Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

Lost 17 pounds this summer so far...anyway to spees this up I'm tryna loose 30 by the end of August..

I'm eating right ..going to the gym..drinking a gallon of water a day...any other suggestions...

Originally Posted by Seattle206

wj4, i thought you were japanese all these years.
roll.gif
roll.gif
That is a first in m life time. I've gotten a lot of Filipino and Mexican,and even some Hawaiian. What made you think so? Because I'm into Japanese cars?

Food4-Rome wasn't built in a day, bro. You didn't get fat in a day, and you won't lose it in a day. It's a gradual process.

If you look at mags like Men's Health, at the back pages, they have stories of dudes who went from fat to fit. Avg time for the whole process is around 2years.

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by I3

^ Ive heard protein should be after 45 mins of your workout and carbs within the first 45 minutes?
I'm not certain about the carbs, but everyone I know, including myself, try to take protein in within 30 mins of a workout. Hell, even EAS promotes this on their commercial.
laugh.gif

you need simple carbs with your protein as soon as possible after your workout. i suggest dextrose or maltodextrin.

when i was on a very regimented and specific weight gaining diet my post workout shake had 50g of protein and 100g of carbs from dextrose. talk about aninsulin spike. tasted like drinking cake icing. two hours later i had another meal with the same macros, but from solid foods. usually chicken or turkeywith a ton of rice.

anybody know what's good with this?..used to use hydroxycut hardcore..then scooped this up..

2z5q9g8.gif

Originally Posted by boxer

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by I3

^ Ive heard protein should be after 45 mins of your workout and carbs within the first 45 minutes?
I'm not certain about the carbs, but everyone I know, including myself, try to take protein in within 30 mins of a workout. Hell, even EAS promotes this on their commercial.
laugh.gif

you need simple carbs with your protein as soon as possible after your workout. i suggest dextrose or maltodextrin.

when i was on a very regimented and specific weight gaining diet my post workout shake had 50g of protein and 100g of carbs from dextrose. talk about an insulin spike. tasted like drinking cake icing. two hours later i had another meal with the same macros, but from solid foods. usually chicken or turkey with a ton of rice.
Yeah I still take in simple carb after I work out when I get home..it's part of my post work out meal, just a lot of fruits. BTW how'sthe swine flu in Bangkok? I hear around 30 are dead now?

Originally Posted by I3

carbs should be taken 2 hours before a workout. protein can be taken 1 hour before but best to be taken withing 45 minutes after. what you take right beforeyour workout is a pre-workout energy drink. like n.o.- explode or superpump by gaspari.

Is their a way to make your bones bigger?
grin.gif

My wrist looks like it will snap if I fall on em
laugh.gif
And great thread guys..it really motivated me to make change. Btw im 5'11 and weigh 150.

^
laugh.gif
i need my bones to grow or something too my knees look like the frailest part of mybody.
Is there a workout that might help me develop my knees? (this sounds like such a stupid question)
I already do squats and leg extensions

well, here's my lil' story... my weight fluctuated like oprah's through out my childhood, but when i hit puberty i got really skinny... around 19,20, i got a job delivering for papa johns and started gaining weight (all that free food). i got really heavy in my mid 20's, and hit the gym and alil' bit of a diet and got my weight back down. then i slacked off and blew up again, reaching 240 at my heaviest about 3 years ago...

since then i hit the gym, and hit it HARD. i've tightened up on my diet considerably, but not as much as i should. for the first year or 2 i was usinghydroxycut hardcore, but stopped about a year ago.

i've recently turned 30 and i've gotten down as low as 182, but average out between 185 - 190... i'm about 5'10, so i'm only slightly aboveaverage weight for my height. however, i've lost a ton of body fat and put on a good bit of muscle, so i guess that's gotta be factored in.

i want to lose about 15 more pounds tho. so i'm really trying to tighten up on the diet (no more fat boy sunday where i eat whatever i want though thecourse of about 2 - 3 meals, now i just eat one bad thing the whole day). i've also been taking some stuff called jack3d b4 working out, which really givesme some extra energy.

i've recently went back to cardio too, something i haven't done much of since a year or 2 ago when i was losing the bulk of my weight (i've beenfocusing more on weight lifting for the last year or so, and i actually lost a ton more weight doing so). but all i'm doing right now is the bike. i sweatmy butt off tho, so i think it's effective. i have a lower back problem right now so it's easier on me, plus i just got an iphone so the time flies bysitting there playing on it. plus, i never can run for long on a treadmill without getting serious stomach cramps.

