Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

I worked out legs heavy yesterday doing squats and deadlifts to the point of exhaustion.

I planned on resting today and hitting the weights again on Thursday but I woke up today feeling great. No pain at all anywhere in my body (must've beenthe foam roller).

Would it be wise for me to hit the gym again today? I feel like doing some full body circuit training including some light squats and deadlifts (just 135pounds) as well as light upper body exercises.

Or should I just lift upper body?

Or option #3 (which I dont want to do) is just take the entire day off and hit the gym tomorrow.

This whole week is messed up for me...I cant work out until night which means I cant work out on Saturday or Sunday. To make things worse, this past Monday wasa holiday and my gym closed at 3pm
smh.gif
. My plan was just to work out on Tuesdayand Thursday this week but I'm feeling good today
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by IICEMAN83

Originally Posted by ballhog13

i'll do forearms once in a blue moon

whats wrong w/ "arm day"

u could have a 7 day split like this - chest/back/rest/shoulders/legs/arms/rest
or something

Ppl usually do chest+ tri/ back+ bi, thats why they may shun arm day. But i feel doing an arm day here and there to be a must especially when focusing on arms. If anyone has totally blasted their arms to failure, they know it can be as grueling as any other major body part.
again i gotta agree with ice

i dunno Durden i wouldnt call it NOT important i dont like to think of any exercise or body part not important but thats just me.

Forearm exercises are one part of weightlifting and exercising that is overlooked more than anything else on the body.

For some reason, most people just don't take hand strength (which is what doing forearm exercises helps make stronger) seriously.

What I don't get is, why?

Your hands are used more than any other muscle in your body, besides your legs of course. Without strong hands, you can't open jars, carry heavyobjects, or any other everyday activities.

While this may make life an inconvenience sometimes, this type of hand weakness is absolutely detrimental to an athlete.

Think about it - what sport out there doesn't involve using your hands? Baseball, basketball, football, and maybe even soccer if you're grabbingyour opponents jersey. Without strong hands, you simply aren't going to be effective on the field.

And this is where forearm exercises come in.

By building hand and wrist strength, you'll have an advantage over all of your opponents. Better yet, you'll have an advantage in the weight room soyou can be able to lift more weight and become much stronger than them in all areas of your body as well!

You'll also be building protection around your joints so any type of wrist sprain will be much less likely. How many times have you heard of a person whoseyear got ruined because of a bad sprain?

So What Are Some Good Forearm Exercises?

I have a few that have come to be my favorite. They consist of the following: rope climbing, using a wrist roller, pinch gripping, and using handgrippers.

By using a combination of those 4 types of exercises you'll hit the forearms/wrists/hands from every angle and be able to bring out the most strengthpossible. You'll also get them ready for any situation!

Do yourself a favor and don't discount the important of your lower arms. Sure, they might not be the centerpiece of your body for showing off, butthey're extremely important for both athletes as well as everyday guys and girls just looking to do daily chores a bit easier.

Just today I had to carry my 30 gallon fish aquarium across my room. I picked it up by the edges of the glass too - think I could have done that with weakhands? Of course not!

Forearm exercises are extremely important for everybody, and I highly recommend looking into it a bit deeper and working those hands!

IICE was right when he said it helps for grip, i agree

to each their own

Originally Posted by Al Audi

IICEMAN83 wrote:
ballhog13 wrote:

whats wrong w/ "arm day"

or something

Ppl usually do chest+ tri/ back+ bi, thats why they may shun arm day. But i feel doing an arm day here and there to be a must especially when focusing on arms. If anyone has totally blasted their arms to failure, they know it can be as grueling as any other major body part.

i dunno Durden i wouldnt call it NOT important i dont like to think of any exercise or body part not important but thats just me.

So youre calling it important? If someone came to you and asked for the basics and most important exercises to do, youd give them wrist curls as an example? Theres no way.

No one ever said that doing an arm day wasnt grueling. Any day is as difficult as you make it, but to me spending a whole day working a body part that is lessthan 10% of your total body mass is just a waste of time.

As an occasional thing, yeah I can see the benefits of it but to put it in a program is a waste.

lmao....wow. I rest my case.
...and what a case it was. Superb.

Forearms? Do some powercleans
Biceps? Use a supinated grip on your rows
Triceps? Do some dips

The bicep is one of the most useless muscles in the human body. It's only function is to bend the elbow. The only reason anyone does a bicep-specificexercise is because "they wanna get jacked brah" and fill out the sleeves in their Ed Hardy shirts.

