. I LOVE it. You wont notice much of a size increase, but youll certainly get stronger.

Also, what makes those vitamins better than the rest. To me, any one a day vitamin is more than enough for every person.
most multis are loaded with crazy high dv% because theyre all synthetic with piss-poor bioavailability and in random, often in ratios to one another that makes absorbtion of certain ingredients even more difficult.

i could post up some research concerning why ortho-core is superior, i have a killer headache right now im about to take a nap but ill post it up tonight.

i think what turns most people off is the price, but youre getting a lot for your money.

as for the reverse pyramid yeah i feel like having my 4th or 5th set be the heaviest makes little to no sense.........any reasons/ideas as to why it doesnt add mass though?

Id be interested in reading some reserach on why certain multi's are better than others....

With any type of lifting program the first set is always the most important and every set after gets marginally less effective. I shouldnt say it doesnt add mass. Thats a blanket statement, and it actually depends on how youre setting up your set scheme. If it was 10,12,15 for example then it will put on more mass than say 6,8,10,12 (which is what i do). With my first set (6) it's essentially a strength rep with each set being less effective than the previous even though its in a mass building rep range.

The hardest part is determing what weight youre going to start your sets with.

idk.

I don't hit my stride until the 3rd set and on most of the time.

The reverse pyramid makes sense if you're training until muscle fatigue but other than that it's prob. counter productive.

How is it counter productive? Its biomechanically set up the same way the body works.

If you dont hit your stride till the 3rd set then your first 2 arent high enough.

15 reps building mass?

i always thought maybe 8-12 for mass ,lower for strength.....i pretty much always do sets of 8 or less

Originally Posted by wanksta23

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Christ jesus, I just started HIIT today. This after not even bringing myself near any sort of running exercise since hitting the gym in june really made me fall flat on my face. I decided to do 30 sec. sprints with 90 sec intervals of walking in between. Needless to say, after my 5th set of sprints, I was completely done. It didn't help that my first 3 were accompanied by a strong opposing wind but still. I almost made myself look like a fool today, swear I was gonna have a heart attack. I think im gonna ease into this tomorrow
laugh.gif

BTW do you guys always do a warm-up jog for like 5 minutes or so? Because I didn't
embarassed.gif
of course...i get my second wind after jogging for 5-10 mins

Yeah HIIT is a %+@@!, it really works though. I do the 30secs 90rest 6reps - but im probably going to cut it down to 60secs rest. I usually die around the4th set. But the key IMO is just to go hardout every interval. If you can only do 3 reps @ 90-100%, its better than doing 6 reps at 70%.

And yes warm-up! To me its better if I break a sweat prior to ruining my life for 10-15 mins. Look to switch HIIT up with Tabata, like Burpees and Complexes.

^I always thought 6-8 was mass (heavy weight though) whereas 10-12 was for strength and a relatively lighter weight. IMO this time around im trying to mix insome dropsets 1-2x a week. And probably do something like 4x8 with heavy weights rather than 3x10 with lighter-%*+ weights.

Ive read some journals and people doing 12x4.. damn

I HIGHLY doubt you guys are literally sprinting for 30 seconds straight. I mean, I ran the 400m in high school and was running around 0:50 and I would be*dead* after one race.

It's more realistic if you do a 10 second sprint, followed by a 20 second rest. If you're fairly fast you will be running around 80m-90m which iscovering a lot of distance.

How does the reverse pyramid work? You lift your heaviest weight first and then pyramid down?

I dont know how it's even possible to do that. Say your max bench press is 100 pounds...you start your workout benching 100 pounds while your muscles arecold and then go down? I dont think I'm comprehending this correctly.

About HIIT...I always take those routines online with a grain of salt. People talking about 20 seconds sprint followed by 10-40 seconds of rest. There is nohuman being on the planet who can sprint at 100% effort for 20-30 seconds and then rest for under a minute and then repeat at 100% 5-10 more times. Mysuggestion is just push yourself as hard as possible but pace yourself. If you go 100% the first sprint you'll be completely winded by your 2nd or 3rd set.

iMixedi has it right...10 second sprint followed by a 20+ sec rest is way more realistic and do-able. 20-30 second sprints with little rest is a recipe fordisaster...your technique will likely be off which will only increase the likelihood of injury for your body.

Originally Posted by DaBuddhaWitJays

Anyone got a simple beginner HIIT routine I can follow?
sprint for 15 secs

walk/jog for 30

just play with it a little bit, maybe you can sprint for 15 secs and may need to walk/jog for 60 secs...

also for the person asking how whey tropical punch taste like...
it was okay...i drank it with water and it tasted like a strawberry smoothie made with water
laugh.gif

i think it taste awesome with milk though

Originally Posted by iMixedi

I HIGHLY doubt you guys are literally sprinting for 30 seconds straight. I mean, I ran the 400m in high school and was running around 0:50 and I would be *dead* after one race.

It's more realistic if you do a 10 second sprint, followed by a 20 second rest. If you're fairly fast you will be running around 80m-90m which is covering a lot of distance.

Of course its impossible to sprint 100% for 30secs - thats not the point of HIIT. Your meant to run as hard and as fast as you can within a given time period,followed but a low interval of running/jogging.

IMO a 1:2 ratio isn't that great, unless your really wanting to increase your speed. You probably won't build endurance this way. I prefer a 1:1 or1:2 ratio.

I think that its much more realistic to go at 100% intensity on an elliptical.

If you're a beginner...

-Warm up for 5 mins on an elliptical

-Turn up the resistance to whatever challenges you...I usually turn it up to a 10 or 11 out of 20.