i still have my moments on the diet tho. like, i usually eat a chicken breast or two late night for protein (and to help me sleep, i have a hard time sleepingon an empty stomach), but tonight i didn't have any cooked, and the grill needs gas, so i said screw it and brought some guacamole, and salsa home fromwork and ate some with some baked, reduced fat chips. not ideal this late at night, in fact, slips like that are the devil when trying to lose weight (and forsome reason it's way harder to lose weight right now, than it was losing that first 60 - 75 pounds i lost).

as for motivation, well i'll tell you this:

i originally hit it hard this last time (and kept it off this time) to change my lifestyle for once and for all, so i didn't end up obese, or unhealthy,and health problem prone in a few more years... but also to prove it to myself that i could, and prove to a few haters that i could.

but what i ended up realizing, what is now probably my biggest motivation: the ATTENTION FROM WOMEN!

i never had too hard a time pulling girls when i was chub rock, because i was still decently handsome, had decent style, and i was a dj.

but once i really slimmed down, and put on some muscle, my god! had i known how much attention i could get from hot women from looking like this, i wouldanever allowed myself to get chubby at all (it's hard now too because had i started lifting while still super skinny, it'd just show automatically, andi'd look super toned and cut immediately, but after being chubby, there's still some fat there and stretched skin that has to be filled with way moremuscle than usual to make it look nice and tight).

i mean, i've pulled straight up model looking chicks this last couple years. it's amazing. i get hit on all the time, and catch tons and tons of womenlooking at me. and that's not me trying to hype myself up, that's real talk.

the absolute BEST tho is girls who used to never give me the time of day, now they sweat me mad hard.

if that's not motivation i don't know what is. now i push myself SOOOO HARD, trying to look better and better.

to give you an example of how much different i look (i no longer have to wear glasses either, i got lasik), here's a before (taken in august of 2006) &after (taken in recent months):

l_74e1bcd5ead26374945255046357bc0b.jpg

2579_62250041466_652661466_2057639_5608620_n.jpg
n652661466_1996215_1152562.jpg
n652661466_1846660_713.jpg

for the record, that last pic was taken as a joke. my girl said i looked diesel in that shirt and snapped a pic of me acting stupid.

but yeah, that's putting in work. people say i don't even look like the same person. i've had tons of people i hadn't seen in awhile not evenrecognize me.

so, moral of the story is, if you're chub rock, stop frontin', stop procrastinating, and go hard or go home!!!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Vancity74

Starting to see some decent progress in my back since I started doing power cleans. Still no where near beefcake status though...

a2yg3k.jpg

o89xg5.jpg

(excuse the picture quality, they were taken with my laptop in my living room with natural sunlight aka this is the worst I'll ever look)

Damn C,

I remember early NT days from PYP's when you were skinny.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
@ Pana and his reasons to moving to the Y.

Originally Posted by jphonix

as for motivation, well i'll tell you this:

i originally hit it hard this last time (and kept it off this time) to change my lifestyle for once and for all, so i didn't end up obese, or unhealthy, and health problem prone in a few more years... but also to prove it to myself that i could, and prove to a few haters that i could.

but what i ended up realizing, what is now probably my biggest motivation: the ATTENTION FROM WOMEN!

i never had too hard a time pulling girls when i was chub rock, because i was still decently handsome, had decent style, and i was a dj.

but once i really slimmed down, and put on some muscle, my god! had i known how much attention i could get from hot women from looking like this, i woulda never allowed myself to get chubby at all (it's hard now too because had i started lifting while still super skinny, it'd just show automatically, and i'd look super toned and cut immediately, but after being chubby, there's still some fat there and stretched skin that has to be filled with way more muscle than usual to make it look nice and tight).

i mean, i've pulled straight up model looking chicks this last couple years. it's amazing. i get hit on all the time, and catch tons and tons of women looking at me. and that's not me trying to hype myself up, that's real talk.

the absolute BEST tho is girls who used to never give me the time of day, now they sweat me mad hard.

if that's not motivation i don't know what is. now i push myself SOOOO HARD, trying to look better and better.

to give you an example of how much different i look (i no longer have to wear glasses either, i got lasik), here's a before (taken in august of 2006) & after (taken in recent months):

l_74e1bcd5ead26374945255046357bc0b.jpg

2579_62250041466_652661466_2057639_5608620_n.jpg
n652661466_1996215_1152562.jpg
n652661466_1846660_713.jpg

for the record, that last pic was taken as a joke. my girl said i looked diesel in that shirt and snapped a pic of me acting stupid.

but yeah, that's putting in work. people say i don't even look like the same person. i've had tons of people i hadn't seen in awhile not even recognize me.

so, moral of the story is, if you're chub rock, stop frontin', stop procrastinating, and go hard or go home!!!
wink.gif

Good stuff man
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Btw to get 5% off on TrueProtein go on the forum and look in someone's sig for a code, I believe everyone gets a code after they first purchase something.This benefits not only someone else but you when its used.