To devote an entire day to your arms is just foolish and as I said before, a complete waste of time.

Originally Posted by Durden7

IICEMAN83 wrote:
ballhog13 wrote:

whats wrong w/ "arm day"

or something

So youre calling it important? If someone came to you and asked for the basics and most important exercises to do, youd give them wrist curls as an example? Theres no way.

No one ever said that doing an arm day wasnt grueling. Any day is as difficult as you make it, but to me spending a whole day working a body part that is less than 10% of your total body mass is just a waste of time.

As an occasional thing, yeah I can see the benefits of it but to put it in a program is a waste.

...and what a case it was. Superb.

seems like youre tryna change the topic now..............

an wait huh? when did i ever say a whole forearme day? huh?

but to just NEGLECT the forearms is silly imo are you talking to me or IICE?

IICE was right when he said it helps for grip, i agree

to each their own

Im all for rope climbing, hand grippers, that rope/weight thing that baseball players use... but a Barbell/DB wrist curl? Nooo way, no dice. Those are trash.

I have no problem with people wanting to strength their grip.... but dont go about doing it with wrist curls and call the exercise important.

wat case? all u did was misinform everybody in this thread and insulted everybody by callin us ignorant when you're obviously the idiot in this thread.

I haven't had an arm day in YEARS.

I wouldn't call it a waste of time...if you're a body builder than an arm day is probably essential.

For the rest of us normal people, having an arm day isn't necessary. Your triceps get destroyed when working out chest and almost every back exercise youdo works your biceps.

I think biceps and triceps are the least worked muscles in my body...I do 3 sets of curls maybe every 2 weeks
laugh.gif
smh.gif

As for forearm strength, dont exercises like shrugs and deadlifts work your forearms? No need to devote so much time in the gym worrying about them.

Someone answer my question above please.

Originally Posted by just bobby

wat case? all u did was misinform everybody in this thread and insulted everybody by callin us ignorant when you're obviously the idiot in this thread.

lol ok ok

IICE def isnt the best at explainin or givin info like i said before

"my arms are 4 inches shy of ronnie coleman"
laugh.gif

but all im sayin is to just neglect forearms is silly, i def incorporate them at the end of an arm day routine

whats wrong w/ "arm day"

or something

U srsly need to do some research and get some experience if you can't form ur own damn opinion instead of hanging on iice nuts sack.

U don't need to do 4 different bi ceps and 4 different tri ceps exercise to "blast" yo arms. and nobody said neglecting forearms is a good idea..were just saying u don't need to call us ignorant becus we don't do wrist curls.

lol @ goggling that forearm exercise article garbage

plenty of NORMAL people isolate muscle groups.......what gym are you guys going too?

seriously arm day, back day, leg day, ab day.....chest

end of the day its always good to change up things

whats wrong w/ "arm day"

or something

U srsly need to do some research and get some experience if you can't form ur own damn opinion instead of hanging on iice nuts sack.

U don't need to do 4 different bi ceps and 4 different tri ceps exercise to "blast" yo arms. and nobody said neglecting forearms is a good idea.. were just saying u don't need to call us ignorant becus we don't do wrist curls.

first off im not hangin on IICE nut sak

google forearm which i dont think was the exact keywords was just some info to throw in the debate between the 2

when did i call you ignorant what are you talking about?

im not even gonna waste my time with you
laugh.gif

U don't need to do 4 different bi ceps and 4 different tri ceps exercise to "blast" yo arms.

where did i say this? what are you talking about?

o yea welcome to NT an feel free to post some pics, i dont recognize you in this thread.

edit: i went back a page, i guess IICE call you ignorant lol.................i def didnt, calm down an bring some legit info to the thread.

funny how numbers do matter on a message board, i feel like i dont know you yet, so a constructive debate is a waste of time, weve got off on thewrong foot
laugh.gif

Just came back from Trader Joe's....dang even they got their own organic whey protein going on.
laugh.gif

whats wrong w/ "arm day"

or something

U don't need to do 4 different bi ceps and 4 different tri ceps exercise to "blast" yo arms. and nobody said neglecting forearms is a good idea.. were just saying u don't need to call us ignorant becus we don't do wrist curls.

google forearm which i dont think was the exact keywords was just some info to throw in the debate between the 2

laugh.gif

U don't need to do 4 different bi ceps and 4 different tri ceps exercise to "blast" yo arms.

laugh.gif

o yea welcome to NT an feel free to post some pics, i dont recognize you in this thread.