-Go as fast as possible for 20 seconds...On the Precor Elliptical it means I usually do about 260+ RPM

-Go slow for 40 seconds...your RPM will probably be in the high 100's.

Go as fast as possible again for 20 seconds. Repeat this and the resting phase until you're too tired. When you've had enough, decrease the resistanceand cool down for 5 minutes.

I'm guessing most of the people in here are in their 20's so they should be aiming for a heart rate of 170-180 beats per minute.

smh.gif

Baseball practice starts tomorrow. 1st week = running OD. stadium steps @ Cole Field House.

Not looking forward to that, plus i did heavy squats and lunges today.

is there anything wrong with doing cardio on a bike?

i was the the gym and everyone was on the waiting list for the treadmills while there were only like 3 people (myself included) on bikes. ive lost alot ofweight while actually biking outdoors but i was just wondering what's the consensus opinion on them compared to other cardio machines

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by wanksta23

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Christ jesus, I just started HIIT today. This after not even bringing myself near any sort of running exercise since hitting the gym in june really made me fall flat on my face. I decided to do 30 sec. sprints with 90 sec intervals of walking in between. Needless to say, after my 5th set of sprints, I was completely done. It didn't help that my first 3 were accompanied by a strong opposing wind but still. I almost made myself look like a fool today, swear I was gonna have a heart attack. I think im gonna ease into this tomorrow
laugh.gif

BTW do you guys always do a warm-up jog for like 5 minutes or so? Because I didn't
embarassed.gif
of course...i get my second wind after jogging for 5-10 mins

Yeah HIIT is a %+@@!, it really works though. I do the 30secs 90rest 6reps - but im probably going to cut it down to 60secs rest. I usually die around the 4th set. But the key IMO is just to go hardout every interval. If you can only do 3 reps @ 90-100%, its better than doing 6 reps at 70%.

And yes warm-up! To me its better if I break a sweat prior to ruining my life for 10-15 mins. Look to switch HIIT up with Tabata, like Burpees and Complexes.

^I always thought 6-8 was mass (heavy weight though) whereas 10-12 was for strength and a relatively lighter weight. IMO this time around im trying to mix in some dropsets 1-2x a week. And probably do something like 4x8 with heavy weights rather than 3x10 with lighter-%*+ weights.

Ive read some journals and people doing 12x4.. damn
HIIT isn't meant to be an all out exercise. 80-90% max effort is what people generally aim for. the longer the "work" interval is,the harder it is to gauge effort, because you'll be pacing yourself from the start. in other words, it's easier to maintain a given level of intensity(even if it's very high) if the interval is short. the shorter the rest interval is in relation to the work interval, the more of a conditioning effectyou get, and you burn more calories this way also.

if you're concerned about your top speed, you should be doing short work intervals with long rest intervals, something like 1:3 or 1:2, even 1:4. tabataprotocol uses 2:1 intervals, so it'll hurt your top speed slightly if you do a lot of it or lots of short rest HIIT.

for weight training, i've read 1-5 reps gives you strength with minimal mass, but there was no consensus on the best rep range for mass. i think mostsources said something like 8-12 reps

For those that care, I started taking the BSN Mass Stack Elite Supplements and I must say, NO-Xplode is a best seller for a reason. It's a pre-workout suppyou take about 30-45 minutes before your workout and wow did I feel strong. I added extra weight to every exercise that I did last week and finished my setswith ease. If I stay consistent, i'm hoping to add at least 5 lbs of lean muscle. Again I will keep those interested with updates. What's everyone elsetaking by the way?

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

How does the reverse pyramid work? You lift your heaviest weight first and then pyramid down?

I dont know how it's even possible to do that. Say your max bench press is 100 pounds...you start your workout benching 100 pounds while your muscles are cold and then go down? I dont think I'm comprehending this correctly.
Yeah thats how it works. Assuming you warm up correctly, its very possible. Theres a VERY light warm up set done before the initial set (30-40%)then you just start with the heaviest weight. It takes a time or two to get used to it, but youll notice your lifts increasing.

15 reps building mass?

i always thought maybe 8-12 for mass ,lower for strength.....i pretty much always do sets of 8 or less

Youre right, 15 is in an endurance frame. I said that maybe it could put on mass if you start at 10 (mass) and work your way down from there to 15.

Damn protein counts getting to high.. I feel like im in a plateau. Might need to increase carbs too

I need to add more fats to my diet, more peanut butter and olive oil. Im off to buy some fish caps..

Originally Posted by akf0dy7

I lost 11lbs in 2weeks i went from 200 to 189 by just changing what i ate and doing the 5-6 meals a day. props to all the dudes in here dropping knowledge.
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

this thread is awesome, cats really not playin around

Hope you guys are logging your meals and workouts. It is very motivational. I have the Apple Nike+ for my running and a Iphone app called LooseIt for loggingmeals. It helps.

any have good suggestions for me and my biceps?

ive been going to the gym for the past few years and my body is pretty define but my biceps have platued.

Im not looking to get huge or anything just cut and you can see it but at the gym I feel really weak when it comes to my biceps. Im always struggling.

Originally Posted by xxxoverridexxx

any have good suggestions for me and my biceps?

ive been going to the gym for the past few years and my body is pretty define but my biceps have platued.

Im not looking to get huge or anything just cut and you can see it but at the gym I feel really weak when it comes to my biceps. Im always struggling.
Get some resistance bands from walmart. I take them everywhere. Also do supersets of bicep and tricep exercises. Build your triceps and everythingelse will follow.

Back
Top Bottom