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by boxer

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by I3

laugh.gif

when i was on a very regimented and specific weight gaining diet my post workout shake had 50g of protein and 100g of carbs from dextrose. talk about an insulin spike. tasted like drinking cake icing. two hours later i had another meal with the same macros, but from solid foods. usually chicken or turkey with a ton of rice.
Yeah I still take in simple carb after I work out when I get home..it's part of my post work out meal, just a lot of fruits. BTW how's the swine flu in Bangkok? I hear around 30 are dead now?
to be honest i am not really sure about the swine flu in bkk. everybody at my gym constantly jokes about it if anybody gets sick. but given mydaily routine and the lack of a television i really don't know what it's status is. the last article i read online said 21 people had died and over300 were infected.

i am not really worried here in bkk. now when i fly out to hong kong for a week in the beginning of august i will be concerned.

Crazy how this thread grew... Finally checking in..
pimp.gif

Me as of right now.. Weight.. 197 about 15% BF..Not trying to lose too much weight..maybe like 5-8 lbs..

4:30am

Gatorade

6:30 POST WORKOUT

2 scoops whey/ Banana

Meal 1 7:00-7:15a.m.

1 cup oatmeal

4 egg whites

½ oz Almonds

Multi-vitamin

Water

Meal 2/10-10: 30am

1 cup cottage cheese/ 1 apple/or strawberries

Water

Meal 3/12:30-1pm
chicken breast/ veggies

½ cup brown rice

Water

Meal 4/3-3:30

Tuna/1 Egg/Mustard/Relish mixed up in a bowl. w/Apple

Water

Meal 5/Dinner 8-8:30

Chicken breast/Salmon/Steak/Tuna/Egg whites/Lean Ground Beef

broccoli/or other veggies

½ cup brown rice

Muliti-vitamin

Water

Meal 6 (right before bed)
1 cup cottage cheese
1 tbsp peanut butter/or ½ oz almonds

Water

Yo do you mean 1 CUP of cottage cheese or the 1 serving (the lil yogurt type cups)?
But I have a diet very similar to that only less meals throughout the day.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by RFX45

I asked this in the thread in S&T but there seems to be more active members monitoring this thread so I'll ask here again.

What is a good amount of carbohydrates a day in terms of grams?
I don't want to oversold myself so I'll just say for someone who does a bit of cardio/activity 30-60 minutes a day.
Carb in general? Because there's a diff between simple and complex carb.

Anywho..

Most experts recommend that 50 to 60 per cent of the total calories in our diet come from carbohydrates. The bulk of the carbs we consume should be complex and most of the simple ones should come from fruits and milk or yoghurt, which also contain vitamins and minerals.

Avoid getting the bulk of your carbs from refined foods high in sugar, since they are usually low in the nutrients we need to maintain health and energy levels.

Yeah, carbs in general without considering complex carbs. 50%-60% seems a lot, no? For someone with a BMR of 1800, it means I need to 1000+ calories from carbs? Is that right?
General rule of thumb, is the 40/40/20 split. Meaning 40% of your calories come from carbs equaling 720 calories, (about 180 grams) if you'reBMR is 1800. THEN, you take this number and tailor it to yourself after a few days of trial and error. If you begin to feel real sluggish at the gym, and findyou don't have enough energy to complete lifts at a certain intensity, then up your carbs. If you think you're not losing enough weight or bf with yourroutine, cut your carbs down.

It's all relative to your body type, and your goals.

Anyone have any experience with weight gainers? I been stuck at 158 lbs for that past 6 months (i'm 5'10). I mean i been getting bigger and all thatand most my lifts been going up, but it doesn't show up at all on the scale.

Originally Posted by jigsta05

Anyone have any experience with weight gainers? I been stuck at 158 lbs for that past 6 months (i'm 5'10). I mean i been getting bigger and all that and most my lifts been going up, but it doesn't show up at all on the scale.

If your seeing results you're probably burning more fat than you're gaining muscle. Which isn't a bad thing at all

Back
Top Bottom