"hey guys im going to agree wit icee on this one again cus i'm too stupid to form my own opinion. im just going to believe watever he says to looksmart and contribute to dis thread YEA"

Your boyfriend icee was calling us ignorant becus we don't workout our forearms.... "wrist curls are the best forearm exercise come guys lets get acircle jerk going on" - icee

You're obviously clueless on wat we were discussin fo the last few post so jus +%*% already.

forget it audi...just know they wont be able to carry any fish tanks lol

And hey, Ronnies arms are 24"....

^If you only know how much ICEMAN and Al Audi beef with each other....

whats wrong w/ "arm day"

or something

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

"hey guys im going to agree wit icee on this one again cus i'm too stupid to form my own opinion. im just going to believe watever he says to look smart and contribute to dis thread YEA"

Your boyfriend icee was calling us ignorant becus we don't workout our forearms.... "wrist curls are the best forearm exercise come guys lets get a circle jerk going on" - icee

You're obviously clueless on wat we were discussin fo the last few post so jus +%*% already.

laugh.gif

because i dont agree with DURDEN this one time................guy drops plenty of knowledge an ive even said id listen to him an a few others before iice wheni was ranting about something else

i even state to each their own, but i DO incorporate forearm work myself

my bf? nah..............i do bust his balls a lot myself though but the guy is a good sport, way cooler than you it seems

im clueless but youre attacking me for no reason

bobby how about you just contribute some legit info like i already stated

an again welcome to NT. youre going hard, i hope you use that in the gym

bobby you got pics? please post them..................hope you dont come back with a ignorant response either.

also any background information on your traininng/knowledge, i missed your introduction.

The same way I wouldn't criticize someone who trains crossfit or only trains doing powerlifting exercises and explosive compound lifts for their strength,speed, and condition, I don't see why people are criticizing someone training a specific muscle group. Why do we get so religious when it comes to fitnesslike there's only one way to train?

Fine, you're not concerned with the measurement of your arms or quads or how your forearms flow into your arms, into your delts, to traps, etc... Cool. Icouldn't give a #$%^ how much I can deadlift for a 1 rep max or how many muscle-ups I can do in a minute, but I'll train bi's and tri'stogether on their own day sometimes because it's a great pair of antagonistic muscle groups to train together, the pump is perfect for building thosemuscles, and because I train as a bodybuilder, not as a powerlifter, crossfit athlete, long-distance runner, or a guy who lifts weight at the gym.

I gotta agree with iice and Audi, and not because they train how I'd train, but because they're just stating that it's OK to train your arms ontheir own day, and it has its own reason that may not be important to everybody, but it's important to them, same as it's important to me. When Itrain my chest, I'm not extremely concerned with whether I bench 5 lbs heavier than I did two weeks ago, but I am concerned with making sure I hit all thefibers in my pecs from top to bottom and that I target them without overusing other muscle groups for that specific workout. We all gotta learn to co-exist inthe gym...

damn, I really wish that we had a Trader Joe's down here. All we have is Whole Foods and it's out of my way. I stop by once a week, but I usuallyforget something or run out.
Publix and Super Target have some decent stuff, but their prices are inflated. Oh well...
/rant

Oh, and I finally got around to picking up Ezekiel bread. I've had sprouted bread before, but it goes bad QUICK. Like 2 days after you get it. Gladit's frozen now.

Lol at audi on my nuts...we've had more arguments than anyone else in this thread.

But at the end of the day i respect his contribution and knowledge in this thread.

You saying hes on my nuts is like saying your on Durbens nuts cause u agree with him??

Waits for pics of yall amazing physiques!!!

As for forearm strength, dont exercises like shrugs and deadlifts work your forearms? No need to devote so much time in the gym worrying about them.

Someone answer my question above please.
To some extent, yes, but it depends on you as an individual and your body. Doing some wrist curls and a few other forearm exercises couldn'thurt. Just like there's more than one way to train your legs or your shoulders, same goes with forearms.

Personally I almost never train forearms because for me they're a dominant muscle group. My forearms grew in line with my back training and arm training,but that doesn't apply to everybody. Same way a couple of my clients can have 19 inch calves without doing a thing, and as many calf-raises as I do, minewill NEVER be that big. I'd say most people would benefit from hitting forearms once a week or at the very least once every 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom